General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sky scraps its Sky+ subscription charge

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2007, 09:35 PM
FasterFords
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky scraps its Sky+ subscription charge

Just £99 for the box

Time to finally upgrade for me
Old 25-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sweet, never understod the reason for the extra monthly charge for sky plus. Now its scraped will get old dear to upgrade
Old 25-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Can you buy an old Sky + box and use it? Can't be bothered to spend £100
Old 25-06-2007, 09:50 PM
pjv7771
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dont be in too much of a rush, its a great idea but the boxes are proper unreliable, im on my 6th now and its wearing a bit thin with me
Old 25-06-2007, 09:59 PM
RS_JAY
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Really, time for me to upgrade aswell by the looks of it
Old 25-06-2007, 10:32 PM
monkey nutz

Originally Posted by pjv7771
dont be in too much of a rush, its a great idea but the boxes are proper unreliable, im on my 6th now and its wearing a bit thin with me
Ditto, my one's always turning itself off
Old 25-06-2007, 10:33 PM
SteveW

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mines 5 months od and has started to play up, cant record 1 channel and watch another, works fine for a while if i switch it off at the mains for a few moments and power it back up but a few hour later its back the same. Its annoying when i have neighbours on series link

Trending Topics

Old 26-06-2007, 06:18 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my box has been faultless
but my year was up about 3 days ago so i'm prepared for it to pack up any day now
Old 26-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ditto - they are really shit

SteveW - that sounds like a signal problem and not the box - have you checked all the connections for both cables back to the dish?
Old 26-06-2007, 08:15 AM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

O dear more work for me...... I run Sky's stores in the morning for the engineers to collect and return their stock

It's unbelievable how many faulty boxes I return to Sky each day
Old 26-06-2007, 08:16 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

how?

i have a dish with secondhand receiver that i paid a one off fee of £20 to have a freeview card for. can i just get the sky+ box, or another digital recorder to use with the freeview channels only? i don't want to pay any monthly fee for extra channels that i would not watch

i don't have an aerial, otherwise it would be easy to just get a freeview box with HDD
Old 26-06-2007, 08:32 AM
dojj

i've tried this with the telly upstairs and apparently you have to tell sky what you are doing so that they can "turn on" the extra bits

no harm in trying, but i haven't yet

i'll give it a go when i get home and let you know the resluts
Old 26-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Smiggy

I threw mine out the front door while the customer services were on the phone. I told them they could pick it up from my front garden as I was not taking any more days off my work to sit in the house waiting on their engineer to turn up.

Really had had enough of them, nothing but fucking vermin the whole lot of them. They can stick their Sky+ boxes up their arse (sideways).

Currently in a bit of a wrangle with them at the moment to get some money back. TBH the box throwing incident hasn't really worked in my favour.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:21 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Smiggy
I threw mine out the front door while the customer services were on the phone. I told them they could pick it up from my front garden as I was not taking any more days off my work to sit in the house waiting on their engineer to turn up.

Really had had enough of them, nothing but fucking vermin the whole lot of them. They can stick their Sky+ boxes up their arse (sideways).

Currently in a bit of a wrangle with them at the moment to get some money back. TBH the box throwing incident hasn't really worked in my favour.
it worked well when i had cable and they wouldn't reimburse me the month that i didn't get any signal as they electric copany had dug up the road outside my house and chopped through the cable
i called them up and explained the scenario
they said i would have to get my money off of the electric company
"no, for a month, i've had no telly because there is a hole in the road, you refund me the money and then you claim if off of the electric company, my neighbour has the same problem as well and he's getting a refund so why can't i?"
"i'm sorry, we can't do that"
"well then i'm sorry, i'm off to the bank to stop your payments"
"you can't do that"
"i think you'll find that i can, goodbye"
and then they spent ages chasing me for money because i'd not given them a months notice before terminating the contract and they wanted another month out of me
i told them that their equepment was sitting outside my front door and i was having nothing more to do with them and for someone to come and collect it before it started to rain (or someone walked away with the box)
about an hour later the box was gone, but i don't know who took it
Old 26-06-2007, 09:24 AM
SteveW

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Ditto - they are really shit

