General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

YB deck height and piston bowl CC

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
scruffythefirst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YB deck height and piston bowl CC

Does anyone know what the typical deck height for a standard YB bottom end is?

Also the CC of the bowl in the pistons?

Also, has anyone fitted a pinto head to a YB bottom end (Don't ask why its a secret )? How much does a good but used yb bottom end go for these days?

Cheers Chaps
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sounds like a plan
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe i am being thick, but are you talking about the cylinder block? as i thought the 200 block is the same, althought the 205 has a few minor differences
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
scruffythefirst

I want to know the height standard Yb pistons protrude from the Block and the bowl CC so I can work out the CR and piston - head clearance. I know YB rods are 1.5mm longer, but the pin to piston top is less. I'm not sure what the standard pinto deck height is either. As i'm working in Indonesia at the moment, I can't measure anything.

The blocks are the same, the pistons and rods are different (as is the crank but its the same stroke). The headgasket is also 0.3mm thinner than the pinto one.

The plan is a supercharged pinto for my capri, I was thinking if the YB bottom end fitted without problems, I wouldn't have to muck around with fiesta diesel rods and v6 pistons as I want this engine to rev to at least 8k and can't afford pukka steel bits.

Also, any ideas on which supercharger is suitable, I suspect the mini eaton 45 is going to be too small for a low compression 2lt.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a supercharged pinto?

Unless you are just doing this because you like the idea, i would have thought that this route is not going to make a particually fast car, firstly because of the drain a supercharger has on an engine, secondly that superchargers dont produce a massive amount of boost.

Personally i would have thought you would have been better making a high revving pinto on 40's? or maybe a turbo?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Roots charger will be better for low down power, but fuck knows which one!

JJ
Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
scruffythefirst

C'mon, someone must know the answer

I've already got a YB turbo in a 730kg kit car. I want something cheap, flexible and with loads of torque. A supercharger draws loads of power from the engine, but so does a turbo. A supercharger is a dam sight cheaper than a turbo, even if I could find a second hand pinto turbo manifold. I don't want to just stick a YB in it, cos I've already got one.

Using the cossie bottom end means I can rev it to whatever the top end will take, and its less hassle to build a pinto top end to take 8.5k than a Yb one.

I want something that cruises relitively off boost on the motorway, but with the rev range to make lots of boost and power when thrashed.

I suppose I could just stick a pinto on 40's in, but that would only take half an hour and then I'd be bored again.

Plus I want something a little unusal and a project. If I was being sensible I'd just stick a 302 or a YB in it but its been done.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[quote="scruffythefirst"]C'mon, someone must know the answer

I want something that cruises relitively off boost on the motorway,

a supercharger is always on boost as the boost is relative to rpm, and although anything is possible i know of a pinto that ran a T3, boosting its tits off that only did 200 ish bhp, are you sure this is a step in the right direction
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
scruffythefirst

Untill I know the deck height and bowl CC I can't crunch the numbers and see if its sensible. The whole point of using a low comp high reving bottom end is so that at low cruising rpm the chargers not going very fast, but with enough rev range to generate decent boost and power at the top end.

A standard pinto has too high a CR and not enough revs to make a good forced induction motor so I'm not surprised it only made 200 ish. You can get 200+ out of a pinto nat asp with enough revs and headwork, so 200bhp should be no sweat with a high rev limit and a charger and some headwork.

I could do 200bhp with just the bits I've got in the garage plus a set of cossie rods and acralite pistons, but the CR would be too high for a charger and the cams I'd need would make the car really lumpy low down and not nice to drive at all.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
scruffythefirst

Anyone?