General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO - Stu @ Motorsport Developments... REF 350BHp T28 Escos?

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

stu I'm not familiar with the details of the st setup. can you just retube the hotwire part of the sensor into a bigger diameter pipe?
we've just done that with a vauxhall one to allow it to read a smaller percentage of the air that flows through it so that the big four oh is back in range as each volt now means more lb per min of air.
Old 22-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
Can you not Copyright the software?? Or will they just copy it anyway?
nothing stu can do really without starting to change the hardware as well which would defeat the point.

sadly a function of stu's job is he puts a lot of time in to open up doors for others to walk through too.
the poetic justice of course is that it kind of serves him right as the first step in his job is basically to rip off the manufacturers software in the first place.

don't take that the wrong way stu as I fully understand the difference in what you are doing and the difficulty of it compared to someone just copying your hard work in two secs flat with I chip copier!
Old 22-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough.
Old 23-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Stu I'm not familiar with the details of the st setup. can you just retube the hotwire part of the sensor into a bigger diameter pipe?
we've just done that with a vauxhall one to allow it to read a smaller percentage of the air that flows through it so that the big four oh is back in range as each volt now means more lb per min of air.
We could do that Chipper and ive considered it quite a lot over the last week or so but i dont have the time for the trial and error on a car thats not mine, not to mention teh finances to keep buying MAF tubes off OEM.s who can take days to get things into stock. Its also especially awkward as i have to rewrite the MAF transfer map every time i do it, which is grim if it doesnt work.

Also, i need it to be an off the shelf easily obtained solution that literally just plugs in where the old one was, i dont want to have any mounting issues if possible. Mind you, nothings set in stone and that may still be an option... if i can find a tube big enough thats in mass production and accepts the current MAF footprint.
Old 23-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by SECS
Stu, If only there were more hours in a working day
For the last 2 months i would love another 8 or 10 pal, and i would fully utilise them.
Old 24-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Chip

Fair point Stu, its the massive difference between you and us "home tuners" in that everything you do has to be quickly and efficiently reproducable between cars, as opposed to just being something you do once and dont care how many hours it takes!

You have the worst job in the world in many ways, its so close to being perfect, its just when you actually have to start considering the customers and economics that it turns from fun into a nightmare I reckon
Old 24-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

You have the worst job in the world in many ways, its so close to being perfect, its just when you actually have to start considering the customers and economics that it turns from fun into a nightmare I reckon
Agree 100% mate. Building one offs is fun. Building repeatable conversions is just stressfull and hastle ridden.
Old 25-02-2007, 08:25 AM
sailorbob
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the poetic justice of course is that it kind of serves him right as the first step in his job is basically to rip off the manufacturers software in the first place.
Since when is altering calibration data ripping off the manufacturers? This is like criticising a cam manufacturer for making a cam that runs in your engine but not making the whole engine. If you were taking the code and running it on someone else's hardware I'd agree but this isn't the case.
Old 26-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by sailorbob
Since when is altering calibration data ripping off the manufacturers? This is like criticising a cam manufacturer for making a cam that runs in your engine but not making the whole engine. If you were taking the code and running it on someone else's hardware I'd agree but this isn't the case.
Since the fact its exactly as you say, you are altering it, you first rip off the manufacturers code to work out how it works, then you alter it, you are still running their actual software just with different data for some of it.

As for the cam example, given that the way most aftermarket cams are made is to start with the already developed manufacturers cam and then just tweak it a bit, I would say this also falls into the same category of being based on essentially "stealing" the development they did to get to that point initially.

Im not saying there is anythign wrong with that as such, but anyone who starts their development by first copying someone elses finnishing point to use as their own starting point has to be aware that someone else may do the same with their finnishing point and just passing it off as their own.
Old 26-02-2007, 09:29 AM
sailorbob

I suppose what I was getting at is that by altering the original code you aren't 'ripping off' the manufacturers especially when you consider that they have been paid once for their work when the car was first sold. But those who copy your work are because they are taking the results your hard earned work and passing it off as there own without any recompense. At the end of the day this results in us (the punters) being short changed, it takes away the incentive for the person doing all the hard work to carry on developing stuff.

