General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Computer/Internet Help

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2007, 12:07 PM
ryan_belfast
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer/Internet Help

Right ive got a 4mb BT Broadband line in my house blah blah...

using bt broadband home hub...

had an engineer out today and he was receiving speeds of over 3mb on his laptop with his own wee modem thingy... now on my pc i can only EVER get speeds of about 30kb/s whether im downloading from microsoft.com or any other website.. so i think something might either be wrong with the settings on my computer or the home hub needs some ports opened or some bollocks...

windows firewall is off....

can anyone help? its doing my absolute fucking titties in!!!

if not the computer is getting some
Old 20-06-2007, 12:13 PM
ryan_belfast

has to be something with the router/bthomehub as the wireless on the laptop is only getting roughly the same speed as the computer... anyone any ideas?
Old 20-06-2007, 12:53 PM
ryan_belfast

Tried it with my old router too instead of that bthomehub thing and it came back with the same speed so now im thinking it isnt the homehub that its something on my computer... how do i change this shit to make it run properly? are there ports need opened or something?
Old 20-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Use this & find out what kind of connection speed you are getting!!!

http://www.speedtest.net/

Old 20-06-2007, 12:58 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Right, so the engineer didn't actually do anything to your pc ? Is it a usb modem or is it a cable modem ?
Old 20-06-2007, 01:10 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Are you using USB or ethernet interface?? If using USB, fucking bin it and use ethernet

If your laptop is only downloading at 30kb/s as well then it cant be a fault with your pc can it?

Check all your filters, unplug any extensions and try it. You might be getting line noise from an unfiltered extension (sky box, redcare etc)

The BT HomeHub's are shite though, bodged up thomson speedtouch firmware that they've managed to make even worse.

Installed one for a mate, pc over USB (didnt have a ethernet card in the pc at the time) wouldnt connect to the internet unless laptop was connected over wireless. Disable wireless on the laptop and the PC loses internet altogether. fuckin explain that one

Buy a Linksys router, then you'll know for sure if it's a line/internal wiring problem. I don't trust BT routers as far as i can throw them, and believe me i've wanted to many a time

Also, your line may sync at 4mbit but you may not get anywhere near those DL speeds. But 30kb/s is extremely low.

Mine sync's at 1mbit but only downloads at max of 80kb/s because i'm fuckin miles away from my exchange in the middle of a field
Old 20-06-2007, 01:16 PM
ryan_belfast

Download - 225KB/s
Upload - 282KB/s

Roughly the same on both the laptop and pc.

So im confused as fuck...

Ive tried two different routers, one bt home hub and the other is a DLink DSL604+

Any ideas?
Old 20-06-2007, 01:17 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Have you got norton internet "security" or any other "security" software installed?

Have you got security enabled (WEP/WPA) on your wireless? Your next door neighbour might be hammering bit-torrent
Old 20-06-2007, 01:18 PM
ryan_belfast

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
Are you using USB or ethernet interface?? If using USB, fucking bin it and use ethernet

If your laptop is only downloading at 30kb/s as well then it cant be a fault with your pc can it?

Check all your filters, unplug any extensions and try it. You might be getting line noise from an unfiltered extension (sky box, redcare etc)

The BT HomeHub's are shite though, bodged up thomson speedtouch firmware that they've managed to make even worse.

Installed one for a mate, pc over USB (didnt have a ethernet card in the pc at the time) wouldnt connect to the internet unless laptop was connected over wireless. Disable wireless on the laptop and the PC loses internet altogether. fuckin explain that one

Buy a Linksys router, then you'll know for sure if it's a line/internal wiring problem. I don't trust BT routers as far as i can throw them, and believe me i've wanted to many a time

Also, your line may sync at 4mbit but you may not get anywhere near those DL speeds. But 30kb/s is extremely low.

Mine sync's at 1mbit but only downloads at max of 80kb/s because i'm fuckin miles away from my exchange in the middle of a field
Right, the bt engineer came out and did various tests and he was getting around 3.8mb download speed, which would be about right for a 4mb line and he agreed it was about right as im only a mile or two from the exchange so that shouldnt be an issue...

he installed a new master box and also a master ADSL box too which a wire runs straight from that up to my router so it cant be a wiring fault.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:18 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

That's about right for a 3 meg line, give or take a few kb a second. A 10 meg line gives 1000k a sec.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:19 PM
ryan_belfast

Have you got norton internet "security" or any other "security" software installed?

