General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TVR, would YOU own one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:15 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
my mates griff 500 is no faster than my cossie estate was in a straight line
Had a play with one of those in my wifes old Impreza turbo that was 270bhp,the TVR could just pull away on the straights

My bruv in laws Cerbera was just over 380 bhp on a fresh engine,lot more powerfull than the non TVR engined TVR's
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CosKev3
Originally Posted by foreigneRS
my mates griff 500 is no faster than my cossie estate was in a straight line
Had a play with one of those in my wifes old Impreza turbo that was 270bhp,the TVR could just pull away on the straights
my estate was about 300bhp and only 2wd

interestingly, i also had a play with a griffith (non 500) on the dual carriageway on the way back from the last PF meet and my impreza was faster
Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

You'll hear lots of bad and good stories, mostly bad ones from people who've not had one

I've had a chimaera 500 for two years, drove it daily and loved every minute of it
It only ever went on the back of a lorry due to the throttle assembly coming loose (a nut fell off). Other than that, it was 100% pure pleasure.

Might not be quicker than a cossie, so what ? I've never had a biker give me a thumbs up on the road in the cossie, in the TVR however

The power delivery is completely different too, 5L normally aspirated is not the same as a 2L turbo.

Being built by hand they are all different, the two I test drove felt completely different and I ended up buying the one I felt most comfortable one. The dealer told me it was one of the quickest he'd ever driven too

Servicing-wise, at the time I used to take the car to the dealership, pick up a 1L micra for the day and pay the bill, which was never cheap

Ultimately we decided to sell it because we had better things to do with the money being sunk into it... and bought a 2wd cossie

Insurance is likely to be high on your first year too, that usually drops the second year. Something to do with 75% of accidents in the first year involving no one other than the driver and some roadside furniture

If you can afford to have a go, do it, TVR ownership is something all petrol heads should try at least once. I'd love a sagaris or T350 if I could afford one
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Carlsworth
Former Sponsor

would have a tuscan in a flash....one of the best looking cars ever imo,
but as someone else said, if i had the money id swap the engine for a m5 or m6
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
timb551
Advanced PassionFord User

I'd have a tuscan all day long

they are pretty cheap these days and great cars, had two mates who had tuscans for a few years and never had anything that major go wrong with them.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I paid 17k for the M5, and I could have bought a nice Tuscan for the same price........I totally love them, if only they had a better (Read more reliable) engine in them.

The best looking sports car for the price bar-non. I'd have stuck a BMW E46 M3 lump in it, and I'm sure it would have been one of the most enjoyable and reliable sports cars there is. And I'm sure someone will do it in the near future.

Fantastic looking car, but I just didn't want the hassles of the engine design problems. Or the cost of an engine rebuild in the future. I needed something reliable, that I could be enthusiastic about, so the M5 got the vote. Very Close Call Though.

And before anyone says they're two totally different cars.......I KNOW... But where do you go after a 428bhp Cosworth.....there's not alot of options out there to choose from when you have a set budget.

17k will buy you a nice Tuscan though, just make sure it's had the engine upgrades done.

Ohhhhh......and a 4.5ltr (AJP Engined) Cerbera will certainly blow away a stage 3 spec Cosworth......I've driven both.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Jim Green
I paid 17k for the M5, and I could have bought a nice Tuscan for the same price........I totally love them, if only they had a better (Read more reliable) engine in them.

The best looking sports car for the price bar-non. I'd have stuck a BMW E46 M3 lump in it, and I'm sure it would have been one of the most enjoyable and reliable sports cars there is. And I'm sure someone will do it in the near future.

Fantastic looking car, but I just didn't want the hassles of the engine design problems. Or the cost of an engine rebuild in the future. I needed something reliable, that I could be enthusiastic about, so the M5 got the vote. Very Close Call Though.

And before anyone says they're two totally different cars.......I KNOW... But where do you go after a 428bhp Cosworth.....there's not alot of options out there to choose from when you have a set budget.

17k will buy you a nice Tuscan though, just make sure it's had the engine upgrades done.

Ohhhhh......and a 4.5ltr (AJP Engined) Cerbera will certainly blow away a stage 3 spec Cosworth......I've driven both.
the thing is if they had a better more reliable engine then they wouldn't be so cheap!

the reason they are affordable is the fact they are hand built and do (i'll admit) have some reliability problems, if they were built like porkers they would command second hand porker money

pound for pound show me another car that has the same performance and looks?

ForgienRS, i'm sorry m8 your car might be faster in a straight line, but its still an old Sierra estate!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

How are the prices looking with the future of the company being so unstable?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by RichardPON
How are the prices looking with the future of the company being so unstable?
They don't appear to have moved much in the last few months tbh
I would worry about spare parts like body panels though
Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Doh
ForgienRS, i'm sorry m8 your car might be faster in a straight line, but its still an old Sierra estate!
i wasn't trying to say my shitty old sierra was better in any way - just i was disappointed in the tvr. i would still far rather own a tvr than a shitty sierra estate