General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

is £55 alot for a power run???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is £55 alot for a power run???

rung EA in witham and they want £55 for a power run, is this the going rate??

how long will last ?? and can it cause any damage ?

thanks

carl
Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

EA?

Oh no... who's got the hobknobs?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

most places charge £30-£40 for a run , and is it dangerous only if there a monkey running the rollers or the car is mechanical not sound
Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
dalsy70
Regular Contributor

the west of Scotland RSOC group recently ran a successful day at AVA in Glasgow and it was

2WD £25

4WD £30

for a power run, so Id say its pretty expensiveat what theyre asking

AVA charge between £65 -£75 for a full hours rolling road set up, thats runs , adjustments etc.... although doesnt include parts, thats extra
Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM
st_owner100
Regular Contributor

Although EA is a little dearer compared to others, it's the closest place to me so I took my car there the other week. Had no problem with them at all. You should be there for about half an hour (they usually do 2 or 3 runs) and no it won't cause any damage.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

best ask your dad first

just in case
Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jaycos
most places charge £30-£40 for a run , and is it dangerous only if there a monkey running the rollers or the car is mechanical not sound
the 335d, as far as i know is mechanically sound (fookin hope so, only 4 month old) so what could a 'monkey; do to destroy her?

worried now....

its only to get a figure so once she re-mapped i can see how much the power and torque has improved

where else could i go, essex north london or cambridgeshire area?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

if a monkey is not paying attention to the detail of the job like checking the fueling ect , ie a couple of people run up cars without a wideband probe up the exhaust then turn round say oh forgot that especailly when you have just signed a disclaim that reads if it goes tits up it aint there prob
Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

club days are all ways cheaper so £55 is not to bad were are you getting it mapped
Old 12-07-2007, 10:51 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah but why would it need that if its just a power run? she aint being set up?

its new so in theory wont be any fueling issues??
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gordon1
club days are all ways cheaper so £55 is not to bad were are you getting it mapped
not sure yet bud either DMS or CA AUTOMOTIVE???
Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Gordon1

as its a new ish car you can plug in the obd and some dynos will read all info from there any way
Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as its a new ish car you can plug in the obd and some dynos will read all info from there any way
read what power its making?>
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Gordon1

no just all the info to monitor when on the power run
Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
No, some systems will be able to gain info such as RPM, Injector Duty and so on from OBD.

We charge £55 for a detailed power-run, which includes several graphs (Power @ Flywheel, Torque, Power @ Wheels, Bosot, Fuelling etc) and is based on the best of approximately 3 runs.

A basic one graph run is £45, but we would still usually carry out 3 runs, or thereabouts, to achieve an average.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:07 AM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
No, some systems will be able to gain info such as RPM, Injector Duty and so on from OBD.

We charge £55 for a detailed power-run, which includes several graphs (Power @ Flywheel, Torque, Power @ Wheels, Bosot, Fuelling etc) and is based on the best of approximately 3 runs.

A basic one graph run is £45, but we would still usually carry out 3 runs, or thereabouts, to achieve an average.

hi christian, where are you? and could you give an accurat flywheel readign aswell as wheel reading?

thanks

carl
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

£55.00 for an inaccurate power run? Bargain!! Not!!

Mind you compared to the £15,000 that mine cost me at EA it sounds a fuckin bargain!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Christian is based up Norwich way iirc and use the uber accurate Dyno Dynamics rolling road. Be warned you may not get a figure you like from it but it will be a good accurate recording.

You will have to sign a disclaimer (common practice) removing blame from the rr operator/company if anything goes wrong or car collapses in a large oily mess.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:50 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS

Mind you compared to the £15,000 that mine cost me at EA it sounds a fuckin bargain!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post that pic of your wastegate mounting up again , that will show you what happens when you let "monkeys" loose on your car ( and for someone who is supposedly mountune qualifed etc it is fucking shocking )

RR is the safest place to run your car, why does everyone panic about it so much? , only doing the same you do every time you drive it, just you have loads of moniters and meters connected up to make sure nothing does go wrong.....
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Ian M500COS

"Be warned you may not get a figure you like from it but it will be a good accurate recording"

From EA everyone gets a good figure. Especially his fuckin' bank manager!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gingeRS
best ask your dad first

just in case

Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post that pic of your wastegate mounting up again , that will show you what happens when you let "monkeys" loose on your car ( and for someone who is supposedly mountune qualifed etc it is fucking shocking )

RR is the safest place to run your car, why does everyone panic about it so much? , only doing the same you do every time you drive it, just you have loads of moniters and meters connected up to make sure nothing does go wrong.....
I dont have that pic any more Wil - was too distressed to keep it!! Monkeys would have done a better job!! Or not done that in the 1st place!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Christian is based up Norwich way iirc and use the uber accurate Dyno Dynamics rolling road. Be warned you may not get a figure you like from it but it will be a good accurate recording.

