General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The new no smoking legislation

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The new no smoking legislation

I've just got home from work to find a letter from our fleet management people. Inside the envelope there is a letter and a no smoking sticker It states that company vehicles are "workplaces" and that we have to display these "no smoking" signs or risk a fixed penalty of £200

Now I'm not a smoker so the new legislation shouldn't affect me but how ridiculous is it that you can't even smoke in a car or van, it's bad enough that they make me drive a Vectra without making it look even more like a minicab

Rant over.
Old 21-06-2007, 03:32 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a smoker and i drive a company car. nobody EVER drives my car but me other than my mrs, nor do i ever have any work colleagues in my car with me..... yet i'm not allowed to smoke in MY OWN company car that i pay £70 a month for and put fuel in

Fucking ridiculous, talk about a police state.

Does it say where you have to display the no smoking sticker.... i might put mine under the spare wheel or on the under side of the boot lid
Old 21-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
I'm a smoker and i drive a company car. nobody EVER drives my car but me other than my mrs, nor do i ever have any work colleagues in my car with me..... yet i'm not allowed to smoke in MY OWN company car that i pay £70 a month for and put fuel in

Does it say where you have to display the no smoking sticker.... i might put mine under the spare wheel or on the under side of the boot lid
Not only that but you get taxed on it too. I'm currently trying to get rid of my company car in favour of some form of cash alternative.
Old 21-06-2007, 03:39 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

we had a "smoking" brief this morning.............company car u can smoke if ur by yourself.............we work in/from a wagon and cant smoke.....whats the difference..????............i dont smoke so it means fook all to me but its a bit daft realy........we might go to a job miles away (hundereds) and u cant smoke in the cab................i can see the office staff now looking at our job sheets.............er......tab break.......tab break
Old 21-06-2007, 03:42 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

time to give up
Old 21-06-2007, 03:44 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by paulpalmer

Not only that but you get taxed on it too. I'm currently trying to get rid of my company car in favour of some form of cash alternative.
Aye that's the £70/month i was on about

Car allowance is an option, but not a very viable one for me. Car needs to be less than 4 years old, £400/month (before tax) is the car allowance i'd get.

Only been driving since Feb 2005, with 2 years NCB (company car) so a massive chunk of that allowance will be going on insurance, and not leave me fuck all to play with to get a decent car, certainly not anything like the company car i've got
Old 21-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by paulpalmer

Aye that's the £70/month i was on about

Car allowance is an option, but not a very viable one for me. Car needs to be less than 4 years old, £400/month (before tax) is the car allowance i'd get.

Only been driving since Feb 2005, with 2 years NCB (company car) so a massive chunk of that allowance will be going on insurance, and not leave me fuck all to play with to get a decent car, certainly not anything like the company car i've got
I misread that bit I pay around £140 a month in tax I think and £200 in fuel at least

We're in the middle of sorting out contracts and redundancies at the moment but because were 2 companies (telewest & NTL) brought into 1 there's complications regarding cars. Ex NTL staff didn't have cars but were paid more than us so hopefully they'll take the cars away and give us a payrise to go and buy whatever we like.
Old 21-06-2007, 03:58 PM
richj
PassionFord Regular

We've had a smoking ban here in ireland for a few years now, the best thing that ever happened, even mates that somke agree with me.
There was the same problem here with the company cars, lorries etc. but they just dont inforce it at all, spose it depends on the employer!

One thing to watch out for in the pubs is the smell of farts!!!! Seriously, before hand you'd never smell it over the smoke but once there's no smoke the smell is fuckin brutal from some people!!!!
Old 21-06-2007, 04:03 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been going on in Wales for months now, come on guys is it really that big a deal, or does smoking really mean that much to you
Old 21-06-2007, 04:05 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by PT
Been going on in Wales for months now, come on guys is it really that big a deal, or does smoking really mean that much to you
It's the fact we're being told we can't smoke in our own cars thats the problem for me
Old 21-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PT
No it doesn't it's the fact that they want to turn my car into a minicab wannabe
Old 21-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stop fucking moaning, STOP smoking, save yourselves some money and look after your health too, can't believe anyone who chooses too smoke - must all be thick.
Old 21-06-2007, 04:52 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I heard the best on the radio today infact....

A foster carer was on,and shes been told that she cant smoke in her house now,as its classed as a "place of work" as she fosters!!!!

CANT EVEN HAVE A FAG IN HER OWN HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now THATS fuckin stupid!!!!

Pete...
Old 21-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by warleydaddy

A foster carer was on,and shes been told that she cant smoke in her house now,as its classed as a "place of work" as she fosters!!!!