Have you got security enabled (WEP/WPA) on your wireless? Your next door neighbour might be hammering bit-torrent
the laptop has trend pc cillin internet security but the computer has none

But yes the bt home hub has wep enabled.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:20 PM
ryan_belfast

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
That's about right for a 3 meg line, give or take a few kb a second. A 10 meg line gives 1000k a sec.
So the maximum i should be downloading at is 30kb/s?? I thought it should be 300kb/s???
Old 20-06-2007, 01:24 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by ryan_belfast
So the maximum i should be downloading at is 30kb/s?? I thought it should be 300kb/s???
you should be seeing around 300kb/s generally.

Go to your bt master socket, take the 2 screws out of the front and take the panel off the front. inside there is another socket. Plug your filter into this and your router into the filter. This has now isolated all your extension sockets, and the only thing in the house connected to a phone line is now your router that you have just plugged in. try it again and see what speeds you get

This will rule out any internal wiring issues.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:24 PM
ryan_belfast

Cannot be right for a 4mb line?
Old 20-06-2007, 01:27 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

4mb doesnt mean 4mb. When you take into account network overheads, contention ratio's, distance from the exchange, plus it's on BTBroadband (hardly the fastest ISP) etc

1mbit usually gets around 90-120kbps depending on location, distance from exchange etc
Old 20-06-2007, 01:28 PM
ryan_belfast

you should be seeing around 300kb/s generally.

Go to your bt master socket, take the 2 screws out of the front and take the panel off the front. inside there is another socket. Plug your filter into this and your router into the filter. This has now isolated all your extension sockets, and the only thing in the house connected to a phone line is now your router that you have just plugged in. try it again and see what speeds you get

This will rule out any internal wiring issues.
He already installed a new box on that this morning dude, and the only thing connected to it is this new ADSL box he put on... the only thing connected to my main socket in the house is the ADSL at the minute, ive pulled everything else out including phones and sky...

It cant be a wiring issue cos he took the wire that goes into my router and put it into his modem and it came up with 3.8mb and im only getting 300kbs..
Old 20-06-2007, 01:29 PM
ryan_belfast

4mb doesnt mean 4mb. When you take into account network overheads, contention ratio's, distance from the exchange, plus it's on BTBroadband (hardly the fastest ISP) etc

1mbit usually gets around 90-120kbps depending on location, distance from exchange etc
Whever I first installed the homehub etc before i started getting issues i was getting speeds on that speedtest.net of around 3400 etc... so something is wrong.
Old 20-06-2007, 01:30 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

your confused.... it's 3.8m/BIT not 3.8 m/BYTE!

if you have a 4mb line it doesnt mean you can download at 4 megabytes per second

300kb/s is about right for the line speed you are on

which is what that test shows.

speedtest shows your line speed in k/bit which is 4000k/bit - that test you showed was in k/bytes. the download speed your computer will show on a bitorrent/internet explorer download. 8 bits in a byte
Old 20-06-2007, 01:32 PM
ryan_belfast

Well how come before, it was downloading at around 3200/3400 and now its downloading at only 300?
Old 20-06-2007, 01:32 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

guys dont forget:

line speed is quoted in megaBIT.
File sizes, hard drives and memory are quoted in MegaBYTE

There are 8 bits to 1 byte.

gets confusing!
Old 20-06-2007, 01:33 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ops got beaten to it!
Old 20-06-2007, 01:34 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Well how come before, it was downloading at around 3200/3400 and now its downloading at only 300?
Unless you had 34mbit broadband before (and recently moved here from Japan) thats not likely, on BT's tin pot shite cabling
Old 20-06-2007, 01:35 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer
ops got beaten to it!
beat you with the edit
Old 20-06-2007, 01:36 PM
ryan_belfast

well how do you explain this then, i was frequently getting around this speed??? this is a test i did a few weeks ago when the line was running well...

I think you guys are the ones getting confused about what it should be.

For example, when im downloading something from microsoft.com - you would think it would be downloading rather quick, well errr no, i cant get anything over 20kb/s
Old 20-06-2007, 01:39 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

well how do you explain this then, i was frequently getting around this speed??? this is a test i did a few weeks ago when the line was running well...

I think you guys are the ones getting confused about what it should be.

