General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scrap speed camera petition

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scrap speed camera petition

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/scrapcam/

go on you know you want to.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

done
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Done
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Kiwi_Cossie
Regular Contributor

Cool, its petition day on Passionford! Signed up to the car tax one as well..
Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

sorry but im not signing this

Yes there are to many speed cameras on the road and yes its "rip off britain" but would you want the 20 mph camera scrapped from outside your childs school? hell no.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

If only they actually used the cameras like this. I've been on site at a lot of camera locations and they are fuck all to do with anything as noble as saving lives. Especially as Herts is heading for a bumper year of road fatalaties despite having its highest number of cameras since the partnership was started.

It's all bollocks
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetec Andy

Yes there are to many speed cameras on the road and yes its "rip off britain" but would you want the 20 mph camera scrapped from outside your childs school? hell no.
why?does it ACTUALLY jump out and stop a speeding motorist?or would it just take 2 pretty pics of someone ploughing through the kids?think about it,it doesnt STOP you from speeding,especially if its hidden!
and this petition will achieve fuck all,they make too much money to scrap
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Yes, if the camera was visible your going to slow down, you would be stupid not to.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 PM
richard_syko
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

dont be silly, OF COURSE they work!!

i got banned in 2000 cos i got caught by a gatso on a STRAIGHT peice of duel carrageway doing 88mph, ok the limit was 50 but still, if that camera wasnt there, i would have crashed and died on the STRAIGHT duel carrageway

its a fact, see this months redline mag, that speed cameras do FUCK ALL

in areas where they are used, road deaths have gone UP not down!

they simply are a load of old cunt, and purly there for making money!

edited a million times cos im pissed an cant spell
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, if the camera was visible your going to slow down, you would be stupid not to.
ok,now try that with the road where i live,the school is just after a blind bend on a 50 zone,camera right out side it,AFTER the bend,how many people you reckon would slow down in time for a child?and if youve cloned the car,or are driving on polish plates as a lot do then a camera holds no worries at all,they do NOT enforce any laws,they only reap in the cash for local government!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

yeh but then I guess if you need a speed camera to get you to slow down outside a school then i guess you have bigger issues Speed cameras do fuck all for road safety, road safety is about education and prevention not taking a fucking picture of the crime

jeeez when will people learn
Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

I have seen virtually NO speed cameras outside any schools in my area.

If people need to see a speed camera to force them to slow down without being able to drive responsibly for the conditions around them then they should not be in possession of a driving liscence IMO. There is a difference to speeding and driving responsibly. If there is a camera on a long straight road with a national speed limti, then why does it need a speed camera on it? If there was a bend at the end of this long straight road and the limit dropped to 30 with a school almost immediately after the bend, then a speed camera near the end of the straight road which is well sign posted and illuminated with a big school signs would be a good idea. Not on the straight half way down which allows people to speed back up again if they have slowed, or to just generate revenue.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from all the camera chat, when will people realise that online petitions are a waste of time
Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by martyn
Aside from all the camera chat, when will people realise that online petitions are a waste of time
is that why i havnt done ANY of them lol??

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

they were sayin yesterday on the telly that they are regretting lettin people have on line petitions coz theyre being flooded with people signing them.especially the road pricing one.they cant ignore them either. a million people have already signed the road pricing petition.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by fudgeass

i got banned in 2000 cos i got caught by a gatso on a STRAIGHT peice of duel carrageway doing 88mph, ok the limit was 50 but still, if that camera wasnt there, i would have crashed and died on the STRAIGHT duel carrageway

What's your excuse normally?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Karting
BANNED
BANNED

20mph speed camera outside a school....
BUT NOT AT MIDNIGHT.( WHY CAN'T THEY PUT THEM ON TIMERS
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

They don't operate either at speeds under 30mph either. So they wouldn't be any use in a 20 zone anyway
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
andrewmcnichol

well why if they did scrap cameras the simplest way to solve this issue would be to place a patrol car in place of the speed camera, this way it gets the police in a much needed place to keep weirdos away from schools, it acts a deterent to stop speeding motorists and he can pull people over and not just take two pictures of a speeding motorist with his fingers up at the camera lol
Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
andrewmcnichol

sorry about the typing errors still a very tired from last night and trying to type too fast haha
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Originally Posted by fudgeass

What's your excuse normally?

im always pissed?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
diesel2000
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by martyn
Well sign mine then!!
http://www.petitiononline.com/paul30/petition.html

you know it makes sense, besides ive got a bet that I can get over 100 signatures and its not looking good.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes i know its a bit radical but... could always try teaching the young uns to look before they cross the road
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by Red16

yes i know its a bit radical but... could always try teaching the young uns to look before they cross the road
But if they did that then who would pay the 'No Win No Fee' Solicitors mortgages?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

The school teaches the kids to stop, look and listen.

They also teach them to draw on paper, it doesnt stop them drawing up walls though does it.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The school teaches the kids to stop, look and listen.

