General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Smoking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2007, 07:28 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Smoking while driving

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Does anyone else think that smoking while driving is actually worse than being on the phone.

what a load of bollox this has got to be the worst post of 2007
Old 21-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by S1rst
Notice how no ones admitting to lobbing them out, even though plenty will do it. Like i said before, thier either thoughtless, or thick, or both.
Not a lack of admitting - I thought it pretty much went without saying.... Personally, I have never used an ashtray in a car since I have been driving
Old 21-02-2007, 08:11 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing it without a car behind is 'sort of' acceptable i suppose even though its still littering, and an offence. Probably just habit for most people though i would have thought and they do it without even realising.

Would love to see their face if they did it to an undercover cop car though.

Seriously though, why not just use the ash tray? Or am i missing the point? I dont understand.
Old 21-02-2007, 08:13 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

I personally cant see how their going to enforce this no smoking in public places policy. Hows that going to work in pubs and clubs? Its part of what makes a pub/club in my opinion. I can just imagine most of the pub standing outside with their drinks in one hand and a fag in the other with only a few people left in the pub on thier own.

Maybe its a way of making it harder for people to smoke and trying to make it easier for people to stop?
it's called the EU nanny state
Old 21-02-2007, 08:15 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Seriously though, why not just use the ash tray? Or am i missing the point? I dont understand.
Whats the point in making a mess of a nice clean ashtray? anyway, if i did, my petrol receipts would go up
Old 21-02-2007, 08:22 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

littering has got to be THE worst small minded brainless activity know to man It's the one thing that there is absolutely no need, justification or excuse for whatsoever, and chucking stuff out of cars, no matter what it is has got to be the worst. If you take the trouble to take the stuff into the car then take the trouble to take it out again when you get home, it's really not hard.
Old 21-02-2007, 08:27 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by richm
littering has got to be THE worst small minded brainless activity know to man It's the one thing that there is absolutely no need, justification or excuse for whatsoever, and chucking stuff out of cars, no matter what it is has got to be the worst. If you take the trouble to take the stuff into the car then take the trouble to take it out again when you get home, it's really not hard.
Well said that man

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 08:27 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Notice how no ones admitting to lobbing them out, even though plenty will do it. Like i said before, thier either thoughtless, or thick, or both.
admitting?what the fuck have you been dribbling on about for the last 3 pages?im an ex smoker and still back the cause! i used to smoke 30 a day and when i had finished i threw it out of the window,and i also see others do it in front of me,do you want to know how many accidents and/or burn marks ive seen (on the outside of a car! )? precisely zero,in ten years of driving,not even seen anything come close to an accident!
alps pacino,im sorry but i dont believe for a second that you really stop your car to change a cd or radio station,drivel,and if you seriously do then youre a sad mongo who is in such a minority i could count your peers on a lepers right hand!
if all this shit is sooooo dangerous then i propose we just ban driving all together,no,fuck it,ban leaving the bed in the first place!!!ban electricity,people die from it,ban oxygen cos you can die from too much.........life isnt fair and you can die from silly shit!get over it!
and as for the whole "i dont want to breathe your smoke" rubbish,i want to have a non internal combustion zone in my town centre because youre all giving me cancer as i walk around and i choose not to have lung cancer!
Old 21-02-2007, 08:29 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
admitting?what the fuck have you been dribbling on about for the last 3 pages?im an ex smoker and still back the cause! i used to smoke 30 a day and when i had finished i threw it out of the window,and i also see others do it in front of me,do you want to know how many accidents and/or burn marks ive seen (on the outside of a car! )? precisely zero,in ten years of driving,not even seen anything come close to an accident!
alps pacino,im sorry but i dont believe for a second that you really stop your car to change a cd or radio station,drivel,and if you seriously do then youre a sad mongo who is in such a minority i could count your peers on a lepers right hand!
if all this shit is sooooo dangerous then i propose we just ban driving all together,no,fuck it,ban leaving the bed in the first place!!!ban electricity,people die from it,ban oxygen cos you can die from too much.........life isnt fair and you can die from silly shit!get over it!
and as for the whole "i dont want to breathe your smoke" rubbish,i want to have a non internal combustion zone in my town centre because youre all giving me cancer as i walk around and i choose not to have lung cancer!

I hope those SPECS camera's on the M1/M18 didn;t see me eating that sausage roll on the way down to Chesterfield today
Old 21-02-2007, 08:30 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be the same penalty as mobile phones...IMO
Old 21-02-2007, 08:34 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i used to smoke 30 a day and when i had finished i threw it out of the window,and i also see others do it in front of me
Originally Posted by 'S1rst'
Like i said before, their either thoughtless, or thick, or both.
Old 21-02-2007, 08:39 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why?exactly why?when i have NEVER seen damage to person or property! what exactly do you think a fag thats about to extinguish will do to you?blow up?stay on your car long enough to melt the paint?perhaps it will blind you with its unrivalled brightness?there are far worse things in the world.
i think about people all the time,and the things that REALLY make a difference,hence why i joined the armed forces,and i dounbt being in the top class of students of a well respected private school makes me thick,but hey,your the person with the chip on your shoulder so you MUST be right!
please show me any burn marks or accidents caused by this unruly act!
Old 21-02-2007, 08:39 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i used to smoke 30 a day and when i had finished i threw it out of the window,and i also see others do it in front of me,do you want to know how many accidents and/or burn marks ive seen (on the outside of a car! )? precisely zero,in ten years of driving,
So you'd be happy for me to walk past your car and throw a lit tab end at it while your at traffic lights then?
Old 21-02-2007, 08:42 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

