General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying an ST220..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Buying an ST220..

Going to look at one at the w/e. I have done a forum search and the only thing that has been mentioned really is checking the seams on the bottoms of the doors for rust. Is that really all the goes wrong??

The vehicle in question is an '03 estate with 50k miles on it.

Cheers

Martyn
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a mate of mine has one, 53 plate estate also.

Really lovely car, recaro leather, satnav etc. Only problem he's had is the jack-point covers dropping off and dangling off the side of the car all the time. This was a problem on the ST24 as well, but the ST220 seems to have stronger retaining straps so they don't drop off and get run over
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
BigMouthBillyBass

http://www.archersofashby.co.uk/

thats where his came from, Ford Direct car....belonged to someone in Ford Management apparently
Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
coco16i

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic cars mate and would love another one.

Had a 53 plate one and loved evry minute was behind the wheel of it, lovely sound comes off them and bags of power, if you are really hard on them you can get them to perform like a rwd car !!!!!!!!

Prob one of the best handling cars i have driven but can be a bit of a handful in the wet

Only thing that ever went wrong in a year and a half was the wiring for the hego sensor rubbed through near the bulkhead and put the eng management light on, replaced the sensor and was as good as new again.

They do go through tyres are quite an alarming rate though if you really use the car and went through 3 sets in under 20k miles.!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

there's a short write up on them in this months car mechanics
chain driven cams etc and book values at Ł4500 for an 02 car
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

The best value for money car i've ever bought Its been perfect for the last 2 years although the brakes are rather inadequate, 1.55 tonnes and standard across the range Mondo brakes ain't clever

Depending upon how long you wish to keep the car then you may not worry about the rust underneath the doors too much as Ford will replace the doors (all 4) under warranty and this is on EVERY MK3 Mondeo, hatchbacks & saloons too.

Apparantly the doors had the wrong mastic/sealer/wax used.
A Ford dealer told me this and that there shouldn't be any resistance to getting it done for free under warranty (meaning they'll do it even if you havn't got the body inspection stamps up to date).

All my doors were done under warranty even before Ford accepted there was a problem so I know this as fact!

Its up to you but finding an ST220 estate with rusting doors (and a few dents in them, etc) might give you an excuse to knock the price down!

I looked over a 220 estate for a mate 2 months ago, he paid Ł7.5K for it, 26K miles, XENONS, although the rust wasn't obvious the o/s rear door had tiny lumps under the paint already!

The cheapest one I've ever seen was for Ł7250 and this was a pile of shit, worn through drivers seat, damage repaired (obvious rear ended), aircon not working, brakes and tyres near limit, fluid leaks, etc.

July 2003 & onwards cars have later dash which looks more modern plus 6 speed gearbox. The bling chromed up 2005 ones look a bit naf to me!

Be careful and best of luck,
Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

brakes on the estate are shite, even though they are were all new just after i bought the car (and for the MOT too)

it doesn't handle as well as i was exeting either, but the ride is good and you know exactly what the wheels are doing (not going where you are turning normally )
Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
coco16i

Originally Posted by littlebrownbike
3 sets in 20k miles? You must driver like a fooking rally driver I had Toyos on mine that have done 7k and a few track days and have just under 4mm tread left. I musn't be trying hard enough

The roads up here where i stay mate are like a fucking rally stage !!!!!

Rough as fuck torn tarmac and full of pot holes so they soon chew up a set of tyres !!!! Especially when you drive these things like they should be driven

Mine had done 24k when i sold it and front shocks were on there way out and very soft by that mileage, again that might be due to the poor roads up here but would like to have though a set of decent uprated shockers like whats fitted to the ST's would have lasted longer than that !!!!

They are spanking cars mate and you get a lot of car for your money, would love to have tried mine on a track but never got the chance before sold it, more like the wife wouldn't let me
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
coco16i

24k out of the shocks? Thats madness, either they were faulty or the roads round you are really bad. Mine has been on Eibach lowering springs and done over 50k miles, 250 miles of which were on track and the dampers are still in good nick. Which I find quite surprising

Only weird thing with Mondeos is that they all appear to handle different, I've driven 4 (3 of which being on the same suspension setup) and they all had different handling charistics despite the tyres being the same. How weird is that!

The roads up here aint to clever mate but still would have expected the tyres and shocks to last longer than they did !!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the handling is ace on the mondeo myself, it's comfortable but does actually corner ok when pushed.

always found the brakes very good and never seen a rusty one, think i'd rather a st tdci though.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

Mine has been on Eibach lowering springs and done over 50k miles, 250 miles of which were on track and the dampers are still in good nick.

Only weird thing with Mondeos is that they all appear to handle different, I've driven 4 (3 of which being on the same suspension setup) and they all had different handling characteristics despite the tyres being the same. How weird is that!
Was yours an estate?
I ask as I tried 19's on mine which made it look like a 4x4, so phoned Eibach direct to ask if they do a spring kit which they said they won't do for estate cars with self levelling rear dampers!

Unless the tyre pressures were similar on the 3 identical cars you drove then they will feel very different. The difference in feel on mine between 32psi (around town) and 36psi (laden/motorway) is huge. Even a full tank to near empty makes the back end feel different!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

the KPI is almost half what mine is
interesting stuff

How easy was it and how did you measure KPI on a Mondo as in with the wheel on or off and what tools?
Do you know how many degrees its meant to be and how much scrub?

I assumed it would actually have negative scrub as the lower ball joint is further outboard than any other car i've measured (for brakes) so far. Ford describe the front suspension geometry as "easy steering" which I assume is excessive camber under lock leaving bicycle tyre width to turn easily on which explains why the inside tread gets really chamfered!

Not sure how accurate the lower wishbones are but you might want to check if the front subframe is alligned correctly or adjust it laterally to alter the KPI if both sides are out by opposite amounts. I assume the top mounts are not adjustable in any way?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Mondeo's suffer quite badly with siezed handbrake cables/ rear brake calipers, look for a red-ish colour on the the rear discs, a sure sign that this is the case normally.

Otherwise a really nice car!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Stuart.W
Regular Contributor

If you know anything I don't then please tell
wish I could but not that clued up on MacPherson struts, you've looked into it alot more than me, very interesting info' you've put up,