General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ST24/V6 mondeo water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 PM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piece of cake to do mate.

You can get the pump from most motor factor nowadays (quinton hazel do one) for around £40.

It is located on the top right hand side of the engine and is three bolts to remove it and then five more to split it. I can do one in less than an hour now a days.

It is also worth moving the IMRC (Mk1's dont have one though) from under the black cover on top of the front manifild to under the battery to stop it getting too hot and playing up.

Any more problems just PT me.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

bookwyse
Were/are you a regular on fordmondeo.org ? Thought i recognised the name. (i posted as st24cossie)
Think my imrc is knakered, where cheapest to buy them ?

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Now you've got me thinking:
inlet manifold something control.....

its a small box that houses a little circuit board and electric motor, and it operates to open the secondary inlet butterfly valves in the maifold above 3.5k rpm when under load, to utilise all 12 inlet tracts rather than only 6 inlet tracts at the bottom end of rev range. Its all about controlling fuel economy and maximising torque was my understanding.
Because it is bolted to the top of the engine it gets very hot and the circuitry often fails. As i believe mine has at the moment, so above 3.5k rpm i get a loud deep resonating noise and NO proper accelaration.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

inlet manifold runner control, about 100 quid from ford.

steve
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
JanDK

What does it feel like if these butterflyes dont work properly??? I got a mk1 v6 mondeo automatic and I think it is ultra slow unless I beat it big time!! And it is always with kickdown if accelrating more than "eco-drive".. keep steeping the throttle slowly down... SUDDENLY it makes kickdown and drive like a devil, just like there not enough torque in the low range.

Sorry.. wasnt meant to hijack the thread .. but does you guys have an idea?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JanDK
What does it feel like if these butterflyes dont work properly??? I got a mk1 v6 mondeo automatic and I think it is ultra slow unless I beat it big time!! And it is always with kickdown if accelrating more than "eco-drive".. keep steeping the throttle slowly down... SUDDENLY it makes kickdown and drive like a devil, just like there not enough torque in the low range.

Sorry.. wasnt meant to hijack the thread .. but does you guys have an idea?

Thanks
to check the secondaries are working open the bonnet the look down under the throttle body you will see an actuator(looks like one on a turbo) it has an arm on it rev the engine to 4k you should see the arm move, if it doesn't you have a vac leak, the pipe are very small and go brittle with age/heat, and may need changing.
The mk2 models have electic and cable driven contorollers to avoid this, but there ecu to control this is on top of the engine and fries!!lol

steve
Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 PM
JanDK

Oki dokie.. can it be done without load??

Have actualy seen what you describes.. just wasnt aware about how it worked.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
bookwyse

Originally Posted by Dave Ridge
bookwyse
Were/are you a regular on fordmondeo.org ? Thought i recognised the name. (i posted as st24cossie)
Think my imrc is knakered, where cheapest to buy them ?

Dave

Dave,

Yes I am a regular on MEG and numerous other Mondeo sites all using the same username. Makes it easier to spot me.LOL

The cheapest place for a new one is www.ford-partsuk.com. Ask for Trevor and he will sort you out. However they are around £115plus VAT so if you get one move it to undert the battery tray to keep it cool.

Jan DK, yes it is possible to test it without load. They should open up between 3750rpm and WOT. The best way to test is to stand at the passenger side of the car and whilst operating the throttle watch to see if the lever that opens the secondaries moves. If it doesnt move then a MK1's are operated by a vacuum and if you look at the mechanism you will see the actuator and all of the associated pipework. Check all of these as like The Youth has said they do go very brittle over time.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 AM
JanDK

Thank you all.. ALOT
Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the youth orbookwyse

My imrc cable has snapped, hence the secondries are not opening, can this be replaced or is it the complete imrc unit and cable??

cheers
Dave