General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Drink Driving

Search this Thread

Old 29-05-2007, 12:39 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Drink Driving

What are you views on this.

Personally i think there should be a zero tolorance on it. Absolutely no alcohol allowed.

I think people are more likely to drink and drive if they can have a pint, they get a taste for it and so have another and feel ok after 2 - 3 pints so drive home as they don't want to leave their car and can't justify getting a cab.

I used to pop to the pub after work, I would have a pint and feel like having a few then, but would keep my head and switch to a pop, mates would sit and have 3 or 4 pints

I'm not saying everyone gluggs down 3-4 pints knowing that they have to drive, but bet plenty do!
Old 29-05-2007, 12:41 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm out and I know I'll be driving, I don't drink at all, not even one.

However I think a lot of the problem is people driving the morning after a night out and still being over the limit, which I have to admit I have probably done in the past
Old 29-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Katie

I'm not so bothered about zero tolerance...but I think the punishments for it are far too leniant.
Old 29-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Phil79
Banned

Cock, how can you have zero tolerance?

You been out the night before, on a large one, wake up at 11am ish, go out in the car about 1pmish, bet there is still alcohol in your blood

I have a couple of shandy's and drive, don't see the problem
Old 29-05-2007, 12:48 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil79

You been out the night before, on a large one, wake up at 11am ish, go out in the car about 1pmish, bet there is still alcohol in your blood
its a valid point, it may take 2-3 days for all the alcohol to leave your system. zero tolerance would be very difficult to enforce.

its amazing how many people out there cant get a away with having 1 pint, they would fail.

i just dont drive to the pub, ever if i can avoid it, removes all the temptation. thats why its called a local, cos its local

Old 29-05-2007, 12:48 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think that zero tolerance would work. i'll have a pint i'f i'm driving. if i have more than one after work i ditch the car..
Old 29-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We were at Rosie's Cousins 13th Birthday party the other day and this Chavvy Wanker came up to the window, pulled a stupid face, fell over, then went and got in his RS2000 and drove off with 3 of his mates in there. This was at 10.30 just as the party had finished and all the kids were leaving.

I'm not a violent person, but I would have laid him out there and then if I'd had the chance.

Trending Topics

Old 29-05-2007, 01:27 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Default Re: Drink Driving

Originally Posted by matts1
What are you views on this.

Personally i think there should be a zero tolorance on it. Absolutely no alcohol allowed...
Then ripe fruit makes you lose your licence, breath fresheners and mouthwash make you lose your licence, etc. etc. etc.
Old 29-05-2007, 02:06 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

"it may take 2-3 days for all the alcohol to leave your system"

I didn't think of that supose it would be impssible to enforce really.
Old 29-05-2007, 02:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the only way to do it is to lower the limit
that way you might be able to get away with the day after if you've had a few, but you wouldn't risk it if you've been on a right proper bender the night before

also, birching is a good way to prevent peole from drink driving, round them up, put them in the square and sell tickets to watch the gits getting a flogging till their arses and back are properly welted up

and if the human rights protestors start? birch them fuckers too
Old 29-05-2007, 02:34 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and if the human rights protestors start? birch them fuckers to
Old 29-05-2007, 02:57 PM
dojj

and why not

what about the rights of the peole who could be injured/maimed/killed by the drunk?
what about their rights?
and the rights of their families?
and the rights of the peope who would have to clear them upafterwards?
the hospital staff who have to deal with it?
the coppers on the scene?
the fire man who has to pull the remains out?
if you break the law you forfiete your right to be treated on a level with other non law breaking people
but, once your sentance is up, you are free to go, providing that the sentance is the proper one in the firs tplace, not a slap on the wrist for being a kiddy fiddler or comunity service for robbing banks with machettes and shit
Old 29-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Disagree. I think its ok as it is......just make punishment more severe..but thats the case in all subjects lately...folk getting off to light.

If you had zero tolerance people could get banned from driving for have a chocolate liquer it would be that silly.....
Old 29-05-2007, 03:58 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

nothing wrong with it at the moment...........its the people that are "drink drivers".......not the one that has a pint on the way home from work....
Old 29-05-2007, 04:19 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

the thing is, the limit is different for every person as every person's anatomy is different. I know that I could get tipsy after say 1-2 pints quite easily and even though I may sound like a lightweight, still, I never drink anything alcoholic if I know I have to drive. simple as. for any given person 1 pint might be enough to affect them or 2 for that matter. Everyone's body has a different response to a set amount of alcohol. I know people who can have 3-4 units of whiskey and it would be lyk tap water to them. I know if I had that I'd be flying
Old 29-05-2007, 05:14 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

2 of my friends (well, people i knew) died last weekend, the driver was pissed up, and the only one wearing a seatbelt.

he hit a tree, killed himself, and the front passenger, matt. matts identical twin brother was in the back, but survived with minor injuries. so did the other rear passenger. you can imagine how he feels, after he saw his twin dead with a broken neck and his head split open. the driver, dean, ended up being crushed between the steering wheel and his seat, thanks to his best mate behind him who wasnt wearing his belt.

two young lives lost because the driver was pissed. what a waste.

