General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

my 8month old rottie isn't rottweiler enough for me! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 8month old rottie isn't rottweiler enough for me! HELP

has anyone with rottie experience had this sort of behavior thingys!!!

please dont think that i want a mad psyco rottie so if you dont have experence advise or sugestions please dont post anthing

my lil rottie doesn't do a few things i would like him to do cause i bought him for protection and family doggy.

He doesn't bark when someone knocks on the door, he used to when really little but not anymore, he just gets exited
would prefer it if he did bark

He's not very observent when out walking... normally take him out at about 12midnight, he watches people coming towards us but when they get close he totaly loses interest as if they no longer pose a threat.

now look i dont want a mad rottie but i've been around other rotts and they are very observant of public and strangers, always keeping a firm eye on that person without pulling towards them until the "threat" has gone.

one more thing, once a few girls from down my road saw me walking him and wanted to come over and stroke him, when they did he started to get nervous he dosent get beaten up by anyone, just a slap on the thigh or on the muzzle or ear, no excesive slaps, one or two and not hard.

he does play fight with me and he has heart even when he gets over powered by me, he comes back for more.....

This has been playing on my mind for ages so i had to ask for advice.

am i being to harsh on the lil fella and should i wait for him to get older or is he a big softy and always will be

HELP!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a good dog to me, you cant change a dog's temprament unless you give it a hard time, he'll be the dog he wants to be
Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all down to how well bred it is mate..i see many softies which is good...but not really what they should be like...we only have pure German bloodlines much harder to bring up but fooking mental Although i must say they aint IMO dangerous unless provoked or entering there domain....UNLESS they see children they HATE people on the same eye level.

To own them you have to be responsible...but as said this only applies to the proper bred ones.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

there are plenty of dog forums out there.

www.understandinganimals.com
Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Its all down to how well bred it is mate..i see many softies which is good...but not really what they should be like...we only have pure German bloodlines much harder to bring up but fooking mental Although i must say they aint IMO dangerous unless provoked or entering there domain....UNLESS they see children they HATE people on the same eye level.

To own them you have to be responsible...but as said this only applies to the proper bred ones.
hes got really good german bloodlines. cost a fair bit and travelled far too. wanted a really good loking german style rottie. his mum and dad had very good calm tempraments but was told if they had to they could kick off.

he does bark when hes in the garden if he hears people too close or sees fox's or cats and he looks very ferocious so hes got it in him. but as you said things he does isn't what rotts should be like.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

I have the opposite problem to you mate - my boxers bark every time someone farts near the front door, and my labrador just has to go and meet people in the street! My late boxer would only bark if it were pikeys or the old bill at the door though!!

Have you watched Dog Borstal on TV? May be worth trying to get in contact with the trainers on there as they're top
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

with all the stuff in the news about violent dogs, be careful what you wish for!

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
Sounds like a good dog to me, you cant change a dog's temprament unless you give it a hard time, he'll be the dog he wants to be
might hav to start pissing him off more now, and hes got you to thank for the idea
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nervous and rottweiler is a bad combination
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sit him down and get him to listen to Metallica for about 6 hours, and feed him some Stella Artois
4x4

Originally Posted by cozmeister
I have the opposite problem to you mate - my boxers bark every time someone farts near the front door, and my labrador just has to go and meet people in the street! My late boxer would only bark if it were pikeys or the old bill at the door though!!

Have you watched Dog Borstal on TV? May be worth trying to get in contact with the trainers on there as they're top

the Dog Borstal trainers are the shit might do that infact.

your late boxer sounds like a clever chap
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by mrs_cossiemike
with all the stuff in the news about violent dogs, be careful what you wish for!
i know what you mean but theres a thin line between a complete syco violent dog rott and one whos aggressive when he has to be. but i do have very good controll over him and he has firm training.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
i know, he's not normally when my friends are outside and were going up to them but if when were on a walk he gets a bitwierd when people aprroach him, he does get over it after a few secs tho
Old 01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

Originally Posted by 4x4
i know what you mean but theres a thin line between a complete syco violent dog rott and one whos aggressive when he has to be. but i do have very good controll over him and he has firm training.
you need to find someone that can teach him where that fine line is then. go back to doggy training?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

my dog is a black labrador. everyone knows how dosile and sometimes clumsy these dogs are. she rarely, and i mean rarely, barks but if she feels threatened or see's that we feel threatened, her hackle comes up and she will growl and bear her teeth. maybe your dog will do the same he just hasnt had a chance to show it yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

give him time m8, mine took a couple of years to get to the point she is at now,which is to say, a fucking great guard dog,great pet,fine with kids,goes absolutely mental if anyone she hasnt met comes near the house,couldnt ask for a better dog
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
the barking at the door can be cured by giving him a treat when someone knocks and he barks. you will need to train the puppy to do that but have a fair chance its gonna work.

my great dane also doesnt "watch" pedestrians, but once my bird took em out and some idiots walked by that were not good he started defending her. now thats called a natural instinct of the dog, to protect its owner, if you train more than that (biting etc.) you will eventually end up having one of those media dogs....a thin layer of ice that is then.

apart from all that, @ 8 months his personality is not completely formed yet, which means he is more baby still than he will be when 1.5 yrs old.