SteveW - that sounds like a signal problem and not the box - have you checked all the connections for both cables back to the dish?
checked the cables and the signal strength and quality and its not good on the second imput have to ring the muppets, the guy who installed it was a right dick, hope they dont send him again
Old 26-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Rob
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Flip2k3
Can you buy an old Sky + box and use it? Can't be bothered to spend £100
You will need to upgrade your LNB and also run atleast one extra feed from the dish to the STB (total of 2 feeds) to gain the full benefit of Sky+
Old 26-06-2007, 09:49 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

is the 2 feeds just so that you can watch one channel and record another?
Old 26-06-2007, 10:11 AM
dojj

yes mate
they do lnb's with 8 outputs now so you can really go to town if it works

but you need 2 lines comin in to the sky+ box, one to record what is being recorded and the other to watch something else
you can also record 2 different programs at the same time but you ned to be watching one

with sky HD you need a seperate set up so that won't work with the normal set up you've got

if the HD boxes come down to £99 i'll be getting one ins a hurry, at the moment they've gone back up to £250
Old 26-06-2007, 10:20 AM
smudge_lad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
how?

i have a dish with secondhand receiver that i paid a one off fee of £20 to have a freeview card for. can i just get the sky+ box, or another digital recorder to use with the freeview channels only? i don't want to pay any monthly fee for extra channels that i would not watch

i don't have an aerial, otherwise it would be easy to just get a freeview box with HDD

You won't be able to have sky+ recording on the Freesat service mate, because with Freesat you aren't actually subscribing to sky, so therefore you technically aren't a customer on their database with a package, so you will still have to pay the £10

I work for sky, now in the freesat dept, if anyone has any questions, just give me a shout (but don't shout AT me pls )

I'm happy to answer anything people wanna ask, and try and help if I can

The "throwing the box out the door" stuff is not the best idea, because the equipment doesn't belong to sky, it belongs to you. You don't rent the box etc from sky like you do with telewest/virgin, and cancelling you DD doesn't work either, as that is only one method of payment. Cancelling your DD doens't in turn canel the contract, so that's why sky will still chase you for the money
Old 26-06-2007, 10:37 AM
dojj

get me a sky hd box then mate

i promise not to chuck it out the window either

but in all seriousness, what i want to know is that if i have sky plus and upgrade to sky hd, why do i need to pay ANOTHER tenners worth of subscription ontop of the sky + package?
if i get sky plus installed at the other house i can carry on paying the same amount can't i?
well it owuld sem so accroding to whats been written here

or would i be best off canceling the sky subs and starting all over again afresh with the sky hd box? seeing as i've moved in to the house and the previous tenant (my brother) had everything in his name and stuff?

will i get free install?
etc?
Old 26-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I was thinking about changing over to Sky from shitty virgin. How much would sky+ with sky sports roughly set me back a month now? Im confussed on the fitting charge etc...
Old 26-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Billy
I'm sure as a new customer from virgin they'd also have your babies while fitting it all for free

I just checked sky's website and for sky+ its no subscription from the 1st July, £99 box and fitting is £60.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Doh

the sky hd box is just as unreliable as the + box, i'm well pissed with mine.. paying £300 doesn't help either!
Old 26-06-2007, 11:23 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Doh
the sky hd box is just as unreliable as the + box, i'm well pissed with mine.. paying £300 doesn't help either!
bugger then
Old 26-06-2007, 11:28 AM
smudge_lad

Originally Posted by dojj

but in all seriousness, what i want to know is that if i have sky plus and upgrade to sky hd, why do i need to pay ANOTHER tenners worth of subscription ontop of the sky + package?
if i get sky plus installed at the other house i can carry on paying the same amount can't i?

or would i be best off canceling the sky subs and starting all over again afresh with the sky hd box? seeing as i've moved in to the house and the previous tenant (my brother) had everything in his name and stuff?

will i get free install?
etc?

The reason you have to pay £10 extra, is just basically because it costs sky more money to fund the HD channels than the normal ones.

That's why a lot of the channels increase in price every year or two, becuase sky have to fork out more money to buy the programmes. For example, sky paid £1,000,000 per episode for Lost!!!!