They also teach them to draw on paper, it doesnt stop them drawing up walls though does it.
i never drew on walls as a kid, i also used to look left/right before crossing the road, in the same way i look to see whats coming before pulling out of a junction in the car.

People always blame the motorist... "why wasnt he/she driving slower" they never ask "why did the pedestrian not look"

Im all for people driving to the speed limits in built up areas, BUT im also all for pedestrians taking more care when crossing roads etc in built up areas.

Why have some 30mph limits been changed to 20mph? why not change them to 10mph, that would make them even more statistically safe! Speed is not always the reason behind accidents!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Done! Probably wont make the slightest bit of difference but i've done it anyway! They're everywhere where i live and they're multiplying fast!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Chris69
Advanced PassionFord User

i've signed and put it up on another forum aswell
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
silverfox999

Get a grip.

If they whacked up a load of cameras outside every school (taking on board the comments about them potentially not working under 20mph and being on timers (which i think is a great idea btw)), on every dangerous junction in a built up area, etc, etc, etc

Then i think i could safely say everyone on this group would agree with there presence and usage. As it is, they are not and are often placed in hidden locations and i personally believe are there to entrap motorists. Whatever colour they may have been painted....

So i think it a littel twee to not sign to petition on this basis (if it does any good at all....)
Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by silverfox999

Get a grip.
Why? I'm happy theres cameras outside schools and at the end of the day, there painted yellow, theres warning signs before you get to them and the camera locations are posted on the internet. If you still get caught out its your own fault.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
silverfox999

I agree with you. Yet all the schools in my area dont have a speed camera.

I personally would love a massive piggy bank, sorry speed camera, plonked in the middle of the road outside my kids school. No, rephrase that - all schools.

This i believe would be a correct use of them.

As you point out they are brightly coloured, have lots of signs in place yet people still get caught by them.

This is the complete failing in they plan, they are simply reactive and not proactive.

It makes not a jot if you are caught after a cam as it did not change your driving style through the *hazard*. you are simply driving like a cock. A piggy bank will not alter this (unless you do four or more i guess, in this case i agree with them).

If you drive past a school at 8:30am going more than say 20mph then you shouldnt be allowed on the road. I believe most people can grasp this. If you do the same at 8:30pm - well i will leave you to finish that off.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DazC
I have seen virtually NO speed cameras outside any schools in my area.

If people need to see a speed camera to force them to slow down without being able to drive responsibly for the conditions around them then they should not be in possession of a driving liscence IMO. There is a difference to speeding and driving responsibly. If there is a camera on a long straight road with a national speed limti, then why does it need a speed camera on it? If there was a bend at the end of this long straight road and the limit dropped to 30 with a school almost immediately after the bend, then a speed camera near the end of the straight road which is well sign posted and illuminated with a big school signs would be a good idea. Not on the straight half way down which allows people to speed back up again if they have slowed, or to just generate revenue.
That sums it up perfectly IMO
Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
silverfox999

Piggy banks......nothing more, nothing less.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by silverfox999
I believe most people can grasp this. If you do the same at 8:30pm - well i will leave you to finish that off.
Not strictly true, the school near my girlfriends house has regular clubs for under 16's well after school hours, scouts, football practice etc, in fact the floodlit pitch is on the opposite side of the road from the school.

However, i do see your point and agree with you to an extent, some cameras are needed some are not, but if Ł60 and 3 points on my licence are needed to teach me a lesson then so be it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Speed Cameras dont slow you down, In my opinion they are good if you go to an area you dont know as you will be a bit cautious and keep to the limit. But locally you know where they are to slow down for a few seconds and then put your foot down again. In order for them to work fully they would need to be everywhere. Which i dont want before anyone sends me a death threat.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

what about the cheeky cunts in the vans then, that you dont spot until its too late?

they are propper cunts
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Am I the only one who's never seen a single speed camera outside of a school ever......

In London, they are all located on the North Circular or dual carraigeways.

Hmmmm.....

As a matter of principle though, I never sign online petitions.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i have, there is one in coombe down near bath - but that is thee only one i have seen by a school.

the cunt in the van that cought me in weston super mare last november was on a duel carrageway - with a 30mph limit. (i didnt know the area)

now i didnt know it was a 30 as the speed limit sign from the roundabout i pulled out of to the camera van, was AFTER where the fookin van was parked...

and i was doing 50...

still not heard anything back after i sent the NIP off either..
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
silverfox999

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Am I the only one who's never seen a single speed camera outside of a school ever......

In London, they are all located on the North Circular or dual carraigeways.

Hmmmm.....

As a matter of principle though, I never sign online petitions.
Ditto, i agree.

They are NONE by schools in my area either. In fact my Road Angel compact beeps at me to warn about schools and it does not ping me to tell there is a camear.

So, with this in mind, i believe that most people slow for schools. Therefore if most people slow for schools the 50K + investment to install the camera would be kind of a waste.

Now the cynical bit, why not invest that 50k on *dangerous* section of road or behind a tree!!!

Quick Reply: Scrap speed camera petition