General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nitrous as Anti Lag- Anyone have EXPERIENCE of it?

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Originally Posted by aduz
that guy in that vid is a loony
The one Rab posted? Thats tame for him!

When he was getting it right a bit later on, fucking hell. It didn't seem possible that he was not in a pile of flaming wreckage. How that car remained on the track and not in the stands is a mystery.....

He was going faster round the corners, totally and utterly sideways and wheels smoking, than most people would get round them with grip in a track car
Old 14-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Badman38
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Im a bit wary about this reply, as im having to really simplify things here and probably doing so to an extent its not totally accurate, but it should hopefully "get your head round" how it works.

Originally Posted by Stavros
Tim+Tony. That good is it? How big a difference does a 25 shot make? Making me think a 50shot would be fine in my application then.
Exhaust gas volume from nitrous burning with fuel is about 80-90% (i cant remember exact figure but its lower due to less nitrogen than in air) what it would be from "normal bhp"

So:
if your turbo needs to see 140bhp worth of exhaust gasses before it really starts to spool

off boost 3rd gear on the flat, 3000rpm, flowing 50bhp of gas (ie engine only making 100bhp at this point at most without boost and you are only at half throttle) the turbo is just overcoming its inertia and starting to spin very slowly but doing nothing useful, you go full throttle

With no gas:
The engine revs are slowly increasing cause it doesnt have enough power to accelerate the car hard so it cant build RPM, it slowly crawls its way up to 3500rpm, you are 4 seconds in and nothing has happened yet really, tiny bit of boost stars to creep in and then as you finally pass 4000rpm a further 2 or 3 seconds later aided by the turbo just starting to spool up, at this point it finally starts to make 140bhp, so is making enough exhaust gas to spool that turbo at last, the boost builds, as it does so the engine makes more power, the turbo spool harder, it all goes crazy

Same scenario with a 50bhp shot of gas on a boost switch:
Instantly the engine flows 140bhp worth of exhaust gas, the turbo starts to spool, as it does so thoug the engine is already acclerating up the rev range far harder than before as the nitrous is helping it, so you have 3 advantages, the extra gas from the nitrous spooling the turbo, the increasing rpm spooling the turbo as the engine flows more, and the boost thats appeared almost instantly also going through the engien and spooling the turbo, you reach 3500 within a couple of seconds, by which time the boost is at its peak and the nitrous cuts out, you've had 2 seconds of fairly hard acceleration anyway and now you are really flying.

Numbers all plucked from my head and not exact for any particular engine, but should get the point across.

Chip what an excellent post which really goes into depth and gives people a feel of things without actually running a nitrous system .. This should give people more of an understanding of nitrous and the benefits especially the big turbo 1600cvh nitrous would improve the engine characteristics everywhere they are weak, plus nitrous is not the engine killer it’s made out to be.
I have personally ran nitrous for a good few years now firstly with a American nitrous oxide system kit and now with a wizard of nos kit I blew one engine using nitrous but that was through my lack of knowledge.
I was running a 70shot with the American kit which gave quite a harsh hit causing clutch slip and wheel spin, the won kit which only using a 50 shot hit the softest but produced lots more power, hopefully with my new engine spec plus stronger shafts, taller gearing, and drag tires more nitrous but less boost and to actually use my nitrous controller which I never used before even though I have had the controller as long as I have used nitrous , I should put down some decent times… I‘ve never ran nitrous when I have been totally happy with the car and I don’t intent to touch the strip until the car runs right.
Old 14-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad it tallies up with your experience mate

Your car sounds promising, cant wait to see it go properly on the gas, the progressive is certainly worth using.
Old 14-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote="EsCosRacer"]
Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by T S M
nos seriously reduces the boost thresh hold.
cue mike for a ten page argument
You'll have no arguement from me there - as I have no experience of NOS - but I think I would become an addict, so like skiing - I have always stayed away from it .
Glad to hear that Mr R -

Skiing

The act of delivering dual simultaneous hand-jobs simulating the motions of a cross-country skier. This action is usually performed while ‘Sitting Bitch’ in a pickup truck (front seat center position) but any vehicle with a bench seat will suffice.