General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Snap On or MAC Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 21-07-2007, 10:19 PM
dan druff
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a mechanic i find it depends on how much use your getting from a tool
tools that are constantly in use tend to be snap on where as tools that are used maybe 5 times every so many months will maybe a different make
i use snap on, facom ,britool,mac,bergen,kokon and i even still have halford impact sockets from 15 yrs ago that are used still.
Old 21-07-2007, 11:12 PM
pig
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i use snap-on,mac and facom tools at work as a commercial fitter,much the same imo.most of the time the warrenty depends weather your dealer is a prick or not.although snap-on have just changed there warrenty claims shit.you now have to send the brokern tool away to snap-on via the daeler then they say you abused it and the warrentys void.wankers
Old 21-07-2007, 11:31 PM
edd
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabetha
Lifetime warranty is not worth a wank.
mine was. maybe your dealer thought you were a soft touch and charged you for fun

Old 22-07-2007, 05:45 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I can buy a TORQUE WRENCH, just as an example at 1/3 to 1/2 the price with the same WARRANTY, does not matter what the "rep" is, I am the one who's laughing at all the snap on dudes, who think that no one else can come close to snap on quality.
In fact I could buy 2/3(for snap on price) as a few spares, so if one did break, I would have one there and then.
I replace my stuff as it breaks, had a 1/2"/3/8" adaptor break at weekend which was SNAP ON, I was putting shit loads of grief through it poor thing, but I did not even THINK about going to snap on, even if they would have given me a free replacement, I just got on with the job with SILVERLINE one which did not even wince at the job, but if it did break the shop is around the corner not some van that comes every two weeks.
It does not matter how good it is, OR OVERPRICED, when it only carries a these days standard lfetime warranty, as most decent stuff does.
Ask yourself where would you rather the MONEY was in YOUR POCKET or SNAP ON's ?, most so they can say "I got snap on", it just does not impress anymore.
What comes after SNAP ON ?, SNAP OFF then wait for the van to arrive!!
I have halfords pro stuff as well, lifetime warranty cheaper than snap on.
tabetha
Old 22-07-2007, 07:07 AM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I dont care what anyone says... I use sealey pro stuff, and i've never had any problems with it, don't give a stuff about a lifetime warranty, as it's cheap enuff to just go and get a new item...

I understand what people are saying who are in 'trade' but for such like as Chris and I, and your average ''bitta'' Mechanic, Snap On, Mac, Whatever... it's all for show!!!
Old 22-07-2007, 08:18 AM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

snap on stuf is far better made than halfrauds stuff end off
lets see a halfrauds starter pack start a 12 ton tractor unit
or there battery inpact wrench remove van wheel nuts
the lastest battery drill and socket guns are in another leauge
Old 22-07-2007, 09:09 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is the lads that need the most help off me with rounded off nuts and bolts on their jobs at work are the lads with the cheap tools

Brom: How is your SnapOn dealer these days?? He was a sound chap Since ive left Notts area ive ended up with a right wanker
Old 22-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

I've got about Ł5500 worth of Snap On stuff that i've built up over the last few years.

I've now got 'just about' everything i want to do my job...

Never once have i had a problem with any of my tools when i've used them for their intended purpose

My Snap On bloke is sound as well - he'll always look back on his computer to see if there have been any promotions/offers in the last few months on stuff i want and if there is - he'll do that price on it.

Also gave me a ridiculous over value part ex on my old toolbox and charged me pennies to upgrade to my new one

I don't care if some people see it as a dick waving thing - but i'm more than happy with my Snap On stuff and know it'll still be worth good money in years to come
Old 22-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Big Will_

Originally Posted by CozzyBrom
socket guns are in another leauge
Mine is fooking awesome - undoing hub nuts with a battery gun tends to get funny looks off people

"Why aren't you using an air gun mate?"

