General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Thats it Brown has upped the car tax

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

OOOOOOOOOO did peple think nothing was going to rise ffs
Old 21-03-2007, 05:32 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Originally Posted by Rhys

having said that, i would prefer a different way where people are charged on the actual use of the vehicle. you may have a 'gas guzzler' like your 911 but only use it on the occassional sunday blast or trackday that doesn't contribute to congestion and causes less pollution than a 'low emmissions' vehicle that is driven on a long commute everyday.

:
They have already got such a tax, Fuel tax!!! thats what its there for imo.
but just taxing fuel is not fair either. like i say, what if you live in a rural area and have to travel a long distance for not just work, but also other ammenities like shopping, post office (as there are none left anymore ), schools etc, etc?

you have no alternative but to use private transport, so you will pay more than someone who drives a short distance in a city causing congestion and extra pollution where a bus runs anyway

fuel tax definitely needs to be part of the equation, but not all of it. i certainly can't come up with an answer that suits everyone. i just try to do my bit by having a small car with small efficient engine and a motorbike
Yes mate but more often than not, its their choice to live in a rural area for example so should budget for the extra fuel costs anyway. i see what your saying though by i cant think of a better way to do it other than fuel tax as the way you use, the more you pay. Doing your bit as in what mate? Less pollution due to smaller engine? In that sense mate, im also doing my bit by spending £6000 upto £10,000 potentially on fuel so although im creating a bit more pollution, im giving the government thousands of pounds to spent on whatever they feel neccessary (or unneccessary!!) Swings and roundabouts again i suppose.

I dont get this government though, on one hand their trying to decrease c02 (supposedly adding to global warming, which has since been proved otherwise), and on the other hand their happy to take our money in fuel tax to pay for shite. Encouraging people to use public transport may reduce pollutants but they'll lose a fortune.

If i were in power id encourage everyone to buy big 4x4's to rake it in on fuel tax!! And then once all the gas and oil's run out it probably wont matter as we'll have electric cars or something by then.
Old 21-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rhys

having said that, i would prefer a different way where people are charged on the actual use of the vehicle. you may have a 'gas guzzler' like your 911 but only use it on the occassional sunday blast or trackday that doesn't contribute to congestion and causes less pollution than a 'low emmissions' vehicle that is driven on a long commute everyday.

:
They have already got such a tax, Fuel tax!!! thats what its there for imo.
but just taxing fuel is not fair either. like i say, what if you live in a rural area and have to travel a long distance for not just work, but also other ammenities like shopping, post office (as there are none left anymore ), schools etc, etc?

you have no alternative but to use private transport, so you will pay more than someone who drives a short distance in a city causing congestion and extra pollution where a bus runs anyway

fuel tax definitely needs to be part of the equation, but not all of it. i certainly can't come up with an answer that suits everyone. i just try to do my bit by having a small car with small efficient engine and a motorbike
Mate i dont disagree with you! i was saying that they can class this as a method of making the most polluters pay more etc. I hate fuel duty increases as i have to travel 50miles to uni and tbh i can use public transport as it would be a nightmare and take forever and not be as cheap either.
Old 21-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

all taxes are money making ploys for the government period.
Remember you are born free and taxed to death
Old 21-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

For the first time im interested in what hes done for pensioners.

In 2010 when im 65 we can earn 19950 before tax at the now 20% . A free bus pass & heating allowance, blimey all my Christmas's have come at once.

Blimey am I really interested in the budget, never interested me before.
You cant change it so why get up-set about it, a pointless exercise, im sure the accountants will find a few loop-holes anyway.
Old 21-03-2007, 06:19 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1rst
No ones mentioned the 2p cut in income tax though.
Don't know whether anyone else has mentioned this but he's also scrapping the starting (10%) tax rate so that change in tax rate suits those on a decent wage but stings those on low incomes. Those who can least afford it
Old 21-03-2007, 06:40 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gurnE
Don't know whether anyone else has mentioned this but he's also scrapping the starting (10%) tax rate so that change in tax rate suits those on a decent wage but stings those on low incomes. Those who can least afford it
I know i later found that out myself mate. Very misleading or devious, whichever, especially when i heard on the radio saying its good news for EVERYONE as income tax has been cut 2p per £......blah blah blah.
Old 21-03-2007, 06:55 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePH
You cant change it so why get up-set about it
of course you can change it, but you have to wait for the next general election
Old 21-03-2007, 07:01 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You think the Tories or Lim Dems would be any different????

