General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Thats it Brown has upped the car tax

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2007, 02:26 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Thats it Brown has upped the car tax

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Fags up by 11p.
Why not jus bump fags up to a tenner for 20?

would save lifes improve the average health of britain....decrease pollution and they'd be rollin in it?
Old 21-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the detail........

A <100 g/km
B 101-120 g/km
C 121-150 g/km
D 151-165 g/km
E 166-185 g/km
F 186-225 g/km
G** > 225 g/km

According to Parkers a car with 276 g/km is still in band F, can you tell me where you got the above figures from? not that i'm doubting I just want to check!
Old 21-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Mark_w

Originally Posted by Ratty
Originally Posted by S1rst

No ones mentioned the 2p cut in income tax though.
And you failed to mention abolishing the 10p starting tax rate on income tax so you wont be any better off
I just read up on that...as i see it,the crafty fucker has dropped income tax from 22% to 20%,but ... before earnings £0-£2150 were taxed 10% ... now they wil be 20%

mark
Old 21-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Mark_w

Originally Posted by dunlop2008

A <100 g/km
B 101-120 g/km
C 121-150 g/km
D 151-165 g/km
E 166-185 g/km
F 186-225 g/km
G** > 225 g/km

According to Parkers a car with 276 g/km is still in band F, can you tell me where you got the above figures from? not that i'm doubting I just want to check!
sorry to disapoint,but its 225 http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524

good job you dont drink and smoke heavily

mark
Old 21-03-2007, 02:33 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A <100 g/km
B 101-120 g/km
C 121-150 g/km
D 151-165 g/km
E 166-185 g/km
F 186-225 g/km
G** > 225 g/km

Band G only applies to cars registered after March 2006
Old 21-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
Why dont they whap the tax on fags up by over a quid, make their money from the cigs, then leave road tax alone?

Cigarettes do not serve any purpose at all, where as vehicles do? Might aswell tax the fuck outta them instead.
If everyone was a non smoker what would they tax instead.
Most car journeys are not essential get a push bike ? or a get a job closer to your house or a house closer to your job.
Not fair to victimise some one that choses to smoke or drink no different than taxing people more for using gas guzzlers and high powered modified cars that do 4 to the gallon on boost .
Should we all comute on a honda bog seat
Old 21-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by mark rs

A <100 g/km
B 101-120 g/km
C 121-150 g/km
D 151-165 g/km
E 166-185 g/km
F 186-225 g/km
G** > 225 g/km

sorry to disapoint,but its 225 http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524

good job you dont drink and smoke heavily

mark
I do as well thats the problem the budget has nailed me!

I'll have to sell my cars and wind up my buisness lol!

Just been speaking to the accountant he's a little busy to work out all the exact figuires for me at the moment, I'm not supprised!

Very sneaky how they have increased the before earning tax!

One thing to say Mr G Brown = CUNT!
Old 21-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Mark_w

are your porker and noble both registered after march 23rd 2006 then?

mark
Old 21-03-2007, 02:44 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Thats it Brown has upped the car tax

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
would save lifes improve the average health of britain....decrease pollution and they'd be rollin in it?
Apart from more people would live longer, meaning more pension payouts for one. Plus more drain on the NHS, even though smokers take up a fair % of NHS resources/ money I'm gonna guess already.

Plus how will the cancer charities raise money if smoking is banned/ dramatically reduced. (This is one of their main causes isn't it? )
Old 21-03-2007, 02:45 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Well Mr Brown has certainly fucked me up big time!!!

I drive a 911 (996) turbo which is 339 g/km so that will be £400.
I also have a noble which I suppose doesnt need road tax as the fucking thing never works
what is the depreciation in a year on something like that? in the £1000's. how much do you spend in fuel, oil, tyres etc in a year on something like that? are you really going to notice another £200 out of your pocket? seems like a very small proportion of the running costs to me.

having said that, i would prefer a different way where people are charged on the actual use of the vehicle. you may have a 'gas guzzler' like your 911 but only use it on the occassional sunday blast or trackday that doesn't contribute to congestion and causes less pollution than a 'low emmissions' vehicle that is driven on a long commute everyday.

but then we get into difficult subjects like congestion charges, higher fuel duty that affects people in rural areas with no public transport etc.

there is no easy solution that will keep everybody happy. but don't moan about it, change it - you live in a democracy. and if you don't like that, live elsewhere
Old 21-03-2007, 02:46 PM
RobL

i been smoking years and i cant remember the last time i brought a pack of fags from a shop anyway so they can tax them as much as they want as far as im concerned
if i had to resort to buying them from a shop id probably quit
Old 21-03-2007, 02:48 PM
PastyKing

Originally Posted by RobL
i been smoking years and i cant remember the last time i brought a pack of fags from a shop anyway so they can tax them as much as they want as far as im concerned
if i had to resort to buying them from a shop id probably quit
TAX EVADER ALERT
Old 21-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Well Mr Brown has certainly fucked me up big time!!!

