General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Drink Driving

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to work it carefully, as obviously its not ALL drinkers that cause the problems.

And yes, I know it also made me sound very old and boring

I agree that alot of fun and good times comes via drink, but people too often forget the sadness and problems it can bring to alot of others
Old 30-05-2007, 10:32 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree mate,, there is alot of people who shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a drink! but banning it isnt the answer!

ive had some cracking nights being drunk!
Old 30-05-2007, 10:33 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

ps you old fart
Old 30-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Maybe Im biased due to the problems it has bought to people in my family...

Regarding the comment on page 1 about driving the next day and getting stopped, I know someone who did exactly that.
Had a few (literally 2 or 3 pints) on a Friday night, went driving Saturday afternoon, got stopped randomly and was over the limit and got banned!
On the rare occasion that I do drink, I wont touch my car for 48 hours, my licence means ALOT more to me than any pint of beer EVER would!
Old 30-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Phil79
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Originally Posted by Phil79
Cock, how can you have zero tolerance?

You been out the night before, on a large one, wake up at 11am ish, go out in the car about 1pmish, bet there is still alcohol in your blood

I have a couple of shandy's and drive, don't see the problem

Fancy calling him names for having a perfectly valid and decent opinion. Touch a nerve by any chance did he?

Originally Posted by richm
"zero tolerance" in the sense that the limit is well less than one unit of alcohol is perfectly workable - been doing it in scandinavia for years.
If everyone knows that "just one drink" will be too much, the problem is pretty much removed. Most of the problem at the moment is people with the misguided opinion that they can have 1/2/3 and it has "no effect" on them, if it was certain that one would be too many then no-one would need to even think about it.
You will of course always get the nobheads who take no notice and still think they are invincible
Thats better... A decent well structured reply...
Apologies, I was rushing my post

It's not touched a nerve in the slightest. I mean, if people want to drink drive, then that is their choice. If they get caught then they face the punishment. However, I do think that zero tolerance would not work, at all. It's just too much of a "limiter" so to speak. Personally, i don't think it would change anything.

Like I said, I have a few shandies. That equates to either 1 or 1.5 pints........ same as everyone else. I just can't stand being at the pub without a drink, lol, and I hate the taste of coke
Old 30-05-2007, 11:34 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Dropping the limit to 0 wouldn't be practical as said above, but in my opinion, one of the good things about the UK is that drinking and driving is properly anti-social and frowned upon by most.

Look elsewhere and you'll find it isn't the case and that is a massive problem.

However, the UK needs to come to terms with its drinking issues, the number of times I hear "I can't have fun cos I can't get pissed - I am driving" drives me (no pun intended) nuts.

Why oh why does most of the country need to get plastered at every possible opportunity is beyond me
Old 30-05-2007, 11:35 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by frog
Dropping the limit to 0 wouldn't be practical as said above, but in my opinion, one of the good things about the UK is that drinking and driving is properly anti-social and frowned upon by most.
i guess you dont like in the country then,,,, as everyone in small vollages drink drive! im not joking! crazy!
Old 30-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Phil79
Banned

Why oh why does most of the country need to get plastered at every possible opportunity is beyond me
We are british, it's what we do best
Old 30-05-2007, 11:46 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by GARETH T
i guess you dont like in the country then,,,, as everyone in small vollages drink drive! im not joking! crazy!
I don't no, same applies to the "older" generations I guess. But there is more of an awareness and "I am driving so I won't drink" attitude in the UK though
Old 30-05-2007, 11:48 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Phil79
We are british, it's what we do best
Something to be proud of eh
Old 30-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

sorry but drinking 2 pints aint as dangerous as driving when tired or even when ill

how many of you have drove to the doctors when real ill and then drove to work to hand in a sick note

or even driven with a broken toe/wrist/arm ect

drink driving is NOT having 2 beers then going home,,, drink driving is having a few hours in the pub then driving home

infact i think learner drivers are MORE of a risk than me driving when ive had 2 stellas

i know I can control a car better than i could when i learned how to drive

ive driven when ill and got a tug by a copper who made me think about it,,, now i was real bad than i got sent home from work,,, he said that i shouldnt be driving and told me to get home and get some sleep as im just as much a danger as a drink driver

think about the reality of what your saying

infact i think im a BIGGER danger when im sober "playing" with my mates or late for a meeting ect than when im on my way home after 10pm having just drank 4 pints of half stella, half bitburger"drive"

driving when tired is a SHITE load more dangerous and tbh,, ive had to pull over a fewtimes ue to falling a sleep at the wheel on motorways and finding the headrest real comfortable and wanting to rest my head there for some reason

we ALL make mistakes and some of em aint even illegal but we know we do it

i personally think the fine for minor drink driving offences too high,, for having 3 beers you can loose your job ect the same way as having 10 beers

but you can mug a person/ stab a person below the waist and get a suspened sentance

sorry but drink driving for minor cases is too hash compared to what real criminal professionals get n
Old 31-05-2007, 08:45 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and the point is what Ginge? Yes, both are bad, it doesn't make driving with 2 pints "good" does it..