You will have to sign a disclaimer (common practice) removing blame from the rr operator/company if anything goes wrong or car collapses in a large oily mess.
not bothered about a low figure lol

its got enough performance anyway, just a figure to improve on after a re-mmap

but what i need to know is whether they can get an accurate flywheel figure
Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

In a word no - but it doesn't matter, as you can compare the before and after @wheels figures to see what gains you've made.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Gordon1

Originally Posted by Oranoco

not bothered about a low figure lol

its got enough performance anyway, just a figure to improve on after a re-mmap

but what i need to know is whether they can get an accurate flywheel figure

yes they can be if the dyno is used right and if it is calibrated too
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

Came across this interesting site about chassis dyno's the difference between braked and inertial dyno's and the different applications they should be used for should help you figure out where you should go for your before and after figures

Advantages and disadvantages of a modern computerised braked dynamometer system:

They / the operator can vary the load so that the engine can be held at constant speeds while such things as ignition and fuelling can be adjusted to optimum values at different steady state throttle openings and rpm's - extremely useful! Easier to fully set up a new engine management or carb system quickly and accurately. For this reason alone these types of Dynamometers are preferable for setting up and tuning road cars and moderately tuned vehicles where you are not just looking for "ultimate" power.

Unfortunately most braked dynamometers seem to use dual rollers on each wheel. These "trap" the tyre, cause slippage, heat, HP losses that vary, and can cause tyre problems. A single drum per wheel of 16 inch diameter or greater is far superior, as in the picture above.

Can be dangerous to certain very high performance, boosted, nitrous injected, or tuned two stroke type engines as they are already on the edge of detonation and heat damage. This mostly depends on the experience of the operator. Trying to hold a 450bhp turbocharged nitrous injected bike at steady full power is a recipe for an engine meltdown! In the real world its not a problem because they would be going at say 170mph in 8 seconds and then shut off! The correct ignition timing and fuel mixture for these types of vehicles is generally not suitable for continuous steady state non accelerating conditions.

Because of the fact that they CAN be calibrated, and in fact need to be calibrated from time to time, means that they can never be totally accurate. And that an owner or operator can "ahem" re-calibrate it themselves! Never trust a tuner to give you reliable figures! Most are honest but some are not! Its only too easy to make the results "look good" if you see what I mean...

Because of the fact that, the rollers are "wrong" in layout, and size on most of these, and because they use a dc voltage signal from a load cell connected to the "brake" to determine roller torque (torque x rpm or speed gives them the BHP) which in itself has a level of Hysterisis, and because this low level DC output is subject to electrical noise & variable resistance due to temperatures, errors from the analogue to digital conversion process etc, they can NEVER be completely accurate. Or in fact very repeatable. (unless the whole process is done digitally, which I have yet to see.)

Advantages and disadvantages of a modern computerised inertial or inertia dynamometer system:

1st a word of warning... Because the principal of an inertia dyno is so simple there are rather a lot of really badly designed systems out there. Its hard to know which ones are good well designed systems, and which are practically useless. For a few clues click HERE

There is NO calibration ever required or possible on a good properly designed (not all are!) inertial dynamometer system. My own systems for example used a free running solid steel turned drum of 402mm in diameter x 562mm wide. All of the dynos I produced used this exact same drum. The inertial values were calculated mathematically from the density of the steel and the technical drawings, and integrated directly into the software. There are simply no external user parameters that could be changed to alter the "calibration". There simply is no need. So there can be no errors, or calibration requirements. If a healthy car / bike reads 56bhp on one dyno, then it will read this exact same figure on all of the others! Its just maths. Unlike braked systems there is no no DC voltages, nothing can change, no variations due to Hysterisis etc. Companies such as DynoJet do the same thing. In fact I took my own motorcycle to ten different DynoJet dynamometers in the UK over a period of a couple of weeks, and it / they read between 135 and 136 BHP on all of them, as well as on my own dynamometer systems. Nice to know your maths is the same as theres is! You simply cannot do this with any normal braked dynamometer systems, as they vary quite wildly due to the above and one or two other minor things like they all require Calibrating!

They are dynamic testing dynamometers only! This means that when you open the throttle the drum always accelerates. It is not possible to hold a steady "under load" rpm. So making changes to fuel and ignition maps is much more difficult. It is less good at this kind of thing than a braked dynamometer is. If your main job is to set up fuel systems across the range, for e.g., rather than absolute accuracy and repeatability you are better off using a braked dynamometer.