"Because this gun has 550NM of torque."
Old 22-07-2007, 09:22 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Big Will 85
i'm more than happy with my Snap On stuff and know it'll still be worth good money in years to come
Thats what alot of the none snap-on/mac replying people on here dont seem to realise...that these tools hold their value extremly well..nice retirement fund when the day comes
Old 22-07-2007, 09:22 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossie604
Originally Posted by Brookesy

It stands around 6'4" to give a size idea. Need some side cabs but not availble yet
Whats that set you back.
My kit at work was recently valued for the workshops new insurance policy, given a value of 17k. Also got 20k worths of diagnostic machine sat at my parents....along with some general workshop equipment ie transmission jacks, engine cradle, general use jacks, axle stands....trying to build up kit for when I venture out on my own with a little unit some where
how does everyone rate the jesse james stuff? mechanic at work just bought a new tool box /chest / cupboard! rumours are it cost in region of 3.5k by itself!!

shit me tools are expensive!!
Old 22-07-2007, 09:29 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chop bikes aint my thing so to have a Jesse James Chop bike tool box would not happening Only trouble ive got with my box is that the Shelby signiture is fading...wish I had it laquered when it was new now think my box's list price was around 3.5-4k...cant remember tbh.....and suppose i shouldnt be putting up prices on here where the missus can see, eh?
Old 22-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the most common used sayings in the world

,,,,,,,,,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have spent many many years and thousands of pounds building up a massive collection of snap on tools and dont regret it one bit .

One thing you all forget ,, How many people have left the motor trade etc and sold on there snap on tool collection and got back thousands of pounds for there tools ??? I know of many

How much will you Stack on tool box and halfords tools sell for ( be honest ) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,next to nothing .

I personaly would never sell my tools even if i left the motor trade because i have built my collection up over 21 years and im proud of it

The only thing i wouls sell is one of my 3 boxes , ( anyone who has seen my boxes will know why ) If i gave up my workshop i couldnt fit all 3 in my garage
Old 22-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Big Will_

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES - Paul,

Please don't take this as an insult, i am genuinely curious on this:

Did you not reach a point where you thought "I've got a tool for pretty much any job that i take on?"

It's just that now, for me, i'm only really buying stuff that comes up on the specials or i can see making a big difference compared to something i already have...

I just can't imagine me ever needing 3 huge boxes full
Old 22-07-2007, 09:38 AM
edd

snap on are the best tools imo

mac are fucking shite along with most of the others
Old 22-07-2007, 09:52 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

^^^ what about say snap-on pliers v's Mac pliers then?
Old 22-07-2007, 09:57 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

there spanners and ratchets are very nice
there pliers are SHIT, knipex are a million times better
there air tools are shite, ingersoll rand is in a world above them
and people who big there boxes us,,, ITS A FUCKING BOX TO KEEP YOUR TOOLS IN
Old 22-07-2007, 10:01 AM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

some mac and blue point stuff is the same thing exactly the same
my snap on man is sound as is the one i had in brum
i got a super low lift trolly jack brand new up for grabs if any you cozzy boys intrested
Old 22-07-2007, 10:17 AM
the original
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

pmsl at people talking about silverline being as good as a quality make
they are sunday market shite
Old 22-07-2007, 11:13 AM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

Ive always used snap on, deffo well over priced but last a fair while
Old 22-07-2007, 01:05 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I piss myself laughing at people that think snap on are an investment, SHARES are much better!!
By the way I have around Ł2k of snap on as well as other tools, and I prefer the non rip off factor of others now I have my blinkers off, and I don't buy tools as and investment.
Scrote, so if they sold snap on at the market they would be shite also ?
Does it matter where they come from it does not mean a thing.
tabetha
Old 22-07-2007, 01:08 PM
the original
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

silverline tools make a passable paint stirrer
how the hell can they be any good when they're Ł4.99 for a full set of spanners? i doubt the chinks use the best metals available

and they do sell snap-on tools on the sunday market, only difference is they say 'snap-off' on them but they're actually far better than snap-on
Old 22-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
it just makes me giggle how people who work in an office say there a rip off

If you used them every day and give them as much use as i do then you would understand the price of quailty
I don't work in an office and I use my tools every day to do my job - and I have a mixture of Snap On, and Halfords Pro tools....

Some stuff I would ONLY buy from Snap On - tool box for example. Mine lives on my van, and Halfords toolboxes do not stand up to the punishment of 24/7 van life - my Snap On one does, so I wouldn't buy anything else.

Ratchet screwdriver - Snap On only! Tried the Halfords one, didn't like it's feel or how it "did it's job" - Snap On one is better. Same goes for screwdriver bits - always snap on, cos if one rounds out or anything, get a new one for free no questions asked. (just wish I didn't keep losing them )

I have a 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet and small selection of 1/2" Snap On sockets. But at the same time I have a 1/4" drive Halfords Pro ratchet and sockets, and a 3/8" drive Halfords Pro ratchet and sockets. So far none of them have ever given me any grief at all, none needed repair and never let me down.

