General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone on here in the Army?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 AM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on here in the Army?

I am seriously considering joining up because all my last jobs have been shit jobs with shit pay and no prospects.

I want a career that will match my willingness to learn and better myself.

If I do sign up im going to go for the REME because I have NVQ's in Mechanics already and half decent GCSE results plus I love working on cars / vans / bikes etc.

I have tried getting jobs in civvy street as a Mechanic but no were round here is taking on, the 1 place I did get taken on gave me a trial run of 1 week then 5 weeks later he still wouldnt tell me if I had the job or not so I left.

Anyone who is in the Army or has been in the Army please post serious replys stating BOTH Pro's and Cons of Army life.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Pro's - Good money to a degree (you won't spend it too much if you're away from home), career prospects are second to none, life is good.

Cons - have to be fit as a fiddle, work stupid hours if needs be, no overtime, orders etc.

I'm not in BTW
Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuck the Army mate, you get shot at

Seriously, If you are interested in mechanics, join the RAF as an aircraft engineer, I'm on 26K a year, and I have a very easy life you get treated 1000 times better in the RAF than the army, IMHO is a much more respected job when you come out to civvy street, and civil aviation is very very good ŁŁŁŁ if you continue into that area when you come out

Get lots of travel if you want it , and get to work with a top bunch of lads and have a right laugh
Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
turbo terry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

whats the oldest you can be to go in the RAF? i'm a welder but would lvoe to learn more in engineering, whats the money like when you are training?? Away from home long periods of timeetc??
Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

36 for ground trades I think, Training money is okish, but goes up rapidly once you are done. Being away all depends on where you get posted.... But most places can accomodate if you want to go away or not
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

I'd say choose the Army over the RAF, but then I'm biased. My other half has been in the Army for 10 years, and he's not planning on leaving anytime soon so it can't be that bad! Prospects good, job for life if you don't fuck up, decent pay, fairly quick promotion compared to civvy jobs. Lots more opportunities as well, and you get to travel too
I'd join if I wasn't such a girl!
I won't go into the cons, I don't know enough about it! Will ask the fella.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Oh, and you're sure to make the best mates you'll ever have!

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2007, 04:33 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The army and raf are two totally different kinds of people, the raf do treat theirs better, but job is different.
Army tends to have a VERY high divorce rate, and they tend to be deployed a lot more.
The comradeship you get from either army navy raf etc cannot be equaled in civvy street.
Whatever you choose take your time to make the right decision, ask freinds etc who may be in it.
Oh and good luck, and respect to you and all of HM forces.
tabetha
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the RAF, Been in 6 years and I have friends in the Navy and Army (CliffS1 and B9KOS Off here too!) I'd say the RAF has the easy life.. But at the moment im going through a shit time with my trade as there killing it off, So in 3 years time, Which imo, isnt a long time.. Im jobless!
So im looking at coming out, either then.. or putting in my paper work and fucking off in 6 months

Not to sure what its like in other trades, I hear good things... but im at the point where I've done my time and im fed up!

The Army, Has better promotion, and you sign up for 3 years at a time iirc (not to sure on that?) You go away more, and the money is better than the RAF.

not to sure on the Navy
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks to everyone that has replied it has given me more of an insight into "Life in the Forces".

Im thinking about joining even more so now, the main reason is because of the job satisfaction (money isnt everything).

Cheers everyone
Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the airforce too. Been in 12 years this month. (Fook..that's flown by ..er..no pun intended btw ). I'd also agree that the RAF get treat better in some ways...but maybe that's the nature of the job. The army is an aggressive job as you can be literally fighting for your life whereas the RAF isn't always like that. We do go to these areas but are generally not right on the front-line as much as the army. You will get promoted quicker in the army as they have more ranks than other services, but all 3 are in a bit of a decline at the minute: job cuts due to defence cuts mean all 3 branches are short of manpower and are stretched more now than ever before due to our leaders wanting us to fight everyone. There's a distinct lack of places to work now compared to 10 years ago and the services are combining massively in joint operations. RAF on boats (sorry..ships )with the Navy, Navy coming inland and working on Harrier camps, RAF in the fields with the Army on helicopter ops..that sort of thing. The govt are combining all three to make it a Tri-Service Joint Force all working together doing the same jobs as opposed to keeping some individuality.