If you have sky in more than one room, you pay normal price for the main ox, then £10 a month for the second box, with the same channels in both rooms.

Technically you shouldn't be able to cancel and start again, each customer is entitled to ONE free/subsidised system, and the problem you might face is that your brother has sky registered at his address, he has the same surname, sky might ask you to provide proof of tennancy that you are in fact not your brother

Right pain in the arse eh???? Let me know the EXACT situation - your bother has moved out, has he left his sky there for you? Has he cancelled it?

If your brother has changed his address on his sky account, then you call up and say you are a new customer, when you give them the address, it won't show that your brother stays there, so you should be ok.

The free install then depends on what setup you are going for. If you're going for HD, you only get free install if you take a second box in another room. The only thing I'm not sure on, is if you took a sky+ box as your second box, if you'd get that free if it was just a normal box it's definitely free, but you might have to pay for the sky+ one.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Jade1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We have had sky+ for over a year now, no faults, there was a few problems with recording things, just constantly failing, and then if we tried to watch it instead of recording it, it said it was unavailable.....wasnt until we called sky out that we realised one of the leads out the back was hanging out
Old 26-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Smiggy

Originally Posted by smudge_lad

The "throwing the box out the door" stuff is not the best idea, because the equipment doesn't belong to sky, it belongs to you. You don't rent the box etc from sky like you do with telewest/virgin, and cancelling you DD doesn't work either, as that is only one method of payment. Cancelling your DD doens't in turn canel the contract, so that's why sky will still chase you for the money
Made me feel better tho.

It's a long and complicated story and I can't be arsed writing it all out but it involved me taking days off my work, kunts not showing up, kunts showing up with mucky feet, leaving footprints all over our new hall carpet. Sky Customer services (and I use the term loosely) making me out to be an idiot.

Eventually box was collected from front door step as it was not fit for purpose. I had a contract with Sky to provide me with a certain level of television and they failed to do that. Contract has been cancelled and letters sent, just waiting on final refund.

They even wanted to send out some head regional sales guy to sort things out, but guess what? I had to take another day off my work so told him to get tae.

Doubt I'll get Sky again although they have made me some very attractive offers.

Will think about it again when football season starts and I get some more holidays sorted.

SMG
Old 26-06-2007, 11:35 AM
smudge_lad

Originally Posted by Billy_RST
I was thinking about changing over to Sky from shitty virgin. How much would sky+ with sky sports roughly set me back a month now? Im confussed on the fitting charge etc...
If you took sky+ think the price of the box is £99, free install if you take a second box, then it depends on whether you want half of the sports or all of them.

You'r talking just below or above £30 a month for whatever package you choose to include the sports
Old 26-06-2007, 11:40 AM
smudge_lad

Made me feel better tho.

It's a long and complicated story and I can't be arsed writing it all out but it involved me taking days off my work, kunts not showing up, kunts showing up with mucky feet, leaving footprints all over our new hall carpet. Sky Customer services (and I use the term loosely) making me out to be an idiot.

Eventually box was collected from front door step as it was not fit for purpose. I had a contract with Sky to provide me with a certain level of television and they failed to do that. Contract has been cancelled and letters sent, just waiting on final refund.

They even wanted to send out some head regional sales guy to sort things out, but guess what? I had to take another day off my work so told him to get tae.

Doubt I'll get Sky again although they have made me some very attractive offers.

Will think about it again when football season starts and I get some more holidays sorted.

SMG

Sounds like a vey bad experience matey. I'm not gonna stick my neck out and totally stick up for sky, because I know some people have had really bad service from them, and especially from engineers not turning up!! Those are the worst calls to take because there's pretty much bugger all we can do to help from the call centre I bet it felt great tossing it all away, lol!

It's obvioulsy too late to try and help you now if it's all cancelled etc, but anytime anybody on here wants to know/ask something, gimme a shout, more than happy to see if I can help you all out.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Smiggy

No worries bud, not getting at individuals, just the company in general. If the engineers aren't told to turn up then it's hardly their fault is it?

Fukin annoying tho when you take full days off your work and can't go anywhere for fear of missing them.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:50 AM
smudge_lad

No worries bud, not getting at individuals, just the company in general. If the engineers aren't told to turn up then it's hardly their fault is it?

