General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tv aerial splicing

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2007, 11:49 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tv aerial splicing

The aerial we have goes from the roof down to the lounge, as per norm. The aerial has loads of excess in the house so we can move the tv around no probs. The bedroom tv is crappo indoor aerial however. I would like to splice into the aerial near the bedroom and add a branch so we can have tv with better reception.
Any aerial people here with advice.

Can't find anything on the net ref splicing/ connecting (keeps going to places like maplin with leads and ends etc, not a physical 'this is how')
Old 23-05-2007, 12:00 PM
richj
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get a simple Y co-axial connector. Incomming cable into one end a the two outgoing into the other end, simple as that, the connector should only cost a few quid.

However if you splice the signal in two you also loose strenght in the signal, so if you were willing to spend a few quid more you can get a booster/splitter unit (you can buy them in argos not that expensive) this unit allows you to split and amplify the signal for up to 5 or 6 ways.
You need power for this unit so you'll need to have it close to a socket.

Hope this helps.

If I get a chance I'll draw a diagram and PM it to you .
Old 23-05-2007, 12:02 PM
PastyKing
Advanced PassionFord User

rs shawn
exactly the same as my house so all i done was
got a Y connector in the lounge where the main aerial is and got an extention lead and put that up the stairs into the bedroom!
used the litttle clips to clip it in neatly. beats any messing about
Old 23-05-2007, 12:26 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers.
I already have a booster plugged in upstairs but signal still isn't brilliant. I did think about running a cable back upstairs but thought it would be look untidy from the outside plus wasn't sure on price of a 6m cable (for example) as opposed to a connector and 2m cable if I spliced in next to the bedroom window.

I think I may go for the Y connector (which I also have already: I live in two places with work and have doubles and extras of loads of stuff, tv, video, stereo, PS2's, stereo and tv cabling ) then run a cable upstairs.

Thanx for your advice.
Old 23-05-2007, 12:35 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

I can do you a proper spliter waterproof for in or outdoor as used in the trade £15 inc p+p recorded
paypal bettylaunder@hotmail.com if you want one and pm to say you paid it is one in two out with no noticable lost can be sent tomo