Pete...
i totally agree with that, why should the children she fosters be subjected to passive smoking because she wants to?

go outside i say, i hate my kids being anywhere near anyone who smokes full stop
Old 21-06-2007, 04:57 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ohhhhh i agree!!!! I admit,i smoke,but i wont smoke in some 1`s car,or around anyone (bar a pub) ina closed area,and i NEVER smoke in a resteraunt!!!!!

But been told you cant have a fag in the comfort of your own home,is VERY harsh i think..What if theres no kids there?!?!?

Pete..
Old 21-06-2007, 04:58 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree why should those kids or any kids be subjected to smoke. Me and the mrs smoke, but I have a little bench in the garden with a cover.

never never smoke in the house
Old 21-06-2007, 04:59 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree if there is no one in the house, smoke lingers
Old 21-06-2007, 05:05 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
Stop fucking moaning, STOP smoking, save yourselves some money and look after your health too, can't believe anyone who chooses too smoke - must all be thick.

Old 21-06-2007, 06:08 PM
-J-
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

What i dont get with all this no smoking stuff they keep harping on about, Barrymore puts his fag out in a swimming pool and gets arrested...

Boom Boom
Old 21-06-2007, 06:41 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not read all the posts so it may have been covered already.....

I could sign a waiver so I can smoke in my company car and not have to display a sticker.... however I don't smoke but didn't want the poxy sticker...lol

Steve
Old 21-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by warleydaddy

Pete...
No its not Pete. Why should a little innocent child thats been through enough shit in its life already have in inhale her smoke?
Old 21-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Company cars are specifically excluded from workplace smoking legislation, so saying it is the law is a bit of a cop-out but if you regularly carry colleagues, suppliers or clients there is a risk to the employer of exposing them to your smoke and ending up being sued.

Vans, buses taxis and trucks are considered as workplaces so are covered.

But, just as someone above said they won't smoke in someone else's car, I think the employer or the owner of your company car SHOULD be able to say no smoking in it - we can spot the cars that have been driven by smokers even if they use the window instead of the ashtrays, and they do fetch less at resale.
Old 21-06-2007, 11:31 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
we can spot the cars that have been driven by smokers even if they use the window instead of the ashtrays, and they do fetch less at resale.
what gave it away? all the ash down the drivers door?
Old 21-06-2007, 11:44 PM
starturbo

its the fact that once again we are being told what to do by blair and his fookin stupid sidekicks once again.this is a government that has fooked this country once and for all.if you were born here and work full time and have an occasional embassy and a few pints then you dont really have any rights anymore.where would that tosser brown be if it wasnt for the tax on fags?up a creek without a fookin paddle.if we all packed in though he would raise a tax for everyone.not sure which one though?probably rape a few more pension funds.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Why should we non smokers have to breathe in all your passive smoke? If you wan't to kill yourself I couldn't give a shit but I quite frankly don't want too.

Benni.
Old 22-06-2007, 01:25 AM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

Im a Taxi driver and even if your not working , you cannot smoke in the vehicle that you use for work

i dont smoke so it doesnt bother me at all , but alot of the blokes i work with will go mental
Old 22-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
Why should we non smokers have to breathe in all your passive smoke? If you wan't to kill yourself I couldn't give a shit but I quite frankly don't want too.

Benni.
in that case, get the fuck out my car

re the foster carer... surely with kids, they will be out in the garden too sometimes.. does that make the garden a place of work and therefore illegal to smoke there too?
Old 22-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all this was really about health, they'd ban selling them in the first place.
Old 22-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Graham S1
If all this was really about health, they'd ban selling them in the first place.

The sooner they ban the dirty smelly fucking things the better
Old 22-06-2007, 11:06 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PT
It's the fact we're being told we can't smoke in our own cars thats the problem for me

My heart bleeds it really does. Its a nasty little addiction that breeds selfish people and its about time we raised the foot and stamped on these fuckers. I think all the current pressure on smokers is great and i'm enjoying it. Hopefully we'll line them up next and shoot them!

I'd love to be forced into the shop to buy something every day/week rather than having a choice.
Old 22-06-2007, 11:22 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3

I do agree with the above comment though.

its not just to do with the smoking ban itself though. Part of the reason is due to road saftey as smoking whilst driving can and does cause accidents, so if it stops even a few doing it, it can only be a good thing for everyone including smokers in my opinion.. #

And if it means a few less tab ends out the window then thats good too.

