General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Penalty points on licence - how long are they on for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 AM
LeviA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penalty points on licence - how long are they on for?

Heard off my insurance company that they stay on for 4 years in their eyes, 3 years in the eyes of the Police... Is this right?

Had an SP50 in 10/03 and recently got an SP30 in February this year, so techinically does this mean I have only 3 points again?

Still shouldn't have got 3 points though!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Points are VALID for three years, have to stay on your licence for FOUR years (after which you can pay to have them removed). Most insurance companies ask for your history in the last FIVE years.....

Do NOT lie, as they have access to your records on computer and can easily check what you say and will invalidate your insurance to not declare correctly....
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

5 years for insurance 4 years for DVLA admin and 3 years that they acutally count towards the " totting up " procedure
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Deano
5 years for insurance 4 years for DVLA admin and 3 years that they acutally count towards the " totting up " procedure
Too slow .
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by Deano
Too slow .
Story of my life
Old 01-06-2007, 11:26 AM
LeviA

Ah right... the lass at the insurance company told me they look at it in insurance terms as 4 years for them. So I techinically have 3 in the eyes of the law... not great but not too bad least I'm not in the 6 point club
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Points are VALID for three years, have to stay on your licence for FOUR years (after which you can pay to have them removed). Most insurance companies ask for your history in the last FIVE years.....

Do NOT lie, as they have access to your records on computer and can easily check what you say and will invalidate your insurance to not declare correctly....
Completely correct!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Tony @ Greenlight

Spot on.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 AM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

But if points are not valid after 3 years how could an insurance company say they are valid for 5?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

cos insurance companies are robbing tw@ts who think they can try anything to put your premium up

im in the 6pts club for another year or 2 on my license

Sarah
Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
S2martin

I know that lol but if it did come on top how could you lose in court if the points are no longer valid after 3 years?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by S2martin
I know that lol but if it did come on top how could you lose in court if the points are no longer valid after 3 years?
if you had 9pts, which expired today say, theyd be on your license til next year, however if you got another 3pts in the meantime, although you would have 12pts on your license, only 9 of em are valid at that given time

so you wouldnt be banned, but you would have had 12pts over the 5yr period

hope that makes sense

Sarah
Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
S2martin

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
if you had 9pts, which expired today say, theyd be on your license til next year, however if you got another 3pts in the meantime, although you would have 12pts on your license, only 9 of em are valid at that given time

hope that makes sense

Sarah
No i know what you mean Sarah i'm just saying if say i didnt declare my points to my insurance company (i have none so no issue for me lol) as they were 3 years and 4 months old and i had a sausage and the insurance company refused to pay out how could they win if i took them to court? the points are no longer valid
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
focusbird

I think you'd risk your insurance being void if you hadn't declared something you were asked to declare when you took out the insurance - stupid, but I think that's the case.

I had 9 points at one stage, I've now got 6 that I still have to declare to my insurers for the next 18 months, even though they're over 3 years old.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

hope that makes sense

Sarah
No i know what you mean Sarah i'm just saying if say i didnt declare my points to my insurance company (i have none so no issue for me lol) as they were 3 years and 4 months old and i had a sausage and the insurance company refused to pay out how could they win if i took them to court? the points are no longer valid
because they asked you if you or anyone on the policy have had any claims, accidents or convictions in the past FIVE years
you telling them porkies gets you into a lot of shit
i changed the alloys on my saph and told the insurance company, in writing with the ad i cut out of the magazine
whensomeone trashed one of them they said, because i hadn't told them about the mods they were not going to honour the claim, even though it was the other guys fault for reversing into the side of my stationary car and were canceling the policy
they then started to send me shtty letters along the lines of 2you do realise it is against the law to drive a motor vehicle on the pubic roads without valid insurance" unles i paid up another Ł560 to cover the cost of adding the alloys to the policy

i politely told them to go fuck themselves and the guy put the phone down
i'd already sorted out another policy so they couldn't say i was illegally on the road and i even told themthat i was canceling my policy with admiral ebcause of their shitty attitude so they couldn't even say i had another policy under false pretences (the old one was in my name, the new one was in my dads name the car got "sold" to my dad so everything was above board

sneaky cunts, the bigger ones tend to be more sneaky than the smaller ones or brokers so i'm not tarring them all with the same brush
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

hope that makes sense

Sarah
You would 100% loose, as the points on your licence are a gauge of what sort of driver you are in their eyes, so the fact that you did not declare such a material fact would mean that you would possibly have had a slightly lower loading applied to your premium, but falsely so, which would mean that you have just made your insurance null and void. A bit like not declaring all the mods to your car, this would give a lower premium, but again, falsley so, as a more powerful car is a higher risk and therefore commands a higher premium.

