General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Living with parents - Your views

Search this Thread

Old 24-09-2004, 03:01 PM
McPikie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living with parents - Your views

We have just been discussing how a bloke who still lives ith his parents is off putting to women.

How the fuck is this possible??

I am 25 next month and still live with mine. I get my washing, ironing and cooking done for me. I come and go as I please and dont see how this can put a woman off I have a fair bit of cash as I dont have a mortgage and all the other bills etc etc. If I moved out I would be broke as a joke. Therefore, i see it more than viable to live at home so I can treat my missus to nights out and stuff to stop us staying in and being skint/bored.

Its not as if I am tied to the apron strings as I am more than capable of doing all of the above myself but........... why should I?? I get it done for me

Lads and ladies views on the subject please
Old 24-09-2004, 03:03 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with u mcpikie. I live with me dad and pay £100 a month for the privalege. Cool. Meens i have more moeny to treat the missus to dinner/nights out etc.
Old 24-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Little Joe
Advanced PassionFord User

I am still at home. Its to cheap not to be.

£20 a week is what i pay and thats for eveything.
Old 24-09-2004, 03:04 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

I live with me rents, i pay nothing and get everything done for me, even bought me a second car for the winter so as not to ruin my rst!!
Old 24-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm still at home with my mum and I'm 28. In all fairness the missus and I have been looking into getting a place but house prices are potty at the moment and we just don't have the required cash to do it. We'll be renting though within the next couple of months as we have been advised by several people that now is the wrong time to buy. Last thing I need is negative equity
Old 24-09-2004, 03:11 PM
zvhturbo
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm still at home.

Pay £50 a fortnight.

Get on great with my parents etc but can't wait to get out and get a place of our own.
Don't like the idea of being skint all the time though.

Talk on the market is a fall in house prices over the next 18 months due to rising interest rates.
I would hate to be lumbererd with a place that was costing more than its worth
Old 24-09-2004, 03:15 PM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

Location: learnin to build a yb lump properly in dennis's garage

lived on my own since i was 17 moved back home for 2 yrs and left again aged 23 i love living on my own, but i love living with tracey more who has been here for a yr now, i also have managed to go out plenty 2 holidays a year had aturbo originally but now have the cosworth its all possible if ya want it enough but your prioritys change big style when you have a mortgage to pay
Old 24-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Chipperx2

Me and ma mate are lookin to get a flat in Glasgow, goin to Uni there see! so it best and am 18, Theres loads of pros and cons to living at home and al proberly move back in with the maw after my education
Old 24-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am 21, live with parents, 160 every 4 weeks keeps mum sweet. lol

might sound expensive, but when the morgage is payed soon, and they nock off, i get the house

and with large earnings for me from my job, i'm rolling in the lolly lol
Old 24-09-2004, 03:26 PM
silverline
Virgin

I'm still at home too. I'm 25, live a mile from work and its the only reason I can afford the FRS

I do want a place of my own but like other people have said, the price of houses is mad.

Its never been a problem with the ladies either
Old 24-09-2004, 03:26 PM
RobS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

IM 36!!!!!
been bak home for nearly 3 years, and loving it

plus most the birds my age got there own houses so shag em bak @ theres
Old 24-09-2004, 03:27 PM
RobS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

plus dont pay fuk all cos it actually my house there living in
Old 24-09-2004, 03:27 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i am 20 pay nothing with parents... no rent... no council tax... and im still skint... ( probably something to do with not having a job). and me bird lives wid me and pays £20 a week. i didnt have ne trouble picking her up so to speak, whilst living wid me rents
Old 24-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Cossie-Spen
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well im 25 and recently split up with the missus ..and am now living at my perents and cant stand it ..nothing feels like mine ive got a tiny bedroom with a bed and thats about it cant wait to move out again .. livin at my perents is not for me im affraid...i can see how its off putting to women though you know the no privicy thing. she might not feel comfortable letting her hair down if you see wat i mean and theres always the mummys boy image
Old 24-09-2004, 03:33 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

22 Monday, live at home, will move out once the mrs is sorted with her job and the RST is done
Old 24-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Aaron1204
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I'm 22, live with the missus.....and I'm

BROKE!!!
but I wouldn't change it for the world
Old 24-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I can see it being a problem for a lot of people, depends how sound your parents are.

