General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Warranty on second hand parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

I always TRY and treat people how i would like to be treated

so that means if its expensive then you expect less customer service

paul you ARE a top bloke,,,, but understand that comment for a moment
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and just like to also say that i got a mate of mine to buy a turbo off paul and he paied 100 quid,,,,, the turbo has outlived 4 engines and is STILL on another engine

just incase anyone thinks ive had a bad dealing with him,,, the turbo he sold my mate was spot on and CHEEP so worth the risk
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !

I always TRY and treat people how i would like to be treated

so that means if its expensive then you expect less customer service

Paul you ARE a top bloke,,,, but understand that comment for a moment
Ginge

Sorry but i dont understand your point at all
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you are willing to treat others as you would be treated but also at the same time if a engine is purchased for 2k and it fails in 2 months then its hard luck

i dont think you would accept anything that cost over 500 quid and failed in 2 months as acceptable and doubt you would use them again unless they actually worked with you on it,,,,,, that was my point

you changed the ABS sensor for rich as you prob bin more of them than you sell and you dont test them so maybe felt it was fair

thats the confusion,,,, but then ive NEVER had a faulty part from you so im just going by your replies based on what MIGHT happen should i get the bad lottery ticket
Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ginge

I bought a saff cossie from a member on here and it blew up on the way home from northampton ,,so your theory is wrong
I bought the car as seen and tested and the oil pump shit itself on the way home ,,I DIDNT MOAN ABOUT IT , thats what happens when you buy high performance second hand cars ,,it was fine when i test drove it , so the seller wasnt trying to rip me of , so thats that
Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Ginge

I bought a saff cossie from a member on here and it blew up on the way home from northampton ,,so your theory is wrong
I bought the car as seen and tested and the oil pump shit itself on the way home ,,I DIDNT MOAN ABOUT IT , thats what happens when you buy high performance second hand cars ,,it was fine when i test drove it , so the seller wasnt trying to rip me of , so thats that
paul 4k to you paul is gonna be alot less than 4k to a bloke in a council flat on 15k a year though i would have thought

also you an repair it cheeper too,,,, so again its not the same thing for a poorer bloke

the main thing we need to remember is that not everyone chooses to buy second hand as a way to save cash,,,,, some choose it as theres no option and the 10 yer old cossie game is that reason,,,,,,, and the priced reflect that too,,,,,, the price of second hand worn out parts is fucking mental on some scales,,,,,, some traders sell stuff for a few quid less than they was new JUST CAUSE THEY CAN,,,,,, not even talking about rare stuff either

some traders sell bumpers for 80 quid YET will chuck away 9 of them the next month due to space rather than offer them on ebay as it will reduce the value of the parts in the future

as said paul this isnt a thead based at any one person,,,, and defo not you but based at the way we are told we should accept things and the idiots who agree with it,,,, when in actual fact it aint the truth and we just get bullied into thinking thats the way life goes and another person gets rich feeding off the ignorant/scared man
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ginge

So if i sold a bloke a cossie engine , but he was well off your saying i should tell him to fuck off because he is loaded , and should refund a bloke because he lives in a council house

Sorry but everones money is the same to me

Altho i will try to help people who are struggling to run a cossie if i can , they will get the same warranty on an engine etc
Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A POLL, might have been easier to sort
my 2 pence is if it works thats it no time warrenty other than if it works when fitted thats it .
just like a car auction warrenty, you check it there and then and as soon as you drive off the auction site warrenty is nulled.
you could sell and good engine for alot of money then it gets thrashed and killed and you have to foot the bill stuff that.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul 4k to you Paul is gonna be alot less than 4k to a bloke in a council flat on 15k a year though i would have thought

also you an repair it cheeper too,,,, so again its not the same thing for a poorer bloke
and how is the pauls fault,,, ginge,, you really do talk shite
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
Paul 4k to you Paul is gonna be alot less than 4k to a bloke in a council flat on 15k a year though i would have thought

and how is the pauls fault,,, ginge,, you really do talk shite
Yet again Gareth ,,you read my mind
Old 07-01-2007, 12:08 PM
leecavturbo

Default sump/propshaft

as dave says , a compromise on known's
Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

Earlier on in the post you said electrical parts such as ecu's aint warrented but then you refunded a bloke with an abs sensor which is an electrical part????????????????/

Tbh you obviously cant put any guarentee on any mechanical part especially diffs and gearboxes out of none running cars, but youd still sell them the parts.

So what happens if someone gets a diff fitted by a garage for £££ than as soon as it put in its fucked, so they have to pay for it to be taken out and the old 1 replaced for £££ which imo is your fault. So would you refund all cost due to the faulty part or would what would you do????????? Or would you not sell anything you didnt prove as i wouldnt and i'm not a profesional business man
Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

Earlier on in the post you said electrical parts such as ecu's aint warrented but then you refunded a bloke with an abs sensor which is an electrical part????????????????/

Tbh you obviously cant put any guarentee on any mechanical part especially diffs and gearboxes out of none running cars, but youd still sell them the parts.

