General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Smoking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2007, 11:49 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be nice if people could just apply some common sense to driving - sit in the car and drive, when you've finished doing that get out and do whatever you like..
Old 20-02-2007, 11:52 PM
neilrev
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

imo if you can't hold a conversation or smoke a fag without crashing then you should'nt be fucking driving. as for the thread it's more to do with you (alps pacino) being one of these anti smoking fuckers who thinks that because you don't like it then nobody else should be allowed to do it, than the actual driving bit.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neilrev
imo if you can't hold a conversation or smoke a fag without crashing then you should'nt be fucking driving. as for the thread it's more to do with you (alps pacino) being one of these anti smoking fuckers who thinks that because you don't like it then nobody else should be allowed to do it, than the actual driving bit.
Take it you smoke then
Old 20-02-2007, 11:56 PM
neilrev
Regular Contributor

yes
Old 20-02-2007, 11:57 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino

I have no simpathy with smokers at all it was there choice to start and knew what the crack was thats what amazes me about why people start, they must be thick as fuck
my...what a high horse you are riding

Smoking whilst driving is the next thing the PC nazis will get hold of i'm sure. The whole handsfree kit legality bollocks is a joke too, i've got a wired nokia HF kit in my car and i admit when i'm speaking to someone on it i'm not concentrating on driving half as much as i would be if i wasnt. The amount of times i've missed turn offs/slip roads etc when i've been on the handsfree.

Smoking while driving is no worse than taking your hand off the steering wheel for a second to skip the track on your cd player. i drive and smoke at the same time, with both hands on the wheel, and anyone with half a brain can light a cig up and keep their eyes on the road at the same time.

When you drive a lot for work like i do, you develop amazing skills that you can do at the same time as driving. for example, eat lunch, smoke, pick your nose and (if required) eat it (you may have forgot to pack a lunch up), open a bottle of pop with one hand, play air guitar/drums, talk on the phone (handsfree of course...in case theres any health and safety nazis around), read a map..... many of these can be done simultaneously. It's all part of the evolution of man. First we invent fire, and now we can drive a car and eat a sandwich at the same time. Darwin would be proud.

Sorry if i have offended anyone with my pro-smoking talk

Old 21-02-2007, 12:05 AM
diesel2000
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

FPMSL Quality!!!
Old 21-02-2007, 12:07 AM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by diesel2000
FPMSL Quality!!!
I work in an Oil depot and I have to wear hi viz gear!! Fuck me if they cant seem me crossing the road in there then we are all fucked!!
Old 21-02-2007, 12:26 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
When you drive a lot for work like i do, you develop amazing skills that you can do at the same time as driving. for example....... play air guitar/drums
Very true!!

At the end of the day if people want to smoke and drive then fair enough, its not illegal, yet.

As ive said the only problem i have is with the people who throw tab ends out knowing that theres someone behind them. To me it means one of two things, either that they have no thought for anyone else, or that their just plain thick and havnt got a clue. Its GOT to be one or the other, meaning their twats either way.
Old 21-02-2007, 12:35 AM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

Really cant be arsed to read the whole thread. But hows it any more dangerous than changing a cd? The only point your distracted is when your lighting up. Plus you can steer/change gear with a cig in hand.
Old 21-02-2007, 12:40 AM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, drop phone and you get cut off, drop fag and you get burned, which is more distracting.

Bottom line is you shoud drive with full concentration at all times as in the highway code, which means no chaging cds or stereo volume, screaming kids/partners, phones, fags, food, drink.....
Old 21-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Smoke-driving/
Old 21-02-2007, 09:26 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smoking is just horrid ...Full stop.
Old 21-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by EIL132
Originally Posted by S1rst

What REALLY pisses me off though is when people throw their tab end out the window and it hits your car!!!!!
Far worse driving behind old Fords with bits of engine, oil, etc hitting the car
SOOOO true, when my gearbox went bang my mate was behind in his Escos and got soaked in gearbox oil......he wasnt too impressed having to wash his car at 1am
Old 21-02-2007, 09:50 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

How do I change gear without taking my hand off the steering wheel?

