General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bike Test

Search this Thread

Old 29-04-2007, 06:05 PM
JayKay
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Test

Right, looking at learning to ride a motorbike as its something ive always had an interest in.

I know I need to sit a CBT test what does this consist of? And am I right in saying that if I pass the CBT I can ride 50cc on my driving license? If so, do I need to display L plates?

Whats the next step after CBT? Lessons then a test?

Cheers

John
Old 29-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

You need to do a cbt yes. This is Compulsory Basic Training....only an idiot wouldnt get through this in a few hours...its simple. Quick talk on road safety, then bike checks etc, then out on the road with a trained instructor for about 1 or 2 hours.
When you book your CBT book the lot as at this time of year they are busy as hell. Book your CBT then theory then a weeks Direct access(DAS) course. You do the CBT, then do your theory and then your direct access, usually a 4 day course or 3 if ya good from the off, at the end of the das training you do your test on the 500cc bike you have been doing training on and PASS , then you can ride any bike the insurance will allow you to
Old 29-04-2007, 06:25 PM
rstubby
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

hey mate good to see more bikers, right as you have said you need to take your cbt which is normally around a 6 hour day in which you discuss clothing, road signs, how to safely ride a bike and plenty of other things, if you already have a helmet, jacket and gloves then this is handy but if not most riding schools will supply you with them, they will then take you out in the van to a location to speak to you again and show you the controls of the bike, now are you intending on riding a bigger bike and if so a 125cc geared bike is what you need to ride to get used to the extra power and gears, the next thing they will do is to let you ride around in the area you are in and do various manovers for example emergency stop, u-turn, figure of 8 and other manovers, they will then once satisfied with everyone take you out on the road (normally two per instructor) you will be given an intercom system to put into your ear and can only listern to the instructor, they will then take you to various places and you will do manovers again, its virtually pass proof, even some people falling off have passed, now providing you are over 17 as you have said you have a driving liecence you can now ride up to a 125cc motorcycle, if you ride a 50cc you DO NOT have to display l's plates and insurance providing can take pillions but if you chose to ride any thing bigger you must display l's and cannot take a pillion. With regard to what is next you can then take lessons or if you are 21+ you can take the Direct Acces test which intitles you ride any bike when finished, what i would suggest doing if under the age of 21 is completing your theroy test for the motorbike and then booking a test and tying in your lessons to go up to you test, i would also suggest doing this in 2007 as in 2008 new rules are being imposed and if you are under 21 these will effect you, also if you are under 21 you will be restricted to 33hp for 2 years. Good luck with everything and if you need to know any more feel free to pm me.
Old 29-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on with my bike test stuff at the moment.

Went and bust Ł300 notes on leathers today, a 2 piece suit, boots and gloves. Absolute bargain as that little lot should of been around about Ł600 - last years "model" as it were

Already got my security sorted in the garage for the bike too, I suggest you seriously consider the area you live in and what security you need for your bike too. I have opted for a Datatool Ground Anchor which is sunk into the concrete and is thatcham approved. I also have other devices, but I will not disclose them on a public forum for obvious reasons

Obviously the more devices you have, the more your insurence love you. Datatagging and Microdotting is an insurence fave, as is an alarm and immobiliser

First bike wise, depending on what you want out of a bike it is entirely upto you. I am opting for a Kawasaki ZX6-R Ninja (600cc sports bike), but only because I have ridden before and have a fair idea of how to control a big bike Altho saying that, when you get on a 500cc machine after doing your cbt on a 125, the 500 is MUCH MUCH easier to control as the weight is lower to the ground (IE, the bike is heavier than you) and you'll be more stable at any speed
Old 29-04-2007, 10:59 PM
taz8520
Part of the Furniture

I'm starting a job at yamaha in few weeks and wanted to get a bike so this info has helped me cheers