For deadly accurate back to back power runs when testing things like different lubricants, plug gap changes, different ignition coils, tiny jetting or fuelling changes, then they are superb! Its even possible to easily and repeatable see the effect of turning the lights on during a run! Try that on a braked dyno and the small difference is lost in the "noise" of the system. So for ultimate performance tuning, bikes, drag racing, etc they are preferable.

For example...

On this bike below! It was mine, but it does not like braked dynos (or rather having its rpm held at a constant speed) due to the sheer amount of nitrous being used in two stages. It detonates a little after being held at a constant 6,000 rpm for a short period. We were trying to get a fix on the mixture at this point, but this takes a good few seconds to stabilize. In real life it does not see 6000rpm for more than a second on the strip. So the heat build up on plugs / valves etc does not get time to start it detonating! After 6000rpm - no problem. We know this because a knock sensor and a data logger tells me so... Retarding ignition more at this point, or adding a touch more fuel stops this happening. But the bike is then measurably slower! So for some situations a dynamic run climbing through the RPM's is very important. Whilst some braked dynos can also do rpm "climbing" runs, it defeats the object of using one because then you may as well use a nominally more accurate inertial dyno as you can't check the mixture at any given RPM any more!
more here

http://www.dynamometer-info.co.uk/ad...ynamometer.htm

HTH
Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

tiff wheres the hobnobs
Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xr2i-carl

Torque of the Devil perhaps?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan@Rapid-Ford
Came across this interesting site about chassis dyno's the difference between braked and inertial dyno's and the different applications they should be used for should help you figure out where you should go for your before and after figures

Advantages and disadvantages of a modern computerised braked dynamometer system:

They / the operator can vary the load so that the engine can be held at constant speeds while such things as ignition and fuelling can be adjusted to optimum values at different steady state throttle openings and rpm's - extremely useful! Easier to fully set up a new engine management or carb system quickly and accurately. For this reason alone these types of Dynamometers are preferable for setting up and tuning road cars and moderately tuned vehicles where you are not just looking for "ultimate" power.

Unfortunately most braked dynamometers seem to use dual rollers on each wheel. These "trap" the tyre, cause slippage, heat, HP losses that vary, and can cause tyre problems. A single drum per wheel of 16 inch diameter or greater is far superior, as in the picture above.

Can be dangerous to certain very high performance, boosted, nitrous injected, or tuned two stroke type engines as they are already on the edge of detonation and heat damage. This mostly depends on the experience of the operator. Trying to hold a 450bhp turbocharged nitrous injected bike at steady full power is a recipe for an engine meltdown! In the real world its not a problem because they would be going at say 170mph in 8 seconds and then shut off! The correct ignition timing and fuel mixture for these types of vehicles is generally not suitable for continuous steady state non accelerating conditions.

Because of the fact that they CAN be calibrated, and in fact need to be calibrated from time to time, means that they can never be totally accurate. And that an owner or operator can "ahem" re-calibrate it themselves! Never trust a tuner to give you reliable figures! Most are honest but some are not! Its only too easy to make the results "look good" if you see what I mean...

Because of the fact that, the rollers are "wrong" in layout, and size on most of these, and because they use a dc voltage signal from a load cell connected to the "brake" to determine roller torque (torque x rpm or speed gives them the BHP) which in itself has a level of Hysterisis, and because this low level DC output is subject to electrical noise & variable resistance due to temperatures, errors from the analogue to digital conversion process etc, they can NEVER be completely accurate. Or in fact very repeatable. (unless the whole process is done digitally, which I have yet to see.)

Advantages and disadvantages of a modern computerised inertial or inertia dynamometer system:

1st a word of warning... Because the principal of an inertia dyno is so simple there are rather a lot of really badly designed systems out there. Its hard to know which ones are good well designed systems, and which are practically useless. For a few clues click HERE

There is NO calibration ever required or possible on a good properly designed (not all are!) inertial dynamometer system. My own systems for example used a free running solid steel turned drum of 402mm in diameter x 562mm wide. All of the dynos I produced used this exact same drum. The inertial values were calculated mathematically from the density of the steel and the technical drawings, and integrated directly into the software. There are simply no external user parameters that could be changed to alter the "calibration". There simply is no need. So there can be no errors, or calibration requirements. If a healthy car / bike reads 56bhp on one dyno, then it will read this exact same figure on all of the others! Its just maths. Unlike braked systems there is no no DC voltages, nothing can change, no variations due to Hysterisis etc. Companies such as DynoJet do the same thing. In fact I took my own motorcycle to ten different DynoJet dynamometers in the UK over a period of a couple of weeks, and it / they read between 135 and 136 BHP on all of them, as well as on my own dynamometer systems. Nice to know your maths is the same as theres is! You simply cannot do this with any normal braked dynamometer systems, as they vary quite wildly due to the above and one or two other minor things like they all require Calibrating!