IMO give the doggy a treat for barking at the door and just wait for him to develop into a mature dog

michael

cheers mate.

but i want him to bark at the door cause you get all sorts of weirdos knocking when im not home, jus mm or sis's. so you saying i can train him to bark at the door?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:53 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by jonsmiff
give him time m8, mine took a couple of years to get to the point she is at now,which is to say, a fucking great guard dog,great pet,fine with kids,goes absolutely mental if anyone she hasnt met comes near the house,couldnt ask for a better dog
what i was thinking in all defence of the giant chiwawa. poor guy, im probably too harsh one him at the mo
Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

Originally Posted by 4x4
the barking at the door can be cured by giving him a treat when someone knocks and he barks. you will need to train the puppy to do that but have a fair chance its gonna work.

my great dane also doesnt "watch" pedestrians, but once my bird took em out and some idiots walked by that were not good he started defending her. now thats called a natural instinct of the dog, to protect its owner, if you train more than that (biting etc.) you will eventually end up having one of those media dogs....a thin layer of ice that is then.

apart from all that, @ 8 months his personality is not completely formed yet, which means he is more baby still than he will be when 1.5 yrs old.

IMO give the doggy a treat for barking at the door and just wait for him to develop into a mature dog

michael

cheers mate.

but i want him to bark at the door cause you get all sorts of weirdos knocking when im not home, jus mm or sis's. so you saying i can train him to bark at the door?
read it again hun. he said to give him a treat when he barks at the door
Old 01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
4x4

[quote="mrs_cossiemike"][quote="4x4"]
the
read it again hun. he said to give him a treat when he barks at the door

O i dooo apologise hun, never saw that part, the only thing is he doesn't bark to start off with
Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

As above, get a mate to knock on the door a lot and make a lot of threatening noise, he will bark then I suspect, when he does, reward him.

Do this a few times and he will soon get the hang of it.

Then eventually it will start to annoy you and you will wish he didnt
Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

make a bit of a fuss and rush around a bit when someone knocks to get him all excited. even if he is excited, he will bark and that will be enough to put the weirdos off. then give him a treat
Old 01-02-2007, 03:02 PM
89xr2
Brap!

You don't want to train the dog to be aggressive when someone comes near you in the street. If you train him for that he will be unsafe! You'll find most dogs will protect their owners if they are in trouble. You don't need to train them to do it.

As for barking at the door, do as chip says. Although again like he says it does get VERY annoying. Especially when you're trying to sleep and the postman turns up.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:03 PM
4x4

As above, get a mate to knock on the door a lot and make a lot of threatening noise, he will bark then I suspect, when he does, reward him.

Do this a few times and he will soon get the hang of it.

Then eventually it will start to annoy you and you will wish he didnt
your probably right about wishing he didn't

good idea tho
Old 01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
4x4

make a bit of a fuss and rush around a bit when someone knocks to get him all excited. even if he is excited, he will bark and that will be enough to put the weirdos off. then give him a treat
Are you calling me a weirdo???? naaa only joking.

you wanna help me train the dog to bark at weirdos, all you gota do is knock on my door
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

Originally Posted by 4x4

you wanna help me train the dog to bark at weirdos, all you gota do is knock on my door
are you callin me a weirdo??

your probably right!

my dog is great. she doesnt even move out of her bed if someone knocks at the door (she is 13 years old however) but if we get her all excited and say 'whos this?' in a stupid voice she barks and runs at the door! shes a good all rounder who needs rotties? hehe
Old 01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by 4x4

are you callin me a weirdo??

your probably right!

my dog is great. she doesnt even move out of her bed if someone knocks at the door (she is 13 years old however) but if we get her all excited and say 'whos this?' in a stupid voice she barks and runs at the door! shes a good all rounder who needs rotties? hehe
Who needs rotties ??????

your dog sounds good. when ever i see a lab i alwyas think how similar their heads are rotties,
Old 01-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i know someone who had a rottweiler who was abused as a puppy and was terrified of plastic carrier bags, he used to cower everytime anyone got one out or went anywhere near him with one he would start crying and cower to the floor

he was really nervous
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
i know someone who had a rottweiler who was abused as a puppy and was terrified of plastic carrier bags, he used to cower everytime anyone got one out or went anywhere near him with one he would start crying and cower to the floor

he was really nervous
nervous dogs normally get violent in situations which make them nervous and its a bit worse when they're big or very strong naturally aggressive dogs cause its hard to control them
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

well, people used to think my dog was a rottie or a doberman cos she has no tail. it got injured and infected and had to be docked. she is muscley too as she is not pure bred so people used to get confused
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
4x4

well, people used to think my dog was a rottie or a doberman cos she has no tail. it got injured and infected and had to be docked. she is muscley too as she is not pure bred so people used to get confused
probably not as good looking as my lil rottie tho
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've got all this to come pick my Victorian Bulldog up in 15 days.

