General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Diesel Turbo on Petrol Engine????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel Turbo on Petrol Engine????

I have been told in past this sin't a good idea, anyone quickly explain why?

I have a practically new turbo from a Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6, sitting here in New Zealand. It has electronic variable vane and the control box on the vane actuator gave up so whole turbo replaced under warranty, I got the old one(12000km's ). I plan on locking turbo full open or full closed on the vanes dependant on how it goes(or try and get fancy and control it hahaha )

I have a Mk1 Golf Project that I planned to put a 2l 16v in, now the turbo helps the TDV6 kick out 190bhp, so what prevents it working on a petrol engine?

I don't have compressor map(and can't read the bloody things if I did) but it's a Borg Warner BV50 with number 4H2Q6K682CG. Had planned on using a Rotrex Supercharger but it's free to have this turbo..... so who can help me out???
Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They cant take the heat of the petrol engine basically... Diesel burns cooler thus the Diesel Turbo is not deisgned to take the heat if it was on a petrol engine.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Rhys
They cant take the heat of the petrol engine basically... Diesel burns cooler thus the Diesel Turbo is not deisgned to take the heat if it was on a petrol engine.
Thats not totally the truth, infact ive yet to see any proof of that, but seen countless things to prove totally the opposite.

Either that was on very old turbos, or one of them bullshit myths started by turbo manufacturers to make money off you mugs.

Main issue you will have is the exhaust housings are generally bigger compared to compressor size, meaning possibly less suitable on a small engine, esp as this one was off a much bigger engine in the first place.

Good luck in getting the variable vane control to work effectivley tho, its hard enough with mechanical (ie actuator controlled) ones.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Barry_GTi

That's what I have heard about heat issu but I can't see it myself....... I mean what do they make different in it that can't take the heat????

Hmm so exhaust side might be too big, but in that case maybe having variable vane at "shut" will aid that??? I wasn't thinking of full control with the variable vane but more and on/off for differing situations, but I suppose you would always just want the most you could have anyway hahahaha

I think it's worth a try for a free turbo?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 AM
streetandtrack graphics
Virgin

what size are the exhaust/compressor housings?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

On/Off would be properly properly awful.

Dead shut would be too small id expect.

Could maybe find a point your cool with tho, i mean all it does is increase the housing a/r, so if its set at one point its same as a conventional turbo.

Defo worth looking into seeing if you can get proper control of it as thats idea, but not easy, or cheap.

190bhp is a bit of a waste of a 2litre 16v engine tho, to say the least!

Turbos worth having, to sell if nothing else. Then put that money to buy a GT28R or RS with a .63 housing and have no lag and 280-330bhp rather than a sucky 190.

Be better than a rotrex charger anyhow as they centrefugal ones so boost just rises with revs, unlike a proper supercharger, so youd have a ton more midrange with a turbo even if top end was the same, and chances are top end would be a ton more with a turbo too...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you stuck a normal actuator on it with the pipe to the inlet, the more boost the further the actuator moves, the more boost made unitl the vanes are in the fully open position?

That would work wouldn't it?

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by James
If you stuck a normal actuator on it with the pipe to the inlet, the more boost the further the actuator moves, the more boost made unitl the vanes are in the fully open position?

That would work wouldn't it?
But even then most units (esp if using something thats gonna boost high at low revs) need some serious fannying around with actuator spring rates etc etc so you dont get compressor surge etc etc.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Barry_GTi

Well yes it's 190 on the diesel but I'd be hoping for more like 250 on the 2l...... and yeah you are right I could swing the vanes to a point that suits I suppose.

Disagree with you on Rotrex though, fitted about 6 of these to Saxo's when I was in UK and they are a great unit, I understand what you are saying about midrange but then the lack of the huge torque spike is VERY beneficial on FWD car. Highest output one I built was around 230bhp at front wheels and it still didn't spin the wheels without severe provocation and acted very nice, but would easily pull to 160mph...... I personally really like the Rotrex , however I would have to admit a car that can handle a turbo(4/rwd) is great fun having that huge torque spike.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
Originally Posted by Rhys
Thats not totally the truth, infact ive yet to see any proof of that, but seen countless things to prove totally the opposite.

Either that was on very old turbos, or one of them bullshit myths started by turbo manufacturers to make money off you mugs.

Main issue you will have is the exhaust housings are generally bigger compared to compressor size, meaning possibly less suitable on a small engine, esp as this one was off a much bigger engine in the first place.

Good luck in getting the variable vane control to work effectivley tho, its hard enough with mechanical (ie actuator controlled) ones.
Steve personally i couldnt get a rats arse what turbo fits what atm But im going of what people has said. And AGESSS ago i can remember Stu saying what i mentioned above.

But are most turbos got big exhaust house and small inlet etc making most of them crap for petrol engines
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Barry_GTi

Anyone else have any opinions????? All are welcomed..........