They are dynamic testing dynamometers only! This means that when you open the throttle the drum always accelerates. It is not possible to hold a steady "under load" rpm. So making changes to fuel and ignition maps is much more difficult. It is less good at this kind of thing than a braked dynamometer is. If your main job is to set up fuel systems across the range, for e.g., rather than absolute accuracy and repeatability you are better off using a braked dynamometer.

For deadly accurate back to back power runs when testing things like different lubricants, plug gap changes, different ignition coils, tiny jetting or fuelling changes, then they are superb! Its even possible to easily and repeatable see the effect of turning the lights on during a run! Try that on a braked dyno and the small difference is lost in the "noise" of the system. So for ultimate performance tuning, bikes, drag racing, etc they are preferable.

For example...

On this bike below! It was mine, but it does not like braked dynos (or rather having its rpm held at a constant speed) due to the sheer amount of nitrous being used in two stages. It detonates a little after being held at a constant 6,000 rpm for a short period. We were trying to get a fix on the mixture at this point, but this takes a good few seconds to stabilize. In real life it does not see 6000rpm for more than a second on the strip. So the heat build up on plugs / valves etc does not get time to start it detonating! After 6000rpm - no problem. We know this because a knock sensor and a data logger tells me so... Retarding ignition more at this point, or adding a touch more fuel stops this happening. But the bike is then measurably slower! So for some situations a dynamic run climbing through the RPM's is very important. Whilst some braked dynos can also do rpm "climbing" runs, it defeats the object of using one because then you may as well use a nominally more accurate inertial dyno as you can't check the mixture at any given RPM any more!
more here

http://www.dynamometer-info.co.uk/ad...ynamometer.htm

HTH

cheers bud
Old 12-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

no probs, nothing like an educated choice
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

where else can i book then which will be cheaper and better?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just had two quotes for ones close-ish ot me actually.

Dennis Vessey @ Brigg charges £30 for a power run. Not sure if this is like Christian said tho: just 1 run or a couple to get an average, or inc VAT.

Corten Miller @ Boston charge £47 inc VAT for the power run plus graphs.
£70.5 per hour for setting up. They have a new fandango rolling road as well.
http://www.corten-miller.co.uk/
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have i missed something here
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by rs shawn
I've just had two quotes for ones close-ish ot me actually.

Dennis Vessey @ Brigg charges £30 for a power run. Not sure if this is like Christian said tho: just 1 run or a couple to get an average, or inc VAT.

Corten Miller @ Boston charge £47 inc VAT for the power run plus graphs.
£70.5 per hour for setting up. They have a new fandango rolling road as well.
http://www.corten-miller.co.uk/
Corten Miller have (AFAIK) the older version of what we have now. Our's was the first Windows-based 4wd Dyno Dynamics unit in the country. Maybe it still is? I don't know of another. The Windows graphs are highly accurate and informative. We can focus on very specific details etc.

We charge £100 for what we call a Rolling-Road Tune, though this is a loose term and doesn't necessarily mean that any adjustments are made, since modern EFi cars aren't often very adjustable within those kinds of constraints. It more refers to approximately 1 hour and multiple runs, with the ability to make adjustment if it is available.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saph4be

have i missed something here
Where would YOU mount an external wastegate?? In the main manifold, or off the tiny pipes ( like you see on an RS 2000 Mk5/6 manifold) for exhaust gas recirculation??? Wonder why it won't control boost.... wonder why the mapping hasn't been done at all, just copied off a 300BHP WRC car ( for a 500+ bhp car )Wonder why it hits 52psi.....wonder why after 1 mins of driving away it stuck a rod through a WRC block.....

I will leave the rest to Ian to explain.. the only thing bigger than the hole in the block was the hole in his bank balance
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

christian where exactly are you?

could you fit me in sat?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

christian where exactly are you?

could you fit me in sat?
Norwich, about 1-1.5 hours north of the M25.

Saturday is unlikely, but I will look!! We are absolutely STACKED!!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Ermmmm

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
xr2i-carl

Torque of the Devil perhaps?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Ermmmm

xr2i-carl

Tourque of the Devil perhaps?
He perhaps didn't understand, due to your spelling error.

I think you mean Torque of the Devil.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

I'm all thingers and thumbs

Quick Reply: is £55 alot for a power run???