thats what i think to drink driving...
Old 29-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy

I'm not a violent person, but I would have laid him out there and then if I'd had the chance.
What stopped you...
Old 29-05-2007, 05:33 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk

What stopped you...
Probably a female. Females always stop you lamping people.
Old 29-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Beccy wasnt about to do it instead??
Old 29-05-2007, 06:32 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by andre_k
2 of my friends (well, people i knew) died last weekend, the driver was pissed up, and the only one wearing a seatbelt.

he hit a tree, killed himself, and the front passenger, matt. matts identical twin brother was in the back, but survived with minor injuries. so did the other rear passenger. you can imagine how he feels, after he saw his twin dead with a broken neck and his head split open. the driver, dean, ended up being crushed between the steering wheel and his seat, thanks to his best mate behind him who wasnt wearing his belt.

Old 29-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I think people are more likely to drink and drive if they can have a pint, they get a taste for it and so have another and feel ok after 2 - 3 pints so drive home as they don't want to leave their car and can't justify getting a cab.
I think thats a bunch of shit - every week I go out with my mates on a Friday, and I drive (live too far away now to get cabs and public transport is a joke!)

I only EVER have a max of one pint, and if I haven't eaten within a reasonable time, I don't even have that one....

Sure there are some that will do it, but those are the ones that would drink drive anyway - I don't know anyone that knows they can only have one cos they are driving, but then "get a taste for it" and chugg a couple more!

I don't see the problem UNLESS it impairs you in the slightest way. I weigh best part of 15stone, so I KNOW (for fact) that one pint of sensible strength (ie, piss water Fosters ) will not affect my driving or concentration at all. Secondly to that, I drink my pint at the beginning of the night, then have cokes for the next three hours, pissing in between so by the time I leave, most of the beer has gone anyway....

I know everyone says alcohol stays in your system for 12hrs, but I don't drink enough actual alcohol to even register in my blood!
Old 29-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by andre_k

whilst I sympathise mate (2 of my friends were killed in an accident cos the driver of the car they were in was out of his nut on drugs a few years ago) I noticed you said the rear passengers were not wearing seatbelts. NO ONE gets in the back of a car I am driving without a seatbelt. There is a SLIGHT possibility the driver of the car, and the front passenger, might have survived if the rear passengers were belted up....

Either way Still tragic loss of life
Old 29-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I think thats a bunch of shit - every week I go out with my mates on a Friday, and I drive (live too far away now to get cabs and public transport is a joke!)

I only EVER have a max of one pint, and if I haven't eaten within a reasonable time, I don't even have that one....

Sure there are some that will do it, but those are the ones that would drink drive anyway - I don't know anyone that knows they can only have one cos they are driving, but then "get a taste for it" and chugg a couple more!

I don't see the problem UNLESS it impairs you in the slightest way. I weigh best part of 15stone, so I KNOW (for fact) that one pint of sensible strength (ie, piss water Fosters ) will not affect my driving or concentration at all. Secondly to that, I drink my pint at the beginning of the night, then have cokes for the next three hours, pissing in between so by the time I leave, most of the beer has gone anyway....

I know everyone says alcohol stays in your system for 12hrs, but I don't drink enough actual alcohol to even register in my blood!
agreed. Sometimes we call on the way home on friday and slip one pint down...doesnt affect my driving and certainley doesnt make me any worse then some old fart whos mind is on his Dafs and his Dalias down the allotment rather than on the road
Old 29-05-2007, 07:53 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

when im out ill have either 1 bottle or 1 pint
i have never had more than 1 when driving

why dont they help out the drivers with decent drink prices
you can get a pint cheaper than coke at some places
Old 29-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk

What stopped you...
By the time I knew he was going to drive, he was driving, funnily enough!!
Old 29-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

cant see what the problem is....

legal limit of 6 pints of Stella is more than sufficient..

Im joking by the way.. I dont condone drink driving.. it is VERY common tho.. A mate was caught.. he was banned.. he still drove on a ban and drank.. 3 years ban this time with hefty fine. Fortunately, he's grown up a bit now and regrets it. Live and learn.
Old 29-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

I usually have a pint, but no more as me and the missus like going for a drive somewhere and have a quick drink and head back.

If I wanna get slaughtered, I get a taxi and make sure I'm off the next day
Old 29-05-2007, 08:50 PM
dojj

you get caught drink driving and the car gets crushed
end of
if it's not yours?
tought shit
what do you mean "is that it?" you'll also get thrown in clink for 5 years just to make sure that it sinks in
and you don't get your license back
ever
end of
drive again and it's another 5 years inside and another car crushing
Old 29-05-2007, 09:35 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

"zero tolerance" in the sense that the limit is well less than one unit of alcohol is perfectly workable - been doing it in scandinavia for years. (*Edit* for information - sweden/norway have a limit 25% of ours, some eastern block countries, Czech rep, Hungary, Estonia, are ACTUALLY ZERO)
If everyone knows that "just one drink" will be too much, the problem is pretty much removed. Most of the problem at the moment is people with the misguided opinion that they can have 1/2/3 and it has "no effect" on them, if it was certain that one would be too many then no-one would need to even think about it.
You will of course always get the nobheads who take no notice and still think they are invincible
Old 29-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil79
Cock, how can you have zero tolerance?