So what happens if someone gets a diff fitted by a garage for £££ than as soon as it put in its fucked, so they have to pay for it to be taken out and the old 1 replaced for £££ which imo is your fault. So would you refund all cost due to the faulty part or would what would you do????????? Or would you not sell anything you didnt prove as i wouldnt and i'm not a profesional business man
If i know a part isnt perfect ie ,,diff etc , then i wont sell it , simple

Or if i havent tested it i tell the buyer i dont know , sell it cheaper and then its there choice to risk it or not

I sold a diff before crimbo that i didnt have the option to test , so sold it at half price and the bloke took a chance and it turned out a good one but he new the risk ,,pay full money with a warranty or take a risk at half price ,,

Ref , the elecy parts ,,i was mainly talking about ECU"s , and i trusted Rich so was happy to replace
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

for buying second hand parts from a breaker id expect 7 days warranty.that gives you long enough to fit and check and thats what ive had in the past from most breakers.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

To be honest we can go through hundreds of different examples , BUT , the main point of the post was How long a warranty do you expect if parts are fitted and found to be in good working order
Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So therefore if you know all parts are in working order when you sell them, then isnt that warrenty enough????????????????

The only downside i can see with the braker business in general is that the people are buying parts for there 20yo cars because theres has broken or worn out probably due to age, but there replacing it with another standard item from a car that is of the same age.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

To be honest we can go through hundreds of different examples , BUT , the main point of the post was How long a warranty do you expect if parts are fitted and found to be in good working order
if its a second hand part and its found to work as it should after fitting it then i wouldnt expect to return it if it failed soon after,thats the risk you take when buying parts that could be 15 years old and perhaps have sat outside in a scrappy for months/years.if you expect a guarantee pay new prices and buy new.but there would be no harm in politely asking to see were you stand
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 PM
leecavturbo

fit. works. warrenty=none
Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

So therefore if you know all parts are in working order when you sell them, then isnt that warrenty enough????????????????

The only downside i can see with the braker business in general is that the people are buying parts for there 20yo cars because theres has broken or worn out probably due to age, but there replacing it with another standard item from a car that is of the same age.
Exactly why i did the post

Its not possible to sell thousands of parts without some faulty goods tho ,
so just wanted to know how others felt about buying 10 / 15 year old parts

As i have said i must judge all warranty claims at there own merrit as there are people out there who will try anything to get there money back for there old parts that they think they can send me back and i wont notice

I even had a bloke ring me up screaming down the phone that an ECU i sold him didnt work

I asked if ,,did you put your chip into it the correct way round ??

What chip he said

He hadnt even put a chip in it even tho i told him all my ECU"s come without a chip

He said sorry and said he felt a right tit

At least he called me back an hour later and said the car run perfect
Old 07-01-2007, 12:48 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

paul i think yu should warranty all your engines for at least 40,000 miles!! ill pick one up tomorrow! oh by the way i live in a council house so thats 400 quid right?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
Paul i think yu should warranty all your engines for at least 40,000 miles!! ill pick one up tomorrow! oh by the way i live in a council house so thats 400 quid right?

Will you take 2 from me at 300 each ???
Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

yes
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Craig

the question is what warranty you expect once its fitted and found to be in good working order ,,not how long you have to fit it
If thats the case then it's fair to say none imo. If something fails a week later then whats to say its not because of incorrect fitting?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 PM
morch
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

If the part was reconditioned then i would expect a warranty, but as you say, you have not got x-ray vision so how can anyone tell if a 2nd handpart will last 5mins or 5 years? All that can be done is to say it was working fine when it was sent and was working fine when re-fiited so if it dies in a weeks time then tough luck. I have never expected any kind of warranty from a breakers yard.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
sexr3i
isn't it

its all on good faith, thats how you get a good reputation. fair quality, fair price, fair service and treat everyone how you'd expect to be treated.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

my dads a vauxhall breaker

he gives a 30day warranty on engines but does not cover fitting or removal of any parts if fitted and found faulty he will replace the part but not pay for removal or re-fitting

most small parts ppl do not ask about warranty and normaly does not get things back if there only a few quid

one thing he has had to do over the past few years is invest in tamper proof stickers there little silvers stickers that when removed leave a void marking these stop ppl sending there own faluty parts back and this used to happen ALOT and some ppl still try to argue now lol
Old 07-01-2007, 03:30 PM
leecavturbo

Originally Posted by sbd16v
one thing he has had to do over the past few years is invest in tamper proof stickers there little silvers stickers that when removed leave a void marking these stop ppl sending there own faluty parts back and this used to happen ALOT and some ppl still try to argue now lol
top tip there ^
Old 07-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul i was talking about a engine some people sell as a "goodun" and then ask for MORE money,,, then the engines fucked after 2 months,,,,, sorry but then there should be some sort of comeback

if the engine is sold CHEEP then how can you expect a warranty

the other post was refering to a 400 quid crank,,,,, that aint give away money and hes way of sorting it originally was to get it ground down to .25 making it a 200 to 250 quid crank,,,,, the only think he done wrong was TRUST the trader,,,,,,,, thats the issue here