As you can probably tell I don't like this kind of copying and I feel that those who do cannot be trusted to sell you something that’s fit for purpose. Quite possibly the worst example I've seen of a purchaser being conned by a chip vendor is them being sold an 'uprated chip' that contained completely stock Mondeo 2.0l code!
Old 26-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Chip

I suppose what I was getting at is that by altering the original code you aren't 'ripping off' the manufacturers especially when you consider that they have been paid once for their work when the car was first sold. But those who copy your work are because they are taking the results your hard earned work and passing it off as there own without any recompense. At the end of the day this results in us (the punters) being short changed, it takes away the incentive for the person doing all the hard work to carry on developing stuff.

As you can probably tell I don't like this kind of copying and I feel that those who do cannot be trusted to sell you something that’s fit for purpose. Quite possibly the worst example I've seen of a purchaser being conned by a chip vendor is them being sold an 'uprated chip' that contained completely stock Mondeo 2.0l code!
Bob, im sure we agree on everything but the semantics here, so I dont think we should carry on this "who is standing on the shoulders of who" debate anymore.

But suffice to say, I agree that people who blindly copy chips and sell them are sucking the life out of the tuning industry and are largely responsible for why this took 12 years to appears, as the reality is Stu hasnt been particuarly economically motivated to do this probably for that reason, if he thought no one would copy him this would be almost a license to print money and no doubt he would have done it years ago as he would have been in a position where rather than needing a kind customer to lend him a car, it would have been a sensible investment to buy one to develop on.
Old 26-02-2007, 09:59 AM
sailorbob

im sure we agree on everything but the semantics here, so I dont think we should carry on this "who is standing on the shoulders of who" debate anymore.
Agreed
Old 26-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Stu hasnt been particuarly economically motivated to do this probably for that reason, if he thought no one would copy him this would be almost a license to print money and no doubt he would have done it years ago as he would have been in a position where rather than needing a kind customer to lend him a car, it would have been a sensible investment to buy one to develop on.
We did infact discuss this once before a few years ago, but decided there was no point us throwing 15K at a project just for everyone to sell it on as if they made it.

The same discussion happened with the closed loop idea, but we have far better security for the L8 so i bought a saff and the rest is history.
Old 26-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Chip

If nothing else stu, the discerning customer will be able to quickly identify all the tuners who without ANY doubt, are a bunch of thieving cunts when they see who is offering this in the near future
Old 26-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

If nothing else Stu, the discerning customer will be able to quickly identify all the tuners who without ANY doubt, are a bunch of thieving cunts when they see who is offering this in the near future
Thats only on a par with "nothing else" im afraid as the time and effort to get this to work well has been considerable, and we are a good few hours and many many ££s from the finish line yet, as is poor old Will who is paying for any non mapping type hardware utilised.
(Injectors and pumps)

To cap it all, i may need to change injectors to anoter type yet...
Old 26-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Chip

As I said, its a shit job mate, go and manage a branch of topshop or something is my advice

On the plus side at least you know you will get about 10 sales out of it, one each to all the people who are going to rip you off or are just very cruious
Old 26-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

On the plus side at least you know you will get about 10 sales out of it, one each to all the people who are going to rip you off or are just very cruious
Dont be daft... in this day and age, those 10 will just admit to each other they are all useless tw@'s and chip in to buy one between them.

They will then enlist an 11th and 12th tw@ to help them figure out which way up the injectors go, whilst tw@ 3 will be on the phone to me asking if the pump is really a necessity as cash is tight...
Old 26-02-2007, 11:26 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Old 26-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a q regarding the conversion,

is the new chip one that sits on the diag port like the old one did - or is it a completely reporgrammed ecu..?
Old 26-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
a q regarding the conversion,

is the new chip one that sits on the diag port like the old one did - or is it a completely reporgrammed ecu..?
Diag Port.
Old 26-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Chip

Stu, actually scrap the topshop career, ive seen how you dress, it would never work, and you would be wasted, you are however perfectly qualified for a a career in comedy somewhere that was genius humour, mainly cause its actually true
Old 26-02-2007, 12:35 PM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

I spent a couple of hours with sailorbob the other day and found it all very interesting mind you the assembly language made me feel quite sick and reminded me of a bitch of a module at uni

when you see how easy it was for him to download the hex dump off the ECU its bizarre, and then he showed me the changes that Superchips/Powerchips make and the way they control boost fuck me scary stuff

it appears that the only difference between a COSY and an ANTI is a bug fix, which means the ANTI is the bug free program I assume this is good news?
Old 26-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

He's a very pleasant and indeed knowledgeable chap when it comes to this EEC System Andy.

