General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

another hdtv question

Search this Thread

Old 13-06-2007, 01:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

so what you are now saying that that ishuld just fork otu for the pdp507xa then and it'll be fine for ages until i can get another mortgage to pay for another one yes?

i've sat physics lessons that are easier than this therad
Old 13-06-2007, 01:33 PM
RS_Ant
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dojj get that samsung i told you to get yesturday. Its just an all round better TV then the poinoeer and it cheaper. Not to mension its a FULL TRUE HD enabled TV unlike the pinoeer.
Old 13-06-2007, 02:02 PM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by RS_Ant
dojj get that samsung i told you to get yesturday. Its just an all round better TV then the poinoeer and it cheaper. Not to mension its a FULL TRUE HD enabled TV unlike the pinoeer.
absolute rubbish
the pioneer pisses all over it

just cause its 1080p does not automatically make it a better tv

the lcd would be nice for consoles i give you that but i bet its awful with sd material like ALL lcd's

lcd's above 32" can not compete with plasmas even the new generation. they are gaining (slightly) but still way off !!
Old 13-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Go into a shop and compare them side by side and you will realise what you say is rubbish.

It don't matter how many pixels it got. If its look blocky and blacks don't look black then its shite.
Old 13-06-2007, 03:18 PM
dojj

well, i've been to a few shops today and all i can say is that, compared side by side, the lg is a better screen than the pioneer one

that said, i'm off to comet in a bit to see if they will do me a better deal otherwise it's back to head sctracthing again
Old 13-06-2007, 03:57 PM
RS_Ant
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Dannn
Go into a shop and compare them side by side and you will realise what you say is rubbish.

It don't matter how many pixels it got. If its look blocky and blacks don't look black then its shite.

WOW, you know what your talking about

FACT 1 : I worked in seven oaks for nearly 4yrs, that meens i know alot fucking more then you

FACT 2 : TV's that are on show displaying pictures are mnisleading, manufactors turn the contrast/brightness/colour ect ect up to max so that when stupid customers look at there TV's they go " WOW look how bright and coulourful the image is" In fact id bet money now that YOUR living room TV has'nt been set-up properly

FACT 3 : Show rooms use big lights and they shine on the TV. Light on screens affects contrast, do you have big industrial lihgts in your house? It might look good in the show room lighting conditions, but will it look the same in the lighting condidtions of your living room?

FACT 4 : NO affordable flat panel display will ever acheive a true BLACK.

FACT 5 : Show rooms only show 720p material, so comparing a 720p set to a true hd 1080p set is pointless, a 1080p set running 1080p material will completely and uterly kill a 720p set.
Old 13-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

dojj, i'd let you eyes do the buying, if you aint intending on using a ps3 / 360, or sky hd, then forget all this i p stuff.

look at a few, find one with a picture you like, go home search then net 1. to make sure it has no reliablity issues 2. to find the best price

but what do i know, ive got a 44" rear projection, does me allright no plans to get HD stuff, plasma lcd, until it brakes, even then dont see me needing a HD set, my sega saturn and sega rally look fine on it
Old 13-06-2007, 08:13 PM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by dojj
well, i've been to a few shops today and all i can say is that, compared side by side, the lg is a better screen than the pioneer one

that said, i'm off to comet in a bit to see if they will do me a better deal otherwise it's back to head sctracthing again
get the lg50pc1d as ive said

only £900 and a good alrounder

i love mine
Old 13-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Dannn

WOW, you know what your talking about
Thanks mate

FACT 1 : I worked in seven oaks for nearly 4yrs, that meens i know alot fucking more then you
I know people that have worked in the IT industry for over ten years and they are still fuckwits so I don't see your point!

FACT 2 : TV's that are on show displaying pictures are mnisleading, manufactors turn the contrast/brightness/colour ect ect up to max so that when stupid customers look at there TV's they go " WOW look how bright and coulourful the image is" In fact id bet money now that YOUR living room TV has'nt been set-up properly
I have been into several shops and looked at the LCD and plasmas. Plasma IMO looked more organic just like my 36" sony crt. It also appears that other people also agree espeically when watching SD stuff. Btw my 36" crt is setup just fine.

FACT 3 : Show rooms use big lights and they shine on the TV. Light on screens affects contrast, do you have big industrial lihgts in your house? It might look good in the show room lighting conditions, but will it look the same in the lighting condidtions of your living room?
And in those lit conditions the LCD's don't show their poor blacks. I am more interested in what the TV looks like in the dark as then you get to see how good or bad it really is and also as thats how I watch films etc.

FACT 4 : NO affordable flat panel display will ever acheive a true BLACK.
fact - Plasma do a much better job than LCD's.

FACT 5 : Show rooms only show 720p material, so comparing a 720p set to a true hd 1080p set is pointless, a 1080p set running 1080p material will completely and uterly kill a 720p set.
1080P is not really needed, 720P will be fine for most peoples purposes. As you probably worked out I don't own a LCD/Plasma in my lounge (my boy has a really good 32" lcd in his bedroom thou). The reason I don't have one is because I want to have a look at the new 1080P plasmas before I buy one just to see if the extra cost is worth it. Not that I really need it, more because I can.
Old 13-06-2007, 08:57 PM
dojj

right then
after loads of searching and prioce comparisons, i've gone and bought myself an LG PC1D from comet for a grand with a set of leads thrown in to add to the deal (but i also got a tumble drier and an air con unit with the money i saved )

i also got myself one of the LG RH200MH dvd recorders with the 250gb hard drive to play with, with warranty and cables and stuff it all came to £30 less than the sticker price so there as well

so, not what i wanted, but it's all here right here and now for me to play with so after work tomorrow i'll be tinking with stuff

with the added benifit of both machines being from the same company there are no compatiabiilty problems so, once the wall braket has arrived, it's up on the wall and away we go
Old 13-06-2007, 09:00 PM
dojj

i also checked out the 1080p stuff and it was a fair bit more money that i paid for everything i bought today
Old 13-06-2007, 09:06 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dojj

