General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

the end of 2pack paints, will the new paints match

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts
Default the end of 2pack paints, will the new paints match

i do beleive that in the next couple of months all 2 pack paints & primers are no longer legal to use

the new laws state water based paints only y freind in the bodyshop business told me

just wonder if there gonna be able to get decent colour matches with the 2 different types?

any 1 got more info on this?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use water based "base" coat but still use 2pack lacquer. Colour match is fine

Smudge
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Colour matches are ment to be even better

But 2k will be around for some time yet ans also as Smudge said 2k clear coat as long as it is high solid will continue to be used
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all solid colours are 2k same as primers and clear coat , we only use water base paint on metalic colours , the blend and colour match seems to work very well , even better than with 2k from what i seen at work!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

is the new paint alot safer than 2K then? Whats the cost like?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rssteve
is the new paint alot safer than 2K then? Whats the cost like?
Well thats the strange part mate, its the hardner thats the dangerous bit and that aint used in base coat, only clearcoat, soild colour and primers (which can still be all used)

As for the price....... More expensive, but it does cover a bit better

Oh and its an arse hole to get dry (unless you have a booth with blowers) and you have to use a different spraying style, ie instead of going round the whole car coat by coat, you have to paint the whole of one panel (say 3 coats) then move on to the next panel.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
smudgerz

One of the things that maybe a pain to some smaller body shops is that water base paint needs to be "air" dried. So the booths have to be fitted with some sort of blowers.

Smudge
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

I'm sure that in one of the classic magazines that it has been agreed the UK are going to be able to still use 2 pack for some classic/restoration applications

Z
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
smudgerz

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I'm sure that in one of the classic magazines that it has been agreed the UK are going to be able to still use 2 pack for some classic/restoration applications

Z
The problem is the laquer, with 2k, as soon as they come out the oven they bet polished and out the door. With water based, im sure you have to leave them overnight before buffing. Thats know use to a body shop like ours that turns out around 50 cars a day.

Smudge
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by smudgerz
Originally Posted by cabrio zo

Z
The problem is the laquer, with 2k, as soon as they come out the oven they bet polished and out the door. With water based, im sure you have to leave them overnight before buffing. Thats know use to a body shop like ours that turns out around 50 cars a day.

Smudge
Mate as far as i now, 2k clearcoat will continue to be used as long as its high solid, so should not make any difference.

Also as Zoe says 2k will be around for a long time, its being band to be made in this country, but my paint supplier gets all their paint from Spain so wont bother them
Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
bigpower
PassionFord Post Troll

All distribution have this year to sell of there stocks ( eg Brownbros,carlac,fleet,morrelli etc etc ) Its illegal for distributors to buy Solvent from supplier now, so it all depends how much stock they have?

Clearcoat needs to be no more than 420grams of solvent, so all the MS and Non complient HS clears will go.
420 clear with the right bake time doesnt have to be left! Some shops are even using UV clear, which can be dried in 6 minutes, demasked after 9 and buffed! Expensive, but ideal for busy shops or smart repair.

Water is also fine aslong as the bodyshops have an oven plus some type of blowers!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM
escrst
Regular Contributor

my mate runs his own bodyshop and ha paied in water based since he was an apprentice. all big body shops have been sngwaerbsed for years it is nothing new.
now he is out on his own he still uses water based where he can in his make shift oven ie white roon, sealed off, insulated, big extractor fan, lots of lights and fukin great blow heater.

he gets very good results and even in a mock up oven it dries quick enough to turn a panel round from paint to being buffed in under 1 hr. also as water based doesnt dry as quick ie as soon as it hits the panel you dont get as much patchy look with metalic as the metalic doesnt "stand up as you lot say"

also how many times have you boys painted something and its reacted
with water based paint it doesnt react so less time spent painting stuff twice any way thats my rant over with and i aint even a painter
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
smudgerz

Originally Posted by escrst
also how many times have you boys painted something and its reacted
with water based paint it doesnt react so less time spent painting stuff twice any way thats my rant over with and i aint even a painter
The only time it reacts is when you dont let the base dry properly before you bang the laquer on.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigpower
All distribution have this year to sell of there stocks ( eg Brownbros,carlac,fleet,morrelli etc etc ) Its illegal for distributors to buy Solvent from supplier now, so it all depends how much stock they have?
Believe me that have brought fuckin shit loads! They emptied our warehouse and we struggled to fill the fucker up again!

You can use Primers and HS colours if the solids are over 55%....as said above....But there are not many HS basecoats over 30% never mind 55

There are lots of basecoats u won't be able to use but out of the PPG/ICI primers range u can only not use 3. P565-597 etch primer, p565-554 matting agent and D834 (PPG epoxy non chromated primer)

The UV primer is quite a good pruduct, believe me it's a total cunt to make!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM
escrst
Regular Contributor

hi im the one that owns the bodyshop. as for having to put three coats on one panel then move onto the next isnt true if you done this you would end up with six coats on the last panel this is obviously why you have trouble drying it and that leads to the next problem reacting when you laquer obviously you dont dry it properly. i have been painting with water based for about the past eight years and never really had a problem. its far better than solvent based in my opinion but its what you are used to i suppose.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the thing with this is that it only aplies to cars so you can still get 2k and say its for comercial use
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

THis is all very confusing.

As far as i can tell, 2k solid is still easily available?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
stusfesta
PassionFord Regular

All the 2k stuff will be round for a while yet, its the insurance companies way of getting the smaller bodyshops out of buisness so all the work comes to the their approved bodyshops. Waterbase is by far a lot better, just i lttle more expensive.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Waterbase better? I was under the impression it wasn't. There is no waterbase laquer is there?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
stusfesta
PassionFord Regular

yeah its a lot safer to use and for enviroment etc plus it covers easyer
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

i know it's safer, but i heard it doesn't cover as well. 2pack covers VERY well imo. It's rock hard, and flats/buffs to a mirrow, plus is durable.

You sure water base is better?
Old 15-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Water base is the future Rick

The days of Xlyene are gone