Originally Posted by AndyBrew
when you see how easy it was for him to download the hex dump off the ECU its bizarre,
Thats why we wonder whether to bother at times, the system is far too easy to copy.

and then he showed me the changes that Superchips/Powerchips make and the way they control boost fuck me scary stuff
Scary in what way?

it appears that the only difference between a COSY and an ANTI is a bug fix, which means the ANTI is the bug free program I assume this is good news?
The upgrade will be available for all 3 ecu's no problem at all as the porting over job looks like it will be simple enough with no apparent problems.
Old 26-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

that was genius humour
You appear to have somehow missunderstood my personal evaluation of the situation and thought that some part of it was meant to be comical. This was not the case...

Old 26-02-2007, 01:21 PM
sailorbob

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Scary in what way?
How the MAP sensor and amal valve settings are changed

Thanks to Andy for letting me loose on his ecu and it's always good to meet another enthusiast
Old 26-02-2007, 01:25 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Have you discovered the stack overflow issue yet
Old 26-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Scary in what way?
How the MAP sensor and amal valve settings are changed
Ah, got you. Slightly crude but perfectly effective for the end goal.

Simon, not to mention teh poxy EGR problems.

Bit shonky for a production car calibration IMO.
SailorBob spotted an interesting fault years ago that we discovered recently was updated in one of the cals... Its literally as though the finished software was never actually tested by anyone. lol.
Old 26-02-2007, 01:45 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I actually me the guy who wrote the eec4 turbo version software at
Dunton years ago.
This was when I did the development work on Fords FDS2000 diagnostic
system for a company called GenRad.

A nice american chap as he told me it was rushed for the european market
and had more bugs than windows
Old 26-02-2007, 01:58 PM
sailorbob

This was when I did the development work on Fords FDS2000 diagnostic system for a company called GenRad.
I want one, I'm stuck with an NGS+ that's far from ideal when using European ecu's

A nice american chap as he told me it was rushed for the european market and had more bugs than windows
Why am I not surprised, the code is basically from a normally aspirated ecu with the boost side on things tacked on - the main call doesn't even sit in the task list!
Old 26-02-2007, 01:59 PM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

jeez I thought it was only us application programmers that managed things like that
Old 26-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

This was when I did the development work on Fords FDS2000 diagnostic system for a company called GenRad.
I want one, I'm stuck with an NGS+ that's far from ideal when using European ecu's
I can get these if you need one...
Old 26-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Thats the problem with this place, too many people stay ONLY in general discussion, and miss about 80% of the most interesting topics.
Guilty as charged

I ONLY go in here and Cosworth parts
Old 26-02-2007, 02:20 PM
sailorbob

No, but I don't have a decent eec-iv simulator to code step with. I know a guy who's developing one but it's a long way off and trying to figure out a proprietary cpu that's got no official information published on it is mighty hard.

I can get these if you need one
Hmm, how much and the eternal question can it datalog?
Old 26-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

No, but I don't have a decent eec-iv simulator to code step with. I know a guy who's developing one but it's a long way off and trying to figure out a proprietary cpu that's got no official information published on it is mighty hard.

I can get these if you need one
Hmm, how much and the eternal question can it datalog?
Unsure, but via E-Mail i will put you in direct contact with the chap mate.
Old 26-02-2007, 02:33 PM
sailorbob

Great, thanks
Old 26-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Your welcome.

This very serious and somewhat interesting topic has now been cleared of childish drivel by certain members.
Old 26-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*HANDBAGS AT 10 PACES*

Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkie
Thats the problem with this place, too many people stay ONLY in general discussion, and miss about 80% of the most interesting topics.
Guilty as charged

I ONLY go in here and Cosworth parts
What?

Get in the muppet room man its a great laugh!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

If nothing else Stu, the discerning customer will be able to quickly identify all the tuners who without ANY doubt, are a bunch of thieving cunts when they see who is offering this in the near future
Thats only on a par with "nothing else" im afraid as the time and effort to get this to work well has been considerable, and we are a good few hours and many many ££s from the finish line yet, as is poor old Will who is paying for any non mapping type hardware utilised.
(Injectors and pumps)

To cap it all, i may need to change injectors to anoter type yet...
Yeh, but Will wont be charged the same bill as if he bought a standard ST escos and said get me 350bhp.

So good for both parties and indeed the whole Ford scene.

Cant wait to see the results

Quick Reply: FAO - Stu @ Motorsport Developments... REF 350BHp T28 Escos?