General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Never buy a Nokia N80 !!

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2007, 04:40 PM
MichaelG
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never buy a Nokia N80 !!

After 4 months of arguing, i have finally finally managed to get somewhere with my faulty N80 and O2.

Started off when i upgraded my old contract phone, and was recommended to go for the Nokia N80 after reading some Online reviews etc. I should have paid more attention to the NEGATIVE comments though....

After a month or so of receiving the phone from O2, it started to go VERY slowly, would freeze completely, would switch itself off mid-text, open itself in my pocket and dial numbers, and take about 90-120 seconds just to send a text message !

Called O2 and they said to send it back and they would replace it with another one no probs. So i did. I returned it and used my old phone for 3 days and received a package in the post from O2. Opened it up and here was a phone where the slide mechanism was very loose, not impressed.

Phoned them up and was informed that if you have had the phone longer than a month they will only supply a "refurbished" item. SUPERB i said, so i have returned my brand new one month old phone, and in return have received a shoddy slack second hand refurbed phone some Chav has probably had in his Nova.

Was told to return it again but i would again get a refurbed one. No amount of arguing changed that so i did, and recived another a week later......was a lot better this time, good mechanism, immaculate and on i went, Installed all my settings etc, mem card, contacts etc......low and behold a week later......same problems as the first phone....

I searched the 3G forums, and found details of some MAJOR software / firmware issues with the N80 that Nokia were freely admitting. Apparently version 1 firmware had issues, and all refurbed phones should have version 2 installed.

I returned the phone again to 02. and asked to have one returned with Version 2 firmware......5 days later nothing, so i called and was told they didnt have any new or used refurned N80's in stock......so am stuck with my old phone for another couple of days....

N80 arrives and immediately i look into it, and its got Version 1 firmware installed.......use it for a week or so, and yup............low and behold, phone starts crashing, locking up, freezing etc etc etc...

Phone up again raging this time saying i dont want an N80 again and they say thats all i can have as i need to have returned my phone 4 TIMES BEFORE I CAN ASK FOR ANOTHER PHONE !!! 4 TIMES WTF ???? GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE ????

Anyways, i waste my breath again and return it again last week......ANOTHER N80 comes in the post, same as before it has Version 1 firmware, and also the slidfe mechanism is worn and loose.....

Totally lost the plot, didnt even put my SIM into it, and phoned 02 up....am told that because its my 4th one, i can ask for another phone of equal value. So they "submit a form" and i am told i will get a return call with a list of phones i can have within 24 hours from Customer Services.

Next day i do indeed get a call. And the guy states they can only give me a Nokia N73. AFTER i had clearly said i dont on any terms want another bloody Nokia of ANY model.

He aint interested in the slightest, so i ask to be put through to Customer Sales Accounts dept and ask to have my account cancelled as i am fed up of this. They have had my upgrade phone in for swap MORE THAN I HAVE HAD THE THING HERE.

So they tell me they cant do that as i will need to pay up the rest of my monthly line rental for 8 months for them to cancel it. Really close to exploding now, so i am passed to a Supervisor who informs me that i should have been offered ANY phone that O2 Online have in stock of an equal or lesser value than my own. Not just one.

So i say that i would like to change from Nokia and go to another manufacturer. The rather foxy sounding girl now tells me that she has a Sony Ericsson k800i and its amazingly good. So wven though this phone is newly out, i ask for this one and she has it approved immediately by her line manager. No problems.

So why couldnt they just do this in the first place ????

Trying to fob me off with 4 refurbed Nokia N80's and a shitty N73 as a replacement. But if i kick up enough stink they give me a brand new K800i.....i also mentioned the fact to foxy girl that i had been with O2 for 12 years on a contract now and should i really need to go through all this hassle and she was pretty shocked, as was her line manager to hear of the hassle.

Anyways the K800i arrived today, i dont have a clue how to use it as i have always been a Nokia man, and am away to start a nightshift at 7pm lol.....on a plus i did manage to get the door and boot shuts on the Series 1 degreased and polished today

Anyone else think some aspects of Nokias SUCK nowadays ?
Old 16-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found the old 3110 crap. It could be locked and go still into the phone book and dial random numbers while in your pocket and sometimes you were lucky to get 48hours out of the battery, even though it stated up to about 270 hours or something stupid.
Old 16-01-2007, 04:52 PM
rugged rick
PassionFord Regular

oh dear!!!!i currently have a samsung d600 and im due an upgrade in a month or so and was thinking about getting the NEW nokia N95 with 5megapixel camera but after reading this im beggining to have second thoughts and might go with the sony ericsson .my bro has the old N70 and he also said that his is slow at times,just like the idea of a 5meg camera tho
Old 16-01-2007, 04:55 PM
MichaelG

Oh yeah that was another thing, i had to charge it every single evening and was lucky if i would make it until 10pm at night without a low battery beep !!
Old 16-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a k800i .. sent it back the next day .. pony menu system
got a nokia n93 now and love it
Old 16-01-2007, 05:32 PM
phil4x4saph

I wont have another sony erricson either.

