General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

BMW Techies again - E39 Aircon - anyone knowlegable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW Techies again - E39 Aircon - anyone knowlegable?

Quick question that I've asked on the E39 forum, but people on there are too slow to even reply

Here is what I asked:

"Am I right in thinking that if the Air Con system pressure is low, or the refrigerant has escaped somehow, then when you press the button for the Air Con to start on the control panel, it will not engauge the compressor via the magnetic clutch or the auxillary fan infront of the radiator? (In order to prevent any damage to the compressor as from what I know about air conditioning (very little. lol) the refrigerant is also a lubricant for the compressor internals?)"

Any of you lot (AlexF in particular) got any idea?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

it will not engage the compressor, but the fan may still come on at low speed. depends how they are controlled, probably both via the engine management on that, so probably neither will start

the only way that the system pressure will be low is if the refrigerant has escaped, or it is very cold outside

alternatively, the pressure switch / transducer may have failed
Old 06-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Righty

Done a check, and the system pressure is low, infact, its nearly empty with only air coming out of the fill valve and no refrigerant

So that explains one thing

Next question is where is the best place to get the aircon re-gassed, oiled and refrigerated?

Looking at the service history, it has never been done on my car and with it being only 5 years old, I can't see there being a problem with leaks unless something major has gone wrong (again, looking at the S/H there is nothing to suggest any aircon probs)

Cheers
Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My mondeo A/C leaked out its refrigerant, so although the light came on, nothing happened. I had it re-charged, and it worked fine for about a day, then one of the hoses split, was oily goo everywhere! Could be a sign that one of your hoses is on its way out perhaps? Make sure you get a proper pressure check carried out when you have the a/c service done

Got the hose replaced, and its all fine now
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as on msn
Old 06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

there will be a leak somewhere - all of the refrigerant should not have leaked out in 5 years.

first thing that a service place should do is a vacuum test - that will show any major leaks, but will tell you nothing about where they are (if they show up under vacuum, as many do not)

next they should pressurise with dry nitrogen and leak check. best way to find a leak is a washing up liquid solution sprayed all over (i would suspect a stone hole in the condenser first of all). no leak dye or all that bollocks

once leak has been identified and rectified, then vaccum and recharge adding any oil if necessary
Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Wheres best to get aircon serviced then? and do not say bmw
Old 06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

no idea around your way i'm afraid.

i do it myself but as i've been working in the industry for nearly 12 years i'm getting quite good at it
Old 06-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceland
Wheres best to get aircon serviced then? and do not say bmw
If its empty a guy I know will do a check and re-gas for about £50-60 dependant on how much gas is required.
He will charge you about £20 just to check the system, but he wont do any repairs.