i used to smoke 30 a day and when i had finished i threw it out of the window,and i also see others do it in front of me
Originally Posted by 'S1rst'
Like i said before, their either thoughtless, or thick, or both.
big_wig_074" Imagine the scene, you are a biker, you are riding along behind a car with your visor open, all of a sudden the inconsiderate twat in the car flicks a cigarette out the window, it hits you in the face, the best you can hope for in that scenario is a small burn on the lining of your (very expensive) helmet, but you are more likely to get a serious burn to your face and perhaps this will cause you to crash.its not hard to extinguish them in the car, how would you like it if a biker rode past you and threw a lit cigarette at you?

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 08:49 PM
K500BHP
PassionFord Regular

WTF people smoke and drive. people drive and listen to the radio poeple take one hand off the steering wheel to change gear . As for bikers is it acceptable for them to over/undertake us on the motorway is it ok for them to take both hands off the bars to shake out their grip and also if your on a bike you wont be breathing the demon smoke and in july you wont have to worry about it in public places so why moan about it because you got hit in the chest on a bike. Dont under/overtake people or drive a car and no worries
ps car drivers as im sure your aware dont throw them at you
Old 21-02-2007, 08:50 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Debs,imagine the scene,you have a visor on your helmet,you close it and use the vents provided,then you dont cut up every other road user known to man and ride on a death trap regardless of cigarettes etc.....
Old 21-02-2007, 08:52 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Old 21-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Well once the whole of the uk gives up smoking we can ALL look forward to paying more tax on wages etc !!!! The non smokers moan but the people who do smoke pay millions in tax and mr blair will have to find the money from somewhere else
Old 21-02-2007, 08:54 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

marcolease remove your sig as theres deffo smoke there!you have until july!
Old 21-02-2007, 08:55 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by davemark
Well once the whole of the uk give up smoking we can ALL look forward to paying more tax on wages etc !!!! The non smokers moan but the people who do smoke pay millions in tax and mr blair will have to find the money from somewhere else
not millions mate,BILLIONS!!!in excess of ten billion easily!
Old 21-02-2007, 08:56 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

I have never heard so much shite in all my life this place is getting proper stupid

i have heard it all now

Old 21-02-2007, 08:56 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You still havnt answered my question above though.
Old 21-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by davemark
Well once the whole of the uk give up smoking we can ALL look forward to paying more tax on wages etc !!!! The non smokers moan but the people who do smoke pay millions in tax and mr blair will have to find the money from somewhere else
not millions mate,BILLIONS!!!in excess of ten billion easily!
Well there you go then ,where will that ten billion come from? Watch people moan then
Old 21-02-2007, 08:58 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

lol

i best not drink and drive either because i might spil it

i cant belive the shite written on here it's unbeliveable really is and it's getting worse

Old 21-02-2007, 08:59 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Debs,imagine the scene,you have a visor on your helmet,you close it and use the vents provided,then you dont cut up every other road user known to man and ride on a death trap regardless of cigarettes etc.....
Oh dear, pigeon holing bikers, not much of a defence I'm afraid, when it is cold it is safer to ride with the visor open so that it doesn't steam up and cause you to ride into the car in front of you, I could say by the flip side of the same coin that car drivers shouldn't be allowed to have their windows open ansd therefore this would negate the tab end throwing argument.Motorbikes are death traps indeed. . . . . . in the wrong hands, but then so are cars, I have been a biker for many years and have lost friends due to the stupidity and plain ignorance of car drivers, flicking tab ends out of the car window is a stupid and needless (dare I say selfish) act, if you don't want to dirty your cars ashtray, then don't smoke in the car.

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 08:59 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

only if you dont mind me plugging a hose pipe from my car's exhaust into your mouth!deal? as when in motion the cigarette will harmlessly bounce off,as would any fumes from my car! so if you like we'll do that!
Old 21-02-2007, 09:02 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

come on lads

end this topic this is total waffle at the highest degree

Old 21-02-2007, 09:03 PM
K500BHP
PassionFord Regular

Id say this is a muppet room topic
Old 21-02-2007, 09:05 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

big_wig_074

Your proved my point then mate, you wouldnt like it, so why do it yourself.

