General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Computer Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2007 | 10:19 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default FAO Computer Gurus

Hi all

I have just needed to replace my PCMCIA RS232 Card, and sadly it aint the same as the last one.

Dissapointingly, Windows cant tell that it is a different piece of hardware, and is insisting on using the old drivers, which dont work.

Does anybody remember the procedure that removes the old drivers and inf files so that Windows no longer knows what the device is (and therefore allows me to install the correct drivers). I just cant remember!!!

Help!?

JJ
Old 16-09-2007 | 10:55 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Device manager

Right mouse My Computer, properties, hardware...
Old 16-09-2007 | 11:00 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Delete the old device drivers first and start again....
Old 16-09-2007 | 01:38 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dave - I know where Device Manager is mate, if it were that simple!!!

Diva - XP is cleverer than that. There is an inf file somewhere IIRC, but I cannot remember where XP puts it.

JJ
Old 16-09-2007 | 03:10 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Well, you could do a *.inf search and then relate that to the card, but, once uninstalled and then you install the new one, it should work fine ?
Old 16-09-2007 | 03:19 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Well, you could do a *.inf search and then relate that to the card, but, once uninstalled and then you install the new one, it should work fine ?
I have tried to locate and remove all of the driver files that I can see are associated with the device. These are the ones that are listed on the device driver list.

Once I then reinsert the card to use the new drivers, it states that it has found the 'BBL RS232 PCMCIA Card' but cannot find the drivers.

Sadly, it is an SKD one, not a BBL one! I dont remember where Windows saves the info on the card. dont think it is actually a .inf file. I cant remember though!

JJ
Old 16-09-2007 | 04:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Can you not do a manual install of the drivers? Usually you can stop it automatically doing it, tell it NOT to connect to the net, and then point it to a filepath to install the drivers......?

Trending Topics

Old 16-09-2007 | 04:23 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Can you not do a manual install of the drivers? Usually you can stop it automatically doing it, tell it NOT to connect to the net, and then point it to a filepath to install the drivers......?
The trouble is that Windows does not believe that they are the correct drivers. As such, when you try to install the driviers manually, it simply tells you that there are no suitable drivers! Gotta love Microsoft havent you!

JJ
Old 16-09-2007 | 04:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Reformat
Old 17-09-2007 | 08:07 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Reformat
Nice!

Up again for the work skivers on Monday am!

JJ
Old 17-09-2007 | 09:20 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
The trouble is that Windows does not believe that they are the correct drivers. As such, when you try to install the driviers manually, it simply tells you that there are no suitable drivers! Gotta love Microsoft havent you!

JJ
Are you sure the new drivers are the corret ones?
Can you not download a fresh set of drivers off the net?
Old 18-09-2007 | 09:11 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DaveZS
Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75

JJ
Are you sure the new drivers are the corret ones?
Can you not download a fresh set of drivers off the net?
Hi mate

Yes, I am happy they are the correct drivers. I have had this problem before with XP. Basically with cheaper hardware (such as PCMCIA RS232 cards) Windows cant distinguish between them. In this case, it just assumes all RS232 cards that are now put in the machine are the same as the first card that was in there (which it isnt).

JJ