Im 24 (tho wish i was younger, lol) and my parents are quality, dont ask for any money, dont care who or how many birds i bring round (Mum thinks its quite funny and think Dad likes a good stare, lol), and the way the house is laid out you dont actually have to have any contact with ma parents if you dont want.

Couldnt afford to live the life i live and have a decent place to myself, and no way would i live in some shitehole, so im sound here.

Tho i can understand why people move out, if had intrusive/wanker parents like some, or even if the house was laid out different, im sure idve went long ago, but as long as birds here isnt an issue in any way, im staying till i can afford somewhere decent.
Old 24-09-2004, 03:48 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

26, Own my own house, was and still is a bit of a struggle at times, but its soo good having your own place. I havent spent more than 4 weeks at my parents since I was 18, I couldn't stand it. I get on with them great no problems but having your own place is good. I dont earn a lot but it's worth a few sacrifices for the first couple of years...
Old 24-09-2004, 03:54 PM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

Its called independence, I made the brave move a year ago and it changes you.

At 24 years old I couldn’t stand living at home anymore, I had loads of money and a nice car when living at home but I rather live with the girlfriend and have my own life!!

In answer to your question, yes it puts women off, don’t you know anything

Old 24-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I lived on and off with my folks til I was 23 and it rocked. Mum cooks the best meals (don't they all) and Dad screwed me over charging me for 50p an ironed item and mum charged a tenner for minting my room (wish she was about to do that now!) All of my mates had keys, I had a massive room and I could smoke as much as I liked. Dad would even wake me up when I fell asleep on the stairs after a night out drinking. I totally DESTROYED their house twice due to house parties getting out of hand and they still didn't throw me out.

But that said I now live with my three best mates and I'm having the time of my life. We've been together 3 and a half years now and it's been all good. Granted they bollock me more than my parents did everytime I lose a key, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 24-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh and no, it wouldn't put me off seeing a bloke. I'd just have him ruond mine all the time
Old 24-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

im 24 on sunday and live with parents and the other half lives hear too pay £70 a month between us prob get me own place next year
Old 24-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Escy

i'm 19 and living with my parents. i need to move out asap, it sucks the big fat one. i don't get on with them that well
Old 24-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Dan B

Am 28, moved back in with parents after 5 years at Uni, stayed there for 2.5 years enjoying nice cheap rent (£100 a month, everything included), but then when I got my new job in December last year, I decided a 65-mile-each-way trip to work was a little on the expensive side.

So, am now renting a house until I can pay two loans and two credit cards off, and then look at getting a mortgage to buy my own place. It's more expensive than living at home, but the freedom is great.
Old 24-09-2004, 04:06 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just moved my misses in, now my parents have fooked off to skeggy and left me to run the house

then again I have bought girl back for the night since I was 16, my parents are but have a mate who is 26 and has to try and do sneekeys or book into a hotel, failing that it's rocking the motor time.
Old 24-09-2004, 04:13 PM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i love living at home - nothing better than coming back after a hard day & there being hot food ready on the table!

i was forced into being independant at 18 cos went to uni - think it makes me appreciate home more & am 100% living with the folks after uni is done. might change my mind once i got the cossie thing out my system tho!
Old 24-09-2004, 04:43 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

26 at home

NEVER EVER RENT A HOUSE!

when it goes wrong you end up back were u started but more in debt!

alex
Old 24-09-2004, 04:49 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Im 25 and have been living away from home since 2002, i love my freedom and although at times i really miss sitting in with ma and pa, i just would never go back

