General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Where do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2007, 08:43 AM
JayKay
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I stand?

Bought a car from auction on 21st March 2007, 1995 M reg Mondeo 1.8 Turbo Diesel. Auction centre sent the log book off, gave me the new keeper supplement.

Got to end of March, car needed taxing. Fair dos, anyway looked at New Keeper Supplement, said taxation class was "Disabled" great I thought, trip over to DVLA office. So off I went, got it changed over to plg, and because I hadnt yet received the full log book in my name the woman made me fill out a V62, stapled the New Keeper bit to it and said id receive a new log book with the correct taxation class. Great.

In the meantime, I received my log book with the wrong taxation class (from when the auction centre sent the V5 off) so I thought seeing as I didnt have the New Keeper bit, id hang onto it until my amended log book arrived.

Log book dropped through the door this morning. First thoughts when opening it were "Why the hell has the car now got 6 previous keepers....mine had 2!!)

Anyway on closer inspection, the reg no of my car is M553 *** and they have sent me a log book for M533 *** which is a Mondeo 1.6 petrol, which apparently I purchased on 2nd April 2007 (the day in which I taxed my car!)

So called DVLA, they advised me to return the log book with a covering note, so thats what Im going to do. What I want to know however, is where do I stand if any speeding fines/parking fines for this car drop through the door in the meantime? Can they really prove I didnt own the car briefly, with my name being on the log book etc? Or do they acctually have an ounce of common sense to realise admin error with my car having a similar reg no?

Cheers

John
Old 23-04-2007, 08:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i had this just recently

what you need to do is tell the auction site the prolems first off so that there is a record of them fucking up and you telling them they fucked up

then you'll need to call the dvla and say that the number plate on the car doesn't match the details they have on their records, they will then send you out a form to fill in in regards to the chassis number on the car, on the log book on the mot certificate and number plates front and rear
send this off and they'll dig into it

i think i had a g rather than a 9 in the chassis number and it's still going on now 6 weeks later and i'm still to revice my log book
Old 23-04-2007, 08:52 AM
JayKay

I think the main problem has come from the jobsworth at my DVLA local office as I received the correct log book from when the auction centre sent it off, its just when I was supposed to receive the log book with amended taxation class theyve fucked up. I do still have auction receips etc stating the reg no of MY car and the date it was purchased etc...

Just done a quick DVLA check as well and this Mondeo is untaxed ...better not get fined for that

Just to make it clear, I do have a log book for MY car as well, just with the wrong taxation class, I intend to send a photoopy of the front my my own log book with my reg no highlighted, when I sent the incorrect log book back.

In simple terms in case your confused (I am !)

I now have 2 log books.

One for M553 *** which is MY car, however the taxation class is wrong.

The 2nd log book is for M533 *** a car for which I have nothing to do with and the previous registered keeper ( who should be the current keeper) lives at the opposite end of the country!
Old 23-04-2007, 02:39 PM
JayKay

Sent the log book back this afternoon, along with a cover note explaining also included a photocopy of my own log book with my own reg no highlighted etc
Old 23-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Daveesaunders

They still won't understand even if you send a covering note, the DVLA ended up with the V5 for my shell and would send it back unless I had it inspected with all the correct parts on that I had moved to another shell. I re-applied for the log book recently and they sent it through.

They haven't got a clue at the DVLA I've spoke to one person before who told me one thing when I rang again I got a different person who told me something else needless to say I had an argument with them.