I've got a P900 which is an AWESOME phone, except the buttons on the flip dont work, and a K750i with a fucked joystick!

I hear newer nokias are crap these days too.

Think I might go Samsung next time.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:20 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Michael, you needed V4.623 firmware in the N80 with the SMS accelerator software. I'm suprised O2 didn't do this but then O2 are shite. Mine has been pretty good to be honest. Only a couple of little issues with it.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MichaelG I agree with you some of these nokias are pretty crap these days, i too am with O2 but i've got a 6680 & the damn thing wont send text messages, phoned them up to ask for help & they said the contacts on the sim card were dirty so cleaned the simcard tryed again still wouldn't send a text so put the simcard in another phone & it was letting me send texts.

Spoke to O2 again told them it was still not working & now displaying a message on screen that the general memory is full so i've reset the phone moved all files onto the memory card & the damn thing is still not working.

So now i have a fucked nokia but due an upgrade soon so going to grin & bear it
Old 16-01-2007, 09:44 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why didn't you just update the software yourself ??

I have a Nokia N70 and an N73 and can't fault them
Old 17-01-2007, 09:39 AM
mick

i'm stuck with the n80 for another year..( damn 18 month contract) this is my third one i'm going to upgrade the software when i get the chance but it really is a pita....
Old 17-01-2007, 09:46 AM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i cant fault the k800i, had the k750i before it as well and they are the 2 best phones i have used!
Old 17-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'upgraded' to an N73 from a 6230i, hated everything about it!

Slow clumsy menus, disapointing camera, hardly any shortcuts, no smileys in texts(!), total pain in the arse... sent it back and ended up renewing my contact with a nice new 6230i again
Old 17-01-2007, 04:11 PM
MichaelG

SO ON THE WHOLE..............

Nokia are shit !
Old 17-01-2007, 04:22 PM
addiction

Originally Posted by MichaelG

Nokia are shit !
how true
Old 17-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Escy

I've had loads of problems with my Nokia 6280, won't be having another Nokia again.
Old 17-01-2007, 04:24 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

The slow messaging and random lockups are same on my N73. wank!
Old 17-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

had a nokia 3330 for 5 years and it never had one problem.. even though its been in water, dropped on a dual carridge way and had a general beating from me

now thats retired i had a new one for christmas a Samsung E900.. takes a while to get used to the touch pads but its an Awesome phone!!
Old 17-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

samsung are deffo getting their mobiles right .. top fones and top picture quality too
Old 17-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelG

Nokia are shit !
Nokia used to be the shit up until the 6230i, but sadly now they are just plain old shit
Old 17-01-2007, 05:23 PM
KregRS

Cos of my crap credit rating I have to get payg, so if I want a decent phone have to buy it sim free. Bought a 6680 in 2005, cost fair bit of cash, and after a month I had problems. So I took it back to the shop, where they sent it off and week later was called in to shop to collect 'new' one, where it was explained it was a refurb. So, after a few words were exchanged, I told them that just over a month before I'd parted with Ł400 for a phone, only for it to go wrong and be offered a refurb as a replacement, I wasn't happy. This was all said rather loudly so other customers could hear, and after a few walked out I was told they'd see what they could do. Said that wasn't good enough, I wanted a brand new phone from stock to replace my month old faulty phone or I'd stay there all day and create hell in front of more customers.

I left the shop with a brand new 6680, and Ł10 quid top up, apparently a goodwill gesture.
Old 17-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

n80 is wicked! Had it for for 6 months now and it aint missed a beat!
Old 17-01-2007, 08:25 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

People who are having problems Nokias....

Click for the SMS accelerator. Down load and install to phone...

http://europe.nokia.com/A4149142

Click for the firmware upgrade. You need a USB lead and do exactly what the updater tells you to...

http://europe.nokia.com/A4176089?N80

Can also work on other models....