General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Should Sony be punished for not providing the same quality PS3 to the UK, and also trying to charge
Yes
82.50%
No
17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Who believes Sony should go bust for screwing us on the PS3

Search this Thread

Old 14-03-2007, 12:01 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who believes Sony should go bust for screwing us on the PS3

As title.

Unbelievable!

We wait longer than everyone else for the damn thing, and because it has gone rather over budget they have stripped out the compatability with the original PS2 Games. And they are more expensive!!!

Sony apparently are pleading with people to not buy foreign ones, as they are - and I quote "not designed for our market"

What they mean is that you have to buy the games and dvds from abroad, as they are cheaper and released earlier, but slighlty harder to buy!!!!!!!! (not to mention they are backwards compatible)

Shame on Sony for screwing us on the PS2 backwards compatability. Xbox for me

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 12:05 PM
rsnutters1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

thats one of reasons why i bought a wii

feel fitter as well
Old 14-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have you got a link to where it says they are not backwards compatible? If games producers have followed Sony's guidelines when developing PS2 games, they should still be compatible (and PS One games).

Or are you talking about the possibility of the 20GB version of the PS3?
Old 14-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Fraz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billabong
Have you got a link to where it says they are not backwards compatible? If games producers have followed Sony's guidelines when developing PS2 games, they should still be compatible (and PS One games).

Or are you talking about the possibility of the 20GB version of the PS3?
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38191

Sony pulled the PS2 chip from European release so regardless of guidelines they will not work until a fully working emulator is built.
Old 14-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02...compatibility/

only some games

have cancelled my ps3 order now, came to my senses about the outlay of such an amount of money!
Old 14-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Carlsworth
Former Sponsor

i love the playstation brand,...
shit, my mate has a website that he sells playstation 1 games consoles etc....

but this is a piss take,...

i saw on game, the standard package is Ł475...what a fucking rip off...

99% of people dont want/need 20gb hard drive/internet access...

they must do a cheaper version which will just play games/dvds???????

carl
Old 14-03-2007, 12:32 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So glad i bought an xbox 360
Old 14-03-2007, 12:43 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

sony CANNOT go bust

cos my housemate will lose his job (ps3 engineer), then he'll lose his house, then i'll be homeless

we do rip into him for the ps3, the amount of work he (doesnt) do, i'm not suprised they have delayed the launch so much
Old 14-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not me.. bought mine in the US in January.

and to be honest, i'm not really that impressed. basically it's been relegated to a blu ray player already, much as my 360 was relegated to dvd player for the kitchen once i got the wii.
Old 14-03-2007, 01:00 PM
MattyRST

Ł475 seems a hell of alot of cash when a 360 seems a really good console ie graphics and games etc
Old 14-03-2007, 01:00 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cheaper PS3 without hard drive will be released later in the year.

I don't have any PS2 games, so not fussed about the backward compatibility
Old 14-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They aren't Ł475, they're Ł425 - add up the extras you need on an XBOX360 (HD player, wireless etc.) to make the spec similar and they're basically the same price
Old 14-03-2007, 02:53 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the point is that Sony have released a console and deliberately skimped on bits to save money (without dropping the price!)

The points about the addons for the XBOX 360 are not valid either. It is only relevant if you want the one thing to do all....

All that can be asked is:

1. The PS3 is the same no matter where you buy it from
2. The PS3 can be backwards compatible (given that they are elsewhere)
3. The price of the PS3 is equitable to the market elsewhere.

I have a 360 which is franky ok. But I have a hard drive that currently is used as a glorified memory card! I have absolutely no use for all the other stuff that it can do, as I have dedicated technology for those items. Even so, I didnt have to pay Ł425 for it!

The point is Sony made us wait the longest for it, then short changed us when it arrived.

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 03:00 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Its early days yet and no doubt lots of people will not be happy but you can bet that once Sony starts churning out the games and the price comes down then most if not all of those unhappy people will end up getting one.