How do I check my speed without taking my eyes off the road?

How do I listen to the radio without being distracted?
Old 21-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Phil
Jeebus

I think smoking should be banned full stop! It is discusting, completely un-necessary and costs the country more in healthcare problems that it raises in tax revenue.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Phil

Now i aint generalising here but does anybody else find that smokers seem to be inconsiderate and generally unpleasent commen people
Old 21-02-2007, 10:19 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Phil
I think smoking should be banned full stop! It is discusting, completely un-necessary and costs the country more in healthcare problems that it raises in tax revenue.
As well as Alcohol? Fatty Foods? etc...
Old 21-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by John Laverick
Fatty foods are not addictive and are unless you have really bad eating habits then when you eat fatty foods you don't cover everyone else in their residue or put other people eating close by's health at risk.

People who eat so much crap food that their health is in danger should have to pay for their treatment IMHO. Why should everyone have to suffer because some lard arse has a complete lack of self control?

Alcohol is a bit more tricky, it is similar to fatty foods in that drinking it doesn't directly affect anyone else but whilst the contents of alcohol itself isn't addictive (unlike the Nicotine in cigarettes) people can get addicted to the effects. Personally, whilst I like the odd beer and glass of wine as much as most people, my life wouldn't be any worse off without it if it was banned.

Personally I see smokers in the same light who people who get addicted to the pain of stabbing themselves... Pointless!
Old 21-02-2007, 10:55 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by John Laverick
Fatty foods are not addictive and are unless you have really bad eating habits then when you eat fatty foods you don't cover everyone else in their residue or put other people eating close by's health at risk.

People who eat so much crap food that their health is in danger should have to pay for their treatment IMHO. Why should everyone have to suffer because some lard arse has a complete lack of self control?

Alcohol is a bit more tricky, it is similar to fatty foods in that drinking it doesn't directly affect anyone else but whilst the contents of alcohol itself isn't addictive (unlike the Nicotine in cigarettes) people can get addicted to the effects. Personally, whilst I like the odd beer and glass of wine as much as most people, my life wouldn't be any worse off without it if it was banned.

Personally I see smokers in the same light who people who get addicted to the pain of stabbing themselves... Pointless!
I agree with elements of what you are saying... and I do agree smoking should be banned in public places.

However;

It’s all about civil liberties … I do agree that smoking should be banned in public places…I don’t think it should be banned full stop as you have stated. People smoking in there own home/car doesn’t affect you directly so why do you want it banning?

Although fatty foods aren’t medically addictive look at the affects they have on people! They could be considered completely unnecessary? They cause poor health and cost the country millions in healthcare!

Drinking DOES without doubt directly affect other people! Alcohol kills/injures thousands and thousands of people….ruins families, the effects cause aggression which leads to assaults etc…

If smoking is banned altogether what would be next? Where would the government stop? What one person deems acceptable the next person considers completely unacceptable? Motorsport / track days ... speed kills apparently…. events are noisy and disturb the locals…environmentally destructive….some would argue completely un-necessary.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:58 AM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Phil

Now i aint generalising here but does anybody else find that smokers seem to be inconsiderate and generally unpleasent commen people
Possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever read….

….you say “i aint generalising here” then go onto state that people who smoke are generally “unpleasant common people”….a pretty big generalisation in my book.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:14 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Its like with handguns, should they have been banned? No. Just because some loon decided to shoot up a school. Even though it was recomended that his liecense should be removed years before it happened.

At least the streets are safer now that they are banned.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:16 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah ok phil,no offence but where the FUCK did you get those figures from?so one person pays 5 quid a day for cigarettes,the tax on that is about 4 quid! 4x7 is 28,28x52 is Ł1456 tax per year per person,there are 60 million people in the uk roughly,and about 20% of the population are smokers,so 1456x12,000,000 is Ł17472000000 per year in tax from smoking!thats 17 and a half BILLION in tax! and even if im a little out,then it costs the government Ł1.5 billion in smoking related issues.so thats a little different from the propaganda!
Old 21-02-2007, 11:21 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Phil

Possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read anywhere........ EVER.