If it's what you want then go for it. Personally I wouldsn't go for the Arny as you are guaranteed front-line action soon after finishing your training and I think that's a scary thought as it is never mind with little training.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:47 PM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by rs shawn
I'm in the airforce too. Been in 12 years this month. (Fook..that's flown by ..er..no pun intended btw ). I'd also agree that the RAF get treat better in some ways...but maybe that's the nature of the job. The army is an aggressive job as you can be literally fighting for your life whereas the RAF isn't always like that. We do go to these areas but are generally not right on the front-line as much as the army. You will get promoted quicker in the army as they have more ranks than other services, but all 3 are in a bit of a decline at the minute: job cuts due to defence cuts mean all 3 branches are short of manpower and are stretched more now than ever before due to our leaders wanting us to fight everyone. There's a distinct lack of places to work now compared to 10 years ago and the services are combining massively in joint operations. RAF on boats (sorry..ships )with the Navy, Navy coming inland and working on Harrier camps, RAF in the fields with the Army on helicopter ops..that sort of thing. The govt are combining all three to make it a Tri-Service Joint Force all working together doing the same jobs as opposed to keeping some individuality.

If it's what you want then go for it. Personally I wouldsn't go for the Arny as you are guaranteed front-line action soon after finishing your training and I think that's a scary thought as it is never mind with little training.
Thats a touch nerve wrecking
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by saphlover
Im thinking about joining even more so now, the main reason is because of the job satisfaction (money isnt everything).
you'd be suprised mate...
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

I don't think that's strictly true, not all sections of the army are 'front line' so to speak.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

saphlover Yes mate. If it was good enough initially for Prince William....

And you don't always get job satisfaction....a lot of it is like civvy street: depends who you work for and how good a boss they are.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

JxBabe Maybe not but they will go at some time.
Depends what type of Army job you want to do saphlover
Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by JxBabe
I don't think that's strictly true, not all sections of the army are 'front line' so to speak.
Most if not all Army trades go front line, Unlike RAF
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM
hodgie
PassionFord Regular

used to be army been out a little over a year now .. would deffo recomend REME or the Royal Engineers.. for trades..

Pro's = guarenteed wage,
Security,
gives good life experience

Con's = Money is seriously crap for the hours you do..
away from home too much army is way over stretched..
as stated before you get shot at.. (which aint funny)
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the RAF and if i could go back in time i wouldnt join up again.

Theres plus and minus points to it but for me the minus points and better than the plus points now.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM
hodgie
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Most if not all Army trades go front line, Unlike RAF
this is true .. no matter what trade you do you are trained as a grunt foremost so will always have to do patrols and stuff on tour!!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Mmm didn't quite mean it like that, just think people have a distorted image of what soldiers do and that it's a lot more than just front line!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by Nash
I am in the RAF and if i could go back in time i wouldnt join up again.

Theres plus and minus points to it but for me the minus points and better than the plus points now.
Same here Nash.. Wish I stayed as a chef now TBH

I wont say I've had a shit time, I havent.. But looking back and knowing what I do now.. I've wasted 6 years..
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

I found one of my old wage slips from when i was a Joiner last weekend and is how i felt.

The grass isnt allways greener and in mine and Radders case it wasn't. Its great for some people just not me. I just love the freedom i had when i was a civi, being able switch off, and go home every night to the missus.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

I found one of my old wage slips from when i was a Joiner last weekend and is how i felt.
Dont.. I found one of mine!