Will look like this

Been told it will come natural to protect and be loyal but they are very gentle dogs so doubt i will see it getting nasty but is nice to no it will if needs must.

My m8 has a big rottie and he barks every time someone comes to the door and he is a bit intimidating but obvisouly does the job. Hopefully yours will learn in time with some well placed exercises as Chip has said etc.

Good luck m8.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

My GSD bitch never barked at any noise or the door until she was well over a year old. Now she barks at every damned noise from outside and on firework night, she barks at every firework that's let off.

Also, she now ignores people when out on a walk and stays close to me when I take her across the fields and she sees someone, she'll eye them suspiciously, but she isn't nervous when people approach and want to stroke her, she likes it when they do.

Start to worry about your dog's temperament when he's 12 months old and more of an adult dog.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

why the fuck do you want your dog to be more "nasty"??
total chavness and unfair on the dog, get a life and stop being stupid
Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 89XR2
You don't want to train the dog to be aggressive when someone comes near you in the street. If you train him for that he will be unsafe! You'll find most dogs will protect their owners if they are in trouble. You don't need to train them to do it.
I've found that with our old labs and retrievers.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:04 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Our black lab has just grown up to be like that he doesnt bark at the door when it goes, but a few things that have happened make me realise he will be a bit of a guard dog, first instance was when id got out of the shower and went into the room he was in with a towel round my head, like us women dog, and i woke him, he didnt recognise him, and started barkign at me, didnt attempt to bite me though and came running over to me all excited when he realised it was me.

Other times we have come to the back door, and he has ben asleep on the counch (you can see through the patio windows) and he started barking...

But when we are in the house he's quiet as a mouse

When me and STu walk him he pulls on the lead and dont really pay much attention to people walking past, but when i took him out on my own, he didnt leave my side, and when some guy was walking towards me, he didnt take his eyes off them...even watched them right past me...

It is stange but i think if they KNOW you or your/their teritory needs protecting they will do all they can for you!!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Your dog sounds completely normal mate,it`s you who have the problem......He is still very young and you need to allow him to develop his temperament,not teach him to be aggressive......

Rottwielers will not normally bark in their own close enviroment,they are a stealthy animal and simply wait for someone to intrude into their space and they will then defend it aggressively,this is why they have a scary reputation.......you do not know they are there until they have got you..

Just give him the normal love and attention and the respect he deserves and i`m sure he`ll grow up to be a normal well rounded dog...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

So much bollocks here.

As said by the Diva you NEVER teach a Rottweiler aggression its FATAL...i have had many Rotties and my very first one i was just like you...didnt seem aggressive enuff so i made him attack carboard before he got his dinner ...well when he matured he was DANGEROUS i loved that dog a few met him Kane..RIP...he put me in hospital by biting my hand whilst playing yes his teeth met Many will know this is true as i was in the scene back then

He will get it with age they dont mature till upto 5 years old..PLUS you shouldnt neuter him until he is fully matured or they stay babyish.

Rott can be your worst enemy BELEIVE ME...another male we had RIP Jack was also a head case (all properly bred) i had a mate come round and i brought him out on a lead to see his reaction...my mate was motionless so was jack..then he lauched for his throat.... ...nutters never underestimate one........we dont have many visiters Our 2 girls here now are young but one of em is soooo protective but then our arnt really socialised as noone want to stroke em...and one of em when young pee'ed on there feet thru excitement ..So this also makes them better guards non socialisation.

BE VERY CAREFUL i been there done it..awesome beast but to be respected.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
baba
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default Re: my 8month old rottie isn't rottweiler enough for me! HEL

Originally Posted by 4x4
has anyone with rottie experience had this sort of behavior thingys!!!

please dont think that i want a mad psyco rottie so if you dont have experence advise or sugestions please dont post anthing

my lil rottie doesn't do a few things i would like him to do cause i bought him for protection and family doggy.

He doesn't bark when someone knocks on the door, he used to when really little but not anymore, he just gets exited
would prefer it if he did bark

He's not very observent when out walking... normally take him out at about 12midnight, he watches people coming towards us but when they get close he totaly loses interest as if they no longer pose a threat.

now look i dont want a mad rottie but i've been around other rotts and they are very observant of public and strangers, always keeping a firm eye on that person without pulling towards them until the "threat" has gone.

one more thing, once a few girls from down my road saw me walking him and wanted to come over and stroke him, when they did he started to get nervous he dosent get beaten up by anyone, just a slap on the thigh or on the muzzle or ear, no excesive slaps, one or two and not hard.

he does play fight with me and he has heart even when he gets over powered by me, he comes back for more.....

This has been playing on my mind for ages so i had to ask for advice.

am i being to harsh on the lil fella and should i wait for him to get older or is he a big softy and always will be

HELP!
get an american bulldog then and it will be mean and also fucking maul you!!!

the rottys only a pup give him till 2 when there brain matures and you should see a change.you dont want an angry one i know people who had them and had to be put down.

Quick Reply: my 8month old rottie isn't rottweiler enough for me! HELP