General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Main dealer warranty? what is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2007, 08:30 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main dealer warranty? what is normal?

Can anyone advise?

My girlfriend has bought a car from ford main dealer end of January.
Its developed a major oil leak that I noticed a week or so ago (not sure how long has been doing for)

She's taken it back to ford today and they have said its not covered and no warranty on the car?

would this be right? she is adamant that they said there was 12 month with it when they bought it - however I don't think she has anything written down to validate it?
Old 27-04-2007, 08:59 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

anything sold as new has 12 month warranty - cars, hair dryer even computers.

Ford usually offer 2 years dealer warrant after the 1st years manufacture warranty too....

I'd take it to another dealership if I were you.

Alex
Old 27-04-2007, 10:59 AM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Alex, he hasnt said if its a new car or a 2nd hand car from ford.

If its 2nd had they may only have a 30 day warrenty, but even still its worth getting back on tot he salesman that sold the car and get him to smooth it over with the service dept about your oil leak repair for free.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:44 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If not new you are covered by SALE OF GOODS ACT, which basically states VERY CLEARLY that any faults that occure during the first SIX MONTHS are deemed to have been present at the sale time, and the seller is legally liable to correct faults at their expense.
There are exclusions of course but these relate to fair wear and tear components tyres brakes etc.
tabetha
Old 27-04-2007, 01:52 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I work for bmw warranty & they have 3 years unlimmited mileage warranty from new...Used cars are a different story tho approved used cars have 12 months warranty but it only covers half of the manufacturers warranty does not include bopdy trims , dash rattles ect..But if you buy a car from the likes of a small garage with a mickey mouse warranty things like oil leaks cant be coverd & they have a claim limit & basicly they arent worth the paper they are written on..If its a brand new car the answer is yes it should be coverd unless she has run over something causing damage to the sump ect
Old 27-04-2007, 06:05 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
If not new you are covered by SALE OF GOODS ACT, which basically states VERY CLEARLY that any faults that occure during the first SIX MONTHS are deemed to have been present at the sale time, and the seller is legally liable to correct faults at their expense.
There are exclusions of course but these relate to fair wear and tear components tyres brakes etc.
tabetha
Good to know Tabetha, but will the garage claim the car wasn't leaking oil at the point of sale and this fault has not been evident the last 4 months so not their problem or does the SOGA protect you in this suitation ?
Old 27-04-2007, 09:59 PM
AndyNo1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I work for a Pug dealer I some of the extended warranty policies are worth shi*. An ext warr is not as comprehensive as a manufacturers warranty.

Legally Im not allowed talk about ext warranties with customers, thats for the sales people to do when they sell the car.

Also you have to pay investugation charges with ext warr that most customers arent aware off (which takes the piss and makes my job harder)

Hope you get it sorted out mate.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Sale of Goods Act doesn't state anything has to be good for ANY period so time-limited warranties can be challenged.

It says that goods have to be of merchantable quality, fit for purpose and as described, and that any defect occurring within the first 6 months can be assumed to have existed when sold, unless the supplier can prove otherwise.

Also, the car has to be in the kind of condition you'd expect so with a used car you have to take into account the age and mileage of the car, and the price you paid for it.

If the salesman says he told you about the leak it becomes a case of who is more believable in court - so if the car was £1000 cheaper than it should have been it supports his argument, but if it was at top book, you wouldn't pay that for a leaky car.

A car sold by a franchised Ford dealer should have a worthwhile warranty on it, but don't expect them to roll over and just sort it. Whether

You need to get information - lots of stuff is available on http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact.../page9010.html

And be prepared to defend your cause but, if they won't move, go see the CAB or even Trading Standards.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:49 PM
o n i o n
PassionFord Regular

As tabetha sais, I too am almost 100% sure you get 6 months.

The dealers never state this, in our ford dealer, the sales team say it's three months, but if really challenged, they would admit it was 6.

Shouldn't matter if the fault was there or not when the vehicle was purchased.

Could always call their bluff. By threatening trading standards, solicitors etc.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:57 PM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Originally Posted by o n i o n
As tabetha sais, I too am almost 100% sure you get 6 months.

The dealers never state this, in our ford dealer, the sales team say it's three months, but if really challenged, they would admit it was 6.

Shouldn't matter if the fault was there or not when the vehicle was purchased.

Could always call their bluff. By threatening trading standards, solicitors etc.
Correct! Always call there bluff! Ask the manager when he is available for a BBC watchdog interview!!

Read the small print on your warranty if you have one before you do anything (including buying the car in the first place!!! )
Old 28-04-2007, 07:36 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SALE OF GOODS AND SUPPLY OF SERVICES ACT, clearly states any major fault that occurs within six months down to dealer.
This in NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY WARRANTY, it is your LEGAL RIGHT!!
You of course if they refuse have the option of writing tho them allowing them say 14 days to effect said repairs failing which you will get another ford dealer to do it and sue them for the cost, you will win.
I go to small claims court every couple of years or so and the judges are ace.
My advice phone up trading standards, and let dealer know you are taking these steps.
You are quite within your rights to park near the dealers with a sign(read MASSIVE BANNER!!) detailing the problems you have so long as it is factually correct this often works too, but much quicker, PLOD cannot get involved as no law is broken, though they may be called, which is good, then you take pictures and send to a LOCAL newspaper, better still ask local newspaper to attend, local,news though as very effective as that is where their market is.
tabetha
Old 28-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here at volvo, and im pretty sure its EXACTLY the same with ford, as they are related companies, with a used car you will get a 12 month full manufacturers warranty.

Tell her to look at her original invoice and it will state what kind of warranty she has on there!