I have a couple of shandy's and drive, don't see the problem

Fancy calling him names for having a perfectly valid and decent opinion. Touch a nerve by any chance did he?

Originally Posted by richm
"zero tolerance" in the sense that the limit is well less than one unit of alcohol is perfectly workable - been doing it in scandinavia for years.
If everyone knows that "just one drink" will be too much, the problem is pretty much removed. Most of the problem at the moment is people with the misguided opinion that they can have 1/2/3 and it has "no effect" on them, if it was certain that one would be too many then no-one would need to even think about it.
You will of course always get the nobheads who take no notice and still think they are invincible
Thats better... A decent well structured reply...
Old 29-05-2007, 10:02 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought that Stu, was abit strong
Old 30-05-2007, 07:28 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad when any drink drivers kill themselves, it makes the roads a much safer place, if this offends then tough, the truth often hurts.
I just think the law should make the landlord more responsible as they serve people well after they(landlord) know they must be over the limit, but profit is profit.
It is an absolute digrace the way people act after getting pissed every fri/sat night in town centres, the cost of this trouble is immense, not just from drink drivers.
I myself was hit by a hit and run drink driver in 83 spent 19 months in hospital the first three in a coma, had 47 fractures, including brain damage, I don't like alcohol but have mates that do,m butb they are sensible about it, as they KNOW I will dob them if not.
The main problem is there are not enough police to enforce any legislation of any sort, but I beleive pub landlords/staff have a lot to answer for.
tabetha
Old 30-05-2007, 07:36 AM
focusbird
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by JxBabe
If I'm out and I know I'll be driving, I don't drink at all, not even one.
I don't either, cos I know I'll get the taste for it and want another, and another, so it's safer just not to have one at all.
Old 30-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother is currently banned for drink driving and i have no sympathy for him....His car is currently stuffed in the garage and has been there since his ban started...He has only just got a job in the last few weeks... After he got sacked from his old job as he needed a licence for work (drove transits etc etc) That was October and he didn't have a job from then till 3 weeks ago. He just wasn't interested and just hang around the house all day selling junk on the bay.... Pissed me right off as he trashed the place all the time!

He blew 68 and was banned for 18months. He was given the choice of having it reduced by attending an alcohol course at our local school for 6 Sundays... It cut his ban by 7months... BUT the course was supposed to give you an eye opener about how alcohol effects you and your body... Thing is now he hasn't got a valid driving licence he's pissed 3times more than he usually is as he hasn't got to drive anywhere..... I don't see how it has helped him in the slightest!

When he gets his licence back on August 11th his DD ban will be on his licence for 10 years. He has already looked at insurance for his fiesta and it's gone up 600%

All for a few drinks. What a loser!
Old 30-05-2007, 07:59 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I was thinking last night, is driving tired just as bad as drink driving? In both cases you can lose your awareness and your reactions slow down, but driving tired you can also fall asleep.

I remember once, my dad lives next to a sharp bend, and one day this woman in a black Saff just went straight over the bend, through the little cobble car park thing in front of his house and then the car smashed through two thick stone bollards and eventually settled with the nose wrapped round a tree.

There was a baby in the front passenger seat.

Luckily they were both unhurt but it could have been so much worse.

On the subject of drink driving, I think taking a license away forever would be way too harsh. There are people out there that make a genuine mistake. I think the limit for most people is two pints isn;t it? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as someone said above; the limit is different for everyone's body. One guy might be fine while another will drink to what he genuinely believes is the legal limit and will get pulled and then be told he's over the limit.

That person has made a mistake, admittedly a pretty serious one, but still an innocent mistake. It's all very well to start demanding this gets done or that gets done, but it also has to be practical and fair. That's just the way it is.
Old 30-05-2007, 08:10 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I generally will have one or 2 pints, usually with a top on them when I'm driving. There would be mass hysteria if I walked in a pub and ordered a coke

As for driving when hammered, I certainly do not reccommend it, further more in an RS of any form, and certainly not when having a blazing row with your mrs
Old 30-05-2007, 08:20 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A mate of mine went on a day trip with his misse and another couple. Driving back he fell asleep and rear shunted an artic lorry

He woke up to seee nothing but bonnet, still moving, managed to control it, but it could have been alot worse

He was in a 4x4, and the lorry driver said to him on the quiet that he felt the shunt and that my mate must have been doing a far old speed
Old 30-05-2007, 08:29 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont feel the need to have a drink if i take the car somewhere!
Old 30-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As far as Im concerned they could ban all alcohol full stop!
It would certainly reduce crime, mindless vandalism, trouble in city centres, harrassment, rape, violence, drink driving, hospital casualty overcrowding, etc etc.

If the government couldnt make money off it it would of been banned years ago just like drugs.

I hate the fucking stuff, all it seems to bring in the majority is trouble and problems
Old 30-05-2007, 10:24 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Martyn

the so people who drink responsibly (not me ) get punished for those who dont (me )

Quick Reply: Drink Driving