I did have a snap on 3/8's ratchet, broke once, course it was repaired, but caused me a problem as it broke on Monday, Snap On man comes on Thursday, so for three and a bit days I had no 3/8"s ratchet. Got it back the following week all fine, then lost it a few months later Hence the Halfords one I have now, and as said, last 3yrs been spot on no probs...

Spanners - normal steel ring/open end combo spanners - actually mix of Snap On, Facom and Halfords. No probs with any....

Spanners - ratchet - HALFORDS ONLY here. Why? Price and warrenty. In terms of use, no difference between Snap On and Halfords - I know, IU have used both makes! I have two sets of Halfords ones - fixed head and flex-head, and I use both daily. Warrenty, both makes are lifetime warrenty, and funnily enough ,both sets don't cover the ratchet part in the warrenty So when you factor those into it, I choose to pay Halfords Ł60 for a set over Snap On's Ł140 (+vat) for a set. Now if Snap On included the ratcheting part in their warrenty, then I might be tempted to buy thiers, as I know I would never need to buy another one, but they don't, so.....

Hook tool - only smap on makes it, so has to come from them.

Pigs foot - Snap On ones apprear stronger, so again, I buy from them

Non-flex scraper. Had a Snap On one, lost it, needed one ASAP, bought a draper one, ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER so still have the draper one. Oh sorry, there is a difference - Snap On Ł12.50 (+vat) and Draper, Ł2.55 inc

Other than that, a lot of my tools are mixed - some is snap on as only they do what I want, some is not as snap on don't always do what I want..... Some isn't snap on when it could be, purely cos I need it there and then and don't have time to wait till "snap on day" or order wait for postage from website, so I get what I need there and then in a tool shop.....

People who say snap on only for EVERYTHING they have I think are a bit blinkered - we have a guy like that at work - bought an extenable magnet thing the other day - Snap On, Ł15. Mine, Ł1 shop, cost a quid - no difference!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Big Will 85
NORTH YORKS RS SPARES - Paul,

Please don't take this as an insult, i am genuinely curious on this:

Did you not reach a point where you thought "I've got a tool for pretty much any job that i take on?"

It's just that now, for me, i'm only really buying stuff that comes up on the specials or i can see making a big difference compared to something i already have...

I just can't imagine me ever needing 3 huge boxes full
Will

snap on are the world leaders in tools and spend multi millions on development of new tools ,,for special aplications , and or just an improvment on an existing tool , and because of that there is always somthing to buy ,,and because i have a fetish for sanp on tools
Old 22-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I piss myself laughing at people that think snap on are an investment, SHARES are much better!!
By the way I have around Ł2k of snap on as well as other tools, and I prefer the non rip off factor of others now I have my blinkers off, and I don't buy tools as and investment.
Scrote, so if they sold snap on at the market they would be shite also ?
Does it matter where they come from it does not mean a thing.
tabetha
Where has anyone said there an investment ?????

You keep buying your cheap shite

,,,,,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ,,,,,,,,,,,

Would you have a go at somone for buying a quality Italian leather suite for the home ,,as a cheap chatty DFS is just the same to sit on ,,just one will last years the other months ,, but that must make them blinkered that they prefer to buy quality
Old 22-07-2007, 01:57 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

both a bloody rip off imo!!cornwall aint half bad tho i also find tho that no matter wot brand they r u hardly break them just loose them ffs
Old 22-07-2007, 01:58 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I Still say the point is being somewhat missed... Chris IS NOT a full time mechanic, who's lively hood depends on his tools. So the cost of Snap On IS NOT justified for the use HE itends using them on.
Old 22-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by GTechR
I Still say the point is being somewhat missed... Chris IS NOT a full time mechanic, who's lively hood depends on his tools. So the cost of Snap On IS NOT justified for the use HE itends using them on.
Why then is he asking ,,if he isnt going to use them every day why buy snap on or Mac ,,,,,,buy the cheap halfords tools
Old 22-07-2007, 02:57 PM
edd

^^^ what about say snap-on pliers v's Mac pliers then?
i'll give you that one snap on pliers are shit. i use knipex which incidently mac stamp with their logo
Old 22-07-2007, 02:59 PM
edd