And no, I'm not a smoker.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:29 AM
twinkle_2k86

Originally Posted by big_wig_074

yeah ok phil,no offence but where the FUCK did you get those figures from?so one person pays 5 quid a day for cigarettes,the tax on that is about 4 quid! 4x7 is 28,28x52 is Ł1456 tax per year per person,there are 60 million people in the uk roughly,and about 20% of the population are smokers,so 1456x12,000,000 is Ł17472000000 per year in tax from smoking!thats 17 and a half BILLION in tax! and even if im a little out,then it costs the government Ł1.5 billion in smoking related issues.so thats a little different from the propaganda!
Yep and all these people backing the idea, will moan like fook when they get taxed on something they like doing, so the goverment dont loose out on there huge tax loss.

Yes im a smoker, and yes i think its a nasty habbit, but end of the day its my choice in life. And when i want to quite, i want to do it for me, not all the fooking goody to shoes who want me to stop.

I toaly agree with banning smoking in eating places, i have always gone outside for a fag even if smoking is aloud. But pubs, come on thats always been a way of life, Sticky beer covered floors, smokey rooms. If you dont like it go to a different pub.

As for smoking while driving, i do it, And i find it dont affect my driving, and if i did for any reason drop it, im ok as i got a footwell full of water on my galaxy to put it out
Old 21-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Phil

Ye but they are tho aint they
Old 21-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Smoking while driving

Does anyone else think that smoking while driving is actually worse than being on the phone.
Yes. You aren't concentrating on driving whilst lighting or smoking a fag and are not in total control of the car - same as when on a mobile. Often thought this myself and I see no difference between the two.
Old 21-02-2007, 06:41 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Phil

Ye but they are tho aint they
are you still on your fucking high horse? you spout some serious bollocks

Sorry that us commoners offend you with our filthy disgusting smoking your majesty
Old 21-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BigMouthBillyBass

So you should be why should i breath in your filth and risk getting lung cancer cause YOU choose to smoke
Old 21-02-2007, 06:45 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smoking whilst driving has without doubt caused accidents before. Just as im sure, changing the cd, going in the glovebox, messing with the stereo etc have caused accidents too, although these would be hard to enforce if they were banned. Smoking however, could be enforced the same way as the mobile phone law is enforced. At the end of the day, if banning it saves even one life, then its 100% worthwhile in my opinion. However, it would then raise the question of where do you draw the line.

As regards, smoking whilst driving not directly affecting other motorists im not too sure about. I can smell fag smoke form the car infront, and you can definatly smell weed from the car in front, as i have on numerous occassions!! Not sure if it would warrent banning smoking based on that though.

Look at it like this though, its illegal to have a smokey engine, so why is it not illegal to have a smokey window?

Seriously though, i dont have an issue with the smoking itself or smoking while driving, its just the people who lob the lit tab ends out the window with someone behind them. I think ill be safe in saying that loads of smokers on here, DO lob there lit tab ends out, and i bet a large % of those that do, lob them out when a cars behind them, with no regard or thought whatsoever.

I wonder what these people would do if they were sat at a set of traffic lights and i walked past and slapped my half eaten greasy sausage roll on there bonnet, or rammed it through their grill into the engine bay?
Old 21-02-2007, 06:47 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

BigMouthBillyBass

So you should be why should i breath in your filth and risk getting lung cancer cause YOU choose to smoke
In the privacy of my own car?
Old 21-02-2007, 06:47 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

S1rst

Try and consider how much it pisses you off when your on your bike and it hits your chest
Yep, there should be a law against throwing it out of the window at least, nothing worse than being on a bike and someone flings a red hot missile at you, especially if you have your visor open!!!, should be a fine and points for throwing it, put it out in the bloody ashtray!!!!!

