General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who dont use there amal valve and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default who dont use there amal valve and why?

preferbaly on a cossie are they really needed and do chips usually recognise these or not?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate

I have removed mine, as I use a Blitz Boost Controller, which frankly does a better job! The boost controller uses dual solenoids to control boost, which can be set on either an RPM or Speed calibration (4 target settings). I use mine in a more simple way - set the boost, and it then tries to achieve it.

The Amal valve provides limited boost control to the ECU, but this way, the Boost is regulated by the controller, and the ECU maps to that boost.

I know that you need to be careful, as if you exceed the boost that the car has the fuel and the map to accommodate, then you will make the engine go bang! Remove the amal valve, and you remove one of the ways that the ECU can compensate.

Please correct me anybody if I am wrong!

This is in a 2WD cos

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

my escoss does not have a amal valve on it never had one on it when a got it running greens and 23psi no problems so far
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Homer.
9500RPM torqueless wonder

They are getting used less because they are obsolete, There are just better ways of controlling boost eg the blitz controller mentioned above
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine worked fine at 34psi peak on t34 with greys. didnt need complicated ways of managing boost as i prefer to keep things simple,want to go slower?use less throttle!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i used an MSD air injector in place of the lektron valve on my car.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
mine worked fine at 34psi peak on t34 with greys. didnt need complicated ways of managing boost as i prefer to keep things simple,want to go slower?use less throttle!
I would have to say dont be too fast to turn away from technology! I agree that sometimes things can be best left simple, but the boost controller allows so much flexibility, and to be honest allows me to change the specs very very simply indeeed. Also - when letting others drive - boost may be switched down. When car going in for work by people I dont know - boost is switched completely back!!!!!

JJ

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nothing against other people using it matey,but to me i prefer things simple,for me i want things set up properly ONE way!suspension,or boost,or gears or anything really,this stops me playing about with it and fooking it up!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nothing against other people using it matey,but to me i prefer things simple,for me i want things set up properly ONE way!suspension,or boost,or gears or anything really,this stops me playing about with it and fooking it up!
This I fully respect!!!

Sadly I was a born tinkerer! I was the kid that took his new toy apart when he got it, and nothing much has changed!

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah the temptation is there but im aware of my own limitations!the next big power car i build will be set up by someone else and will be left,until i ask them to do some more to it,i will leave the setting up of that stuff to pros so i can enjoy the driving more!if i play with it ill kill it and never get to drive the dam thing!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If like me you have the turbo flat out, then an amal valve is ok, as an electronic boost control wont create more boost. You can only turn it down lol
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rich:is this a joke?as its the other way around!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

why would it be a joke? i hit 2.4 bar using an amal valve. Why would i want to fit a £200 electronic boost controller when its not going to make any difference. Its not going to make my turbo produce any more boost and all it will allow me to do is turn the boost down. I would have the electronic boost controller wide open on max gain so it wont be doing a thing other than allowing max boost.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
If like me you have the turbo flat out, then an amal valve is ok, as an electronic boost control wont create more boost. You can only turn it down lol
Um....

Most boost controllers work by bleeding air off the actuator, thereby preventing the wastegate from opening. This in effect allows the turbo to create more boost!

Without proper control, the boost would simply continue to rise until the engine or turbo or both went bang.

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rich,because as far as im aware it is physically impossible to turn boost below the actuator with a boost controller of ANY kind! an amal valve is only a fancy bleed valve,same as a new fangled boost controller,theres just more options and fancy flashing bits.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
Um....

Most boost controllers work by bleeding air off the actuator, thereby preventing the wastegate from opening. This in effect allows the turbo to create more boost!

Without proper control, the boost would simply continue to rise until the engine or turbo or both went bang.

JJ
Indeed, but if you have enough pre-load on the actuator on a t34 then it cant make any more boost as its just not capable. Do you think by fitting a blitz boost controller i will make any more boost then using actuator pre-load and a jet in the amal valve. Please tell me how you can pshyiscally overcome the limit of a turbo.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rich,because as far as im aware it is physically impossible to turn boost below the actuator with a boost controller of ANY kind! an amal valve is only a fancy bleed valve,same as a new fangled boost controller,theres just more options and fancy flashing bits.

This is absolutely correct. The actuator is the minimum boost level. I set mine to 14psi, and then use the controller to bleed the turbo up to 32psi peak, 28psi sustained

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Um....

JJ
Indeed, but if you have enough pre-load on the actuator on a t34 then it cant make any more boost as its just not capable. Do you think by fitting a blitz boost controller i will make any more boost then using actuator pre-load and a jet in the amal valve. Please tell me how you can pshyiscally overcome the limit of a turbo.
are you saying that your turbo is boosting as high as it can EVER go?that there is NO way it can EVER reach a higher boost level than you are running it?on your engine?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Um....