Fukin annoying tho when you take full days off your work and can't go anywhere for fear of missing them.

Totally agree buddy. The unfortunate thing is, most people work a lot more hours/days these days, so if you canny find someone to cover for you, taking a day off is the only option

It's well annoying when they don't turn up, I've even had that myself a few times!
Old 26-06-2007, 11:56 AM
dojj

[quote="smudge_lad"]
Originally Posted by dojj

will i get free install?
etc?

The reason you have to pay £10 extra, is just basically because it costs sky more money to fund the HD channels than the normal ones.

That's why a lot of the channels increase in price every year or two, becuase sky have to fork out more money to buy the programmes. For example, sky paid £1,000,000 per episode for Lost!!!!

If you have sky in more than one room, you pay normal price for the main ox, then £10 a month for the second box, with the same channels in both rooms.
that i understand, i had sky luti room at the otehr house and it was an extra tener a month, but now sky have got a little sneaky with the broadband etc and when i unplugged the phone line ot the back of teh sky box to move it around the room, the braodband dissconnected as well, until i plugged the lead in again

Technically you shouldn't be able to cancel and start again, each customer is entitled to ONE free/subsidised system, and the problem you might face is that your brother has sky registered at his address, he has the same surname, sky might ask you to provide proof of tennancy that you are in fact not your brother
my brother has since moved to ireland and i am paying the bills in order for sky not to say he's still got to pay for them until the end of his contract

Right pain in the arse eh???? Let me know the EXACT situation - your bother has moved out, has he left his sky there for you? Has he cancelled it?
he's not canclled it, i've carried on paying the bills because he still had 3 months before his year was up, the contract is still in his name but the payments are coming from my account otherwise sky were going to screw him for breaking his contract of a minimum of a year, plus i wouldn't have got the broadband package that goes with it either
which adds another complication to the story, i want to go for the hd package and don't mind paying for the box if the install is free, but it don't look like that is going to happen does it

If your brother has changed his address on his sky account, then you call up and say you are a new customer, when you give them the address, it won't show that your brother stays there, so you should be ok.
he's not, he's fucked off and left me to cover all his bills

The free install then depends on what setup you are going for. If you're going for HD, you only get free install if you take a second box in another room. The only thing I'm not sure on, is if you took a sky+ box as your second box, if you'd get that free if it was just a normal box it's definitely free, but you might have to pay for the sky+ one.
thing is, i want to have sky+ at the other house so i want to use the old sky box, so it's just a matter of running a few cables right?
or not?
or can i sly+ the other room and go for the whole sky package from new at the other house?

money money money money
Old 26-06-2007, 12:13 PM
smudge_lad

that i understand, i had sky luti room at the otehr house and it was an extra tener a month, but now sky have got a little sneaky with the broadband etc and when i unplugged the phone line ot the back of teh sky box to move it around the room, the braodband dissconnected as well, until i plugged the lead in again
not possible matey, the broadband is in no way connected to the sky boxes at all. If you took the cable out at the phone socket rather than the back of the sky box, something must have got disturbed, ie, filter or something, but that's all it will be. It's nothing sneaky etc, scouts honour. Must have been some silly wee techy thing that went wrong while it was out. It's maybe been set up/connected wrongly

which adds another complication to the story, i want to go for the hd package and don't mind paying for the box if the install is free, but it don't look like that is going to happen does it
You will only get it free if you take another box with it

thing is, i want to have sky+ at the other house so i want to use the old sky box, so it's just a matter of running a few cables right?
or not?
or can i sly+ the other room and go for the whole sky package from new at the other house?
I'm a bit lost with what you mean here buddy, you still got sky at your other house just now?
Old 26-06-2007, 07:59 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

smudge_lad thanks for the reply mate, guessed that would be the case. nowt for free in this life is there
Old 26-06-2007, 09:01 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, I just tried to upgrade to the Sky+ and multi-room.

Couldn't.

The damn twats @ Sky have a "technical issue" which means that any cards which expire in June will not go through. Apparently, they have had this issue for over a week now. Yet my bank say they can see the attempt and there is money in the account to cover it.

Oh well, their loss............