1k , More than what I earn now!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Probably obvious but check out http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/ for loads of info on what jobs are available, or for some more realistic info on what the Army is actually like, http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php

I think I should go into recruitment.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 PM
PastyKing
Advanced PassionFord User

The grass isnt allways greener and in mine and Radders case it wasn't. Its great for some people just not me. I just love the freedom i had when i was a civi, being able switch off, and go home every night to the missus.
i couldnt express that better myself. its the hassle and things that go with it i dont like ive done 7 years now and had a balls full of it now, its nice to have a normal job and ive done 6 years of contracting alongside being in, and regularly done 100+ hours a week contracting so i know what real work is like but its nice to have the no strings attached employment.
if i could turn back time i wouldnt have joined.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can suffer depression my dad did, having to kill people, that were shooting at him, still has nighmares and things.
He got so pissed off as they would not send him to FLAKLANDS as was his last 6 months in (27years).
He did say he would not do it now but loved every minute at the time, but very different now to his time.
tabetha
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
You can suffer depression my dad did, having to kill people, that were shooting at him, still has nighmares and things.
He got so pissed off as they would not send him to FLAKLANDS as was his last 6 months in (27years).
He did say he would not do it now but loved every minute at the time, but very different now to his time.
tabetha
Sounds more like PTSD with nightmares and other problems!!!

Navy is middle ground for treatment of personnel compared to army and RAF. Do air engineering in navy and TBH you are almost RAF in dark blue . Other branches have few shore jobs unless your a medic or mech/weapons engineer where later in career at NCO level you will have shore jobs. you tend to spend a fair while at sea but dont get shot at as much as army unless you volunteer to do that line of work or do boarding party and piss off the iranians

With cut backs and manpower issues the time ashore is less and it isnt going to get better. The new pension scheme isnt that good compared to the old one!! But pay is comparable to similar roles in merchant navy/ RFA.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

warrenpenalver How do mate. How's it going ? Was thinking of you the other day, wondering how you were getting on but was too busy at work to do anything about it
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
K500BHP
PassionFord Regular

im in the navy and the pay aint that bad but i agree with everyone that the raf is better and ive worked with the army so ive seen all sides of the argument and if i had the chance of joining up again i would join the raf but i wouldnt have seen as many countries as i have in the navy(china japan and oz/nz are the ones i need to go to) but as for life in the forces be prepared for a lot of shouting shit wages and being told what to do and when. If thats the sort of life you want then go for it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

But after a while you get to be the one shouting at people and telling them what to do! And the wages aren't that shit if you live on camp, think of all the money saved on rent/mortgage (I really should be in recruitment )
Come on guys, its not that bad is it? You're making me want to be nice to my boyfriend now
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

, think of all the money saved on rent/mortgage
You still have to pay for food and accomodation tho. It's not free, altho it is cheaper to live in..but not as good as having your own place, if you are posted close enough to live in it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM
K500BHP
PassionFord Regular

and how long do you think it takes to go from being shouted at to shouting at somone else iv'e been in the navy for 20 years and theres allways somone higher than me and i will allways get shouted at
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

I know it's not free

Nice and cheap to rent your own place if you're posted to Germany!

Ahh you get shouted in all jobs, I give up... I'm not selling it very well
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Depends on what trade you are in the RAF, Army, or Navy as to where you end up when on det.

Atleast in civi street if your getting a bollocking its for something worth while and because you have actually done it. In the forces you bollocked for shit things and alot of the time you are getting the bollocking off the person that told you to do it in the first place.

Another thing that gets me is when you know more about something than anyone else, but as someones a crusty old fucker thats been in since before the wheel was invented you have to do it there way.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Nice and cheap to rent your own place if you're posted to Germany!
Where's that ???
No RAF left in Germany.

saphlover Some sites that may interest you:

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/rafindex.htm
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armyindex.htm
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/navyindex.htm
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Well I'm not talking about the RAF, I'm talking about the Army

Just trying to get more men into uniform, can't blame a girl for trying
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

I'll let you off then
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If you don't like thinking for yourself, can't make decisions for yourself, can't motivate yourself, enjoy being away from your partner and kids, are easy lead then the services is for you
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

You're way off the mark Dannn.
That's precisely the kind of person you can't be in my experience regarding the thinking and motivation. If that person goes in the forces then they will get someone else or themselves killed (unless they are someone like admin who don't do dangerous stuff generally day to day, but can still be sent to a war zone).

Quick Reply: Anyone on here in the Army?