JJ

No arguments that if you are achieving the maximum boost that the turbo can make, then the Boost controller wont help you!

But to be fair, I find that my turbo creates quite different levels of boost in different air temps. As such, I find that I can accommodate these in the boost controller much more accurately.

I use mine with a T34 with a 0.63 zorst housing.

I have to say, if you are running 2.4 bar from a T34, then you are running more boost thatn I have with one - at 2.4bar, the controller would be maxing out anyway! At this point I would put my head in the sand and hide!

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Um....

JJ

No arguments that if you are achieving the maximum boost that the turbo can make, then the Boost controller wont help you!

But to be fair, I find that my turbo creates quite different levels of boost in different air temps. As such, I find that I can accommodate these in the boost controller much more accurately.

I use mine with a T34 with a 0.63 zorst housing.

I have to say, if you are running 2.4 bar from a T34, then you are running more boost thatn I have with one - at 2.4bar, the controller would be maxing out anyway! At this point I would put my head in the sand and hide!

JJ
yes it spikes 2.4 bar. how much more do you guys think i am going to ahieve with an aftermarket controller exactly?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

did have one (still do really) but had a problem with boost so i took the internals out of it and the car boosts fine now...my car has been mapped flat out for the injectors i've got so i have no need for a controller the valve is still in place but i dont get a high/low option
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

read the above mate,i dont do aftermarket,i was merely commenting on the fact that controllers increase,NOT decrease boost.if you were to remove the amal valve,then add a controller it would INCREASE the boost. i dont see why you would run both! an amal valve and a boost controller do the SAME thing just with different levels of technology etc....so you wouldnt fit BOTH,so if you fitted a boost controller then yes it would increase boost above what you have set on the actuator
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

read the above mate,i dont do aftermarket,i was merely commenting on the fact that controllers increase,NOT decrease boost.if you were to remove the amal valve,then add a controller it would INCREASE the boost. i dont see why you would run both! an amal valve and a boost controller do the SAME thing just with different levels of technology etc....so you wouldnt fit BOTH,so if you fitted a boost controller then yes it would increase boost above what you have set on the actuator
Big wig,

im not sayng putting an electronic boost ocntroller is suddenly going to reduce boost. Im saying it will only allow me to turn the boost down with the gain control. The point im trying to get accross, is why junk the amal valve when all the electronic one will be doing is set on max gain and wide open. Who said anything about running both lol
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right,down from your CURRENT setting,but UP from the base setting! i thought you meant if you fitted it you would only be able to turn it down from base setting! my head was ready to explode!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right,down from your CURRENT setting,but UP from the base setting! i thought you meant if you fitted it you would only be able to turn it down from base setting! my head was ready to explode!
To be fair, I thought the same from reading your post.

In answer to your question, if you unplugged the actuator pipe, would your car make more boost? If the answer is yes, then simply, the Boost controller would make more boost (if the hardware can take any more....) If the answer is no, then it wouldnt.

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM
phill2400
Regular Contributor

G- READDY BOOST CONTROL
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by phill2400
G- READDY BOOST CONTROL
Wassup Phil - You round on Sun? I am going to bring the cossie, with problems now ironed out!

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
phill2400
Regular Contributor

wots on sun if u mean weston then will be there might be in the lex though
Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wots on sun if u mean weston then will be there might be in the lex though
Yup - bring the cossie though!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Amal valve was buggered on mine so its got a dawes device fitted now and boosts fine, needs setting up properly though so I only have it set at 16 for now.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
phill2400
Regular Contributor

Might do ,see wot the weather is like Came up in the M3 last week might do that again dont have to drive then.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Might do ,see wot the weather is like Came up in the M3 last week might do that again dont have to drive then.
Fat lot of use you will be then for helping me assess my new Cossie conversion PMSL!!!

JJ
Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
phill2400
Regular Contributor

Havent had my new set up mapped yet so dont rearly want to rag it yet
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Havent had my new set up mapped yet so dont rearly want to rag it yet
What new setup? You kept that quiet!

JJ
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

only problem is, with a fixed bleed valve or whatever, boost pressure can change depending on ambient conditions. do you set it up for a hot day, or a cold day?

with a boost controller, it will compensate for any changes.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

half a turn on ur actuator rod..... stops it peaking this time of year
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
only problem is, with a fixed bleed valve or whatever, boost pressure can change depending on ambient conditions. do you set it up for a hot day, or a cold day?

This was my point also - the variation between hot and cold can be quite significant.

JJ
Old 11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

i never had this problem EVER!hmm.... always peaked at 34psi (im a boost junky and usually watch the peak! ) never any difference at all that i noticed,certainly never hit any boost cuts etc..