I drive a 911 (996) turbo which is 339 g/km so that will be £400.
I also have a noble which I suppose doesnt need road tax as the fucking thing never works
what is the depreciation in a year on something like that? in the £1000's. how much do you spend in fuel, oil, tyres etc in a year on something like that? are you really going to notice another £200 out of your pocket? seems like a very small proportion of the running costs to me.

having said that, i would prefer a different way where people are charged on the actual use of the vehicle. you may have a 'gas guzzler' like your 911 but only use it on the occassional sunday blast or trackday that doesn't contribute to congestion and causes less pollution than a 'low emmissions' vehicle that is driven on a long commute everyday.

but then we get into difficult subjects like congestion charges, higher fuel duty that affects people in rural areas with no public transport etc.

there is no easy solution that will keep everybody happy. but don't moan about it, change it - you live in a democracy. and if you don't like that, live elsewhere
I agree with your statements there, but I still feel that they are targeting the wrong people, although the budget does appear to of helped out the with want of a better tearm "the middle class families" with the increase of tax benifits for children and helping there income tax out which I believe is a good thing. I feel that the goverment need to target the people that do not work out of choise and get a grip of all the spongers in this county.

TBH the car thing doesnt really bother me that much as you say a road fund licence is so minimal to the overall running of my vechiles.

The budget has made it very evident in my mind that Gordon Brown does not like self employed people! I will be far more out of pocket with the fact that my divident payments are going to be severly effected and I believe there are more categorys coming in to the flat rate vat scheme to further peanilise my current circumstances!
Old 21-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the road fund licence on cars registered before 23 March 2006?
Old 21-03-2007, 03:23 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
If I read it correctly, it depends on the age of the car.

Simply put - if the car is registered before March 2001, then it will be a flat rate for all vehicles over 2000cc. and a lesser rate for all those less - approx 180 a year.

Between 2001-2006, the bands are A-F. G is not yet applicable.

Post this, anything goes.

So if you have a 996 on a 2004 plate, then you will not be paying the £400 if I understand the budget correctly.

It all relates to the fact that they cannot retrospectively apply taxation law I think.

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75

So if you have a 996 on a 2004 plate, then you will not be paying the £400 if I understand the budget correctly.

JJ
lol
Old 21-03-2007, 03:28 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

JJ
lol
I should add, for helping to explain the potential outcome of the outcome on you, you now are obliged to take me for a spin in your car!

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 03:29 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As regards road tax, maybe a better option would be to work peoples road tax out as an average depending on how many cars they own for example. They can only drive one car at a time at the end of the day. That way i wouldnt be paying £180 a year for my escos when i do less than 1000 miles in it a year.

Saying that, i dont think it should be based on actual road usage as i do 300+ miles a day, and 500-600+ very often!!

Am i right in thinking that in America, you pay a set amount regardless?
Old 21-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit of a kick in the nuts for car manufacturers, as I can see it meaning that lots of people will stick with their older more polluting cars, rather than buy one that struggles to meat the required emissions, as they seem VERY strict and not many performance cars are below the top threshold .
Old 21-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Nick D

JJ
lol
I should add, for helping to explain the potential outcome of the outcome on you, you now are obliged to take me for a spin in your car!

JJ
next time your in manchetser mate no problem!!

Oh and if i teke you out for a spin the outcome would be you'd have to fix the noble if it was broken lol!!

What am I saying if it was broken it always fucking is!
Old 21-03-2007, 03:34 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

JJ
lol

JJ
next time your in manchetser mate no problem!!

Oh and if i teke you out for a spin the outcome would be you'd have to fix the noble if it was broken lol!!

What am I saying if it was broken it always fucking is!

PMSL Deal! How hard can it be! I have a couple of turbos and a mondeo engine lying around somewhere!!!!

Seriously though, sad to hear that it is a little unreliable - I looked at buying one some time ago. A guy I know down here has had one from new that seems to keep losing cylinders.

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 03:43 PM
richzs

That's a bit of a kick in the nuts for car manufacturers, as I can see it meaning that lots of people will stick with their older more polluting cars, rather than buy one that struggles to meat the required emissions, as they seem VERY strict and not many performance cars are below the top threshold .
Ford seem to have been wise to it then, the Focus ST C02 appears to be 224!

Good news for my 04 reg ST220 though, buy an old one rather than a new one, emissions the same but less tax. May explain why no ST in new range yet.
Old 21-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Nick D

Don't get one!!! It was a stupid impulse buy and the dealership network is a joke.

I went to a nobel meeting where they stated that alot of there dealerships / service centres were being shut down because of poor service and customer relations however some of the garrages were doing very well wilth happy customers.