Direct action is the answer. Guy Fawkes had the right idea

Old 21-03-2007, 07:03 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, heard on the news that if you earn 5-17k£ you will now be paying at the 20p rate instead of 10p. So does that then mean i'll be paying double tax per month? i.e. 600 a month income tax?
Old 21-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Now pray tell me whos going to reverse whats just been done.
If the Tories get in next time, they will have one hell of a mess to sort out considering what this joker & his cronies have done.
Only good thing is they all want the grey vote & thats me
Old 21-03-2007, 07:12 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by James
Yes, heard on the news that if you earn 5-17k£ you will now be paying at the 20p rate instead of 10p. So does that then mean i'll be paying double tax per month? i.e. 600 a month income tax?
Basically at the moment after your personal allowance you pay 10% tax on the next £2150 so £215 in tax.

Anything above that you'll pay 22% until you hit the 40% band at £33,300 taxable income.

In 2008 anything you earn over your personal allowance will be taxed at 20%

This will be a good thing for most of us that are on a decent wage but will hit those who don't earn that much.

I.e. if you only earn about 7k it will double the amount of tax you currently pay.
Old 21-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Dont matter what car you drive at the end of the day, its going to cost you shit loads in the next fre years .

People need cars they know that so your just a cash machine
Old 21-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

errr, actually, it's still a "temporary" WAR tax, and has been for a couple of hundred years. It still has to get voted on each year.

Most of us shouldn't pay "income" tax anyway. The proper definition of "income" is money earned from not doing anything, ie interest, dividends, bonuses, money from rents etc..... NOT money in exchange for manual labour. However, that's another thread altogether, and certainly not one I'm going to post up.

(more and more Americans are getting away with not paying the IRS anything, simply because "income tax" was never actually properly put into law over there , but you'll never hear that on the news )
Old 21-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if you only earn 7k you pay fuck all in tax and the FAACT of the matter you cant earn 7k a year and live without being up to some sort of scam,,,, i used to scrape by on 10k a year,,,,, earning 7k would be impossible these days when you look at transport/rent ect

oh and the ones paying them selves in dividends are the ones who should be targeted as youe earning MORE than the poor folk and using this legal scam to avoid paying tax at the normal rate

ffs you can afford a 996 turbo and a nobel,,,,, its almost as bad as when pete was moaning about the rate of property tax he had to pay when buying a property for 400k,,,,, when you all prob gained more on tax breaks based on the buisness things anyway though accountants with lunches blah blah blah that us employed people have to pay for with no loop holes

swop wages for a bloke who works in a kitchen for a year then talk about hardship ffs,,,, work in a kitchen before you talk about working hard/long hours ect

btw i dont work in a kitchen and i get paied reasonably well but i stil reconise there are others out there who have to scrape a living due to not having the chances ive had in life
Old 21-03-2007, 07:32 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whats the personal allowence calculated from?

i earn just over £1k a month, about £200 of that is tax, will i know be paying £400 a month tax?
Old 21-03-2007, 07:45 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by James
whats the personal allowence calculated from?

i earn just over £1k a month, about £200 of that is tax, will i know be paying £400 a month tax?
Yes

Only joking, no you will only be paying double on the £2150 which constitutes the current starting rate band.

That will double from £215 to £430 but the difference will be offset by the fact that the rest of your wages minus your personal allowance will be charged at 20% instead of 22%.

Ie.

12k gross.

Personal allowance of £5035 (That's the current rate but close enough for this) leaves £6965 of taxable income

Old system = £215 (10% band) + £1059.30 (22% band)= 1274.30 in tax

New system = £6965 @ 20% = 1392 in tax

You'll be less a tenner a month worse off.

Get a pay rise and you'll be OK tho

(Those sums are pretty approximate because I've used the current personal allowance so once you factor in the increased allowance for 2008/09 then that will reduce the impact even further
Old 21-03-2007, 07:47 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ahhhhh that makes sense, cheers

been trying for a pay rise for three months..
Old 21-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
Originally Posted by pastyking
Originally Posted by Coldo
Why dont they whap the tax on fags up by over a quid, make their money from the cigs, then leave road tax alone?

Cigarettes do not serve any purpose at all, where as vehicles do? Might aswell tax the fuck outta them instead.
fair point im all for that
quite a sensible option, but i also agree that 4x4s should be heavily taxed, they serve no purpose to anyone other than farmers and those who genuinely go offroad in them, annoys the hell out of me people using such ridiculous vehicles to drive 800mtrs up the road to take the kids to school
Sorry cant be bothered to read the next 2 pages

But i have a Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8 1995
why i brought it
1 It was about 2k cheaper then the TD models (and i could'nt afford the TD)
2 I tow a trailer and caravan
3 I do offroad advents Marshalling ect

Then you get the ones that but one to go to the school down the road as you have put But to be far the way this country have gone with H&S They want build a 4x4 theses day to go offraod (unless you spend f&*k laods modding it) so you get all the "rich tossers" buying them as its BIG and cost a sh$t load to buy new and makes them "look" better so i agree if you can buy a newish BIG ENGINE MOTOR just for going around the city and for the 4x4s not using them for whot there built for towing ect then the extra TAX is far