We have to wait a while to see how Sony does before we compare it to the 360.
Old 14-03-2007, 03:12 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Was it actually confirmed by Sony that it would initially be able to play older PS games, then after orders have been made, they decide not to use the chip that lets it do that and keep the price the same? If so, then id definatly cancel my order if not just on principle, as there not completeing their part of the contract.

Its like putting a deposit down on a car, going to pick it up and it only having 3 wheels.
Old 14-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75

The points about the addons for the XBOX 360 are not valid either.
Of course it's valid when people are comparing the two, it's like comparing a 950cc Fiesta with an RS Turbo if you don't take things into account.

You don't feel that Microsoft skimped when they fitted crappy power supplies to the XBOX and the number of faults etc...??

The only people concerned about backward compatibility are the people who already have PS2 games, and hence extremely likely to have - a PS2.

Sony were the first to offer any backwards compatibility on a games console when the PS2 came out - cool idea, but in practice, I stopped playing PS1 games once I got the PS2.....

As to price points and availability, I agree to a certain extent, but it's largely no different to DVD's, welcome to rip-off Britan..

Plus, you got an XBOX, why are you bothered, and if you are bothered, why didn't you buy the 'much cheaper' Jap/US version?
Old 14-03-2007, 03:23 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The points about the addons for the XBOX 360 are not valid either.
Of course it's valid when people are comparing the two, it's like comparing a 950cc Fiesta with an RS Turbo if you don't take things into account.

You don't feel that Microsoft skimped when they fitted crappy power supplies to the XBOX and the number of faults etc...??

The only people concerned about backward compatibility are the people who already have PS2 games, and hence extremely likely to have - a PS2.

Sony were the first to offer any backwards compatibility on a games console when the PS2 came out - cool idea, but in practice, I stopped playing PS1 games once I got the PS2.....

As to price points and availability, I agree to a certain extent, but it's largely no different to DVD's, welcome to rip-off Britan..

Plus, you got an XBOX, why are you bothered, and if you are bothered, why didn't you buy the 'much cheaper' Jap/US version?

Dont get me wrong - The XBox 360 to me was a bitter dissapointment also - but at least they didnt make the same type of errors that Sony made.

The point I was making was that the 360 at the very least allowed the consumer to buy the basic model, and upgrade. Sony have not provided that option. As such, a signficant number of the purchasers will probably never make use of the additional facility.

To show that I am even - the biggest annoyance of the Xbox 360 was an absolute refusal to support Divx format through the network on the basis that and I quote now! "only pirates use it!!!!". So all those that choose to upload all your own DVDs and Videos according to Msoft are pirates!

Frankly I think that it is laughable that a chipped version of the original Xbox is more capable in this regard.

To be fair - it isnt like comparing a 990cc Fiesta with a RS Turbo - that misses my point. It is more like only allowing consumers to buy an RS Turbo when all they want is a 990cc Fiesta!

And I am bothered because I have always been a Playstation Loyalist, and I feel that I have been totally screwed by Sony. And why should I have to buy a US version!

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 03:37 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive already got a PS3, ill be getting rid of it soon if anyones interested

GT HD and Motorstorm rule!!!!!!
Old 14-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm playing Devil's advocate slightly - I'm a Sony loyalist too. The wait etc.. was the same with the PS2, so I expected the same this time around (plus I'm getting older, and not as fussed anymore ).

As to the functionality, I'm not too sure on that - I think they felt they had to go the route they have due to the large lead time Microsoft had over them. There's talk of a cut down version of the PS3, but I can't see it being hugely popular to be honest, but I guess price may dictate that, if it gets released.

Part of the appeal of the PS2 was the built in DVD drive - everyone said the console was expensive and I suppose for a 'games console' - it was, but when viewed on its merits and taking into account the DVD player, I don't think in reality it was expensive.

Trouble is, with the PS3 Sony want to release an integrated home entertainment system, not just a games console as they feel that's what'll win it for them.......now that doesn't bother me, but can see how it might bother others...
Old 14-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

and I thought Games consoles were about playing games on and having fun on

Little did I realise they are actually built so people can argue over the internet about them
Old 14-03-2007, 03:54 PM
andyhardy

I'm not that fussed as I have 3 PS2s lying around anyway (after having one's laser break, only to find it was adjustments that needed making etc.).

