General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

GAS LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2007, 10:13 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS LEAK

Just moved into my new house with the misses, its our first house after living with parents, great i though

However there is a massive gas leak! It took us a day to figure out the gas meeter and how to work the bolier, when it was all up and running, the radiators getting warm, hot water fromt he taps, the isses was so happy!

Then we went into the kitchen and could hear and smell the gas streaming out, at first we thaught it was the gas pipe that connects to the back of the cooker hadnt been blocked of, and it hadnt, so they got blocked of.

Tried it again and the high teck kit said gas was coming from under the floorboards.

As im not a gas man i think there are 2 options, dig up the floor boards and the concrete to check, or re-routwe the pipe, up the wall, throught the roof and back in to the kitchen

Are there any other options to keep costs down, as you can imagine, were both 22, spent all our money kitting it out and now this

for fook sake
Old 15-01-2007, 10:25 AM
toff
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

One option and only one, is phone the gas man.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:27 AM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with toff

if you have a gas leak phone the gas man,

he will find the problem straight away
Old 15-01-2007, 10:31 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i phoned the gas man, he spent an hour trying to stop the gas flowing out of the gas cooker hose connection, he stoped that but then seen that ther was still a leak so he blocked the meter off!

i got a gas man coming round tonight to look at it
Old 15-01-2007, 10:35 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how skint you are mate, dont touch gas unless you know what your doing!!!! It will kill you in your sleep! Im lucky, a lad in a local RS group works for british gas so he came out to plumb up my hob when i moved the kitchen around.....I personaly aint fussed about working with electricity or water but when it comes to gas you have to be very carefull imo.

Be carefull yoof

Stu.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:36 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

get the gas man out
he'll find the leak
epair it if he can
turn off the supply if he can't
stick labels on everything so you can't tamper with it either
then get on the blower to find the local corgi registered fitted who can do the job for you

how old is the house? the pipes now come in different sizes as we found to our cost (my brother, not being the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to anything to do with tools, put a screw through the gas pipe, even when i told him not to put any screws into the floorboards at that point because there was a gas pipe running underneath them, which was the old school standard 3/4 fitting, and when the gas man came and only had 22mm pipe to patch it up with, we had to fork out for new pipes and boiler and all sorts)
Old 15-01-2007, 10:41 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
get the gas man out
he'll find the leak
epair it if he can
then get on the blower to find the local corgi registered fitted who can do the job for you

how old is the house? the pipes now come in different sizes as we found to our cost (my brother, not being the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to anything to do with tools, put a screw through the gas pipe, even when i told him not to put any screws into the floorboards at that point because there was a gas pipe running underneath them, which was the old school standard 3/4 fitting, and when the gas man came and only had 22mm pipe to patch it up with, we had to fork out for new pipes and boiler and all sorts)
thats exacly whats happened, stickers on everything now and corgi plumber coming over tonight

Trending Topics

Old 15-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

As said mate, when it comes to stuff like gas, unless you are Corgi trained, ring the gas board and let them sort it out!!!!!
Old 15-01-2007, 10:48 AM
toff
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by lukeytheduke
Originally Posted by dojj
get the gas man out
he'll find the leak
epair it if he can

thats exacly whats happened, stickers on everything now and corgi plumber coming over tonight

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy your new home .
Old 15-01-2007, 10:55 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

same thing happened to me, but mine was a dodgy fire, just moved in and within a day they shut the gas off and i had to pay for a corgi man.
Old 15-01-2007, 11:03 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by topaz
same thing happened to me, but mine was a dodgy fire, just moved in and within a day they shut the gas off and i had to pay for a corgi man.
its a right coont isnt it, it made kate so happy to finally get warm water and radiators, you should of seen her face, i was gauranteed a nigth of hot passion and then within one minute its all over! The gas not the sex lol
Old 15-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

Default Gas Leak

Probably not gonna be much help but turn the gas on leave a lit match in the room then run the resulting fire ball will destroy yours and everyone elses house in the street then you can claim of the robbing sh~4 bag insurance company sorry mate gas man is the only way forward Alex.
Old 15-01-2007, 11:18 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When does PassionFord get its official house warming invite then?
Old 15-01-2007, 12:06 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we thought the house was great
but when we found out we had to gut the place to bring it up to spec we were a little mroe than pissed off

the new gas pipe now runs outside the main wall, and it was a peice of piss to do but you've got to have tape on it telling people what it is and the persons badge number or soemthing to show to the people who insure the house and all sorts of shit

Ł1600 later and it's all done, but it felt like a right

what didn't help was my old mans mate who said he was a propler gas man and turned out he wasn't when he put the same 22mm pipe into the 3/4 fitting and then used solder to fill the holes
Old 15-01-2007, 12:37 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossie604
When does PassionFord get its official house warming invite then?
when the gas is done in a week hopefully, you can travel down to kent if you want!!