Originally Posted by the original
pmsl at people talking about silverline being as good as a quality make
they are sunday market shite
Old 22-07-2007, 03:52 PM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

I left the trade 3 years ago and sold up all my kit , mainly Snap on Mac Teng Britool , i still regreat it and really shouldnt have but needed the spare cash at the time

and when they are taking a hamering everyday you nitise the differance

but i would say if i was just buying stuff to used at weekends and evenings i would have no qualms about buying Halfrauds Pro , Lifetime gaurantee and reasonably priced whats there to lose ??
Old 22-07-2007, 08:59 PM
edd

Originally Posted by StuarTurbo
whats there to lose ??
your fingers?
Old 23-07-2007, 12:37 AM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

Well i was taught fairly early on in my apprentiship

"never put your fngers where you wouldnt put your dick"

"aswell as never put anyhtin in a dry hole"

And to be fair you haev to be doing somethin fairly drastic to break a spanner or snap a socket

tho i will never buy 12 sided sockets , always assist in rounding the edges of stubbern nuts where as 6 sided ones are much better
Old 23-07-2007, 01:19 AM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

use a snap on spanner for a few years and a halfords spanner for a few years. see which one you round bolt heads and nuts off with easier. snap on stuff is expensive for a reason, it has been designed to be hammered day in day out and make the job easier.

anybody who says snap on is a rip off hasn't got the 1st clue about tools, simple as.

its like saying, i need a drill to use day in day out, fuck that 200 quid de-walt off. aldi special Ł8. you buy cheap you will struggle as it wont be upto the job and you will also buy countless of the same tool as they break etc.. when you could of just payed a bit more off snap on in the 1st place and been happy with it.

and whoever said you cant change broken snap on tools if you dont have an account running etc.... you jsut have an utter shite snap on dealer mate simple as. in 4 years i have never ever had a problem with snap on stuff and 6 grand later i am still buying more and more, can't beat it.
Old 23-07-2007, 01:37 AM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

i dont dispute Snap on Mac , ECT ECT are the best , and by no means are they expensive you do get what you pay for and when your buying the best you expect a premium

its just the justification of paying out such an amount when they might be used a couple of hours a weekend not all day every day
Old 27-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm only a weekend mechanic (and nowadays it's more like a holiday mechanic) so I simply can't justify the cost of Snap-On or Mac, but a lesson I have learned is that the RIGHT tool makes all the difference.

Our local garage is pretty good about letting me use their tools or facilities and the number of times I used to bugger about with my tools for hours, then nip across there and do the job in minutes with their professional gear proved the point to me.

They have lots of both Snap-On and Mac gear, but steered me towards Bergen, which I hadn't heard of before. Since then I've bought sockets and airtools from them and they simply outclass my Halfords stuff, so good at getting rusted nuts and bolts apart!

It has to be said, though, that my Halfords sockets date from 1992 (redundancy purchase!) so their newer stuff may be better - but they haven't broken in all that time, even when I was doing lots more work with them. And I love their ratchet spanners with three sets in the garage now.
Old 28-07-2007, 12:42 AM
chummer
Part of the Furniture

each to there own i say !! i have snap on , britool , knippex and halfords pro!! as every1 keeps saying , none have let me down yet except the halfords 1/2" ratchet , which by the way i had a scaffy pole and two of us on the other end bouncing on it! but 5 mins later and a trip to halfords , it was changed no questions asked! how quick can u do that with snap on and britool? on a sunday by the way? but every tool has its own qualitys!!
Old 28-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had a halfords pro quarter drive set since 2001 and i've never had the slightest bit of trouble from any of it, plus it has a lifetime guarantee.
And i am a mechanic working in a busy main dealer so it gets used daily, its just as good as snap on imo but at a fraction of the cost!
Old 28-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the snapon ratchets have less play though i noticed but we could argue this all day
fact of the matter is sometimes its like buying angus beef steak to use as mince for your stu and dumplings

ive got both, the ones i need are what i need,,,, snapon screw driver set is the best thing ive ever bought though the 185 or so price tag did sting

on the subject of tools, where can i get a 3/8 6 sided socket set from thats decent as mine was under the bonnet of the cossie
Old 19-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Ellis1990
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Like iv said in other posts, snap on are great but if you have a box with half snap on half everything else and it gets broken into, everything with snap on stamped on it will disappear. Trust me its happened.

Quick Reply: Snap On or MAC Tools?