General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Smoking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Still going on

Some retorts.....

1) rapidcossie - care to explain why? For what justification would there be to give you three points and a £60 fine for smoking in your own vehicle?

2) S1rst - I have been a smoker longer than a driver, and in all that time, only ONE time that I know of have I ever been in my vehicle at had a flying cigerette butt hit my vehicle. Plus - I think most people don't actually flick fag butts out of cars directly at other cars - I know I don't. Mine go out the window mostly while stationary (thats not to say I hold onto them till I am stationary of course, but driving in towns, you are stationary most of the time - and I, line MANY MANY other people, don't smoke whilst driving on motorways as most of up don't have windows down when doing higher speeds). I do know of one car that did suffer a cigerette related casualty - a friends cabriolet managed to collect a "flying" fag butt in the back seat when he had the roof down and it burnt a hole in the rear seat. But then, I also know of a man who died as a result of using his mobile phone - tho he was walking on a street and not in a car at the time Should we ban the use of mobile phones on the street aswell for this reason?

3) St3V3_C - Sorry if you are THAT stupid to have a cigerette dangling from your lips and be able to drop it on yourself, then you don't deserve to be behind the wheel of a car anyway. Fag ASH tho, doens't burn (once it becomes ASH I mean tho) The falling ash from any cigerette is not hot nor has the power to burn. By the essence that it IS falling from the cigerette means it is spent, and is just ash - not hot, doesn't burn. It's not like "hot rocks" from "special cigerettes" Now the lit embers of the burning tobacco do burn, but they don't just fall out of cigerettes - see what I said above
Old 21-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by truthordare
Originally Posted by S1rst
big_wig_074

Its not just about causing accidents or damaging cars, or smoking in general or while driving etc, its about the fact that some see it as acceptable for them to throw something at someone elses property.

You would without a doubt be angry if someone walked past your car and threw something at it, whether it caused damage or not.

Im bored now trying to understand the logic behind it personally.
This is partly my point also, would it be acceptable for me to walk past a car and throw a lit cigarette throught the open window??? surely it must be ok if its ok to throw them the other way????

Debs
Umm, people don't go around throwing lit cigerettes though open windows tho... And smokers in cars certainly don't - you have to have some pretty fucking good aim and control over air flow and wind to be able to throw a lit cigerette through another persons open window!

As I said above - I don't know about the rest of general smoking/driving public - but I certainly don't "throw things at other peoples cars" !!!! I might drop a spent fag out the window, but that doesn't mean I "throw it at your car" now does it?

Fuck me, you people need to get a grip!!!!!
Old 21-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
should be banned and fined just like with mobiles....

ex smoker talking i take it,,,,, still got that nicotine crabbness
nope never smoked in my life. I am many things but im not a selfish dirty cooont
Old 21-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EIL132
Originally Posted by Dan@Rapid-Ford
I do think it's inconsidrate to flick a ciggy out of the window without looking behind first but............

Surely lorries chucking great big stones from their tyres and cracking your windscreen is more of a threat. Ban lorries now!
Stands up - my name is Dan and i'm a smoker

the argument is silly TBH but bikers with visors up, changing cds/radio stations, getting a BJ whilst driving

shit happens.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:49 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thrush

People who choose to flick them out the window while stationary and/or check to see if theres anyone behind them, i have no real issue with as thats their choice and its not going to directly effect others, and it also shows they aware of it. Its just people who do it blantently when they know someones behind them. People know its got a good chance of hitting the car behind them surely. I find it even more ridiculous that some people above are even trying to justify themselves and are saying its ok to flick them at other cars, when they would be just as angry if someone threw something at their car, whether causing damage or not.

I obviously see more of it as im driving all day, mainly on motorways, doing about 3-500+ miles a day.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:51 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_R
pmsl at this thread.....

Fag but flicked from PF users moving vehicle becomes projectile missile, capable of destruction of others saftey amd wellbeing.....call the cops

passionford strikes again no wounder us ford drives get a bad name with muppets like this

Latest PF NEWS

fag causes big pile up on the m6
Old 21-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by S1rst
Thrush

People who choose to flick them out the window while stationary and/or check to see if theres anyone behind them, i have no real issue with as thats their choice and its not going to directly effect others, and it also shows they aware of it. Its just people who do it blantently when they know someones behind them. People know its got a good chance of hitting the car behind them surely. I find it even more ridiculous that some people above are even trying to justify themselves and are saying its ok to flick them at other cars, when they would be just as angry if someone threw something at their car, whether causing damage or not.

I obviously see more of it as im driving all day, mainly on motorways, doing about 3-500+ miles a day.
I too drive all day - and I'm sorry, but I simply do not see people throwing stuff AT other cars! And I am not justifying anything - I am just trying to point out we don't throw fag butts, or anything else AT other cars!!!

