General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

foa any capenterists

Search this Thread

Old 19-06-2007, 07:42 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default foa any capenterists

or other buildy types with wood and shelves and shit
i've got myself some of these

from here http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S69821398

for any of you who are following the hdtv thread, what i want to do is fix these shelves into the alcove inbetween the wall and the chimeney brest (they are along enough so they need to be cut down) and the plan is to use some baten to go into the wall and then put these over the top to rest on it, no need to screw them to the wall as the baten will go into the over hangs on either side

and the bit thats left over (about an inch) can wrap around to go behind the telly so that i can hide the wires underneath with a bit of vaneir to go over the top to hide it all away
and because they will be sitting further out from the wall by about an inch i can dangle cables round the back as well before covering them up

i was also thinking of fixing through the rear overhang into the wall via some spacers just to be on the safe side

what i don't want to do is waste the space underneath so i need to get a bit of sofa or soemthign to go under the shelves as the computer table is going to go on the other side of the chimeny brest, again, with hidden cables because i'm going to put a panel all around the bottom of the telly to hide any wires that may be on display

anyone got an other ideas before i get the cirular saw and drill bits out?

or does someone want to volenteer their services for some home made food
Old 19-06-2007, 07:44 AM
dojj

and before anyone else mentions it, the supports that hold the shelves apart won't be in there, i just want the shelves to "float" in the alcove
Old 19-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I take it you want the shelves to fit in the alcove so the ends are touching the wall and this is where it will be supported by the battons?

Are you planning on putting a batton against the back aswell for support? I dont know how strong the shevles are and by just having them supported at each end it is likley to sag in the middle.

You can allways use batton along the back edge but just leave a space for your wires to run through.

This is only relevent if i have understood the way you want to them to fit.
Old 19-06-2007, 10:27 AM
dojj

thats exactly right

because the've got a folded over edge front and rear o want to be able to put all the cables and stuff in and then just put a thin sheet of ply over the bottom to cover the hollow bits

as for the rears, i was thinking of making holes through the lip and using some spacers to secure it to the wall, that way i would still have space for teh cabling and the underneath would still be covered and look like a solid shelf
Old 19-06-2007, 10:52 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Err! what is a capenterist

Luciano
Old 19-06-2007, 11:01 AM
ricky_3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Err! what is a capenterist

Luciano

My thought exactly
Old 19-06-2007, 11:14 AM
dojj

a woodworkerer
Old 19-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the english you are requiring is.. CARPENTERS

HTH
Old 19-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
thats exactly right

because the've got a folded over edge front and rear o want to be able to put all the cables and stuff in and then just put a thin sheet of ply over the bottom to cover the hollow bits

as for the rears, i was thinking of making holes through the lip and using some spacers to secure it to the wall, that way i would still have space for teh cabling and the underneath would still be covered and look like a solid shelf
You shouldnt have a problem doing it like that mate, i was thinking of a batton with a lip to go over the bit on the shelf[if you understand that]. The way you are going to do it is just as good though, different ideas thats all.

I would offer to come over and do it but my engine is priority. Tbh though you seem pretty switched on you could do it yourself bud, just take you time measuring stuff up and making sure its level. Measure twice cut once
Old 19-06-2007, 12:20 PM
dojj

lernt that lesson a long time ago
i'm going to measure, mark, then measure again and then cut a bit bigger as it's always easier to remove more wood than it is to glue the swadust back onto the shelf

the only thing i'm worried about is the fact that i might mount them either too far apart or too close together, so i think thats going to be another one for the anoraks to figure out
Old 24-06-2007, 09:47 PM
dojj

pics in the tomorrow but one shelf is up so far

measured twice, cut once, still didn't fit
ended up triming it a futher 4 times to make it fit
and then i drilled the holes in the wall in the wrong place
but it's level, almost, it's 2mm lower down on one side than the other but across a 134mm span i don't think it's that bad, i can always space it up a little to make it truely level

and yes, they look great

well they will do when i've put more than just the single one up