And yes, I used to be involved in insurance, but in the offshore oil and gas industry through Lloyds .
Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
S2martin

Still seems too crafty to me

loose
And i think the word you wanted Mike was lose
Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
dojj

no, i think he meat loose, as you'd get properlay shafted
S2martin

M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hope that makes sense

Sarah
Because you failed to declare them, it's not about the points and whether they are still on your licence or not it's about declaring all information required by the insurance company.

Sausage? Rhyming slang or something?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
S2martin

Originally Posted by M7 COS

hope that makes sense

Sarah
Because you failed to declare them, it's not about the points and whether they are still on your licence or not it's about declaring all information required by the insurance company.

I'm not really talking about defrauding (spl?) the insurance company more a how comes if they are no longer valid after 3 years can an insurance company penalise you with a higher premium(spl?) for something that is no longer valid if that makes sense?
If the insurance company is so right about the 5 years why are the points only valid for 3 and not 5 years??

Yeah sorry, sausage and mash = crash
Old 04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hope that makes sense

Sarah

I'm not really talking about defrauding (spl?) the insurance company more a how comes if they are no longer valid after 3 years can an insurance company penalise you with a higher premium(spl?) for something that is no longer valid if that makes sense?
If the insurance company is so right about the 5 years why are the points only valid for 3 and not 5 years??

It's all about gauging how much of a risk you are, even if the points are no longer on your licence you've still got a history of driving in a more risky manner.

I think you have to declare drink driving convictions for ten years!

There is an argument though that those drivers with 9 points are now amongst the most careful in the country as they're so worried about losing their licences!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

hope that makes sense

Sarah

Same reason they ask for your crash history for the last five years, PURELY so they can build up a reasonably accurate risk assessment.

Surely you can see that someone who has a clean five year history is a better risk than someone with an "own fault" crash and several points (even if they are "lapsed") in that period? Now-a-days, you're often not even subject to any additional loading, as in the current climate, it is EXPECTED that you have "camera" points, but all the information is required to accurately assess what kind of risk you present . Given that they can access your driving records, but probably wouldn't do so until the event of a claim, it's not worth reducing your premium by just a few pounds only to have your claim thrown out for withholding facts specifically asked for at the policy inception!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
dojj

for every mph you are over the limit you should get banned for a day
then, once it's over with, you can drive again and not have to tell anyone else about it

iknow it will be impossible to police but it would be the fariest way to do stuff
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 PM
S2martin

hope that makes sense

Sarah

Same reason they ask for your crash history for the last five years, PURELY so they can build up a reasonably accurate risk assessment.

Surely you can see that someone who has a clean five year history is a better risk than someone with an "own fault" crash and several points (even if they are "lapsed") in that period? Now-a-days, you're often not even subject to any additional loading, as in the current climate, it is EXPECTED that you have "camera" points, but all the information is required to accurately assess what kind of risk you present . Given that they can access your driving records, but probably wouldn't do so until the event of a claim, it's not worth reducing your premium by just a few pounds only to have your claim thrown out for withholding facts specifically asked for at the policy inception!
Yes your points make perfect sense but they do also load up for non fault crashes as my brothers insurance went up when an old boy smashed his new car in yet he is one of them drivers who must do the speed limit no matter what yet he is tarnished with a claim on his file even though he wasnt to blame...

Edited as it was an admission of breaking the law

So according(spl?) to the insurance company i am a better safer driver who is not as great a risk as i have no points or claims but my brother came out of waitrose to see a smashed up car and he is dangerous?

Cool
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 PM
S2martin

oh damn forgot the
Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I hope after your admission that you're a "compulsive risk taker" that you're not insured with Greenlight, as they might want to reassess their risk .
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
dojj

the answer is "yes"

it's the same as creidt cards companies who won't give you a credit crd ebcause you have no cretid history or you've made all your payments on time and have never defaulted or anything

silly bumblers
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
S2martin

I hope after your admission that you're a "compulsive risk taker" that you're not insured with Greenlight, as they might want to reassess their risk .
Ok i've lost the will to argue and now i'm resorting to petty insults.....

Mike, You stink of poo!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Tony @ Greenlight

Old 04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Tony @ Greenlight

cos insurance companies are robbing tw@ts who think they can try anything to put your premium up

im in the 6pts club for another year or 2 on my license

Sarah

Not this one Sarah,

Greenlight's specialist schemes do not and have not loaded for fixed penalty speeding offences since 1996.

If you're getting harsh treatment due to some speeding offences, dont just put up with it - look around at renewal, we'd be happy to help.

You can reach us at www.greenlightinsurance.com

The reason Brokers/Insurers gather data for 5 years is that some mainstream Insurers do take these into account for up to 5 years when applying for cover.

Greenlight's specialist schemes dont load for these convictions, but we do capture data for up to 5 years in case by some miracle an everyday "open market" Insurer quotes a competitive rate for you for a hot hatch or where we need to source mirrored NCB cover for a 2nd car.

Kind regards (& apologies for the shameless publicity )

Tony