General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

all show and no go............

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NIL 7717

torque = a quick rise in speed and bhp=the high speeds
again F1 cars do not accelerate slowly

a fast car uses the powerband available well. ie, close ratio gears, sequential shift, etc etc Torque helps but is not the be all and end all .
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM
baba
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: all show and no go............

Originally Posted by Shings
Originally Posted by col cos1
what does everyone think?????????????????????

im actually sick of all these cossies coming up in the mags with chrome this and polished that under bonnet and claimed outpouts but never put on rollers????????????

you cant fit greens and say 330bhp

or fit greys and say 400 bhp

my car doesnt look great under bonnet but produces what it produces

and im quite happy with what it puts out i just hate all this mine should be so it is........................................
Why not- 25psi and greys = 400+ bhp.

Dont need a dyno to say that
on what turbo and engine spec?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Shings
Originally Posted by bud-weis

some people are genuinely clueless though,and will say what they think is right.....the mag can only write what they have been told i guess

Martin thats exactly what one of the mag writers said last time a post like this was put up..

You turn up with your car and say

" its got 500bhp mate- T34 25psi and greys"
It could have though 350bhp+150bhp nitrous, its not lying.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Torque= drivability, it's all about area under the graph , a 350 BHP car with a huge torque spike will be much faster in the real world than a revvy peaky 500BHP that has to be thrashed everywhere
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MATCOS
Blimey each to their own mate, I can think of at least 2 big power cars that look superb under the bonnet-ESCYSCOTT and Dunccoss, both over 400 bhp Harvey bulit engines I believe, and they look great under the bonnet, whats the issue here, is it that you dont have a shiny engine?
I have a clean and shiny engine bay and have had it on the rollers at the end of last year, on greens it was 325bhp and 356lb ft
most stage 3's do make around this power whether they are dirty or clean, people have ideas and opinions on what looks good, so why talk down chromed and well presented engines?

heres mine-warning this may annoy you

And on the rollers

Or did I miss the point of this post
Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

hers mine............everythings there for a purpose but really this wasent the aim of the topic

Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

whats the purpose of the ford sticker on the left,
Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty86d
There are lots of people with lots of power that produce shit times, which make you wonder how powerful their car is or how shit they are at driving
That aint possible on a Topspeed run if you have the Power your motor will run the times within 5mph or hit the limiter in 5th. The prob is most of these cars dont have their Dynoed Power after 30secs on the throttle.
Its no coincidence that MAD holds the Topspeed records for T38, T4 GT30,GT35 & GT40.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Nick-T

Originally Posted by cossie4i
just reading Pf mag,and there's a grey Fez RST,2.1 zetec with 365bhp@wheels.....on just 18psi boost,with a T34!!! surely this is wrong
I thought this was utter bullsh1t as well

Steve.
Normally I stay out of these threads and post like this, but in this case I feel the need to ask a question.

Why is it bullshit?

You don't know what spec the cylinder head is, you don't know the camshaft lift or duration, you don't know the compression ratio, nor do you know the exact spec of the turbo.

So without all of this information, how can you say that the printed figure is wrong or bullshit?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PF NICK

More importantly than bullshit or non bullshit figures, can you organise a PF cosworth thrash?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Mr Sam

they may claim to be running power so what if they are, all that extra weight in chrome isnt going to help

and personally id rather see a grotty old banger running 10's than a pristine concoure RS500 sat in the pits being judged on how much shiney chrome its got
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Nick-T

I've just re-read my post, and think I may have come across a little harsh. This wasn't the intention, so if offence is taken please accept my apologies.

The point I was trying to make was that without knowing the full spec of the engine, how can you possibly know what it is or isn't capable of?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

PF NICK

Take that is a NO to my question then cheers for the reply
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 AM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

col cos1 - you cant tell the water level at a glance - bin that shiney rubbish! lol
Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Nick-T

Originally Posted by CossieRich
PF NICK

I didn't say no!

I didn't say yes either though
Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by PF NICK
Originally Posted by CossieRich
PF NICK

I didn't say no!

I didn't say yes either though
Well, say you will think about it and see what you can come up with?

I am willing to help out, as im sure a few other are on here. Doing this will allow the majority to put there cars up against one another rather than the minority who have 600 + bhp
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just re-read my post, and think I may have come across a little harsh. This wasn't the intention, so if offence is taken please accept my apologies.