I am strange, and am sure I'll get slated for this - I hate littering. Any rubbish I create whilst in my van/car, stays with me in my van/car and gets disposed of at the end of the day. I hate it when I see people chuck tissues out windows, or empty fag packets, or food wrappers.... But, with all that in mind, I don't see a problem with loosing fag buts out windows... I mean I can't have a problem with it - I am as guilty as everyone else as I do it mysefl!!! I don't know why either....
Old 21-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

And anyway, just to add to the contraversy - us smokers chucking fag butts out of cars, helps to keep people in jobs! If we were all tidy and there was no litter of anykind, then there wouldn't be any jobs for road sweepers would there!

Old 21-02-2007, 10:03 PM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

Im more bothered about the salt thats chucked about this time of year than a fag end hitting my car. Not only does it rot your car but you also get a peppering down the side of your car when a gritter drives by you.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:03 PM
S1

oh taking ANYFORM of trips when driving should be classed as dangerous,,, il never forget the day a mate of my changed lanes on the A406 cause he seen "red fraggle" run in front of his car,,,,,, drug driving not a good thing
FPMSL, reminds me of a night about 17 years ago coming home from Southend, me mate was bombing along a country lane in his xr3i when he started swerving all over the road. WTF you doing we all shouted? dodging the fucking mushrooms in the road, what do you think im doing he said

It had been a good night
Old 21-02-2007, 10:07 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by marco polo

what's barrymore been up to now?
Old 21-02-2007, 10:09 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

nope never smoked in my life. I am many things but im not a selfish dirty cooont
exactly the holier than thou attitude the smokers amongst us have been talking about
Old 21-02-2007, 10:09 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

***Breaking news***

Ford owners are shocked and worried about smoking in cars and are calling for a complete ban, however one Ford owner said, "Dont ban smoking in cars, I wont get through my next MOT!" whilst another adding "the overfueling problem has got out of hand, something has to be done about it. Those flamer kits are causing havoc with my bumper! "
Old 21-02-2007, 10:10 PM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass

Chucked himself out of a moving car apparently
Old 21-02-2007, 10:14 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by R 'Dubya' D

Chucked himself out of a moving car apparently
"Michael, Micheal....how did he die?!"

"buggered if i know"

Old 21-02-2007, 10:16 PM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

Old 21-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

EsCosRacer

Thats what i was getting at when i started this post i was trying to suggest that the government have picked the easy target again and that using a mobile is only as bad as the stuff you said. eating and drinking whilst driving is illegal btw.

Ps i have a sense of humour and am a cracking fisherman btw
Old 22-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Katie

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
EIL132

So anyway back on topic how can you get a fag out spark it up and smoke it without loosing the use of 1 hand and loosing concentration
with that argumentation the following should be banned also:

- changing tapes or cds
- use of any satnav
- listening to loud music
- drinking non-alcoholic beverages
- eating of any kind
- poking ur nose

i conclude : its utter bull.....

michael
Exactly. There are dopey bastards who can lose control of the car whilst talking quitely to their passenger...are you going to ban them too? ''I'm sorry madam, little jimmy will have to walk to school today because he's threatening your in-car concentration..however if you can fuck about and put him through a clip on your ear which takes ages to bloody sort out, longer in fact than the 10 words you want to tell him...you are fine''
Old 22-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Smoking is one hand off the wheel ( most drive like that anyway ), a lug on it every now and again (again, still keeping concentration on the road) and flicking it out the window.

As bad as a mobile phone.. Nah.

Many a time I have come unstuck using a phone, which is why I won't use it anymore.

With a fag, you can still control the car with 2 hands if needs be, with a phone, you can't.
Old 22-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank god I never god pulled over when I was wanking while driving..

I'd prob go down for being a complete perv
Old 22-02-2007, 12:51 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

i always drive with the window open when im smoking and always throw the fag butts out the window, fucking hate the smell of dirty fag butts in the car
Old 22-02-2007, 03:13 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

If not worse, then definitely as bad as.

At least with a phone you're not handling an effectivly naked flame, that's just itching to start burning you, your clothes, your upholstery and ultimately killing you and everyone else as you attempt to try and stop the flames.

And, surely it takes as much, if not more concentration to aim a lighter at a 3 inch stick hanging out of your mouth?

And for those that throw fag butts out of the window, well thanks - when I had my fuel leak one of you could've blown me up! And if I hear one "Well you should've fixed it!" My reply's gonna be "How do you spot a fuel leak from inside the car?"

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime - if you don't want stale fag smoke in your car, don't smoke in it.

Did you know it's illegal to leave ANYTHING on the carriageway?
Old 22-02-2007, 03:24 PM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

ive flicked a fag out the window before only for it to come straight back in through the back passenger window and hit my mate (who was also smoking) in the face!
Old 22-02-2007, 03:26 PM
scotty86d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Nothing wrong with a blow job while driving, just lift her head up for corners and at anytime you need to change gear!!

Illegal to eat and drive, damn!