Old 21-02-2007, 09:06 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by truthordare
Oh dear, pigeon holing bikers, not much of a defence I'm afraid, when it is cold it is safer to ride with the visor open so that it doesn't steam up and cause you to ride into the car in front of you, I could say by the flip side of the same coin that car drivers shouldn't be allowed to have their windows open ansd therefore this would negate the tab end throwing argument.Motorbikes are death traps indeed. . . . . . in the wrong hands, but then so are cars, I have been a biker for many years and have lost friends due to the stupidity and plain ignorance of car drivers, flicking tab ends out of the car window is a stupid and needless (dare I say selfish) act, if you don't want to dirty your cars ashtray, then don't smoke in the car.

Debs
what????thats what the bloody vent is for!if its safer then how do you explain things getting in your eyes?not very bloody safe is it?if its not a cigarette itll be an insect or a drop of rain or anything in the air.as for pigeon holing,so far the smokers are getting a bad rap for fuck all and i dont see you standing up for them!i dont need to smoke in my car or use an ashtray as i dont smoke,BUT...its still legal to smoke,the government just havent got the balls to ban it outright as its a money spinner.either ban it,or dont,give smokers the same choice that non smokers have!some people want to smoke when they go out,who are others to deny them that?i dont like curry,but i dont strut into my local curry house and demand everyone else stops eating it and serves me fish and chips do i?choices go 2 ways!
as for accidents,yes,unfortunately they DO happen,and unfortunately bikers are NOT the saints they make themselves out to be, and bring a lot of shit and deaths on themselves (as do car drivers,lorry drivers etc...)but always seem to blame others "it wasnt MY fault i was in his blind spot!etc...
Old 21-02-2007, 09:09 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

big_wig_074

Your proved my point then mate, you wouldnt like it, so why do it yourself.

what point?you have no point! if the cigarette and yourself are in motion it will harmlessly bounce off your car,will it not?and if im sitting at the traffic lights,where are you going to flick it from?and how exactly would it cause an accident?if im not moving ill hardly have a crash because of it! my response was supposed to be as ludicrous as your idea.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:13 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

[quote="big_wig_074"]

only if you dont mind me plugging a hose pipe from my car's exhaust into your mouth!deal? as when in motion the cigarette will harmlessly bounce off,as would any fumes from my car! so if you like we'll do that! [/quote

Oh I though you had a good argument then, but you don't, wouldn't you be better off keeping your windows closed so you don't have to breathe in nasty bike fumes?? also my other argument (and I know two people who this has happened to so there goes your it causes no harm argument) you are riding along (visor closed) when a thrown tab end goes down the neck of your jacket, if you are lucky you will see it go in if not you will certainly feel it burning you. Still think its acceptable??

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 09:14 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by marco polo
come on lads

end this topic this is total waffle at the highest degree

Loving it, it clearly answers the question why are people going Jap/German. It's because the Ford lot belong in the looney bin and they'd rather not be associated, not because of performance
Old 21-02-2007, 09:16 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Have not read the whole topic, but my gripe is this:

I have a problem with burning ash hanging from someones mouth. It drops, and the only thing going through your mind is getting this hot ash out from between your legs - much worse than talking on the phone, as at least on the phone if someone pulls out you just drop the phone. That ash won't stop burning....

So, I think smoking is worse than being on the phone.

However, should either be punished with fines/points though? I don't think so - make people aware maybe (advertising campaigns etc.) but not sure about points...
Old 21-02-2007, 09:20 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

big_wig_074

Its not just about causing accidents or damaging cars, or smoking in general or while driving etc, its about the fact that some see it as acceptable for them to throw something at someone elses property.

You would without a doubt be angry if someone walked past your car and threw something at it, whether it caused damage or not.

Im bored now trying to understand the logic behind it personally.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:20 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by K500BHP
Id say this is a muppet room topic

too right

pure diaria of the finest quality
Old 21-02-2007, 09:22 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

big_wig_074

Its not just about causing accidents or damaging cars, or smoking in general or while driving etc, its about the fact that some see it as acceptable for them to throw something at someone elses property.

You would without a doubt be angry if someone walked past your car and threw something at it, whether it caused damage or not.

Im bored now trying to understand the logic behind it personally.
This is partly my point also, would it be acceptable for me to walk past a car and throw a lit cigarette throught the open window??? surely it must be ok if its ok to throw them the other way????

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pmsl at this thread.....

Fag but flicked from PF users moving vehicle becomes projectile missile, capable of destruction of others saftey amd wellbeing.....call the cops
Old 21-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

I do think it's inconsidrate to flick a ciggy out of the window without looking behind first but............

TBH I couldn't give a flying fag butt about bikers, they seem to think they own the road -

riding down the white line in the middle, if not on the wrong side of the road. If there's traffic they'll ride around traffic islands to get past - knocking wing mirrors so they can get to the front of the queue at traffic lights - why do they think they have the right to do that? undertaking on the motorway

I wouldn't worry about flying fag butts but more about riding through the middle of traffic at 50mph

Cheers

Daniel
Old 21-02-2007, 09:32 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan@Rapid-Ford
I do think it's inconsidrate to flick a ciggy out of the window without looking behind first but............

Surely lorries chucking great big stones from their tyres and cracking your windscreen is more of a threat. Ban lorries now!

Quick Reply: Smoking while driving