General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

These VOSA vans and 4x4's, what are their powers?

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2007 | 08:11 AM
LeviA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default These VOSA vans and 4x4's, what are their powers?

I pass loads of these VOSA Nissan Patrols etc and everyone slows right down on motorways if they see one. Can they do anything if you were speeding, not wearing a seatbelt etc etc?

I thought they could only pull wagons over and test for red diesel etc, anyone shed any light on it?
Old 17-05-2007 | 08:58 AM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

im sure they cant do you for things like that but they can check your car for safety or faulty infrigments
Old 17-05-2007 | 09:01 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

they cant do shit, same as the "highway patrol" vehicles that also look like cops and make the motorway slow down as hundreds of dickheads panic and slow down when they spot em.

if anything i speed up past em, as you often got room as the rest of the motorway has panicked and got out the outside lane
Old 17-05-2007 | 09:06 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

just overtake the fuckers
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:24 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

not for long....

they are soon going to have similar powers to the traffic cops...
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:33 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by AlexF
not for long....

well, like when i see local panda cars and meat wagons on the motorway, ill again just put my foot down, as they not fast enough to actually catch you
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:38 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by Stavros
not for long....

well, like when i see local panda cars and meat wagons on the motorway, ill again just put my foot down, as they not fast enough to actually catch you
no but they are fast enough to radio up ahead to another car to pull you in
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:38 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL!

and if they have a camera?

Old 17-05-2007 | 10:40 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by CossieRich
not for long....

no but they are fast enough to radio up ahead to another car to pull you in
I drive on the motorway approx 100miles every day and I see 1 copper a week on the motorway at best, im not hugely worried about coppers a bit further ahead waiting for me
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:47 AM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the trouble is they dont have to give chase now they take you number plate find out were you live and wait till you come back they had my mate
like that
Old 17-05-2007 | 10:57 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by tregmatt
the trouble is they dont have to give chase now they take you number plate find out were you live and wait till you come back they had my mate
like that
if you dont admit to anything, they cant do you, trust me. they TRY and get you done, they try n make out you fooked so you incriminate yourself, but if you play dumb and make out you dont know what they on about, they cant do owt.

even if you go totally out of sight and then pull you later, you can get away with it.
Old 17-05-2007 | 11:35 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you are broken down at the side of the road and they come along and the car you are driving isnt insured / taxed / MOT'd / Road worthy / dodgy tyres etc.... please delete as applicable.

They can impound the car in the same way that DVLA can now have your car impounded if its on the road without tax.

Although they aint the police, they do have some power, like the power to take your car off you there and then

Which is rather naughty as there have been no advertisments on the TV, in the press etc explaining their role to the public.

Its all a bit wrong really...
Old 17-05-2007 | 01:39 PM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

so much crap on here..

highways agency= nobodys

vosa now in most regions have the power of stop to check veichle, also have power to impound your car...

neither can do you or report you for speeding etc etc
Old 17-05-2007 | 03:36 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Section 5: The special powers of a traffic officer

25. Section 5 sets out restrictions and limitations on the exercise of traffic officers' constabulary-type powers, referred to as "special powers". Those special powers are the power to stop and direct traffic, power to place temporary traffic signs, and any other constabulary-type power which they may be given by legislation.
26. These powers may only be used to assist traffic movement, avoid danger to persons or traffic or prevent damage to the road or anything on or near the road or for incidental purposes.
27. Traffic officers would be able to use their special powers on roads within their jurisdiction. They would also be able to use their special powers on any other roads in England and Wales provided they were acting under the direction of the police for the area in which the road is situated or with the consent of the traffic authority for the road.
28. In practice, this means, for example, that although traffic officers' jurisdiction is to be on the national authority's roads, where an accident on such a road results in significant impact on traffic elsewhere, or where advance warnings need to be in place quickly on approach roads to warn traffic of problems on the national authority's road, traffic officers might be asked to operate temporarily on a local road at the direction of the police, or with agreement of the local highway authority. It is anticipated that operating protocols will be agreed in advance with the local highway authorities and police. A similar approach applies at the border between England and Wales.
Section 6: Powers to stop or direct traffic
29. Section 6 provides for traffic officers to have similar powers to those held by the police under the Road Traffic Act 1988 ("RTA") to require vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians to stop and to require vehicles and cyclists to proceed in a particular direction.
30. The section 35 RTA offences (failure of drivers or cyclists to stop or proceed as directed) carry a maximum fine of level 3 on the standard scale (Ł1,000) and in certain cases endorsement and possibly disqualification. The offences are also fixed penalty offences carrying fines of up to Ł60.
31. The section 37 RTA offence (failure of pedestrians to stop when directed) carries a maximum fine of level 3 on the standard scale (Ł1,000).
32. The section 163 RTA offence (failure of drivers or cyclists to stop when directed) carries a maximum fine of level 3 on the standard scale (Ł1,000). The offence is also a fixed penalty offence carrying a fine of Ł30.

Section 7: Powers to place temporary traffic signs
33. Section 7 provides for traffic officers to have a similar power to a police constable to place and maintain traffic signs on the highway. The signs may be used to indicate prohibitions, restrictions or requirements relating to traffic to deal with congestion or obstruction of traffic or danger to or from traffic. Such signage may be placed for a period of up to seven days.
34. The effect of subsection (2) is that section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 applies to any traffic signs so placed by traffic officers. Section 36 makes it an offence not to comply with traffic signs to which it applies.

35. Breach of section 36 carries a maximum fine of level 3 on the standard scale (Ł1,000). In addition, for breach of certain signs (e.g. stop signs) endorsement is obligatory and disqualification is discretionary. Breach is also a fixed penalty offence with fines of up to Ł60
Old 18-05-2007 | 12:44 PM
thecrust

So they can pull you over (requesting you to stop) but the only thing they can do after that is tell you in which direction to drive off again, or presumably ask for your help to put up a roadsign?
Old 18-05-2007 | 01:09 PM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

that is traffic officers.. not VOSA
Old 18-05-2007 | 01:23 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

had one of the VOSA inspectors round my house yesterday - jumped up little twat.
Old 18-05-2007 | 03:31 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

not for long....

you got that right... some of our local cops have got 3 CYLINDER CORSA'S!!! as patrol cars i couldn't imagine anything slower!

whats the point!!