General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New Fiesta 1.6 Tdci Zetec-S

Search this Thread

Old 20-01-2007 | 04:49 PM
Chris-S2
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default New Fiesta 1.6 Tdci Zetec-S

Has anyone drove one of these? Or got any information on them? I went looking for a car today and stumbled across it at a dealer. It looks nice enough with the leather seats and St Bumpers (I think they're the same anyway) but i'm just curious on the performance side with it only been 90bhp.

Is there any tuners on here that can remap it? And if there is what gains could I be looking at?

Also can anyone tell me why the new focus with the same engine is 110bhp?

Any information and opinions welcome

Chris
Old 20-01-2007 | 04:57 PM
Chris-S2

Forgot to say I'm not dead set on getting a ford diesel so if you can recommend another car feel free to give me some info on them, but it's got to be diesel and a max of 10k.

Chris
Old 20-01-2007 | 05:36 PM
89xr2
Brap!

My brother has one. Nice car, it only has 90bhp but I think it's something like 170ftlbs of torque. Not that fast in first or second gear from a standing start (same as pretty much all diesels) but once it gets going it's pretty fast point to point and alot of fun. Really good handling and brakes. I think it's actually rated as being faster than the petrol one point to point and is alot more desirable than the petrol zetec-s and even the st due to being not much slower, the posibilty to do 70mpg and the fact that it only costs £50 to tax it for a year as it's one of the new breed of diesels.

I have no idea about tuning as my brothers is completely standard but it's a good fun nippy little car
Old 20-01-2007 | 05:41 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not driven one but the 1.6 tdci focus is a very good performer.

Does it have to be a new car? tdi 150 golf would be top of my list. 2.0 tdci focus is quite nice aswell.
Old 20-01-2007 | 05:42 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

if your thinking of buying new,,,, give my mate a try

http://www.purplecontracts.com/

give them a call and ask for steven (say gareth told you to call) they will save you alot off list price
Old 20-01-2007 | 05:42 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

It depends on the engine it has... it could be a different engine or more liely its just remapped

They are mostly limited in 1st and 2nd to protect gearboxes.... hence it feels fast in other gears.

Of course Ford might have stopped doing that and its just slow in 1st and 2nd LOL

Alex
Old 20-01-2007 | 05:56 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

there was a standard 1 in a fast ford rolling road session a while back,

it made 105 or 110bhp, cant remember which.

good cars, my mates mum had one for a while, good handling and was excellent on the fuel, with the ST kit i think it looks quite good,

get it chipped for the best effect, should release a good few bhp and loads more torque
Old 20-01-2007 | 06:05 PM
Chris-S2

Originally Posted by 89XR2
My brother has one. Nice car, it only has 90bhp but I think it's something like 170ftlbs of torque. Not that fast in first or second gear from a standing start (same as pretty much all diesels) but once it gets going it's pretty fast point to point and alot of fun. Really good handling and brakes. I think it's actually rated as being faster than the petrol one point to point and is alot more desirable than the petrol zetec-s and even the st due to being not much slower, the posibilty to do 70mpg and the fact that it only costs £50 to tax it for a year as it's one of the new breed of diesels.

I have no idea about tuning as my brothers is completely standard but it's a good fun nippy little car
Thats pretty good to hear, i'm not one for racing from the lights but I like to have enough power to overtake and throw it round a few b roads and I think thats why I like the idea of the fiesta as people say they handle nice. How come it only costs your brother £50 a year to tax? I thought it was only below 1500cc or something daft?

James- I'm looking for a new/ nearly new car and I no how good the golfs are and how they perform (I started off looking at VAG engined cars) but for some reason I just don't like the way they look ( maybe its cos the majority I see have stupid light etc )

Gareth T- I'll make a note of that

AlexF- I thought it was just a remap thing that might have made the difference from the focus but someones just told me they use a smaller turbo and different fuel systems
Old 20-01-2007 | 06:08 PM
Chris-S2

Originally Posted by Mr Orange
there was a standard 1 in a fast ford rolling road session a while back,

it made 105 or 110bhp, cant remember which.

good cars, my mates mum had one for a while, good handling and was excellent on the fuel, with the ST kit i think it looks quite good,

get it chipped for the best effect, should release a good few bhp and loads more torque
Thanks for that, I was suprised it was a diesel at first glance with the kit on them. I don't suppose you no where to get them mapped properley from do you?

Chris
Old 20-01-2007 | 06:10 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Apparently its one of the new super efficient diesels so it's dirt cheap to tax. It's gone down since my brother got it as well. First year he had to pay like 80 for the year and this year it was only 50 odd quid. It's definitely quick enough for overtaking etc. and is brilliant on B roads. It's really really grippy.
Old 20-01-2007 | 06:12 PM
89xr2
Brap!

It's not the ST kit, it's just the same bumpers etc. as the petrol Zetec-S. St is the next model up. I think the St has slighty different bumpers, discs on the back (zetec-s has drums) and 17" wheels as standard and the ride is stiffer, my brothers is a pretty harsh ride so i have no idea what an st would be like. Zetec-S has 16" wheels which imo look better than the 17's anyway.
Old 21-01-2007 | 08:18 AM
Chris-S2

It's not the ST kit, it's just the same bumpers etc. as the petrol Zetec-S. St is the next model up. I think the St has slighty different bumpers, discs on the back (zetec-s has drums) and 17" wheels as standard and the ride is stiffer, my brothers is a pretty harsh ride so i have no idea what an st would be like. Zetec-S has 16" wheels which imo look better than the 17's anyway.
Cheers for clearing that up, I thought it would have a few differences from the St but not really had a look at them side by side. I think i'm going to book a test drive, does anyone know if they'll let me take it on a motorway? It's only 2 minutes away from the garage and I want to no what it'll cruise like for those long journeys.

Chris
Old 21-01-2007 | 08:56 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chris-S2
Cheers for clearing that up, I thought it would have a few differences from the St but not really had a look at them side by side. I think i'm going to book a test drive, does anyone know if they'll let me take it on a motorway? It's only 2 minutes away from the garage and I want to no what it'll cruise like for those long journeys.

Chris
they have nowt to hide so they should let you go on the motorway, afterall it is what your buying it for.

i don't think the zetec s tdci comes with the sideskirts like the st and the rear exhaust cutout is not there neither.

try ukfn for more info as there is more chance of finding more info on there.

as for tuning i think Dreamscience has done a bluefin type program for more performance. (might be only the St tho)

A graphite grey one with Black Team dynamics prorace in 16inch lowered look
Old 21-01-2007 | 01:54 PM
Chris-S2

Originally Posted by wirralphil
Originally Posted by Chris-S2

Chris
they have nowt to hide so they should let you go on the motorway, afterall it is what your buying it for.

i don't think the zetec s tdci comes with the sideskirts like the st and the rear exhaust cutout is not there neither.

try ukfn for more info as there is more chance of finding more info on there.

as for tuning i think Dreamscience has done a bluefin type program for more performance. (might be only the St tho)

A graphite grey one with Black Team dynamics prorace in 16inch lowered look
Gave them a ring today and they said I can take it where ever I've just registered on ukfn but no signs of anyone having there's mapped, it seems the 1.4tdci is the popular choice