General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions, decisions

Looking to see if anyone has any input or can help me and let me know what they did when planning what cars to buy...

At the moment ive gone as far as i can (until im 21 and can afford to insure it with a new engine) with my 1.1 Fiesta - it has full FRST interior, (minus electrics) and full FRST bodykit and a decent set of alloys.

I have been planning on saving up around £4000 (ball park figure) to spend on her, new engine (1.6 Turbo, crackle paint, Roose Hoses, IC, Oil Cooler etc etc), paint, a few new panels, wiring, full underside resto, polybushes and alot of powder coating. Although i do love the car i can't help but think i'll be ploughing money into it and never get the returns worth £4000, i don't mean selling the car (as i never will, already spent too much money on her) but more like is £4000 worth it to spend on a car that'll only have around 180bhp, fwd etc.

After checking out insurance for when i reach 21, they'res only 400-500quids difference between insuring an FRST and a 4x4 Saph Cos - im contimplating what to do now. Save up and finish the Fiesta or buy a Stage 1 Saph at around £5000, leaving little money to be spent on it - bearing in mind that it will be an everyday car.

How much did it cost to fully restore your Fiestas? Do you look back and think "I should have saved and just bought a Cosworth"?

Cheers,

Agar
Old 02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Katie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably best not to buy a saff if you need it for everyday car and can't afford for it to break...as sods law it probably would!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you're going to do that, I'd seriously look at buying an FRST - you should get one for around £4k. If you're dead set on furthering your project, then I'd get an insurance quote - it could cost a lot more than an FRST to insure as basically it isn't - it's a modified 1.1 Fiesta, probably need an engineers report too.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Billabong
If you're going to do that, I'd seriously look at buying an FRST - you should get one for around £4k. If you're dead set on furthering your project, then I'd get an insurance quote - it could cost a lot more than an FRST to insure as basically it isn't - it's a modified 1.1 Fiesta, probably need an engineers report too.
Listen to this man!!

Pass the car on to someone else to enjoy! Like someone who cant afford a FRST!

4k WILL get you a tidy FRST!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Ps My FRST running T3 etc was more than man enough to give a stg1 Saff a run for its money!

I Remember wasting Graham Lockwood stg1 shitter at the Rover v Ford thrash to a ton! I smiled for days.........
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yep, as said, pass your motor on and buy a real fez turbo, it will keep it's value and you will get one from between 2500 and 4000 so could have one sooner than you think, especially if you can get a classic car insurance policy, soo cheap
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

like people above have said sell the fiesta and buy a genuine fiesta turbo, im sure u can get a pretty nice one for that,
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dont sink your money into that car mate Just save up and buy an already quick car. Trust me you will regret it in the future
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
donny murdo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Franco
Listen to this man!!

Pass the car on to someone else to enjoy! Like someone who cant afford a FRST!

4k WILL get you a tidy FRST!

Wise words from these chaps, its up to you mate but if it was me I would spend no more on your car, punt it minus the speedlines and get yourself a frst, cossies are big money every day cars
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Bang on!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hmmmmmm

i'd be inclined to bin off the buy a frst idea as you know yours is mint, with a frst you're never gonna know whats under the kit until it falls off then you find your gonna have to spend a couple of grand on wheelarches and sills

If i was you i think i'd get a cheap rst [theres usually some rotten examples around for about £700] convert yours to turbo ebay whats left and i suspect the whole thing will only actually cost you about £300.

The rest of your £4k keep in the bank and keep saving for a tidy cosworth one day.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Best you get friendly with the bank manager! Oh and say your goodbyes!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

I'd love a geniune FRST that was a minter, but in order to get a solid one i'll be looking at spending alot of cash. Could be worth it though if it keeps its value.

I won't be doing anything now (engine wise/buying an FRST) for a year or two anyway due to insurance at my age (19). Im now thinking i'll start getting all the trick work done (flocked interior etc) to mine now and just swapping over all the bits when i buy a genuine FRST and then break mine. I think it'll come down to how much the geniune ones will be fetching in a few years, and i guess i could buy a well specced one with all the work done already.

Best not spend anymore on mine at the moment anyway - it difficult though

Cheers for everyones input so far.