Like alot of people, I think I'm going to wait until Microsoft and Sony have a price war around Christmas time or later and buy both then! Cheap-arse FTW!

Andy
Old 14-03-2007, 03:57 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm playing Devil's advocate slightly - I'm a Sony loyalist too. The wait etc.. was the same with the PS2, so I expected the same this time around (plus I'm getting older, and not as fussed anymore ).

As to the functionality, I'm not too sure on that - I think they felt they had to go the route they have due to the large lead time Microsoft had over them. There's talk of a cut down version of the PS3, but I can't see it being hugely popular to be honest, but I guess price may dictate that, if it gets released.

Part of the appeal of the PS2 was the built in DVD drive - everyone said the console was expensive and I suppose for a 'games console' - it was, but when viewed on its merits and taking into account the DVD player, I don't think in reality it was expensive.

Trouble is, with the PS3 Sony want to release an integrated home entertainment system, not just a games console as they feel that's what'll win it for them.......now that doesn't bother me, but can see how it might bother others...

All fair points

I bought the PS2 on the strength of it being a DVD Player as well as a games console. The down side.... It was utterly useless as a DVD Player!

I agree about the home entertainment thing - Microsoft have forced them down that line. Which is a shame, becuase most women hate them on principal, and wont use them properly. Moreover - I have my complete collection on my main server, including TV shows, music and all sorts. Wont fit on a 60Gb Drive, and frustratingly, the system wont stream it off my Network as easily as it could if Msoft just lifted the blinkers off.

Sony are a record label, so will doubtless take a similar approach. As such, the technology again is being restricted by closed minded people.

Take solace that the Nintendo Wi is the only one that is actually profitable (both the others are subsidised with profits in the games!), and has massively out sold both of the others! Not only that, but it is the least technically profficient! Good for Nintendo!

This I believe is a lesson for both MSoft, and Sony!

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 03:59 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie

Little did I realise they are actually built so people can argue over the internet about them
At least this argument is fully backwards compatible with all other arguments, and comes for the bargain price of F All!!!!

What you all fail to realise is that I get a permit from my wife for just one console, and therefore it has to be all things to all men! As such, given that Gran Turismo will probably be about fifty years away - and I may not be able to play the current versions - I am stuck!
Old 14-03-2007, 04:01 PM
andyhardy

True about Nintendo - played on the fact it's a games machine and worked on gameplay angles rather than the 'Home Media Center' willy wagging battle.

I was worried for a while a few years ago that after the N64, Nintendo would go like Sega did with the Dreamcast. I've got a Gamecube and I have to say hand on heart it is the best console to play with a bunch of mates round I've had a go on the Wii and it's just the same, but with a more innovative way of playing!

Andy
Old 14-03-2007, 04:39 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Porkie, the Sony Fanboys will always come out in force when a bad word is uttered

I think not putting an HDMI cable int he pack as standard is a bit harsh though, especially when they are only retailling around Ł20 on their own.
Old 14-03-2007, 04:51 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by DogSmoke

Porkie, the Sony Fanboys will always come out in force when a bad word is uttered

I think not putting an HDMI cable int he pack as standard is a bit harsh though, especially when they are only retailling around Ł20 on their own.
get back to work, slacker
Old 14-03-2007, 04:59 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are fun IF you get your arse online Lee
Old 14-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by CossieRich

They are fun IF you get your arse online Lee
Mark just dropped his Wii off at my desk for me to borrow

The POWER of Passionford man You can get help on anything on here!!!

Never seen a Wii before!!! its TINY!!! can't wait to get home

So thats it now... I have a PS2 (for guitar hero ) a import PS3 (unplayed!) , and an Xbox360 (played 3 times! )

And thats not including old stuff like PS, Xboxs and gamecubes!

