General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone know anything about Fridges/Freezers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about Fridges/Freezers?

Cos mine's not working

Saturday, when I began moving in, I turned on the power for the Fridge/freezer, since it had been off since Dec/Jan time, stuffed a few beers in it and went home for the night, hoping it would have chilled properly for Sunday/Monday when I did some food shopping.

But even today, it's still not cold in any way! Touch the back (inside) of the fridge or freezer and it's room temperature.

It's not making any noise either. In the cupboard next to it is a mains switch for it. Turn that on and the orange light (on the plug) lights up and so does the light inside the fridge. But the fridge and freezer don't get cold

It's not the temp setting as it only has 0-5 - 0 being off (light goes off inside) and 5 being coldest - it's currently on 4, has been on 5 over Sat night and half of Sunday...

It's all built into the kitchen units tho so I can't get to the back of it....

Any idea's?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 PM
rauri
up in smoke........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arnt you supposed to leave them to settle after you move them for a certain amount of time before you turn them on?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Didn't move it pal - it's all built into the kitchen so was left there by previous owner. It's been turned off, in situ, since Dec/Jan time...
Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 PM
rauri
up in smoke........

then in that case im buggered if i can help you m8

sorry,im sure someone will know tho
Old 02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

most prolly fucked m8
i have to unplug em at work etc when i am working in kitchens etc
and in the past 10 years i have had 5 never come back on after i have switched em off..
We now warn people prior to us turning them off, you have to think some fridges etc have been on for years without ever been switched off
Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

possibly the compressor .. if you turn it off wait 5 mins then back on and it just clicks from the back ... time to either get a new one or call out a man who will probably suck air in and go .. phewww thats a big job .. not gonna be cheap

seriously tho .. if it just clicks then it's normally a compresor fault either the starter or compressor itself, if it humms then its normally a refrigerant loss or blockage..

needs to be left standing after moving due to the possibility of compressor lubricant getting stuck in the very small pipe that the refrigerant passes through..
Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Fuck

Suppose I will have to get a local electrician or someone out to see if it can be serviced! I REALLY don't want to have to replace it!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Fridge man came - says it's the thermostat - he bypassed it and it all kicked into life, so reckons a new one fitted will do the trick. £80 incl labour he says.....

Fucking fridges
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

strange,,, stats are normally very reliable now
Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Possibly - I have no idea tho

He reckons it's an easy job to replace it, and if the part is instock, he should get it 2morrow, and they should be able to come fit it either Thurs or Fri
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

was gonna say!

fuck that for a manky old second hand fridge lol
Old 05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Bollox! Show me a new fridge/freezer combo fully fitted for £80! I was in B+Q last night and the cheapest one that looks like it would fit was £300!!!!

Don't forget tho - this combo is fully built into the units, so isn't as simple as just buying a new fridge freezer - I'd have to get one exactly the same size and dimensions, half the units would need ripping out, and it'd need unwiring from the mains, and the new one wiring in.....

Far easier to give the repair man £80 and let him spend half hour making it work again!

Woiuld be different if the compressor had gone or something like that that needed a couple hundred spent on it - I'd have changed it, but for £80 and a LOT less fucking around - I got it fixed!

Running now, so by this eve my beers should be cold again