The point I was trying to make was that without knowing the full spec of the engine, how can you possibly know what it is or isn't capable of?
Because when it is a turbo car and you give the spec of the engine, you also tell us what type of turbo is on the car, and every single turbo has a definitive flow limit / capability. The car will physically not make any power beyond this flow limit, UNLESS it is running some other form of getting extra air into the engine (such as NOS). So when a power figure exceeds the actual flow capabilities of the turbo that is bolted onto the car, and it isn't running NOS, you know it's Billy Bullshit .
Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Nick-T

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

Because when it is a turbo car and you give the spec of the engine, you also tell us what type of turbo is on the car, and every single turbo has a definitive flow limit / capability. The car will physically not make any power beyond this flow limit, UNLESS it is running some other form of getting extra air into the engine (such as NOS). So when a power figure exceeds the actual flow capabilities of the turbo that is bolted onto the car, and it isn't running NOS, you know it's Billy Bullshit .
Yes, partly true. But, the spec on this particular car only states 'hybrid T34' which can mean many things and also mean very varied internals. So I say again, without the exact spec of everything fitted to this car, including the flow capabilites of the turbo, how can you say for certain that it doesn't make the power it recorded? Quite simply, you can't.

I'm not going to have a massive discussion about this as I simply don't have the time, I was merely making a point.

Have fun, I'm off to do some work
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

No offence taken Nick.....i expect it puts you in an awkward position when owners tell you the spec

as Mike said though,some things aren't possible regardless of other things we don't know about...although if you printed a full spec we'd have an idea

Anyway,just watched the DVD,loved it....was very very good to watch,even better when on full volume surround sound

Pf Cosworth thrash would rock
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Nick-T

No offence taken Nick.....i expect it puts you in an awkward position when owners tell you the spec

as Mike said though,some things aren't possible regardless of other things we don't know about...although if you printed a full spec we'd have an idea

Anyway,just watched the DVD,loved it....was very very good to watch,even better when on full volume surround sound

Pf Cosworth thrash would rock
Glad you liked the DVD.

No awkward position at all mate, we know the full spec, but due to the huge amount of development work thats gone into the car, the owner asked us not to print it in great detail. Simple as that really.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Furry Muff
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

bud-weis

You got PM
Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

No,i don't do anal Rich
Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Thats not what Mike R told me
Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Anyone interested in a PF cossie thrash see here:

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...asc&highlight=

Have started its own thread to gauge interest
Old 09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by dumped
col cos1 - you cant tell the water level at a glance - bin that shiney rubbish! lol
i only bought that cause i couldnt get hold of a plastic 1 at time of building it,and needed it running

trust me id rather of spent Ł20 on a plastic 1 than Ł150 on that 1
Old 09-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

You time it Nick & then you know, its so annoying when these car go in with these huge Specs that aint been timed or proved. Take this month 750bhp & Autronics SM4 car. Two points it aint been on a Dyno or rollers so only estimated Power & ceratainly aint on an SM4.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

ThePH

Can you answer the PM i sent you please mate
Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont see what the problem is really. Some people prefer to spend their money purely on performance and thrash the car around a track or whatever, and others choose to mildly tune the engine and spend their money on keeping the car mint and on shiny bits. Some however, throw loads of money at both. Fair play either way i say.

I agree though its funny where some get their power figures from though, especially some on ebay.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

people arent necessarly lieing about power figs but i think alot of them guess.

People will think more of your car if it has more BHP but that the way of the world.

Like Rod has always said its all far to easy to build supposed 500 bhp engines and do 180 mph top speeds BUT actaully proving what you have got is totally different all together.

Way i see it that beacuse my car wasnt claiming 600bhp and runing a GT turbo it was an "also ran" at the daddy thash, no one was really interested when we first took it off the trailor and alot of people would have wondered why my car was there.

The top speed i ran proved my car and i still dont know what power it has but im not bothered as i built it for me not for other people.

Im just glad people like Dave and Nick were prepared to give us the chance with my car based on what we told them....

cheers boys
Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i never buy any ford mags now..havent for a year or so

none of my cars were ever on rollers or the engines on dynos but i recon they were around 350-400 bhp one did 183mph another did a 10.3 1/4..imagine how fast 600bhp must be
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cossie4i
just reading Pf mag,and there's a grey Fez RST,2.1 zetec with 365bhp@wheels.....on just 18psi boost,with a T34!!! surely this is wrong
I thought this was utter bullsh1t as well

Steve.
Normally I stay out of these threads and post like this, but in this case I feel the need to ask a question.

Why is it bullshit?

You don't know what spec the cylinder head is, you don't know the camshaft lift or duration, you don't know the compression ratio, nor do you know the exact spec of the turbo.

So without all of this information, how can you say that the printed figure is wrong or bullshit?
PF NICK....so if your mag says..."400bhp with 18psi with t34"..and we say its bullshit...then you say.."you dont know the spec of the turbo..etc etc"...

Do you believe this yourself....

where most engines are fully build with ported heads and a t34@32psi for 400bhp....thats allmost twice the boost...