General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Slicks Compared To Road Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 17-07-2007, 07:44 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slicks Compared To Road Tyres

Could be an interesting thread........

I was wondering what's the main components between bald road tyres and slicks.

I understand that if road tyres are worn and become bald the grip level deterioates vastly.

Yet, why is it that slicks are bald to look at and provide vastly superior grip?

Is it because to get that 'sticky-ness' and grip out of them you have to warm them up a fair amount? What would happen if you put some tyre warmers on a pair of bald, worn road tyres?

I am fairly new to tyres and the principles behind them and could do with some in-lightment.

Old 17-07-2007, 07:47 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Its down to how the tyre is made, its construction.

When worn out a road tyre is has about 2-3mm between the road and inside of the tyre

Remember any tyre with thread has it for one reason - to shift water out the way!!

Alex
Old 17-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driving on slicks is a totally different experience to any road tyre ever the best do not touch the performance of a slick,as to putting tyre warmers on a bald road tyre it would make it even worse as it would over heat
if you look at the history of track days why people crash insated of making there car handle and stop and fit proper tyres they over heat road tyres and hit the pit wall or end up in the kitty litter
Take your average fast road car add a set of slicks and then go around the track,you will see and also feel the difference
Old 17-07-2007, 07:52 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

different compounds help aswell...

slicks work on the basis that as much of the tyre is on the road as it can be... where as road tyres have to work in all conditions, as well as a much longer time... thats why they have tread patterns and are usually a harder compound, to remove water (las was said above) and how would you feel if once a week you had to change your tyres?

thats what i learnt in my a-levels anyhoo...
Old 17-07-2007, 08:14 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Thanks for the replys guys.

Looked into in some more and have come to the following points:

1: Slicks are made of a much softer rubber then road tyres so once warmed up provide a much more sticky contact area to the road then a hard, cold road tyre.

2: As they don't have all the groves on the tread like Alex said, they have a larger contact area as well as the above contributiing factor.

3: Also as Nilrem said, they are made of a much more higher end rubber and don't have to last ten thousand miles under all condtions like a normal road car tyre. Similar idea applies to using them in the wet as well I gather.

Another quick question though, why would normal road tyres overheat if tyre warmers were used? Is it because they aren't upto the the temperature loadings? I only used the warmers on balk tyres as a case point, I wouldn't do it in reality.
Old 17-07-2007, 08:32 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

And remember there are good slicks and bad slicks too just the same as there are good and bad road tyres.

For your last question - the rubber has an operating temperature range.

Stay inside this and your fine, veer out of it on either side and it can be like driving on ice
Old 17-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get a Mini, Try Yoko A008's (road tyre) and Yoko A032R's You will see a difference! and the A032R is only a semi slick, I cant imagine what a full slick in a Mini is like... apart from awesome

Trending Topics

Old 17-07-2007, 09:22 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
And remember there are good slicks and bad slicks too just the same as there are good and bad road tyres.

For your last question - the rubber has an operating temperature range.

Stay inside this and your fine, veer out of it on either side and it can be like driving on ice
Well quite.

First time on slicks back in 2000, and on the first lap, a little too much entry speed on the corner, and it understeered off the circuit like I was driving down an icy hill!

Warmed up to operating temperature, and the grip levels are astounding compared to road tyres.
Old 17-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Basky
Advanced PassionFord User

sidewalls on slicks are also harder thus giving less roll
Old 17-07-2007, 09:44 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Not all Basky,

Some slicks on racing cars have virtually NO sidewall construction at all and would be dangerous on a heavy road car. Strength in them is determined by the tyre pressure. Racing cars don't roll or lean on them as much in the corners as a saloon car would. Put a set of these on and your in Pons kitty litter too
Old 17-07-2007, 10:46 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

By the way, I have 5 for sale in 17" if anyone's after some.

NOT a for sale post