General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scrap speed camera petition

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually scrapping all speed cameras might not be the best policy towards speed cameras. A fair usage policy would be good though.

This should ensure that speed cameras are sited prior to schools (not directly ouside the schools) and not in high revenue sites.
100 meters before the camera should be signs indicating that you are about to enter a school zone and that a speed camera is present and that the speed limit is 20 mph past the school.
There should also be an intermediate sign at 50 meters to warn you again. Maybe a sign to show your current speed and marking on the road directly before the camera.

Then once you're through the camera, you pass the school. Safely.

If the camera won't work below 30 and the limit is 20 then fine. At least you know that if the camera is set to 30, cars will in generaly be travelling less than 30.

Maybe warning signs about particularly bad accident black spots would be better than a yellow box at the side of the road. If you are of the frame of mind (vast majority of drivers) that you only see that speed camera as a revenue making machine, then you are not going to slow down and stay at that speed after the camera. This makes the camera absolutely useless at reducing speed and increasing awareness that there may be a bad stretch of road ahead.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:35 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want rid of speed cameras, bomb them - one near my gf's place on a straight two lane road in the middle of nowhere got blown up 6 times in a year. It's not been replaced in two years now. Just so you all know - it wasn't me.

I agree that they have their place, but when they're stuck up just for the fun of it, why bother? Why not invest the 20 grand it takes to install one in something else? Like paying a lollipop man? Or paying a copper to hand out a fixed penalty and some points to the dizzy bint on her phone in her 4x4 with her one spoilt kid in the back, doing her makeup at 80, 6 inches from my bumper on the M1?

Speed cameras don't catch bad driving, just fast driving.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
silverfox999
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cozmeister

Speed cameras don't catch bad driving, just fast driving.
Good point!