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 06:50 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by truthordare
S1rst

Try and consider how much it pisses you off when your on your bike and it hits your chest
Yep, there should be a law against throwing it out of the window at least, nothing worse than being on a bike and someone flings a red hot missile at you, especially if you have your visor open!!!, should be a fine and points for throwing it, put it out in the bloody ashtray!!!!!

Debs
Most cars dont come with ashtrays any more. PC brigade have won another one

Dont see why you should get points on your licence for what is technically littering, which is already illegal and council wardens and coppers can hand out on the spot fines for dropping tabs on the floor, so im sure the same applies for flinging them out your car

This is just going to end up as another giant fuck up the arse of the british motorist, people have been smoking in cars since the fucking dawn of time, why ban it now?
Old 21-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BigMouthBillyBass

If you wish to smoke in the privacy of your own car then thats fine but do you smoke down the pub or out in clubs. If so non smokers choose not to smoke so the likes of you are being inconsiderate and not giving a toss about the non smokers realy aint you?????????

Can you see where i'm coming from saying yes yo have the choice to smoke but i also hav the choice not to smoke, why have non smoking areas there should be smoking areas instead for us normal people
Old 21-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BigMouthBillyBass

Litering on the motorway carries a 1k fine iirc so slightly different from dropping a mars bar wrapper down the local shops
Old 21-02-2007, 07:03 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

BigMouthBillyBass, why have non smoking areas there should be smoking areas instead for us normal people
eh? whats the difference....it's still two seperate areas for smokers and non smokers alike

i don't have a problem with having non-smoking areas and smoking areas, it's worked perfectly fine for decades. I like to see that non-smokers and smokers can sit where they want, and choose whether or not they want to smoke...But to ban it outright? what a crock of shit. in ye olden days (60s/70s) there was a lounge, and a smoke room in most pubs. Self explanatory really.

I don't see why with proper ventilation and extractors, which most decent pubs have anyway, can it not be worked around? It's just the government getting bent over by the EU as usual. Come on Tony, grow some fucking balls, we're not europeans, we're british.

I can't do with this whole attitude from certain non-smokers that just because we smoke, it makes them better than us. It doesnt. It's a simple choice.
Old 21-02-2007, 07:14 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I personally cant see how their going to enforce this no smoking in public places policy. Hows that going to work in pubs and clubs? Its part of what makes a pub/club in my opinion. I can just imagine most of the pub standing outside with their drinks in one hand and a fag in the other with only a few people left in the pub on thier own.

Maybe its a way of making it harder for people to smoke and trying to make it easier for people to stop?
Old 21-02-2007, 07:16 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
Originally Posted by truthordare
S1rst

Debs
Most cars dont come with ashtrays any more. PC brigade have won another one

Dont see why you should get points on your licence for what is technically littering, which is already illegal and council wardens and coppers can hand out on the spot fines for dropping tabs on the floor, so im sure the same applies for flinging them out your car

This is just going to end up as another giant fuck up the arse of the british motorist, people have been smoking in cars since the fucking dawn of time, why ban it now?
The difference between dropping it on the floor and throwing it out of your car window is that when thrown from a car it is a missile and is dangerous to other road users, I've got nothing against smokers, if you want to smoke in your car, go ahead, just don't put me and my friends at risk by launching little sticks of fire at us on the road. I'm sure new cars will have ashtrays as an optional extra.

Debs
Old 21-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: Smoking while driving

Does anyone else think that smoking while driving is actually worse than being on the phone.
Erm, nope

Does Smoking constantly require you to hold the ciggerette to your ear?

Do you have to talk to, and listen to, your cigerette?

Do you have to think about the information it is giving you, and decide upon a response, or recall other information required from your cigerette?

So, er, no
Old 21-02-2007, 07:22 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Notice how no ones admitting to lobbing them out, even though plenty will do it. Like i said before, thier either thoughtless, or thick, or both.
Old 21-02-2007, 07:26 PM
DOCK1
Regular Contributor

*Edited*

Quick Reply: Smoking while driving