PICS or STFU
Old 14-06-2007, 05:54 AM
dojj

wait till i get home, the camera was at work

but fuck me its a big basart, you don't realise how big they are in the shops until you try and get them through the doors, and the box don't fit
Old 14-06-2007, 09:00 AM
stonehavencossie

right then
after loads of searching and prioce comparisons, i've gone and bought myself an LG PC1D from comet for a grand with a set of leads thrown in to add to the deal (but i also got a tumble drier and an air con unit with the money i saved )

i also got myself one of the LG RH200MH dvd recorders with the 250gb hard drive to play with, with warranty and cables and stuff it all came to £30 less than the sticker price so there as well

so, not what i wanted, but it's all here right here and now for me to play with so after work tomorrow i'll be tinking with stuff

with the added benifit of both machines being from the same company there are no compatiabiilty problems so, once the wall braket has arrived, it's up on the wall and away we go
so you got the lg50pc1d ?

if so a crackin choice. will keep you tied over till proper 1080p is viable

if you need any advice on settings etc let me know
Old 14-06-2007, 09:01 AM
stonehavencossie

RSANT

If you worked in sevenoaks for 4 years and think lcd is better than plasma at larger screen sizes then .................................

NOTE TO SELF : Never buy a tv or ask advice from sevenoaks !!!
Old 14-06-2007, 03:13 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
right then

so you got the lg50pc1d ?

if so a crackin choice. will keep you tied over till proper 1080p is viable

if you need any advice on settings etc let me know
cheers

got some monster cables as well as part of the deal and, with the stuff hooked up on the display model you cuold see the difference

just waiting to see which wall bracket to get and then it'll be up and running
Old 14-06-2007, 03:46 PM
stonehavencossie

my mate got the same tv and bought his bracket from makro

its quiet kool, its one of those that lets you move the tv up and down and left and right

loads of usefull info in here, a lot of crap to though

im the one that started the thread, johny1980

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394827

the other sections might be handy for ur other av kit. ive found it helpfull with loads of stuff
Old 14-06-2007, 07:04 PM
dojj

63 pages of it

i'll try and get through them all
Old 14-06-2007, 07:51 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by avid-fan
dojj

PICS or STFU

Old 14-06-2007, 08:11 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no i want to see it set up

and no grainy ones next time

Old 14-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Fagin

More bullshit in this thread than down the local farm!!!

Just bought one of the latest Samsung M87 range (46") 1080p LCD. To say I am impressed is an understatement. This is coming from a die hard Plasma fan. SD is as good as my plasma, whilst 1080p stuff is awesome. Blacks on this screen are AS good as a plasma, I kid you not.

£1500 with 3yrs warranty!
Old 14-06-2007, 09:56 PM
dojj

the camera's still at work so these were on the phone

still waiting to see what sort oof bracket i need to get, been to curry's and they are £170 for the big hefty ones so unless someone tells me i can get them for less and same days for fitting on saturday, i'll be spunking money on that one as i can't find the one i bought from ebay last time around
Old 14-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Dannn

Originally Posted by Fagin
More bullshit in this thread than down the local farm!!!

Just bought one of the latest Samsung M87 range (46") 1080p LCD. To say I am impressed is an understatement. This is coming from a die hard Plasma fan. SD is as good as my plasma, whilst 1080p stuff is awesome. Blacks on this screen are AS good as a plasma, I kid you not.

£1500 with 3yrs warranty!
Out of interest what was your previous Plasma ?
Old 15-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Fagin

Panny Viera
Old 15-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Dannn

Originally Posted by Fagin
Panny Viera
Looks like I will have to piut the Samsung in my short list now!
Old 15-06-2007, 10:26 AM
stonehavencossie

Fagin

Glad your happy and good to see lcd's are competing with plasmas

i suffer from a lot of light directly into my living room and on to my screen during the day unless i constantly have my blinds closed, which aint ideal. cause of this i do get a fair bit of glare on my lg

im all up for buying an lcd next if the are better than plasmas. i still dont think its the case and the higer end of the market yet though and i do intend to spend quite a bit on my next set

At least you give reasons for why you like you lcd. The other chap was just claiming plasmas were totally inferior which we know isnt the case !!

i must add that preference between lcd and plasma really can come down to personal choice. One of my mates thought a crappy brand make of lcd (onyo or something, the picture was awful !!!) looked better than the brand new panny viera. He was way out but the bright colours of the lcd just appealed to him more than the subtlty of a the plasma
Old 15-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Fagin

stonehavencossie,

I have had a couple of Plasma's, still have two other LCD HD Ready screens (one in the bedroom and one in the office). I also have a 1080p widescreen monitor for the PC and recently bought a 720p Projector (which is awesome). I have now junked the plasma downstairs for the new Samsung 1080p LCD. I havent listed all this to say "hey look me me", but just to add some more levelling to my comments.

I WAS one of those that said previously LCD looks pants (unless fed with a HD signal) compared to Plasma, but this Samsung has totally changed my mind. You obviously have to play with the settings to get the best out of it, but for the money and the features it is one tough cookie imo. At the end of the day it is only my opinion, but if you look on AVFORUMS they seem to be raving about it.

They are certainly worth a look by anyone looking at a new screen.