General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What is it with idiots on e/bay

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What is it with idiots on e/bay

After so many people telling me i should try e/bay to sell i thought ,,bugger it i will enter the new millenium

So i have 3 items on there at the mo

ALL adverts state i WILL NOT REPLY TO TEXTS OR E/MAILS

Quess what I have had over 30 e/mails

I have just binned the lot

I also have a set of 18" escoss alloys on there , and the advert clearly states ESCOSS FITMENT ,, how mant e/mails " will these fit my saff mate "

I thought it was a good idea to use e/bay ,,seems there are more stupid people who cant read than i thought

Is this the norm or am i just unlucky
Old 15-02-2007, 07:42 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the inbred world of the great unwashed mate...
Old 15-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 15-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if poss paul try to answer the emails mate, when i broke my old cossie i sold a lot of stuff via the emails and off the back of auctions i had on there as i always put i had other stuff etc, i sold my engine via an email from a guy on ebay for 2k and avoided the ebay fees and hassle advertising it etc etc, although totally agree some of the emails are form total idiots lol
Old 15-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Gra
if poss Paul try to answer the emails mate, when i broke my old cossie i sold a lot of stuff via the emails and off the back of auctions i had on there as i always put i had other stuff etc, i sold my engine via an email from a guy on ebay for 2k and avoided the ebay fees and hassle advertising it etc etc, although totally agree some of the emails are form total idiots lol
Gra

I understand 100% what your saying mate ,,the problem is i dont have a computer at work ( will have one soon ) but still dont like e/mails as i honestly find ( when i did replt to e/mails ) that 99% are just losers that are board at work and dont realy want anything
I always find that a serious buyer will AT LEAST call you
Old 15-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

soooooo true, karen (wifey) sells baby & toddler clothes on ebay and fuck me some of the emails she gets are just from people on another planet
Old 15-02-2007, 08:12 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Paul I have to say that emails do work, I don't sell stuff via the phone much, and as said I have sold loads of stuff off the back of other parts being advertised
emails do take time to write but it's just part of working for a living!!

steve,
Old 15-02-2007, 08:19 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

if you're advertising on ebay you need to answer emails imo.

if you dont want to do emails, dont advertise on the net.

thats just my opinion but if i wanted something from your auction i would email, as that way theres no having to discuss it there and then, ball is in your court get back to me.
also i would rather just drop an email than pick up the phone explain what i want etc etc.
just quicker and easier both have a record
Old 15-02-2007, 08:49 AM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Well, as you should know, if you deal with a hundred people - you're going to come across a few idiots.

On ebay you're now dealing with millions of people, who dont even have to get off their arse to come and bother you, they can waste your time from the comfort of their council house.

Bound to end in tears!
Old 15-02-2007, 08:53 AM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

if you advertise on the net , you need to answer emails, thats part of advertising on the net !!
Old 15-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah as everyone said as much as it is a pain, think you would sell more if you did the email thing

cos some people wont ring
Old 15-02-2007, 09:32 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I just "SOLD" an item on there that was large, and it stated in bold letters, "NO POSTAGE ON THIS ITEM/ COLLECTION ONLY" then i get a fookin email from the winning bidder asking how much it is to post......
Old 15-02-2007, 09:41 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

I honestly think there are hundreds of people who just piss around on Google all day trying to waste peoples time.

I can't believe the number of utter fucktards who somehow managed to gather up the intelligence to use email or the phone only to bother me with questions they've pulled out of their arse.

I do wonder if there's some mental asylum somewhere where the network admin has set the home page to the communal computers to Ebay.
Old 15-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rog
I just "SOLD" an item on there that was large, and it stated in bold letters, "NO POSTAGE ON THIS ITEM/ COLLECTION ONLY" then i get a fookin email from the winning bidder asking how much it is to post......
On bigger items to encourage more bidders i always put collection preferrerd but winning bidder can orangise own courier at their cost etc,
Old 15-02-2007, 10:37 AM
sabres74
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

50% of all emails on Ebay are from dreamers or people who cannot read but the other 50% are genuine and often lead to additional sales. So you really do need to read them.
Old 15-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Finch-inaCos
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

Gra

I understand 100% what your saying mate ,,the problem is i dont have a computer at work ( will have one soon ) but still dont like e/mails as i honestly find ( when i did replt to e/mails ) that 99% are just losers that are board at work and dont realy want anything
I completely disagree. If you are running a business then you need to answer emails. It's like me saying that I wont answer the phone but will only deal with people that post me a letter.

