General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Firearms

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2007, 11:27 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firearms

Anyone here got a firearms cert?

Basically....through the RAFVR(T) I'm a qualified Weapons Instructor and have now just done my Range Management course (SA(SR)07) with the Small Arms School Corps.....which has inspired me

Anyway, aside from what I can do with service rifles on service ranges....I'd like to own my own rifle, for use in my spare time.

My step dad has a FAC and a few .22 rimfire rifles, and lives on a farm. He's obviously got an arms chest and uses it for target shooting and pest control.

I'd like to get my own FAC and rifle or two, but don't know anything about how to go about it.....Basically it'd be used for improving my marksmanship (because despite being about to instruct the weapon, coach marksmanship and run ranges....I'm a sh*t shot ). But in my position I can do all the above, but theres often little opportunity to spend time putting rounds down myself.

Would ideally like to purchase something a bit more exotic than a standard 0.22 rimfire, have seen a few nice rifles kicking about AR-16s, theres also a straight-pull 0.223 mag-fed rifle I quiet like the look of.
Ideally I'd like to get one of those and improve my shot, aswell as doing a bit of pest control.

Anyone know what the score is? I assume getting a 0.22 rimfire would be easy, but how would I go about getting a larger calibre rifle? WHat are the restrictions? I know full/semi automatic are generally out, but have heard 0.22rf blowback is allowed? How do you justify it propperly?

Thanks for any input.

PS. PF wannabe gangsters need not reply, just because this thread is about guns
Old 20-06-2007, 11:43 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Thanks Matt...

Thinking long term, I'd really love to own a 0.50 calibre target rifle. The aim of the first rifle or two is to improve my grouping to such a degree that I could then move upto 1000m ranges (and obviously need a larger cal rifle).

Booked onto my long range RMQ course later this year, which will allow me to run ranges such as this;

But running them is one thing, having the opportunity to use them as a firer for long enough to see results is quiet another .
Old 21-06-2007, 06:15 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think I could get a firearms license, I have a conviction for FIREARMS offences, but 9 years old now ?
tabetha
Old 21-06-2007, 02:28 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend in work is into it big style phil,, i can get you in touch with him, and he'll guide your through it

is that range your showed up sennybridge ? as my mate emailed me photos just a few days ago of them shoot 0.50 guns up there
Old 21-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
my friend in work is into it big style phil,, i can get you in touch with him, and he'll guide your through it

is that range your showed up sennybridge ? as my mate emailed me photos just a few days ago of them shoot 0.50 guns up there
Is that an M16??
Old 21-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first of all you need to be of good character IE not beddm convicted of armed robbery or murder,if you have been in trouble before but a long time ago you can still get a FAC I have mates who have been in jsil of assult and i know of other crimes whicj they have been granted a FAC
anyway you need to call your local police GQ and they will send you an application form.fill in in and as long as you have permission on land or you are a memebr of a shooting club job done
Old 21-06-2007, 04:12 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Originally Posted by GARETH T

Is that an M16??
i dont think it is mate,,, but you wouldnt believe what you can legally own in the uk,, its just kept a little quite because of the wankers who llower the sport

50cals at senny,, just grabbed them off a website
Old 21-06-2007, 06:10 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Friend has a BELGIAN FN!!
tabetha
Old 21-06-2007, 07:38 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Thanks Pete - Would there be any issue in my address being in Cardiff, but wanting to store the rifle in my old dear's arms chest in Gloucestershite? Or would I apply for the FAC in my name at her address? I'd imagine you can store them wherever as long as its in an arms chest thats been inspected by the police.

Gareth, yeah, that pic is of J3a range at Senny....they have some really nice ranges up there, interestingly I've never live fired up there....only blank firing excersises.
Old 21-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

you can own an M16 or variants of it but not as a semi automatic or automatic rifle!!!!

i know you used to be able to get .22 rimfire semi auto's but dont know if they were banned yet.

You can buy single shot M16's but you have to cock it after each shot which makes it the same as any other .223/5.56mm rifle in that sense.

ME likes the accuracy international AW50!!! nice gun.
Old 21-06-2007, 11:05 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Warren, yeah I've seen the AR15s (M16 type rifles). 0.22 rimfire blowback is OK in semi-auto....so the L98s with L41A1 0.22 rimfire conversion kits are legal to own, fook knows where you'd get one from though!
Old 21-06-2007, 11:40 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

ive got a 150 brake strain crossbow just under the legal conditions it takes two people to string it up

silent but deadly

the M82 Barrett rifle shells go through walls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M82_Barrett_rifle
Old 21-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Is that an M16??
no sights in the the nam mo fo lol
Old 22-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have my firearms license Phil, We need a chat mate
Old 22-06-2007, 08:56 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i love shooting but haven't done much and don't have a licence or anything. don't think i'd have the time to justify it, as it would be just a casual hobby along with several others rather than like a full time hobby

i recently bought a scope for my air rifle that i've had for years and have been doing a bit of target shooting in the garden. i had a day out on a game lodge in south africa and we got to fire some pretty serious rifles which was brilliant

Old 22-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We was sharing, but I dont have an actualy pic of me firing - Anyway, 600 live rounds through a GPMG is fun!

Shotguns are fun too....

Old 22-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Alex_86
Advanced PassionFord User

i did "own" one back in the days in the army, now i have a paintball gun