Smokers do get it bad though. They pay through the nose to harm themselves, stink like an ash tray, and then get told where and when they can and cant do it. And no doubt people will still continue to do it.
Old 22-06-2007, 11:29 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by skeg
Originally Posted by PT

My heart bleeds it really does. Its a nasty little addiction that breeds selfish people and its about time we raised the foot and stamped on these fuckers. I think all the current pressure on smokers is great and i'm enjoying it. Hopefully we'll line them up next and shoot them!

I'd love to be forced into the shop to buy something every day/week rather than having a choice.
Harsh, but generally quite true.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:03 PM
smudge_lad

my dad got caught having a sly fag in his lorry, and the council don't even need photographic evidence to prove it, so there's no point in him argueing it

The thing is, even though he is the only one driving the cab 99% of the time, there is that 1% chance that someone else might have to be in there at some point, so that's where this law comes into it.

Even if the driver isn't smoking at the point where someone else is in the vehicle, if he's had one prior to that, then the smoke will still be in and around the cab/vehicle.

The garden of the foster home doesn't come into it as it's not an enclosed space.

The only problem now with the pubs etc, the smokers tend to stand right at the front door! So you gotta walk through them just to get in, so you end up stinking of fag reek anyway!

A lot of places have built shelters outside, with heaters etc which is good. It's great being able to nip along to the pub for a wee pint after work, or on sunday to watch the footie and not having to go home for a wash!!!

The government couldnt ban selling the fags, as people have the right to choose what they want to do with their bodies, or buy with their money, but this law is spot on imo, as the non-smokers have never had the right to choose NOT to smoke before, they've had to endure passive smoking anytime they've gone out to the pub or whatever.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

If we all quit smoking, they're going to start raping the motorists to make up the shortfall in cash..

petrol WILL go up. Road tax WILL go up.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:23 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rab
If we all quit smoking, they're going to start raping the motorists to make up the shortfall in cash..

petrol WILL go up. Road tax WILL go up.

The NHS is fucked and always needs more funding, how much do you think smokers contribute in a negative way towards the NHS? I'd say it was a significant percentage.

I've had 2 grandparents die early because of smoking, 1 at 65 and one at 66 and one of them was on a hospital bed dying with ankles like ballons because the circulation was impaired. Speach was also affected so for me saying smoking has a positive because of any surplus revenue the government MAY get is like women saying "i can't give up because i will gain weight".
Old 22-06-2007, 12:25 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i laugh at the people who are outraged because they cant have a smoke when it suits them.its their human right they say. its my human right to be able to freely go where i choose and not have to suffer inconsiderate twats smoking like fucking chimneys when im eating/drinking/sitting chilling out or whatever .the smoking bans been up here for a while and its made a great difference .i no longer smell like a fucking ashtray when i get home.if you want to smoke then fine but do it outside and stop fucking winging and think off other people once in a while.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:27 PM
focusbird
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ah so because I'm a smoker I'm selfish am I? How's that then?

I smoke by myself, I dispose of my cigarette ends appropriately, I don't blow smoke on anyone and it's my own money I'm spending on them - how am I selfish? I reckon people who drink alcohol are far more selfish than me when they're pissed

I'm all for no smoking in public or enclosed areas, doesn't bother me one bit.

For those whining about having a sticker in your vehicle, try one of these instead: http://www.advantamarketing.co.uk/ac...ml#aSTD3_2dNOS

Originally Posted by Fleetworld magazine
Any motor vehicle used in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person (even if those persons use the vehicle at different times, or only intermittently) needs to be smoke free and display a no smoking sign).
The following rules apply:
- Employees who have a company vehicle for their sole use may not smoke while carrying colleagues for work purposes.
- Employees who have a company vehicle for their sole use may smoke while carrying colleagues to and from a place of work as these journeys are counted as private use.
- Drivers will not be allowed to smoke in a company vehicle if it used by more than one employee. (For example; pool cars, as colleagues driving or being a passenger in that vehicle might later inhale their smoke).
- Employees sharing a pool car will not be allowed to smoke in the vehicle, even if all the users of the vehicle are smokers.
- A shared company vehicle is exempt from the smoking ban if it is a convertible- but only when the roof is down.
Old 22-06-2007, 12:31 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

IMO smoking should not be allowed in cars as its more dangerous than using a mobile due to potential fire hazzard

Oh F**k i've dropped my fag instant reaction were is it = not in control of car

And why would u want to drive an ashtray

The motorist WILL always be fleeced cos its easy
Old 22-06-2007, 01:32 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by fuzzy
:i no longer smell like a fucking ashtray when i get home.:
No, but you still sound like a c*nt.

Quick Reply: The new no smoking legislation