TRUST,,,,,, you buy from north yorks are more than ebay as you expect the pro to understand a good one,,,,,, you pay the premium,,,,, anyone who buys a diff untested for half price is a fool imo,,,, aint worth the gamble at that cash

i bought a cossie engine unheard for 800 quid complete with everything,,, that was a gamble and if it went bad i would have accepted it BUT i bought it KNOWING i can get some of my cash back if it went bad,,,,, thats why i payed 800 in a gamble,,,,,,, paying 2k on a gamble,,,, nope would i fuck

sbd16v,,,,, sorry mate but how can your old man not expect to pay the labour of a fucked part he sold untested,,,,, hes willing to make money but aint willing to take the risk other than change it

at some point the government WILL crack down on this just like they do other things when people realise just how bad they get treated for buying second hand compared to new

didnt cossymad get stuck with the bill for RECOMENDING a bodyshopn for a blokes nova,,,,, that bloke folded and went skint ( suprise in this game aint it ) but chris NEVER and didnt expect to loose,,,,, but he did and had to pay out and all he done was sell the parts and give another blokes number who fucked it up

whats more unfair a bloke selling parts untested and refusing to pay labour OR saying "use this bloke mate" and footing the bill when the guy fucks up ?

gareth i dont talk shite mate,,,, i speak my mind and a fact of the matter is saying " things break at the drop of the hat" is shite service and no other business OTHER than second hand seems to get away with it
Old 07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

gareth i dont talk shite mate,,,, i speak my mind and a fact of the matter is saying " things break at the drop of the hat" is shite service and no other business OTHER than second hand seems to get away with it
its not shite service! its about waying up the cost of changing parts with the cost of them braking|! in industry where it would cost millions to keep a machine 100% brakedown free we except that a machine will brake down! Now in the aerospace industry we cant have brakedowns so the maintaince is alot more thorough but also more expensive! to try and limit the amount of things breaking at the drop of a hat!
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

gareth thats still my point though,,,,,, cost vs risk,,,,,, i dont think that its very good if the cost is high but STILL has the same risk,,,, im sure the aerospace world would agree if they bought stuff from there supliers as they need there stuff to run 24hours a day YET when it fails they get told,,, "sorry mate,,, sold as seen"

we go to traders to help reduce the risk,,,, there will STILL be risk BUT you wont expect to buy a engine for 2k and have it fail quicker than the MOT

but a alt for 50 quid thats 180 new,,,, thats a risk and maybe worth it to some

starter motor for 30 quid thats 200 new,,,, another risk

gearbox for 400 thats 650 to get a rebuilt one AINT worth the risk of it going in 2 months IMO,,,,,, prob the reason why most GENERAL breakers charge 50 quid for a box

back in the day im sure it was even more simple, \

plastic 5 quid
metal 10 quid
shiney 15 quid
electrical 20 quid
gearbox 50
engine 200

that was the general prices most charged,,,,, ok now the game has advanced a little but the fact of the matter secondhand cossie spares are MORE likley to fuck up than they was 10 years ago due to wear and tear,,, meaning the prices should reflect that or am i wrong
Old 07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

but its only you who is saying that the cost is high! i for one think the engines ive seen sold by the breakers are reasonably priced!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i think that 2k for a engine with unknown milage IS high,,,, its alot for a gamble imo

but thats why i choose not to spend that on a gamble,,,,, and even when i bought a second hand engine i changed as many parts as possible to HELP reduce the rebuild risk,,,,, infact TOO much looking at it now bought engine for 800 quid and spent about 500 quid on parts refreshing it incase it failed before i even started the car to hear it knock its pants off

good fucking job the car was nicked as FUCK ME would i be pissed
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

right thats enough talking about bollox,,, time to finish rewiring my flat that i started a while ago as its getting dark and ,,,,,,, well its the lights i need to finish off but me fucking small screwdriver is in my garage,,,, 2 miles away

ill argue with you lot later when i can see what keys im hitting
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ginge
You keep blabbing on about an engine for 2k

How much do you think a brand new cossie engine from ford was ( when you could buy them ) ??

I think your eyes would pop out if you looked ,,
So if your going on a % Point of view i think you will find a cossie engine is very very very cheap at 2k ,

And always remember that you wont take a gamble but there are thousands of people that do , and how many bad stories do you hear about compared to how many parts are sold ?? again NOT MANY , and most you do hear about are e/bay sales
Old 07-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

12k paul,,,,,, remember im a parts man at ford for my actual job

used to be 7k though
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

12k Paul,,,,,, remember im a parts man at ford for my actual job

used to be 7k though
How can 2k for a good running engine be that expensive then

And they were 13k mate always have been and never for sale for 7k
Old 07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul dont make me hack into my pc at work from the pc in the other room to prove it mate

there was cossie engines for 7k mate,,,,,,, seriously there was !!!

2k for a 10 year old engine mate,,,,,, how much was they when NEW though and the other thing is in the OLD days the engines got rebuilt,,, all the new ford engines are short engine exchanges hence the cheeper prices

so

ll tell ya what cossie had the 7k engine,,,, but i cant be asked to go into my little girls room to then find the cleaner has turned my pc off
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

They were selling them off about 5 years ago still on pallets new for £1500
Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES