General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ever wondered why most CD's/mp3's sound sh*t?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 01:34 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

.............is that just a discussion or is there an intended point?

Compression was originally used because otherwise the quieter parts of a recording would vanish into the noise floor of the media or playback equipment. As the article says, CD's support a much much wider dynamic range and have no intrinsic noise floor (the noise floor is a property only of the recording/playback equipment), but people don't just 'listen' to music as much these days - we play it in noisy environments like cars or shops, and at low volume while we converse or under dialog in a film. Therefore the audio is mastered using dynamic compression so as to provide a more even level that will not vanish beneath the acoustic noise floor. The newly compressed signal can then have gain applied so as to sit in the most significant bits of the CD's sample size, thus getting the most out of the playback devices electronics.....

Ok maybe it has gone too far, mostly in commercial pop, but it's far from a conspiracy! Who can blame the labels/mastering studios when it has been commercially demonstrated that people are willing to sacrifice quality for convenience (mp3 downloads)?

Chris
Old 03-09-2007 | 01:59 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

It is true that good quality CD player will out perform a good quality record player in terms of linearity, dynamic range, noise floor, distortion, transient response etc....basically the noise coming out will be a lot closer to the noise recorded. But yes, it's a con that this extra capability isn't really used in commercial recordings.

The other factor that has lead to this situation, is the fact that these days people buy cheaper hi-fi's with less headroom, necesitating compression so as to get a high enough average SPL out of them. Yes, modern equipment has advanced immensly, but your average listener doesn't spend as much on a playback system as they would have a decade or two ago.

Perhaps /a/ solution is to incorporate compression in the playback medium, so it could be bypassed on high-end systems? OK so it would be much less sophisticated than the processing used in mastering studios, but would the people buying lower-end systems necessarily mind? Most MP3 players already have DSP capability - it's not expensive...and there's no reason some meta data couldnt be added to a WAVE or MP3 file to prescribe the intended compression settings, rather than using a one-size-fits-none approach....

Chris
Old 03-09-2007 | 05:12 AM
buzznwood
Part of the Furniture

The sound quality of CD's has been going down the toilet for years, the increase in low quality bit rate downloadable music will only continue to add to the general poor standard , after all most people are not going to notice the difference when listening on ear buds.

It's a shame as solid state storage size has increased rapidly while the price has also gone down at a similar rate and with more people on faster net connections people could at least make use of the higher quality bit rates which can have no noticable difference to the original CD.

At least with most dvd movies some effort has been put into the quality of the mix and trying to make full use of the dynamic range and with the newer HD formats having lossless at least those of us who have decided to invest in a bit more than your typical cheap HTIB set up have something to look forward too, of course I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time the quality for movies went down the same route as CD's
Old 03-09-2007 | 08:11 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Matt J
Didnt say it was a conspiracy as such,
Treading dangerously close though.

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2007 | 08:21 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjwood555
It is true that good quality CD player will out perform a good quality record player in terms of linearity, dynamic range, noise floor, distortion, transient response etc....basically the noise coming out will be a lot closer to the noise recorded.
sorry .. but i can say that given the chance i would rather listen to my transcription turntable to any cd player..

listening back to back to 2 identical albums on both devices the bit of black plactic wins...
Old 03-09-2007 | 09:01 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by buzznwood
The sound quality of CD's has been going down the toilet for years, the increase in low quality bit rate downloadable music will only continue to add to the general poor standard , after all most people are not going to notice the difference when listening on ear buds.
Interesting post!...... but isn't the above the whole point?

I'm sure sales of very high end audio equipment are a strong as ever, but I reckon it's a safe bet that the majority of people listen to music on a personal MP3 player of some description......... and now for convenience, a docking station for said MP3 player.

The point being that the mass market consumer probably doesn't notice, or much care.
Old 03-09-2007 | 11:54 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

check out this thread, has a youtube link explaining it in an idiots way

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...ce8406884775e9
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:01 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

i thought ginge had changed his name there for a minute

then graham posted up later on too so that ruled him out of the equation

i listen to music on the radio, and it's shit when the reception is shit and great when the reception is great

it's the music that tends to make the change the stations more than the quality
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:13 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I agree that the majority dont care Rich, as I said its a big shame cause I'm sure if they managed to get a listen to a good system they might enjoy it to the point of buying something half decent to play back their own music, hi-fi doesnt have to be expensive, Ł250 spent on ebay will trounce any modern one box/mp3 based solution of the same value.

High end audio is in limbo a bit TBH, its not like the 70's and 80's when everyone wanted a decent hi-fi, the one box solution slowed things down and now mp3/streaming music has pretty much killed the industry off, only the really big UK makers managing to staying afloat (one of which has had to remove the cheaper range of products from the list just to keep going)

Most hi-fi is made in asia now and is not upto much.

And I agree with pete, I havent heard a CDP in any price bracket (only heard upto 5k though) that can compare to the sound of only a reasonable quality turntable.
100% agree mate. I'm a total nut when it comes to this stuff. Even my old car had a ridiculously high end setup!

Be interesting to see Doug Stirling's take on this, as he is somewhat the resident expert!
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Originally Posted by dojj
i thought ginge had changed his name there for a minute
Theres only one ginge, I blatently copied and pasted it
are you saying ginge posted the original words then