Rich I will be on line next week when I am bored of the other stuff and you can kick my ass at PGR3 mate
Old 14-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At least this argument is fully backwards compatible with all other arguments, and comes for the bargain price of F All!!!!
LOL

Have to agree about PS2 DVD use - seemed a good idea at the time, but lots of use gave me laser issues

As for the PS3 HDD, apparently they are replaceable with larger SATA HDD's

Now I seem to get through a DVD player per year ....

If they bundled a HDMI lead, a percentage of people would moan and say the console could have been cheaper without it, they can't really win whatever they do. Either way, my HDMI lead is bundled for free in my pack
Old 14-03-2007, 10:22 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Would be good if they were SATA drives - Another thing I never really understood why they dont standardise!

If it is standardised, it is cheaper to manufacture. Given that a 400gig drive is about 50 quid these days!

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They are SATA drives - laptop size (2.5")!! There's even something in the owners manual telling how to change it
Old 14-03-2007, 10:41 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

WHO CARES?!

GT5 is out at xmas....

not buying anything till then!

ALex
Old 14-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You cared enough to post, Alex

And you HOPE GT5 is out for Xmas (so do I )
Old 14-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont care if its backwards compatible anyway, i wont want to play a ps2 game when i can play a ps3 game in hd. i never wanted to play ps1 games when i got a ps2, just like i didnt want to play xbox games when i got a 360, why take a step back ?, i understand people have favorite games and stuff, which is cool, but once ive played a next gen console, i lose interest in the old consoles. and as far as price goes, if you spec up a 360 to the same spec as a 60gig ps3, the price difference isnt that much anyway. i do agree that not supplying a hdmi lead when its Ł425 to start with is a bit of a piss take, why bang on about hd games this hd games that, then still not give you the option to play in hd when you get the console unless you have bought an ' extra ' lead, microsoft gave a hd lead with the 360 premium so sony should have give one with the 60 gig ps3. so far ive spent Ł530 on my preorder for the ps3, console, 2 games and a hdmi lead, but that may go up a bit by the 23rd when its released.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:56 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You cared enough to post, Alex

And you HOPE GT5 is out for Xmas (so do I )
I love that game! GT4 was ace. When I bought the Xbox and played PGR3 for the first time, I realised again how good GT4 was!

Project Gotham is absolute litter! The cars on the nurburgring are the wrong scale! On the big straight, you can only just get two cars side by side! Glad the real one is a little wider!

Forza should tide me over when that ever comes out!

JJ
Old 14-03-2007, 11:16 PM
CRABBY

i have got 2 on pre order for my 2 boys they are really exited i checked with the people at game and i am assured that ps2 games can be played on it ????

if not surely they are going to be in deep shit trade description and all that
Old 14-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

im so glad discount (20% off infact )
Old 14-03-2007, 11:31 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT HD

anyone got this yet?

Old 14-03-2007, 11:32 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CRABBY
i have got 2 on pre order for my 2 boys they are really exited i checked with the people at game and i am assured that ps2 games can be played on it ????

if not surely they are going to be in deep shit trade description and all that
Then Deep shit it is then. The only slight defence that Game may have will depend on when they pre-sold them to you. Sony have only relatively recently admitted to this lack of backward compatibility.

As I understand it, the ones sold in US and Japan have the chip that operates PS2s. As a cost saving mechanism, they removed this from the European ones with the intention of producing a software emulator at a later stage I think. Check out the link below and read for yourself, but I would not get your hopes up.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38191

JJ
Old 15-03-2007, 04:35 AM
buzznwood
Part of the Furniture

Sqaure pegs and round holes would be the best way to describe the development of the ps3.

You could always import one from the us as they are not exactly flying off the shevels over this side of the pond. $600 may make it a cheaper than standalone blu ray players but its a huge amount for a games console.

Even in japan where the xbox360 was always doomed to fail leaving the the ps3 no next gen competition the wii is outselling the ps3 by a large margin.

Quick Reply: Who believes Sony should go bust for screwing us on the PS3