I personally don't agree with smoking full stop, and think the place looks like a bloody tip with fag buds all over the place. keep them in your ashtray and dipose of them in a bin
Old 22-02-2007, 03:27 PM
scotty86d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by CabrioTurbo
ive flicked a fag out the window before only for it to come straight back in through the back passenger window and hit my mate (who was also smoking) in the face!
Funny fucker

I spat out the window when i ate a rough sandwich.It went back in my wondow and into my mates face.
Old 22-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

All I'll say is roll on 1st July when I can go into a pub / bar and breathe clean air not polluted by nicotine and walk out smelling as fresh as I went in, rather than like an ashtray.

If others choose to smoke in the privacy of their own home / car that's up to them and frankly I don't care.................but I very much DO care when it's forced upon me. If others want to fill their lungs with it, crack on..............but don't force it upon me. No doubt this will open a can of worms (if it hasn't already as I can't be arsed to read 4 pages of arguing) with people saying 'if you don't like it don't go in a pub' but I also have rights and one is to be able to breathe fresh air.
Old 22-02-2007, 03:42 PM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

cozmeister

How many deaths/injurys have occured by a fag igniting a cars interior?
cant say ive seen any reported.
I have however seen numerous cases, one recent was in my own town where some twat has killed someone whilst on a mobile.
Old 22-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Moonie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Can't be bothered reading the thread but I will say...

1 - I do smoke and will smoke in my car, outside and in designated smoking areas of pubs/clubs regardless of what other people say until the law says I can not.

2 - I personally find a mobile phone far more distracting than smoking while driving. Even using a hands free kit you have to concentrate and take in the conversation in order to make a response. Smoking does not require this level of concentration if any concentration.

Old 22-02-2007, 04:54 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone actually got a reasonable argument as to why smoking whilst driving is as bad as talking on a mobile? There wont be a one because how can it be as dangerous?
Old 22-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Moonie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
EIL132

So anyway back on topic how can you get a fag out spark it up and smoke it without loosing the use of 1 hand and loosing concentration
with that argumentation the following should be banned also:

- changing tapes or cds
- use of any satnav
- listening to loud music
- drinking non-alcoholic beverages
- eating of any kind
- poking ur nose

i conclude : its utter bull.....

michael
I will add to that list "change gear"

Looks like they will be banning driving next
Old 22-02-2007, 04:58 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

smoking whilst driving is completely different to being on phone,
once lit, you cans till fully concentrate on driving,

but ona phone, you can be laughing, arguing,
so IMO, smoking whilst drivig is perfectly acceptable
Old 22-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AJC

Do you just close all the windows in the car and pacive smoke or do you actually move your hand of the steering wheel, you should have gone with an ash black cossie it would have gone with the driverside carpet
Old 22-02-2007, 07:06 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Originally Posted by R 'Dubya' D
cozmeister

How many deaths/injurys have occured by a fag igniting a cars interior?
cant say ive seen any reported.
It's not necessarily the ignition that would cause a fatality, more the special few that think looking for it on the move is a good idea...

Long ago (just before I was even a sperm), my uncle crashed his jag because he dropped his cigar after he'd lit it and (foolishly) went looking for it while still driving, before it lit the interior and his pants. He was lucky it was just a lamppost and that the V12 was solid enough to take the impact... So there's one.
Old 23-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Glen1909
PassionFord Regular

Sorry if this has been said before but there are 5 whole pages and its late.

Whilst on the phone, you have only one free hand to operate the steering wheel and gears (and stereo whilst its still legal). The other problem is that since they brought in a law to prevent it, there is a tendancy to try to hide the phone for fear of being caught.

With smoking you can steer the car with one hand whilst changing gear (and stereo etc) with the other.

But to do both at the same time, that takes talent.
Old 23-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

exactly the holier than thou attitude the smokers amongst us have been talking about
yep your right..... dirty cunt...
Old 23-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Mr S1
All I'll say is roll on 1st July when I can go into a pub / bar and breathe clean air not polluted by nicotine and walk out smelling as fresh as I went in, rather than like an ashtray.

If others choose to smoke in the privacy of their own home / car that's up to them and frankly I don't care.................but I very much DO care when it's forced upon me. If others want to fill their lungs with it, crack on..............but don't force it upon me. No doubt this will open a can of worms (if it hasn't already as I can't be arsed to read 4 pages of arguing) with people saying 'if you don't like it don't go in a pub' but I also have rights and one is to be able to breathe fresh air.
ahmen...
Old 24-02-2007, 01:27 PM
bigwelshlad

havent read these pages but i do smoke when i am on the beers! dont smoke other times usually buts its gonna be different experience for many who like to relax with a ciggie and a few pints. the ban is coming in 1st april i think in wales and theres news that thsoe close to the border will be abandoning pubs and going over the border for the three months until it comes in in england.

ive got to say that even though i dont smoke throughout the day, i do during the evenings in the pub, so its gonna be difficult.
Old 24-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

I hate smoking full stop

Roll on July 1st
Old 25-02-2007, 11:44 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jemma
I hate smoking full stop