General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Transfering mobile number to a new phone

Search this Thread

Old 13-07-2007, 02:32 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transfering mobile number to a new phone

Right ive got some conflicting information, one person said id lose all my contacts so i need to transfer them over BEFORE the number gets transfered to my new phone, but then i spoke to someone else and they said it may carry my contacts over?
which is it? did you lose all your contacts or did they show up on the phone the number was transfered to?
Old 13-07-2007, 02:38 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you not just copy all contacts onto the SIM card, put sim in new phone then copy all to phone?
Old 13-07-2007, 02:56 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

old phone samsung D600 t-mobile pay as you go, new phone nokia 6288 on "3" so no i cant do any copying can i?

I havent installed the nokia software but ive heard its meant to be good, maybe i can use that to copy everything over?
Old 13-07-2007, 02:59 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

depends where the numbers are stored.
most likely they are stored in the phone memory, not the sim.

therefore you need to copy them to the sim and transfer them over (but you will prob have to do it in stages cos sim can only hold a limited number) or download em to ur pc and then transfer them, or get a spare sim, whack it in the new phone and bluetooth the phonebook across
Old 13-07-2007, 03:00 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by dvid
Can you not just copy all contacts onto the SIM card, put sim in new phone then copy all to phone?
Hmm you may have red my thread title wrong, i mean ive got a brand new phone on a different network and im transfering that mobile number onto my new phone so it saves me the hassle of telling 100 people ive got a new number
Old 13-07-2007, 03:02 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by ballin
depends where the numbers are stored.
most likely they are stored in the phone memory, not the sim.

therefore you need to copy them to the sim and transfer them over (but you will prob have to do it in stages cos sim can only hold a limited number) or download em to ur pc and then transfer them, or get a spare sim, whack it in the new phone and bluetooth the phonebook across
There stored on the sim.

so how exactly do i go about getting those numbers onto my new phones sim? baring in mind i dont have any software with my t-mobile phone unlike this new nokia
Old 13-07-2007, 03:10 PM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Simply put the NEW sim in the OLD phone and copy all of the numbers from the phone onto the sim.

Take the NEW sim out of the old phone and put it into the NEW PHONE and then copy numbers from the sim to the phone.

JOB DONE.

Whilst the old phone will say that it does not recognise the new sim you can still copy the numbers over.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:18 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

PC suite, suck numbers from d600 onto comp. then copy and paste into nokia PC suite. although im not 100% sure they are compatible.

this is the manual way of doing it (i hope your listening very carefully LOL!)

d600, copy numbers from phone to sim. get an UNLOCKED 3g phone from somewhere and insert tmobile sim, and copy numbers from sim to phone. do this until all numbers are stored on the PHONE MEMORY on the unlocked 3g phone. get your new 3g sim card, put it into the unlocked 3g phone and copy numbers from phone to sim. then put your new 3g sim back into the new nokia youve got and copy numbers from sim to phone.

when your new 3g sim card changes from it's initial number to your tmobile phone number im pretty sure it wont affect phone numbers on the sim. BUT, as a safety net, as ive stated above, get your numbers on the PHONE MEMORY of your new nokia just incase.

simple (lol)

the manual way way above is gospel, as i have personally done it around 100 times in the past year. the only problem you'll have is getting use of an unlocked 3g phone.

you could make it all 30 times easier by getting your 6288 unlocked, but its a complex procedure and costs around Ł40 to do. plus it voids your warranty, so no worth doing. you might be awsell nipping to a local independant phone shop (like myself, but in your home town) and paying them a tenner to do it for you.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:18 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Like i said the numbers are on sim, not on the phone.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:20 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by foreverwhite
PC suite, suck numbers from d600 onto comp. then copy and paste into nokia PC suite. although im not 100% sure they are compatible.

this is the manual way of doing it (i hope your listening very carefully LOL!)

d600, copy numbers from phone to sim. get an UNLOCKED 3g phone from somewhere and insert tmobile sim, and copy numbers from sim to phone. do this until all numbers are stored on the PHONE MEMORY on the unlocked 3g phone. get your new 3g sim card, put it into the unlocked 3g phone and copy numbers from phone to sim. then put your new 3g sim back into the new nokia youve got and copy numbers from sim to phone.

when your new 3g sim card changes from it's initial number to your tmobile phone number im pretty sure it wont affect phone numbers on the sim. BUT, as a safety net, as ive stated above, get your numbers on the PHONE MEMORY of your new nokia just incase.

simple (lol)
I cant, so im fcked then
Old 13-07-2007, 03:23 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

get to a local independant.

first thing i'd do is get a sim card reader, they cost about Ł5 and will give you an invaluable back up of your numbers incase it all goes horribly wrong LOL

i manually wrote down all my phone numbers (around 300 active, regularily used numbers for suppliers etc) and have them stored at home. a week later i got my phone robbed. i was well chuffed i'd done it. maybethis is the time to spend 30 minutes doing it.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:28 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

i havent got that many so its probably easier/quicker for me to just type them in notepad on the pc, then get the new phone and manually enter each one, as i say i havent got that many otherwise this wouldnt even be an option
Old 13-07-2007, 03:44 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

sim card reader should sort it out aswell, although im not 110% sure whther they take 3g sims lol

these are the types of questions/problems i have to deal with day in day out, its turning me grey!

forever grey
Old 13-07-2007, 03:49 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Having another issue, might have to go back to carphone warehouse tomorrow............ it takes minisd memory cards, now they go in but only so far, not enough to close the little flap behind it, plus its not even registering on the phone on my old D600 id see a little icon when the card was pushed in.
Old 13-07-2007, 04:08 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

d600 are Micro SD not mini.

this will not fit into your new phone unless you get the 2 in 1 adaptors (you can get micro sd memory cards with an adaptor that makes it into a mini sd)

remember, never force a memory card in, if it's not going in right flip it round as they slot straight in when put in the right way.

what is your new phone? 6233 or 6288?
Old 13-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have just had to do this from Sony Ericsson to Nokia.

I sync'd the Ericsson using bluetooth and the SE software to Outlook contacts (Not Outlook Express)

Connected the new phone using Bluetooth using Nokia software and sync'd to the new phone.

Would look on Samsung site to download the software required for your phone to do this, must be something like that about.
Old 13-07-2007, 05:16 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by foreverwhite
d600 are Micro SD not mini.

this will not fit into your new phone unless you get the 2 in 1 adaptors (you can get micro sd memory cards with an adaptor that makes it into a mini sd)

remember, never force a memory card in, if it's not going in right flip it round as they slot straight in when put in the right way.

what is your new phone? 6233 or 6288?
Im not that stupid i bought 1gb minisd for my new 6288, and it turns out i didnt push it in correctly but done it now

Adrian cheers mate ill have a look into it, anything to save me typing them all out