Email's are the most popular form of communication, they cost sweet FA, they can be sent from anywhere in the world and they are instant proof/evidence of communication.

I have bought and sold tons of stuff on Ebay and you do get a lot of wasters, but it takes 20 seconds to write a reply. On their second communication you will know if they're serious or not.

If you want to keep building your business then I suggest you move with the times
Old 15-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

From what little I know of the subject from a friend of mine who breaks cars for a living (and unlike most actually does well at it financially) and sells mainly on ebay, the trick is that over time you learn what all the questions will be for an item, and just put it all in the advert when you are selling it.

So when you listed those wheels, you should have put "will potentially fit a saph too, but not without major modifications to the rear arches, this isnt soemthing I offer as a service so if you would like to fit them to a saph discuss it with your bodyshop, the offset for their reference is 20mm" or something along those lines

Over time, you end up with a load of these longwinded very descriptive adverts to post up, it makes you look more professional and it removes the need for people asking you questions anyway.
Old 15-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Finch-inaCos

Gra

I completely disagree. If you are running a business then you need to answer emails. It's like me saying that I wont answer the phone but will only deal with people that post me a letter.

Email's are the most popular form of communication, they cost sweet FA, they can be sent from anywhere in the world and they are instant proof/evidence of communication.

I have bought and sold tons of stuff on Ebay and you do get a lot of wasters, but it takes 20 seconds to write a reply. On their second communication you will know if they're serious or not.

If you want to keep building your business then I suggest you move with the times
Thanks for your reply

BUT, I am busy enough so will leave the idiot timwasters to bother others who are sat at a desk all day board and get on with stripping cars and selling parts to people who can be arsed to call

At the end of the day its me selling the parts so i decide how i wish to sell them and if people dont like the way i do business then they can go elswhere and deal with a company who do like to deal with e/mail

I feel its a shame that the personal tough in business is slowly dying
Old 15-02-2007, 10:57 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Over time, you end up with a load of these longwinded very descriptive adverts to post up, it makes you look more professional and it removes the need for people asking you questions anyway.
too true

(i once spent a whole lunch time writing an ebay add )

it could be the difference between Ł500 for the wheels and Ł800

always reply to e-mails (you can still choose to ignore the idiots)

Old 15-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

From what little I know of the subject from a friend of mine who breaks cars for a living (and unlike most actually does well at it financially) and sells mainly on ebay, the trick is that over time you learn what all the questions will be for an item, and just put it all in the advert when you are selling it.

So when you listed those wheels, you should have put "will potentially fit a saph too, but not without major modifications to the rear arches, this isnt soemthing I offer as a service so if you would like to fit them to a saph discuss it with your bodyshop, the offset for their reference is 20mm" or something along those lines

I have to sgree with you chip and your points are good ,,basicly do a description that idiots will understand

the problem is my spelling is that bad i write as little as possible
Old 15-02-2007, 11:03 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with your position on the average Ebay buyer - it is usually utter knob heads that have no intention of buying anything!

That said, if you are not in a position to respond to emails etc. perhaps your transition to Ebay may be a little early? I agree that if you dont have the tools in the workplace, then you wont have time to answer the questions raised, but to be fair, email is the correct way to ask a question about an auction item.

Notwithstanding the idiotic questions that could be answered by reading the description (eg esco wheels fitting on a saph), ask yourself whether the question would be one you would be happy to answer in a telephone call sale. If the answer is yes, then you are being a little harsh!

Still - Ebay sucks balls

JJ
Old 15-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Chip

I have to sgree with you chip and your points are good ,,basicly do a description that idiots will understand
Thats the spirit, although please be aware that no sooner have you written an idiot proof description and someone will invent a bigger idiot. So its a bit of a constant process trying to keep the level of idiocy its written for up to date
Old 15-02-2007, 11:12 AM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

employ an idiot and pay them penuts to look after you ebay side of things, most people just email the seller because when they are on the pc they might not have a phone handy and emails can be picked up whenever, you might not have been open when most of the emails were sent and then people who work in the day might not have time to call you when you are open,

do u still have that RS2000 engine with 66k on it ?
Old 15-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Wait til you put a "BUY IT NOW" price up and you get an email staying would you except a lower amount you want for the item.
Old 15-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by kitchy
employ an idiot and pay them penuts to look after you ebay side of things, most people just email the seller because when they are on the pc they might not have a phone handy and emails can be picked up whenever, you might not have been open when most of the emails were sent and then people who work in the day might not have time to call you when you are open,

His business has a good reputation becuase he (an experienced professional) answers the phone queries and gives accurate answers.