For example, when im downloading something from microsoft.com - you would think it would be downloading rather quick, well errr no, i cant get anything over 20kb/s
Thats a hell of a lot faster than 4mb

according to the rev counter thing on the right hand side your about 8mbit
Old 20-06-2007, 01:40 PM
ryan_belfast

No its not, jesus... go and do a test yourself and you'll see... that works out at just under a 3mb line..

Right its near enough 10x slower than what im supposed to be getting and that is reflected in my downloads, i cant get anything faster than about 30kbs when it used to download at around 200/300kbs.

no that rev counter is the same for anything, its just a still demonstrator pic lol
Old 20-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ryan....you are completely right in what you are saying - I understand where you are coming from.....274kb/s from SpeedTest.net is appauling especially on a supposed 4Mb line!!

Sounds to me like there is definately something amiss on one/both of your computers, could be virus or spyware related or, someone else using your connection to be honest!!!

Have you tried to connect to the internet with either just the laptop or just the computer switched on? I'd be inclined to turn off the wireless & the computer & connect to the HomeHub to your laptop via an ethernet cable because you actually have some kind of security on there. I'd get rid of PcCillin & install AVG & do a spyware scan using Ad-Aware then see how you fare!!! Also give the homehub a cold reboot - power off - wait 10secs then back on again!!!

Old 20-06-2007, 01:59 PM
ryan_belfast

Cheers Lee, you see where im coming from, finally, i was going insane there thinking I was wrong lol...

Ive the laptop connected to the router via ethernet cable now and its still giving me the same reading, so im gonna phone the Service provider and see if they are capping my download speed. apparently if you download quite a lot they will do this, i download quite a few songs and movies so could be that.
Old 20-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers Lee, you see where im coming from, finally, i was going insane there thinking I was wrong lol...

Ive the laptop connected to the router via ethernet cable now and its still giving me the same reading, so im gonna phone the Service provider and see if they are capping my download speed. apparently if you download quite a lot they will do this, i download quite a few songs and movies so could be that.
Possibly....but then you've got to ask yourself why was it quicker on the BT engineers laptop??!!!
Old 20-06-2007, 02:06 PM
ryan_belfast

Originally Posted by Lee_R21Turbo

Possibly....but then you've got to ask yourself why was it quicker on the BT engineers laptop??!!!
I really dont have a clue lol... its rigged...

shall i just re-install windows and see what happens??
Old 20-06-2007, 02:21 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Right, I just got :

And off microsoft :

Now, whilst speedtest seem's to be the recent daddy of ADSL and cable broadband test's you can see quite clearly that it isn't.

On a 1 meg line I would see about 996 - 1000k a sec, on the 20 meg line I see 1. - 1.8 meg a second.

Now, 56k modems gave you what? 4 - 5k a sec if you was lucky.

1 meg line is about 56k k a second
2 meg line is about 128k a second
4 meg line is about 380 odd k a second
5 meg line is about 500k a second

You see the pattern here ?

As for m8y's laptop being significantly quicker then yours, what's the spec of the machine ? A fresh install of windows might generally speed things up a little, but not massive amounts.
Old 20-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ryan.....sounds like a plan if it aint too much hassle!!!

Dan....good speed that mate - 8 - 10 meg line???
Old 20-06-2007, 02:30 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

20 meg line m8
Old 20-06-2007, 02:34 PM
ryan_belfast

Yeah but you see your little windows box that youve downloaded stuff on, ie this one...

Im lucky if my computer will hit 30kb/s on that... usually its around 18/20kb/s and thats off ALL websites...
Old 20-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 meg line is about 56k k a second
2 meg line is about 128k a second
4 meg line is about 380 odd k a second
5 meg line is about 500k a second
I like the theory there dan but it dont allways work like that

Bt 8Meg and im less than 2 mile's from the local exchange
Old 20-06-2007, 02:39 PM
ryan_belfast

fuck all your speeds, whats wrong with mine

Old 20-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuck all your speeds, whats wrong with mine

Fk knows mate
Old 20-06-2007, 02:43 PM
ryan_belfast

Why the foook dont we have bulldog over here!!!
Old 20-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why the foook dont we have bulldog over here!!!
Cos Bulldogs are British!!!
Old 20-06-2007, 02:54 PM
ryan_belfast

Im british too, ive a british passport ballbag :P NORTHERN IRELAND is part of Britain, Republic of Ireland isnt :P

Im in northern ireland

Back to topic, some fucker fix my internet or this computer is going out the cunting window.