I have my own little family now and there enough to keep me going
Old 24-09-2004, 04:51 PM
paulp
PassionFord Regular

im 23 and still live at home paying £40 a week, i did live in a flat for 2 months when i was 20 cos i didnt get on well with the parents,i got pissed off with living in that flat with mates coming round every night and generally taking the piss.I was going home for my dinners anyway so mum asked me to comeback and ever since then i have got on well with my parents cos i know how hard it is to live on your own,and i have more respect for them now for what they do
Old 24-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i rent a house, im 25 did have a morgage but got fucked over and lost it ( i can laugh now thiugh)

lived with the missus for 4 years at me parents house, must admit looking back its shite, love living with the bord nowbut the downside is i gotta do all the diy and shit

ill never move back with me folks though, only when i moved out i discovered how much they get on me nerves

now i dont have to justify me self, just go ot out come back and foods on the table ( or computer desk art the monent)

livig with the misus rocks
Old 24-09-2004, 04:57 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im 25 with november and wouldnt dream of moving out!

dads a mechanic and mum does the washing and cooking!

Why move out?
Old 24-09-2004, 05:01 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

mmmm, i must say, a boy living at home is off putting,, from a womans viewpoint anyway!
Old 24-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think about it like this, can ya sit on ya pc naked and watch tv in the front room naked

see ya need to move out
Old 24-09-2004, 05:06 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Old 24-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

I left home at 18 to move to the midlands to work in the automotive engineering industry. Rented for a few years and once I had enough money bought a house. This was seven years ago now, and best thing I ever did as my mortgage is now cheaper than renting even the smallest of propeties around me! renting really is dead money, but until you're sure about where you want to be, is probably an easier option!

I agree with all the comments about getting your mothers to look after you, but find a good woman, and she'll do the things your mum did for you, and just a few things your mum didn't do as well. LOL
Old 24-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Keith B

I lived at home until I was 29. Had an OK job. Took a job in CA that paid lots and now rent out here. I had more money living at home, hot food on the table the moment I came in, free laundry, garage, garden etc. However your freedom/independence is restricted, you can't bring your mates back pissed up for Playstation sessions inthe early hours and yes I do think when you tell women you still live at home they see it as a down side. Unless they know you're there for a good reason then in my opinion they dont look upon it very highly that you havent flown the coup.
Old 24-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Darrone

Karl,
find a good woman, and she'll do the things your mum did for you, and just a few things your mum didn't do as well. LOL
PMSL
Old 24-09-2004, 05:33 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bought my house when I was 20!

in terms of money and potential its best thing ive ever done money wise. im now 24.

I can have virtually what money I want.. as I can remortgage to get it!! but that aint overlly sensible!!

bills and mortgages aren't much for me at all.... But buying own food, TVs, new bathrooms etc etc are all..

I moved out when my parents split, my dad wanted £50 a week board to stay and said that my then girlfriend had to be home by 12 and no longer really allowed to stay round..... hence... fook it ill get my own house!!

definately like the space and stuff and it would be pi55 if my girlfriend would move in and contribute (diff girl)

as for putting off girls and stuff.... are you mad thinking that living with your parents sounds cool??? its a bit like saying I drive a skoda.... yeah you can say... oh oh but its an octavia RS its fast its value for money etc etc but at the end of the day... youve still gotta answer the question with "a skoda" when asked what car do you drive?

first few dates it prob wont matter... as long as she dont say my place or yours.... erm yours!! and if parents are sound and she is quite young (i.e. under say 22) then it prob dont make a diff
Old 24-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Living at home is shit

I am 23- the only good thing is its cheap.

I cant bring birds back
I cant bring my car bits in the house
my parents want to throw all my old stuff away like MY BMX's etc

Its just proper shite... my bro's and sister are twats, there is no piece and quite and the rents never have anywords of encouragement at all.

the car breaks and the answer is ALWAYS- fix it and sell...

I hate it

J
Old 24-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i left home at 15 and 3 quarters, i pay my own way, and moving out was forced upon me seen as my mum fucked off to another country and my dad left when i was 4, i have no family other than 2 sisters. I am indepentdent, and have probs accepting help tho cos of being on my own, I have also been homelesss sleeping on streets etc, but that was when i was 17-18, 3yrs on dole in total, at 20 sorted myself out, went to college

Quick Reply: Living with parents - Your views