General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Insurance company want my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM
PeteS2RST
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance company want my car

my car burst into flames a few weeks ago and all garages i've taken it to say its beyond economical repair , my insurance company want to pick the car up for an engineers assessment but they also want the keys,registration document, mot certificate, receipt of sale, my insurance certificate,and a photocopy of my licence. i can understand the mot licence but i cant see why they need my insurance certificate as i'm still covered for any other vehicle and may need it if i get a producer also i'm a bit wary of handing over the v5 keys AND the car. Whats the best way of telling them i would like to keep the vehicle at my house until the claim is completed without sounding dodgy after all its my property The car WAS an RS Turbo but ALL modifications were declared as well as the points on my licence.

Any suggestions

Cheers

Pete
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i had to send all that to my ins mate when my 1st cosworth went walkies
Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

remove the wheels, block it in? tell them to come and asses it at yours?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

Thats normal when the cars a write off, they asked for the same from me when I wrote off my RST. Just take a photo copy of your insurance cert if you think you'll need it later.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

You're insurance will be ceased once they pick the car up, so there's no point whatsoever in you keeping the insurance document as it will be null and void.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Also they own the car if they pay out
Old 02-10-2007, 04:57 PM
PeteS2RST
Regular Contributor

if they pay out they can have the car i thought it was a bit odd wanting everything straightaway even before its been seen by the assessor
Old 02-10-2007, 05:48 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Fil
remove the wheels, block it in? tell them to come and asses it at yours?
Exactly what i done and just as well i did as just after the assessor came and put it down to the same as yours (beyond economical repair ) a recovery truck turned up to take it away before any setalment had beed offered or agreed on.
I contacted My Insurance and then we agreed on a value and for me to keep the "salvage" which was valued at 10% of the agreed value.
I got to keep the car and got a cheque through the post in a couple of weeks.
The normal option is for the Insurance to take it away )normaly as far away for you as poss) and once you decide you want to keep it you will have to pay the storage from that day on plus any recovery costs and you also have the risk of some of the parts going missing while its in the pound
So, get it in the air
Regards
Ian
Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 PM
tomevo

There are a few options that you have:

1 - Most leading insurance companies can arrange for a home inspection to assess ya car and make a decision on whether they feel its worth repairing. If they decide its a total loss, they then can organise for a salvage company to remove your car along with your keys, V5 etc

2 - They may want you to visit one of their approved bodyshops for a full estimate to be carried out so that it can be submitted to the engineering dept at your insurer. They then may ask to come back if a engineer wants to see it in the flesh at the bodyshop - as you'll find that most of their shops will have an allocted engineer who will visit 2-3 times a week.

I would be reluctant to do as they ask without a full estimate being done or an engineer coming out to assess the vehicle. I can only presume that they have heard the words 'fire damage' and jumped to conclusions. This is because you have to have a special licence to store extensive fire damaged cars which most decent salvage companies have and your not allowed to keep them on your drive.

Speak to them mate just to make sure they fully understand the damage and what you want.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM
PeteS2RST
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tomevo
There are a few options that you have:

They may want you to visit one of their approved bodyshops for a full estimate to be carried out .
the insurers told me to get a quote myself, i'm gonna ring them in the morning and say their not having the car until a settlement has been agreed or at least an engineer has come out. the engine bay was worse hit but the whole front end needs repainting cos of the damage done by the heat
Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My sister just got left her car and got paid out, they never even asked for it back for made her deduct the salvage, so she stukc a new bumper on, left the bootlid crumpled and carried on in it, they even insured it still

Then sold it on for a hansome figure as it wasn't even recorded and the person that bought it thought it would be an easy repair
Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is your car you are paying them money.
Tell them to get thier backside to yours to see car, only give over documents when paid out, in case they "lose" evidence of it being insured at all with them, trust me it happens.
tabetha
Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it sounds like they have already made up thier minds

tell them that you do not wish to drive the car in it's current state and can they arrange someone to come and have a look at it where it currently is

don't hand over any documentation

don't give them the car

once there is an offer, in writing, explaining your options, then decide whats going to happen

you will be able to keep your car as salvage if it's total lose
you'll be able to hand the keys over if you want shot of it
you'll be able to get it fixed if they offer that service

when i wrapped my saph they came and collected it to be inspected, with 2 wheels missing and every panel bent there wan't much arguement that it was fooked and i got a cheque through the post 2 weeks later
when i pranged the granada the 3rd party insurers paid out so it's not been recorded by my insurance company as being written off so i get to keep the car with it's bent rear end