Do you think "an idiot you pay peanuts" will maintain that reputation for him?
Old 15-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Bradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I knowing Replying to emails can take time and you have to deal with Timewasters.

BUT

Remember most people at work wont call and chat about car parts for various reasons, being at work alone is a good one as they may not be allowed non compnay calls or just dont have the time etc.

If sold many things on ebay to people that have mailed me so it is worth the time and effort.

I for one work in a Busy office and wouldnt want people hearing what im buying and would use the email function.

Its 2007 and its the way things work.

If i email someone about a part and i get no reply. I go somewhere else, most people are the same.
Old 15-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes mate its unreal how stupid people are. I am a car trader and sell quite a lot of cars through ebay etc and someone the question you get asked are ridiculous. IMO you just need to persevere with it though.
Old 15-02-2007, 11:30 AM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

Originally Posted by kitchy

His business has a good reputation becuase he (an experienced professional) answers the phone queries and gives accurate answers.

Do you think "an idiot you pay peanuts" will maintain that reputation for him?
i joking about that part mate,
Old 15-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Chip

Just be greatful you dont have to wade through the emails sent to toyota about their recent advertising campaign.

Apparently the adverts where the bird crashes the husbands radio controlled plane etc are "eroding the fabric of our society and responsible for the vengeful attitude that the youth of today have towards each other and in direct contravention with the word of god and christian values of forgiveness" etc
Old 15-02-2007, 11:37 AM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

Just be greatful you dont have to wade through the emails sent to toyota about their recent advertising campaign.

Apparently the adverts where the bird crashes the husbands radio controlled plane etc are "eroding the fabric of our society and responsible for the vengeful attitude that the youth of today have towards each other and in direct contravention with the word of god and christian values of forgiveness" etc
Old 15-02-2007, 11:38 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Crikey I hope they didn't watch the cow flinging on Top Gear on Sunday.
Old 15-02-2007, 11:57 AM
CossieGirl
Miss Doubtsalot

the problem is my spelling is that bad i write as little as possible
My problem is that I absolutely hate to call anyone and certainly in another language
But that's a good reason to get yourself a hubby I suppose
Old 15-02-2007, 12:55 PM
antony215
Escort Rs Turbo

Totally agree that there are ALOT!!! of idiots and timewasters on ebay paul BUT some of them emails may be from genuine buyers willing to pay good money fair play you like to deal on the phone (and i would/do to as you dont get any fuck up's that way) but ALOT of people would rather deal by email/text as some people just dont like to phone(fuck knows why ) like said above it is worth having a quick read of them as some will be genuine buyers just ignore the stupid one's or give them stupid replies
Old 15-02-2007, 01:29 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I frequently use ebay to both buy and sell. If i dont get an answer to a question on something I want to bid on I generally wont bid.

Surely in anything you sell you get time wasters be it over email or by phone?

I know its a pain but you should get more for your items that way.
Old 15-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

gotta add, i normailly view the question, and if its from some idiot, Ie will you take Ł20 for something you knows worth Ł100-Ł200 etc, i wont reply and add his name to my blocked bidder lists, to save future time wasting, tho aint had to do it forawhile.

worst sigle thing i get, is when i state in the auction, cash on collection , no postage, then when it ends you get

" Hi i won the ...item... can you give me a total postage cost and paypal address please"

spazzy cunts, should have their credit cards removed there and then
Old 15-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Them 18" Escos wheels your selling, will they fit a Saph?
Old 15-02-2007, 01:45 PM
CossieGirl
Miss Doubtsalot

Originally Posted by Shorty
And do they come with a warranty
Old 15-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by Shorty
no more like

" them 18" wheels your selling, my son is studying in affrica, due to crime his car whas stolen and he needs some new wheels to continue in his higher eduction, will you accept a cheque for 2500 uk pounds to cover shipping and costs and forwrd the remaining funds left, i trust you trust wothy kind sir."

Old 15-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thanks for the replies people

I think i will try a bit harder and return THE DECENT e/mails and just delete the bloody fools questions ..

Im glad this post didnt turn into the usuall slanging match as it has given me some understandable reasons why people prefer to e/mail

Thanks again peeps
Old 15-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

with yourslef being in the trade it won't take you long to suss out most of the time wasters,

but I would say as others have said , ebay and email messages are the way it works,

+ you will get people asking for an end early price all the time, tho against ebays rules you can avoid a lot of the fees, if I've got a rough idea of what its worth, I make up some silly price, and sometimes get it!

Quick Reply: What is it with idiots on e/bay