They then proceeded to state that they were going to shut them all down to sort this out and start again which is absolutely rediculous why not just shut down the underperoming garages? NO IDEA LOL!

They then started mentioning about depreciation figuires on there older marques and this was effecting the new sales so they reduced the price of the new ones making the older models drop even more!

The cars are not the best but an absolute blast when there working, but the structure of the company makes TVR look good!
Old 21-03-2007, 04:17 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't get one!!! It was a stupid impulse buy and the dealership network is a joke.

I went to a nobel meeting where they stated that alot of there dealerships / service centres were being shut down because of poor service and customer relations however some of the garrages were doing very well wilth happy customers.

They then proceeded to state that they were going to shut them all down to sort this out and start again which is absolutely rediculous why not just shut down the underperoming garages? NO IDEA LOL!

They then started mentioning about depreciation figuires on there older marques and this was effecting the new sales so they reduced the price of the new ones making the older models drop even more!

The cars are not the best but an absolute blast when there working, but the structure of the company makes TVR look good!
Its a shame really - cos they look so good on paper!

So often the way.

Mind you - cant get round the idea of having a 996 Turbo and wanting a Noble!

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 04:20 PM
RS Bowk

So Bottom line here peeps what everyone wants to know is how much is it gunna cost to tax the cossy for a year?
Old 21-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Nick D

So often the way.

JJ
Noble came 1st, I had an E46 cabriolet at the time and bought the noble, then upgraded the bm to the turbo! Best move I ever made, well taking the turbo to DMS was the best move I ever made!
Old 21-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS Bowk
So Bottom line here peeps what everyone wants to know is how much is it gunna cost to tax the cossy for a year?
More than last time
Old 21-03-2007, 04:24 PM
RS Bowk

LOL.

So Have they said exactly how much tho?
Old 21-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

:
They have already got such a tax, Fuel tax!!! thats what its there for imo.
Old 21-03-2007, 04:33 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So often the way.

JJ
Noble came 1st, I had an E46 cabriolet at the time and bought the noble, then upgraded the bm to the turbo! Best move I ever made, well taking the turbo to DMS was the best move I ever made!
Good move . To be fair, I use my E39 M5 as the daily runner, and the cossie as the weekend toy. I kinda wanted to replace the weekend toy with the Noble, but because of their reliability, I figure I would like to replace the E39 with the Porsche instead!

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 04:34 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Seriously though, is the few extra pounds a year really going to influence what cars people chose to buy? Im really not sure. Not for me, as i believe the benefits of having a car that costs more to tax, more than makes up for the few extra pounds youll pay.

Is this the reason the government put the prices up or is it purely to gain more income as they know the majority will just grin and bear it and continue to pay up?
Old 21-03-2007, 04:36 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

looking at the figures, it seems that it's going to cost me LESS to tax my mondeo now than before 2002 2.0

or is someone going to tell me that it is now going to be more than £195?
Old 21-03-2007, 04:37 PM
4x4

*EDITED BY WEBTEAM*
Old 21-03-2007, 04:38 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rhys

:
Good point mate and they get stupid amounts off fuel tax from me!!!! I can spend anywhere between £500 a month MINIMUM just on diesel (let alone petrol) and very often about £750+, so their getting plenty from me as it is!!!
Old 21-03-2007, 04:43 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

IN fuel tax, I pay the govt approx 4k a year

JJ
Old 21-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Hannah
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

just calculated how the budget will affect me on the bbc website......

according to their calcualations next year im going to be £70 odd quid better off ..... wow
Old 21-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Hannah
just calculated how the budget will affect me on the bbc website......

according to their calcualations next year im going to be £70 odd quid better off ..... wow
Better than nowt though or £70 worse off. Thats a night out money, courtesy of govt
Old 21-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Hannah
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

lol true!!! but thats for the whole year though but still could be worse i could have a 4x4!
Old 21-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Don't get one!!! It was a stupid impulse buy
what is it with people on this forum! you can afford to buy a Noble on an impulse and your complaining about having to shell out a few extra quid on car tax every year FFS

most of us class an impulse buy as grabbing a "curly whirly" whilst paying for our petrol
Old 21-03-2007, 05:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys

:
but just taxing fuel is not fair either. like i say, what if you live in a rural area and have to travel a long distance for not just work, but also other ammenities like shopping, post office (as there are none left anymore ), schools etc, etc?

you have no alternative but to use private transport, so you will pay more than someone who drives a short distance in a city causing congestion and extra pollution where a bus runs anyway

fuel tax definitely needs to be part of the equation, but not all of it. i certainly can't come up with an answer that suits everyone. i just try to do my bit by having a small car with small efficient engine and a motorbike

Quick Reply: Thats it Brown has upped the car tax